Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

HT during radiotherapy - ht,radiotherapy,help

User
Posted 08 May 2014 at 19:44

Hi

Does anyone know if Zoladex injections continue during high dose brachytherapy followed by radiotherapy?  DH will have had 4 months HT before this. Gleason 3+4 ,diagnosed last Sept,low dose brachytherapy cancelled last minute (doubled PSA-found late because sample lost)in January. Currently PSA lowest ever ie 3.5.

User
Posted 09 May 2014 at 08:28

Hi,

the best people to ask would be your oncology team, however I'd say the HT would continue.

I'm around half way through RT and am continuing with my regular Zolodex injections.

Though I'm not up for any brachy work at all.

I do know that one of my RT companions (you meet a great bunch of lads during the treatment) is having RT plus brachy and he is still on his Zolly injections.

So I'd guess that HT will continue as it is a parallel treatment path.

Kevin

User
Posted 09 May 2014 at 08:49
Hi, Thanks for that ,Kevin. All the best with your treatment. I was asking because my husband dislikes asking anything!
User
Posted 09 May 2014 at 10:55
Hi - I had 3DRT, Zoladex continued whilst doing so,

Ray - yet to reinstate profile, for now: circa 47 months Zoladex plus 1 month 3DRT - No cancer treatment for last 5 years.

User
Posted 10 Jun 2014 at 00:26

Hi Guys,

You can read all about it if you search adjuvant and neo-adjuvant HT but as I understand it the basic ideas are as follows:

1 - HT before RT will slightly shrink the prostate tumour, giving a smaller target to focus the RT upon and thereby reduce collateral damage to surrounding tissues.

2 - RT does not actually kill cancer cells outright, instead it damages them and makes them fail to reproduce properly, so an irradiated tumour will die slowly over a year or so as it's cells fail to reproduce.  During this time HT helps subdue dying cancer cells.

So mostly doctors seem to recommend 3 years of HT with RT after 6-12 months.

:)

Dave

User
Posted 10 Jun 2014 at 08:14
Thanks for this information -v.helpful. Going to collect DH from hospital today ,has had uncomfortable time following high dose brachy,hope this will soon resolve at home.

Chris

User
Posted 20 Dec 2014 at 15:45
Hi, you have worried me now as we were told no hormones would be needed, I thought the hormones were to shrink the prostate before bracy or EBRT? As my husbands prostate is normal size we thought that was why it isn't needed, so it looks like it helps with the general process too? I myself have had zoladex injections, it is for ladies too and I refused the 6th one as I was putting on so much weight, but I had no life threatening illness so I think refusing was completely different! I ballooned 3 stone in 5 months!
User
Posted 29 Dec 2014 at 18:06

Hi, sorry to cause you more worry.  My husband had Zoladex until his op(high dose brachy ) .Then stopped by oncologist  during radiotherapy and since(4 months later).  His prostate is small to average.  No treatment needed at moment, next appt Feb  .  Z was not as bad as feared, bit of weight gain but he was able to go to the gym every day.  Hope this helps you.El.