Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Metoclopromide after chemotherapy infusion

User
Posted 19 May 2014 at 09:23
Hi all,

My dad had his first chemo treatment last week and was given steroids and metoclopromide before hand. After, the pharmacist gave him further prescriptions of these but said he didn't need to continue the metoclopromide as he was on the steroids. For the first couple of days Dad was feeling ok but the third day he had incredible pain in his chest and was vomitting all day.

The GP came out and said the pain was likely due to burning from the bile and recommended taking some metoclopromide to stem the sickness.

Can anyone confirm if the metoclopromide should be taken each day or only when sickness occurs? My parents have had conflicting advice.

Also, dad is in for a scan today on his kidneys as the pre chemo tests revealed reduced function. Does anyone have any experience of this? Will chemo have to stop?

I think he should have a full body scan as he has been experiencing quite a lot of pain. Can we request this?

Sorry, this is a little rambling but the situation has sort of avalanched in only a few days and its a bit much. Any advice would be very much appreciated,

Kate

User
Posted 19 May 2014 at 14:28
Hi Kate,

I take metoclopromide 3 x 20mg currently up from 3 x 10mg every day as my nausea was very bad, but I do take it as part of a whole armoury of drugs (including steroids) prescribed by my palliative care consultant.

So its worth going back to your link nurse or GP and querying how they intended you to use the drug and make sure you have enough prescribed.

Paul

User
Posted 20 May 2014 at 21:29

Thanks everyone for your replies, your experience is so valuable!

Dad is back on the anti sickness tablets but I think he might need to up the dosage. HOWEVER, today was a good day - and we are rapidly learning to celebrate even the smallest victories, so I am enjoying the fact that he has been able to get out in the sun. The kidney scan results should be back soon so, deep breath, and we'll take it from there, whatever the results.

Hope today has also been a good day for you and your loved ones,

Kate 

User
Posted 20 May 2014 at 22:46
Good to hear your dad is feeling better todayo its hard for duaghters and sons to watch your father go through so much ..I see howmy own daughter copes with her Dad I am so proud of her in the way she copes with everything just dosent treat her Dad any diffrent from the way she has always has been with him he wouldnot have it any other way .I wish you and ypur family good luck with all his new treatments. and I still say sickness tabs 3x a day and do not take a break until end of final chemo

Carol

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 May 2014 at 14:28
Hi Kate,

I take metoclopromide 3 x 20mg currently up from 3 x 10mg every day as my nausea was very bad, but I do take it as part of a whole armoury of drugs (including steroids) prescribed by my palliative care consultant.

So its worth going back to your link nurse or GP and querying how they intended you to use the drug and make sure you have enough prescribed.

Paul

User
Posted 19 May 2014 at 15:12

Hi Kate,

For what it's worth, if you feel it would be helpful to have a scan, go ahead and ask, wish I had pushed for that for Neil six months ago ! Neil's kidney function is compromised but that doesn't seem to affect his suitability for chemo but again, everyone's situation is different, it is amazing what treatment regimes are followed, even with very unwell people. I will be thinking of you and your Dad, but do keep asking questions of the medics and if need be ask them to clarify something, especially if they have conflicting points of view !

Regards, Fiona.

User
Posted 19 May 2014 at 22:45
Hi Kate

Sorry to hear that your Dad is having some problems with Chemo .Eric will have his 3rd Chemo on Friday.

He also has problems with kidney due to pc he is able to get Chemo as for sickness tabs Eric was given them to take home 3x a day there was not enough until next Chemo I contated GP for repeat .GP said not to stop them he has no sickness problems no bad taste in mouth so I stick by my dission to get a repeat prescription.

Carol

User
Posted 19 May 2014 at 22:51
Hi again Kate

I forgot to add about the scan I find if you dont ask they dont always offer so yes ask for scans I always ask if I am unhappy with treatment.

Carol

User
Posted 20 May 2014 at 21:29

Thanks everyone for your replies, your experience is so valuable!

Dad is back on the anti sickness tablets but I think he might need to up the dosage. HOWEVER, today was a good day - and we are rapidly learning to celebrate even the smallest victories, so I am enjoying the fact that he has been able to get out in the sun. The kidney scan results should be back soon so, deep breath, and we'll take it from there, whatever the results.

Hope today has also been a good day for you and your loved ones,

Kate 

User
Posted 20 May 2014 at 22:46
Good to hear your dad is feeling better todayo its hard for duaghters and sons to watch your father go through so much ..I see howmy own daughter copes with her Dad I am so proud of her in the way she copes with everything just dosent treat her Dad any diffrent from the way she has always has been with him he wouldnot have it any other way .I wish you and ypur family good luck with all his new treatments. and I still say sickness tabs 3x a day and do not take a break until end of final chemo

Carol