I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

What will tomorrow bring?

User
Posted 14 May 2014 at 21:51
Well I'm going to give this a try now I have something to say.

Anyway, to recap. Last oncology visit showed a small rise in PSA. So scans were ordered and PSA test and tomorrow we get the results.

Choices seem to be, stay on Stillboestrill, chemo or Abiraterone. Time will tell.

Cheers

Allison

User
Posted 14 May 2014 at 23:15
Hope all goes well for you Allison and John.

The same goes for you too Barry.

Re Abby tabs, another topic for discussion at Westminster in June.

Chris. xxxx

User
Posted 15 May 2014 at 16:06
Good news Allison, steady state is always good. I am hoping for that in just a few weeks time! Must be a relief and lots of tools in the box for later!
User
Posted 15 May 2014 at 19:23

Nice onehttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif Allison, so so happy. Beers are on me at Leicester

Si xx

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 15 May 2014 at 19:33
Allison, relief. A steady ship sounds good right now, doesn't it!

Love Lyn x

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 15 May 2014 at 21:38

Hi Allison,

Yes good news indeed, you are so right to keep the extra tools in the box for a rainy day. I too hope that you are relaxing this evening and enjoying a well deserved feet up moment. The stress of waiting for results is immense.  I hope you are swatting for our Learning course, because I am having a wobbly moment and may need your help.http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif

Lots of Love

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 16 May 2014 at 06:57

Fabulous news Allison, probably the best you could get. The longer you can leave those aggressive treatments in reserve the better.

Mick will be so happy when I update him in a few hours time.

Love to you both not long before we see you at Leicester.

xx

M&M

User
Posted 16 May 2014 at 12:52

Hi Alison

Glad to hear this news, relax and enjoy this bit of  beautiful sunshine we have forcasted for the weekend. 

Lesley xx

User
Posted 16 May 2014 at 18:13

Hello you both,

Glad to hear the news.  Take care of yourselves, and enjoy the better weather.  Really looking forward to seeing you in Leicester, if not before!

Cheers,

Peter

User
Posted 18 Aug 2014 at 13:13
Hi Allison, hope everything has gone okay today - you are on my mind x

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Aug 2014 at 15:56
Hi Allison

well another 3 month deferment will give you both a chance to welcome your new grand baby in a few weeks time and also give you time to mull over future decisions, after all they are Major ones.

I am divided on the answer to Abiraterone or chemo then enzalutamide. If you had the private option I think you can still go Chemo abiraterone and then Enzalutamide. One thing that I would be worried about is leaving any of them too much longer, I am not convinced that Enzalutamide is much help if it is given too late.

Abiraterone seems to work for varying lengths of time look at Si and his amazing success with chemo plus abiraterone. I think I would see what other members here say and make a list of questions for your Oncologist with a pros and cons view in the back of your mind.

As for the return to work/redundancy options I think you know my view, the money should be enough to tide you over and it means you do not have to worry all the time when you are at work. Your company have been so good to give you this option. With your skills and experience you would find agency/consultancy work quite easily and you can usually make that as flexible as you like. Keep your hand in just in case you feel you need to go back full time eventually.

Research your employment options and get to see how things work out for your family situation before you make the decision and then when it comes to the time the decision should be easier to make.

xxxx

Mandy

User
Posted 18 Aug 2014 at 15:59

Hi Allison,

Goodish news, yes, and time for you both to make informed choices.

That's a real bonus.

As for you taking redundancy?  Heck YES! http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif

You say you haven't missed the office...so go for it. I think we have all been made painfully aware over the years that time really is precious.

Good Luck to you both, and we're looking forward to seeing the news of the new arrival.

George

User
Posted 18 Aug 2014 at 16:34

Hi Allison,

Not too bad, gets you through the last of the summer and the baby http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

Now my answers, redundancy if you intend to share your pay-off with me, then go for ithttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif, but if you intend keeping it all to yourselfhttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif then keep on working.

Next treatment, well its a big thumbs up from me for Abbi, no side effects and now 12 months and counting.

