Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error
<12

Really Worried

User
Posted 16 Oct 2014 at 17:42
My husband had his histology results yesterday after having his prostate removed and we were told his tumour was a little larger than they first though but his lymph nodes were clear and his margins were negative ( hope I have said this right) so it was good news.

His Consultant then went onto explain that he had to tell us about a trial that was being offered to men who had just had their prostrate removed. It seems there was two groups and one group would have a course of radiotherapy and the other group would have nothing. If you agree to sign up for this trial there is no way at the beginning of knowing which group you will go into. The Consultant said that we could go and listen to a talk on the subject first to get an insight into why they are running this trial etc

We are now confused and unsure whether my husband should do this, has anyone else been offered this and if they had what was their thoughts on the subject?

The Consultant said with my husbands results he wouldn't be offering radiotherapy and only would do so if my husband's PSA went up.

Grateful for any comments, thank you

User
Posted 16 Oct 2014 at 22:10

Hi Paul,

The purpose of the trial is to consider whether there is benefit from from early follow up RT after RP. Until the trial is concluded it is not possible to make an assessment. If your husband is keen to have RT fairly soon, the only way he stands a chance of getting this from what your consultant has told you would be if he is draw into the RT arm of the trial or after his PSA begins to rise, should this be the case. RT following RP is thought to improve the outcome of RP in some cases but it has to be established whether it is better to have the RT soon after RP or wait until PSA rises (if that happens). RP does the job for some men who may not need RT so they might be having radiotherapy they don't need in a bid to improve their overall chances of ending their cancer. Rather depends on how a man sees it.

Barry
User
Posted 17 Oct 2014 at 00:50
Thank you Barry, my husband does not want to go on the trial as he doesn't see the point unless his PSA rises. It's my daughter and myself who thought we should at least go to the lecture and listen to some of the facts. What we won't do is pressure him in anyway as it has to be his decision entirely.

I would love to hear if anyone on these forums has gone on these trials.

User
Posted 18 Oct 2014 at 11:35

Just a quick update, Paul has just had the results of his first PSA blood test and it was 0.001 undetected! Such wonderful news after so many months of worry.

User
Posted 18 Oct 2014 at 12:01

Excellent news for you all.  http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

Have a great weekend.

Dave

User
Posted 18 Oct 2014 at 13:29

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Just a quick update, Paul has just had the results of his first PSA blood test and it was 0.001 undetected! Such wonderful news after so many months of worry.

Brilliant news!

During one consultation before my surgery  the RADICALS trial was mentioned to me... 

However, during my follow up consultation after surgery  together with my histology report the subject was not mentioned again, so I assume I was either  not eligible or it was deemed not appropriate?
My PSA levels at 6 weeks post op were < 0.01 ( undetectable ) so I was happy to leave things as they were and not inquire about the RADICALS trial.... 

Best Wishes

Luther

User
Posted 19 Oct 2014 at 00:06

Congratulations Luther, we have decided not to do the trial as my husband said he has enough and just wants to concentrate on the incontence and ED.