I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Sir Chris Hoy and Prostate Cancer

User
Posted 20 Oct 2024 at 08:22

Sir Chris Hoy reveals devastating health update on his cancer battle….

This is very sad news. He is, along with Andy Murray, one of my all time hero’s. An incredible sportsman and such a nice guy. I only hope like with Bill Turnbull that him going public about this may encourage other men to get tested.

I wish him all the best on his journey.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-13978969/Olympic-cycling-legend-Sir-Chris-Hoy-reveals-cancer-terminal-says-feels-lucky.html

Derek.

User
Posted 20 Oct 2024 at 12:14
Well done Chris for announcing it. I’m guessing it’s Movember time of year so it’s in the spotlight at moment. I think the use of Terminal isn’t correct though. I’m guessing he’s just on HT for life like myself. I prefer to label it incurable. Terminal is more for when nothing is controlling it and you have a year max to live. Best wishes to him and all of you 🙏
User
Posted 20 Oct 2024 at 08:22

Sir Chris Hoy reveals devastating health update on his cancer battle….

This is very sad news. He is, along with Andy Murray, one of my all time hero’s. An incredible sportsman and such a nice guy. I only hope like with Bill Turnbull that him going public about this may encourage other men to get tested.

I wish him all the best on his journey.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-13978969/Olympic-cycling-legend-Sir-Chris-Hoy-reveals-cancer-terminal-says-feels-lucky.html

Derek.

User
Posted 20 Oct 2024 at 09:48

I feel his pain and it highlights even the fittest of us(and he was a super super fit guy)are not immune from this disease.

But will this help towards a national screening program?? We shall see 

User
Posted 20 Oct 2024 at 13:13

Yes I agree,I find terminal is a nasty word and commonly used,aren't we all terminal?we all die at some stage.

I hear off the media he has been given 2 to 4 years I don't believe that,it will be at least 6.

User
Posted 21 Oct 2024 at 07:35

There was someone from PCUK on BBC Breakfast this morning aroun 7.20 if anyone is interested.

User
Posted 20 Oct 2024 at 20:12

With prostate cancer not being a lifestyle cancer (i.e. not caused by being overweight, eating cured meats, smoking, alcohol, etc., or at least, the obvious lifestyle issues are not responsible for them), it does mean that a significant number of healthy men get it. I spent 3 days on a general cancer ward during my treatment. Sorry this is a bit crude, but for many of the patients, you could see why they might have ended up there, frequently popping out for a cigarette, or looked like they've been drinking heavily for years, or massively overweight, etc. The three prostate cancer patients were all quite fit, me a cyclist, also a tennis player and I forget what the third did, but something sporty too. Sometime afterwards, I mentioned this to one of the nurses, and she said I'm far from the only person to comment on that. She asked if there were any testicular cancer patients in there at the time, and I said not that I knew of. She said it's the same with them, usually very healthy, and often around age 25. That's the difference between lifestyle cancers and those which are not. She also pointed out that most of those others who I might have guessed were older than me probably were younger.

Of course, even for many lifestyle cancers, lifestyle is only a contributory factor in some of the cases, often less than half. You are still at risk even if you lead a perfect life. Having had prostate cancer doesn't make us immune from other cancers, although it does mean that if you had early bladder or possibly kidney cancer, those would have been picked up in the associated prostate scans.

Edited by member 20 Oct 2024 at 20:16  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Oct 2024 at 22:11

The way I understood it there is a difference between incurable and terminal. Metastatic prostate cancer is generally incurable (although even that has been called into question in recent years, particularly as a result of improved scans) but modern treatments are so powerful that men can live for many many years with metastatic prostate cancer and still therefore end up dying of something else.

The outlook apparently depends not just on the degree of spread but even more so on the responsiveness of the cancer to hormone treatment and/or chemotherapy, and this seems to vary enormously across individuals. We don't know the details of Chris Hoy's situation. It is possible that he has misunderstood or that his doctor is not aware of how the general outlook for stage 4 prostate cancer differs from other cancers. But it is also possible that he is unfortunate enough to have a type of prostate cancer which is or has become hormone resistant and is not responding to chemotherapy. This may be be why they are being more pessimistic in his case. But either way of course, let's hope that he stays well for as long as possible.