All the best 

Si xx

User
Posted 18 Aug 2014 at 17:00

Hi Allison,

I can't help with your decisions re treatment I'm afraid......but whatever you both decide I wish you well... 

I took redundancy / early retirement at 58 ( I'm 63 now ) and have never once regretted my decision...

For me, it's a no brainer.... If you can manage financially and you have not missed the office environment,  spend time with your man!http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif 

Jobs will always be available, so enjoy the hopefully many years you have together.. 

Best Wishes 

Luther

PS ... Hope all goes well with your first grand daughter !.. http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif

User
Posted 18 Aug 2014 at 17:31

Pleased for you over the three month respite, as you say, plenty of thinking time for the next round of treatment. As always I send my love to you and John !

Fiona.

User
Posted 18 Aug 2014 at 18:08
Hi Allison

Really good to hear about the 3 month reprieve. It must be so exciting waiting for the arrival of your grand daughter.

We just found out that we are going to be first time grandparents in March.

I can't advise about the treatment but agree at how brill Si is doing on his treatment path.

Redundancy or not, you know that there is only you who can make that decision. But as we all know this insidious disease does give us a different outlook on life.

Take care

Bri x

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 14 May 2014 at 22:26

Hi Alison

Hope all goes ok tomorrow and you get some sound advice, thinking of you. 

Lesley x 

User
Posted 14 May 2014 at 22:26
Hi Allison,

All the best for tomorrow, I'm off having chemo and will get my blood print outs at same time so it's fingers crossed for the two of us.

Our results will probably cross....not sure where on this site at the moment though!

Life is for living

Barry (alias Barrington )

PS

Have you seen latest NICE latest disaster, Abiraterone will not be allowed prior to chemo.....check with your Onco on this tomorrow.

Edited by member 14 May 2014 at 22:29  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 May 2014 at 22:32

Hi Allison,

Here's hoping that tomorrow brings good news, sunny skies are forecast , so I am hoping that news for you both is good news.

Thinking of you both

lots of love

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 14 May 2014 at 23:15
Hope all goes well for you Allison and John.

The same goes for you too Barry.

Re Abby tabs, another topic for discussion at Westminster in June.

Chris. xxxx

User
Posted 14 May 2014 at 23:24

Good luck for tomorrow Allison, Mick had bloods done today we should also get results tomorrow.

Our main interest is to see what his bone marrow results are ..everything else now is not important.

I think seeing Simon's amazing results on Abbi tabs you should see if that is an option, of course if things are ticking along with no real progression then stick with what is working. Course John might want to try something different is it has less side effects and does as good or a better job.

thinking of you

xx

Mo

User
Posted 15 May 2014 at 07:06
All the very best for today Allison and John

Bri x

User
Posted 15 May 2014 at 07:48

Allison & John all the best for today, will be thinking of you

Si xx

User
Posted 15 May 2014 at 08:15

Hoping that you, John and Barry (the three musketeers, all for one and all that,...)

All have really good results, sending positive thoughts,.... Sid.  (((HUGS))) http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

What matters is not the years in your life, but the life in your years!
User
Posted 15 May 2014 at 08:34
Wishing you all the very best, Allison and John, love Janet
User
Posted 15 May 2014 at 10:43

Hello Allison and John,

All the best for today: we'll be thinking of you. Hop you get to see a good Oncologist today.

Love from us both,

Di & Peter

User
Posted 15 May 2014 at 12:02

Will be thinking of you both.

Fiona. x

User
Posted 15 May 2014 at 12:08

Thinking of you both....good luck

Steve

User
Posted 15 May 2014 at 14:15
Hello all and thanks for the good wishes. I am pleased to say that despite another rise in PSA (3.3 to 3.9) in 6 weeks, we have decided to stay on current treatments. The bone scan showed no new mets, though the hip one looks really big now and this is probably the one causing the trouble. There is some kidney extension, though creatine was ok so just keeping an eye out for troubles there but no action. Oncologist did suggest radiotherapy to the meg hip for pain, but John wanted to save that for the future as the tramadol works well for him.

