I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

bladder pressure

User
Posted 04 Jun 2014 at 13:39

I've just completed my 20th session of rt (25 to go) but during the last 3 sessions I have felt my bladder under hugh pressure during the sessions and have had to tense up completely to keep bladder control. I've mentioned this to the radiotherapists but haven't had much response.  Is this a usual side effect as the treatment progresses? And any suggestions that might help?

User
Posted 04 Jun 2014 at 18:08

If persists mention to the team every visit.

Ask if you can use cranberry juice to help sooth. Do ask in case there's a reason why not.

Could be prostate swelling a bit through the R/T or bladder touched by some R/T. Bladder may not be emptying fully & therefore fills to capacity faster. Ask about this.

Increased frequency is not that  unusual.

User
Posted 05 Jun 2014 at 09:00
Thanks for that, Rob.

Will ask about it when I go in later for today's session. Would be great if it can be solved.

User
Posted 05 Jun 2014 at 09:06

I'm ahead of you with RT treatment and I also went through similar.

After a week or two (time blurs after a while...) I noticed that I had trouble peeing, especially early morning or if I got up in the night.

Mentioned it to the RT team and after some ultrasound and infection tests put me on Tamsulosin which relaxes the bladder muscles.

This cleared the symptoms but I'm now 'back to square one' with early morning issues.

Since mentioning it during one of my weekly meetings with the support nurse they put me on daily bladder scans, to see what the situation was. Turns out I am not fully emptying and retaining circa 200ml. 250ml is the limit where they call in the catheter, but I've not needed that yet!

Checking on a daily basis I've found that drinking barley based drinks (Robinsons et al) and cranberry juice has assisted it lowering my retention troubles.

I've also found that finding a drinking routine pre RT that suits has helped me, I've mastered the full but not bursting level for when I'm on the table. Previous times I've been counting down the RT positions and clicks in preparation for leaping off the bed...

I empty out, drink one cup of tea, hit the road one hour before the RT time, sign in, drink 500ml of water and I'm bang on for my treatment.

If you can find a similar working routine it can help.

Number one job is mention it to the RT team, they will be aware of it and have solutions available I'm sure.

cheers

Kevin

User
Posted 06 Jun 2014 at 14:58
Will certainly give it a go.

Last 2 days have been ok but wouldn't want to go through that again.

All the best.

User
Posted 06 Jun 2014 at 20:41

I found counting backwards from 100 when i got under pressure helped