User
Posted 21 Oct 2024 at 00:11

KS25 When you have exhausted all the hormone treatments and chemotherapy isn’t working and scans show your cancer has metastasised to at least six areas of your body. You don’t misunderstand. You ask “ how long” … in our case the answer in July was two years. My heart goes out to Chris and his family and to anyone facing this devestating news. 

Some days you just have to create your own sunshine...... 

User
Posted 21 Oct 2024 at 08:20

I heard on the BBC that the government are seriously thinking of introducing national screening for PC in black men and men who have a family history,this is great news and the ball has to start moving somewhere but I had neither and I am stage 4 and so called terminal!! What about blokes like me!

User
Posted 21 Oct 2024 at 08:27

Really sad news, sure Sir Chris will have positive mental attitude in abundance.

Remember when I got diagnosed . Andy Ripley the Superstar Rugby Player who posted regularly on here  before his demise in 2010 was a tremendous ambassador for our Community and I read all his updates some years later .

Towards the end though the posts from his daughter were a harrowing read  but she said her dad felt it was important to keep them going.

Really hope Sir Chris gets a few more years, he really deserves it 

Edited by member 21 Oct 2024 at 08:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Oct 2024 at 09:23

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Andy Ripley the Superstar Rugby Player who posted regularly on here  before his demise in 2010 was a tremendous ambassador for our Community

I didn't realise that Andy Ripley had died of our disease. In a BBC interview he'd said when asked:

WHAT IS YOUR MESSAGE TO OTHER PEOPLE WITH THE SAME CONDITION?

Everybody is different and they need to go their own way, their own route.

I would say to them not to give up their control - it is their cancer.

My life has been enhanced and since I had cancer, I have never loved so much or been loved so much.

Find out what you can about your cancer and make your choices.

Enjoy every day and remember life is wonderful and a thing of value.

User
Posted 21 Oct 2024 at 14:03
Interesting re cycling, my Dad was a keen cyclist all his life and PC killed him in just 3 years despite having curative intent radio therapy.

User
Posted 21 Oct 2024 at 15:22

In my young days I was a very keen cyclist and many years letter I suffered from serious prostatitis. It made life difficult from my fifties until I was diagnosed with cancer in my early seventies. I have a hypothesis, totally without any scientific evidence, that prostatitis being an inflammation of the prostate,  a continuous inflammation/irritation of the gland for many years could cause cancer. I have a friend who cycled regularly 5/10 miles a year in his fifties and sixties until his diagnosis of prostate cancer. Of course anecdotal evidence is something one could build a hypothesis which would require a serious scientific study.

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 20 Oct 2024 at 08:45

Terrible news. Poor bloke.☹️

My heart goes out to his young children, especially as their mum has MS.

Edited by member 20 Oct 2024 at 08:49  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 20 Oct 2024 at 09:48

I feel his pain and it highlights even the fittest of us(and he was a super super fit guy)are not immune from this disease.

But will this help towards a national screening program?? We shall see 

User
Posted 20 Oct 2024 at 12:02

Again a relatively young person. I hope this will make the government policy makers wake up that a screening program is required. It's such a shame that it takes the terminal diagnosis of celebrity to generate this kind of debate. Since we seem to have a knee jerk government in office you wonder if something might finally happen.

User
Posted 20 Oct 2024 at 12:14
Well done Chris for announcing it. I’m guessing it’s Movember time of year so it’s in the spotlight at moment. I think the use of Terminal isn’t correct though. I’m guessing he’s just on HT for life like myself. I prefer to label it incurable. Terminal is more for when nothing is controlling it and you have a year max to live. Best wishes to him and all of you 🙏
User
Posted 20 Oct 2024 at 13:13

Yes I agree,I find terminal is a nasty word and commonly used,aren't we all terminal?we all die at some stage.

I hear off the media he has been given 2 to 4 years I don't believe that,it will be at least 6.