All in all, very pleased and this ship us now sailing in calmer waters for a bit. Wishing and praying for the same for others here.

Love

Allison xxx

User
Posted 15 May 2014 at 16:06
Good news Allison, steady state is always good. I am hoping for that in just a few weeks time! Must be a relief and lots of tools in the box for later!
User
Posted 15 May 2014 at 17:08
Great to hear Allison and good luck in a few weeks Paul

Bri

User
Posted 15 May 2014 at 19:19
Hi Allison,

Good news and I think you are doing the right thing by staying on the same meds and leaving RT for back up.

My results were not so good and they are now on a new thread.....All Topics..General Discussion....Personal Stories....15 years on ..continued. If you can't find it, basically my liver bloods have jumped up quite a bit after 2nd dose of chemo.

Not sure that this is the right place but I've had lots of emails from Sadie today and she is encouraging us to find our own threads away from just New Conversations, don't know yet whether that's going to work out?

Life is for living

Barry (alias Barrington )

User
Posted 15 May 2014 at 19:23

Nice onehttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif Allison, so so happy. Beers are on me at Leicester

Si xx

User
Posted 15 May 2014 at 19:33
Allison, relief. A steady ship sounds good right now, doesn't it!

Love Lyn x

User
Posted 15 May 2014 at 19:35
Hi Allison,

I'm delighted to see such a good result from John's appointment.

It was obvious this was a big worry for you both, but honestly, this really is good news.

Hope you are both 'chilling out' tonight and looking forward to seeing you for the big fun weekend in June,

George

User
Posted 15 May 2014 at 21:38

Hi Allison,

Yes good news indeed, you are so right to keep the extra tools in the box for a rainy day. I too hope that you are relaxing this evening and enjoying a well deserved feet up moment. The stress of waiting for results is immense.  I hope you are swatting for our Learning course, because I am having a wobbly moment and may need your help.http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif

Lots of Love

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 16 May 2014 at 06:57

Fabulous news Allison, probably the best you could get. The longer you can leave those aggressive treatments in reserve the better.

Mick will be so happy when I update him in a few hours time.

Love to you both not long before we see you at Leicester.

xx

M&M

User
Posted 16 May 2014 at 12:52

Hi Alison

Glad to hear this news, relax and enjoy this bit of  beautiful sunshine we have forcasted for the weekend. 

Lesley xx

User
Posted 16 May 2014 at 18:13

Hello you both,

Glad to hear the news.  Take care of yourselves, and enjoy the better weather.  Really looking forward to seeing you in Leicester, if not before!

Cheers,

Peter

User
Posted 16 May 2014 at 21:01
Oh heck Julie, I had forgotten all about it. Better get my brain into gear for Monday!!!
User
Posted 18 Aug 2014 at 13:13
Hi Allison, hope everything has gone okay today - you are on my mind x

User
Posted 18 Aug 2014 at 14:47
Hello all

And so another tomorrow comes. Goodish news, PSA rising and doubling about six months but oncologist happy to defer chemo (or Abiraterone (through the cancer fund) for three months. He thought it would be ok though action would definitely be needed next time. As our first grand daughter is due in a few weeks he thought we would be better to enjoy the early days with her and not start anything new just yet.

We now have to take the time to figure out what to do.

Abiraterone (assuming the cancer fund will allow it)

Chemo

Chemo with a view to Enzalutimide

I think Allister is going to say chemo then Enzaliutimide and that may be the way ahead. Anyway nothing to do now except to enjoy.

One question remains for me. Should I go back to work in October or take the redundancy and spend time (which I have loved while I have been on sabbatical) with my man. What to do? No one can tell me what to do I know but it's a tough decision. I'm not missing the office at all, which shocks me to the core as I'm a proper corporate type.

Anyway, I feel like we have three more months before it all gets a bit more serious, so woo Hoo!

Lots of love

Allison xxxx

Edited by member 18 Aug 2014 at 14:49  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Aug 2014 at 15:56
Hi Allison

well another 3 month deferment will give you both a chance to welcome your new grand baby in a few weeks time and also give you time to mull over future decisions, after all they are Major ones.