User
Posted 20 Oct 2024 at 13:38

There are plenty of examples of people who hold out a lot longer with stage 4. Let’s hope Chris can be one of them, along with as many of us as possible. We all have our particular difficulties,  but kids the age of his plus his wife’s MS diagnosis make his diagnosis a particularly tough one. It sounds like he is in a good place mentally though. Wishing everyone a lovely wet (at least is Wimbledon) Sunday, it will be an afternoon in front of the TV for me. Gloucester v Leicester in the rugby followed by Liverpool Chelsea. 

User
Posted 20 Oct 2024 at 13:47
It is most probably just a coincidence but many men on this forum over the years have mentioned that they were keen cylists if not professionals like the Sir Chris Hoy and I wonder if any statical research has been done on this?

Undoubtedly a screening programme would lead to more men being treated earlier but the point should be made that men need to be proactive not just thinking they only need to consider PCa when they experience symptoms, as many men do not experience symptoms at an earlier stage where treatment can be more effective.
Barry
User
Posted 20 Oct 2024 at 20:12

With prostate cancer not being a lifestyle cancer (i.e. not caused by being overweight, eating cured meats, smoking, alcohol, etc., or at least, the obvious lifestyle issues are not responsible for them), it does mean that a significant number of healthy men get it. I spent 3 days on a general cancer ward during my treatment. Sorry this is a bit crude, but for many of the patients, you could see why they might have ended up there, frequently popping out for a cigarette, or looked like they've been drinking heavily for years, or massively overweight, etc. The three prostate cancer patients were all quite fit, me a cyclist, also a tennis player and I forget what the third did, but something sporty too. Sometime afterwards, I mentioned this to one of the nurses, and she said I'm far from the only person to comment on that. She asked if there were any testicular cancer patients in there at the time, and I said not that I knew of. She said it's the same with them, usually very healthy, and often around age 25. That's the difference between lifestyle cancers and those which are not. She also pointed out that most of those others who I might have guessed were older than me probably were younger.

Of course, even for many lifestyle cancers, lifestyle is only a contributory factor in some of the cases, often less than half. You are still at risk even if you lead a perfect life. Having had prostate cancer doesn't make us immune from other cancers, although it does mean that if you had early bladder or possibly kidney cancer, those would have been picked up in the associated prostate scans.

Edited by member 20 Oct 2024 at 20:16  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Oct 2024 at 20:31

Very sad news. Too many men diagnosed incidentally after going to the doctor about something else. Me included and many more on this forum I’m sure.

I hope his positive attitude helps him through and that he outlives his prognosis.
Good for him raising awareness too.

Ido4

User
Posted 20 Oct 2024 at 21:12

I agree, in that case I have been terminal for well over 5 years, I suspect he will have way more than 4 years and he is super fit.

User
Posted 20 Oct 2024 at 22:11

The way I understood it there is a difference between incurable and terminal. Metastatic prostate cancer is generally incurable (although even that has been called into question in recent years, particularly as a result of improved scans) but modern treatments are so powerful that men can live for many many years with metastatic prostate cancer and still therefore end up dying of something else.

The outlook apparently depends not just on the degree of spread but even more so on the responsiveness of the cancer to hormone treatment and/or chemotherapy, and this seems to vary enormously across individuals. We don't know the details of Chris Hoy's situation. It is possible that he has misunderstood or that his doctor is not aware of how the general outlook for stage 4 prostate cancer differs from other cancers. But it is also possible that he is unfortunate enough to have a type of prostate cancer which is or has become hormone resistant and is not responding to chemotherapy. This may be be why they are being more pessimistic in his case. But either way of course, let's hope that he stays well for as long as possible.

User
Posted 20 Oct 2024 at 22:35

I’m really, really saddened by this news. It is so scary to know that PCa can develop to such a life threatening extent without exhibiting any symptoms.
My thoughts and best wishes go out to Chris and his family.

User
Posted 21 Oct 2024 at 00:11

KS25 When you have exhausted all the hormone treatments and chemotherapy isn’t working and scans show your cancer has metastasised to at least six areas of your body. You don’t misunderstand. You ask “ how long” … in our case the answer in July was two years. My heart goes out to Chris and his family and to anyone facing this devestating news. 

Some days you just have to create your own sunshine...... 

User
Posted 21 Oct 2024 at 07:35

There was someone from PCUK on BBC Breakfast this morning aroun 7.20 if anyone is interested.