I am divided on the answer to Abiraterone or chemo then enzalutamide. If you had the private option I think you can still go Chemo abiraterone and then Enzalutamide. One thing that I would be worried about is leaving any of them too much longer, I am not convinced that Enzalutamide is much help if it is given too late.

Abiraterone seems to work for varying lengths of time look at Si and his amazing success with chemo plus abiraterone. I think I would see what other members here say and make a list of questions for your Oncologist with a pros and cons view in the back of your mind.

As for the return to work/redundancy options I think you know my view, the money should be enough to tide you over and it means you do not have to worry all the time when you are at work. Your company have been so good to give you this option. With your skills and experience you would find agency/consultancy work quite easily and you can usually make that as flexible as you like. Keep your hand in just in case you feel you need to go back full time eventually.

Research your employment options and get to see how things work out for your family situation before you make the decision and then when it comes to the time the decision should be easier to make.

xxxx

Mandy

User
Posted 18 Aug 2014 at 15:59

Hi Allison,

Goodish news, yes, and time for you both to make informed choices.

That's a real bonus.

As for you taking redundancy?  Heck YES! http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif

You say you haven't missed the office...so go for it. I think we have all been made painfully aware over the years that time really is precious.

Good Luck to you both, and we're looking forward to seeing the news of the new arrival.

George

User
Posted 18 Aug 2014 at 16:34

Hi Allison,

Not too bad, gets you through the last of the summer and the baby http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

Now my answers, redundancy if you intend to share your pay-off with me, then go for ithttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif, but if you intend keeping it all to yourselfhttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif then keep on working.

Next treatment, well its a big thumbs up from me for Abbi, no side effects and now 12 months and counting.

All the best 

Si xx

User
Posted 18 Aug 2014 at 17:00

Hi Allison,

I can't help with your decisions re treatment I'm afraid......but whatever you both decide I wish you well... 

I took redundancy / early retirement at 58 ( I'm 63 now ) and have never once regretted my decision...

For me, it's a no brainer.... If you can manage financially and you have not missed the office environment,  spend time with your man!http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif 

Jobs will always be available, so enjoy the hopefully many years you have together.. 

Best Wishes 

Luther

PS ... Hope all goes well with your first grand daughter !.. http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif

User

Pleased for you over the three month respite, as you say, plenty of thinking time for the next round of treatment. As always I send my love to you and John !

Fiona.

User
Hi Allison,

The decisions about treatment path are so relevant to me even if at the moment I am a few months down the road yet. I don,t know nearly enough to advise you though impressed with Si's result and am rather hoping that NICE will revisit its decision at some point soonish!

Again on the retirement front I may not be the best to counsel. I love my work and find the thought of retirement not too enticing. It is also for me a question of finance though not to benefit me. If I continue until I pass away I get death in service benefit which gives me a lot to offer my two children, so though not the prime driver it is a consideration! If I reach 65 which I did not envisage when this started I may be able to afford to retire then.

I think those next few months are the ones to focus on and get the most out of them. I suspect I am facing changes in my HT regime in. October so I am trying to focus on doing stuff now!

User
Posted 18 Aug 2014 at 17:48

Hi Allison,

If we are taking Redundancy versus work to the vote then I agree with the others and my vote goes to redundancy. If there is one thing that this disease has taught me then that is how precious  the gift of Time is. Follow your heart. Besides there is all those shopping trips for your soon to be born grand daughter.

I can't advise on your next choice of treatment but at least you have both been given time to think it through. You both get to enjoy your new bundle of joy before any new treatments start.

Love as always.

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 18 Aug 2014 at 18:08
Hi Allison

Really good to hear about the 3 month reprieve. It must be so exciting waiting for the arrival of your grand daughter.

We just found out that we are going to be first time grandparents in March.

I can't advise about the treatment but agree at how brill Si is doing on his treatment path.

Redundancy or not, you know that there is only you who can make that decision. But as we all know this insidious disease does give us a different outlook on life.

Take care

Bri x