User
Posted 21 Oct 2024 at 08:20

I heard on the BBC that the government are seriously thinking of introducing national screening for PC in black men and men who have a family history,this is great news and the ball has to start moving somewhere but I had neither and I am stage 4 and so called terminal!! What about blokes like me!

User
Posted 21 Oct 2024 at 08:27

Really sad news, sure Sir Chris will have positive mental attitude in abundance.

Remember when I got diagnosed . Andy Ripley the Superstar Rugby Player who posted regularly on here  before his demise in 2010 was a tremendous ambassador for our Community and I read all his updates some years later .

Towards the end though the posts from his daughter were a harrowing read  but she said her dad felt it was important to keep them going.

Really hope Sir Chris gets a few more years, he really deserves it 

Edited by member 21 Oct 2024 at 08:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Oct 2024 at 09:23

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Andy Ripley the Superstar Rugby Player who posted regularly on here  before his demise in 2010 was a tremendous ambassador for our Community

I didn't realise that Andy Ripley had died of our disease. In a BBC interview he'd said when asked:

WHAT IS YOUR MESSAGE TO OTHER PEOPLE WITH THE SAME CONDITION?

Everybody is different and they need to go their own way, their own route.

I would say to them not to give up their control - it is their cancer.

My life has been enhanced and since I had cancer, I have never loved so much or been loved so much.

Find out what you can about your cancer and make your choices.

Enjoy every day and remember life is wonderful and a thing of value.

User
Posted 21 Oct 2024 at 14:03
Interesting re cycling, my Dad was a keen cyclist all his life and PC killed him in just 3 years despite having curative intent radio therapy.

User
Posted 21 Oct 2024 at 15:22

In my young days I was a very keen cyclist and many years letter I suffered from serious prostatitis. It made life difficult from my fifties until I was diagnosed with cancer in my early seventies. I have a hypothesis, totally without any scientific evidence, that prostatitis being an inflammation of the prostate,  a continuous inflammation/irritation of the gland for many years could cause cancer. I have a friend who cycled regularly 5/10 miles a year in his fifties and sixties until his diagnosis of prostate cancer. Of course anecdotal evidence is something one could build a hypothesis which would require a serious scientific study.

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 21 Oct 2024 at 16:56

They do say don’t  cycle before a PSA test because it can give a higher reading. So as you say, it looks like constant irritation over the years could cause it. 

User
Posted 21 Oct 2024 at 18:49

Even if it were proved that cycling slightly increases the risk of prostate related disease, I think the exercise health benefits of the sport would outweigh that.

User
Posted 22 Oct 2024 at 05:44

Think you might have meant more than 5 to 10 miles a 'year', otherwise take your point.

Barry
User
Posted 22 Oct 2024 at 08:22

I know it is all anecdotal, I am also a cyclist and often wonder if there is a link between my hobby and my diagnosis. I had an undiagnosed pretty enlarged prostate, I say undiagnosed because, PC for me came before I was told I had a pretty large prostate! My only symptoms prior was waking up several times to wee during the night and sometimes was a struggle. I went for a PSA test only because my GP (who I happened to know personally as well) had died from the disease. This prompted me to do a test and as they say the rest is history!

Edited by member 22 Oct 2024 at 08:23  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Oct 2024 at 08:57

I too felt that the wording of news reports over the weekend could have been misleading, but everyone is different.

He is also trying to sell a book at the moment and perhaps that led into a bit of a headline from the publicists to boost sales.

A lot of us "incurables" on this forum have had the same / similar prognosis of 3 to 5 years.

I am all for a national screening program, but also want to see more done for the Incurables too.

Little is heard about new treatments such as Olaparib or Immunotherapy now widely available in the US to men in our condition, to help prolong our lives.

User
Posted 22 Oct 2024 at 17:42
Admittedly in my niavity, I would have thought that top/elite/professional athletes, artists etc are smothered in tests regularly, even just for insurance purposes? Also via really good private insurance, I'm sure the likes of BUPA must back a lot of sportsmen (men here justified as talking about prostates).
Surely a simple PSA blood test 'could' be a lifesaver when included with other tests?
Peter