I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PMCC May well ride again!

User
Posted 05 Jun 2014 at 17:34

I just can't get the hang of this new forum .... so I have paste and copied this from another 'conversation'

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Whoa ho!

I've been a while away from here but my old shipmate Murf told me there was something "Motorcycley" going on!

Yes we used to organise a few ride outs and meets a while back but I must confess *blush* life got in the way and I let it drop,

Also there was a nasty incident in the Nell Gwynn tea rooms in Barnes involving Murf (again) that I'd rather draw a veil over...

The PMCC (Prostate Motor Cycle Club) may yet ride again!

Yes it's about time the leathers were dusted off metaphorically speaking - unfortunately a combination of holidays, work and Jury Service will tie me down for a bit.

An Ace meet up might be quite viable though.... any takers?

Whilst you are here , I am semi retired and run a part time Mobile Coffee Van Business that is Motorcycle-Themed ... It's called ...

Cafe Racer Coffee Bar (bit of a clue there!)

I use it for Prostate Cancer awareness ( also charity events for Macmillians, Stephs Wishes and various other charities ) as well as the odd fee paying job to subsidise it....

Could you all please do me a big favour and visit my Facebook page and LIKE it?

I have got 820 likes currently but charities seem to take you seriously the more "likes" you have....I would love to get to 1000! (grovel)

Here is the page;  www.facebook.com/caferacercoffeebar 

Thanks in advance 

Ross

User
Posted 05 Jun 2014 at 20:20
Liked

Bri

User
Posted 05 Jun 2014 at 20:59

Liked . Well done. http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gifhttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 06 Jun 2014 at 02:27
The implications are too horrendous to contemplate ....

... a member uploading a photo of his member with the question "does this look normal to you?"

... post-op scar comparisons

... various states of flaccidness (perhaps with a scoring system)

... photos of Tommy the teddy bear with an armadillo

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Jun 2014 at 18:13

On a serious note and I'm sure others will share my thoughts on this day, I'd like to give my thanks to all those that gave their lives on this day 70 years ago to ensure our freedom from tyranny and subjugation.

RIP John

John, my late father-in-law drove his M10 (pictured above) up Juno Beach in support of the Canadian Infantry.

Roger
User
Posted 16 Jun 2014 at 00:56
"Why would anyone want to drive a bike that fast on a public road?" Maybe for the same reason as your good lady would want to drive in excess of 70mph. LOL! Speed limits are arbitrary and the 70mph limit takes no consideration of weather, road conditions or rider skills. It was introduced as a measure to reduce fuel consumption and we have been stuck with it. Some of us rode bikes at over 100mph on A roads before M roads were available and where there was no upper limit on them back in the fifties. This was with drum brakes and skinny tyres. Few Bikes in those days could struggle to above 110mph but some of the bikes today can reach up to 160-170mph so have much more speed in reserve. The Government view that 70mph is the main answer to reducing road accidents is contentious but it certainly does make an excuse to collect a lot in fines, which are about to be increased to potentially punitive levels. Makes you wonder why the Germans are still allowed to drive so fast on some roads, some of which are just as crowded as those in the UK as I know from experience!
Barry
User
Posted 16 Jun 2014 at 06:44
Hi,

I agree with Barry today's speed limits, on the motorway at least, are purely punitive. In Germany there are some minimum speeds you must keep to on their autobahn with very few upper speed limits.

The 70 mph speed limit on the motorway was indeed brought in to reduce fuel consumption under the guise of health & safety. Since then cars and bikes have been so upgraded on the safety side of things, ABS, power steering, etc.etc with tyres and brakes in particular so far advanced since the early days of the motorway. Ride, drive to the road and weather conditions and you won't go far wrong.

As for why you would want to ride at 100 mph guess it's the thrill element which without it you wouldn't have fairgrounds, Alton Park etc. I will admit though as I said on an early post when common sense has to take over. That in my case was when I almost lost it on my Gixer doing 140 on an empty stretch of dual carriageway....I was 65 then and my poor old ar*e twitched like mad and the bike was sold pretty soon after albeit very reluctantly. It was in true Rizla/Crescent racing colours, a bike I really loved and a bike so well balanced that when I did hit the grass verge on that bit of dual carriageway it was the bike that righted itself rather than the skills of a doddery 65 year old.

Going back to the "why" question where would mankind be if we never had the risk factor built into us? Seas never crossed, mountains never climbed, it would be a poor old life without that bit of adventure that lies within us all which of course leads me to say.....

Life is for living,

Barry (alias Barrington )

User
Posted 16 Jun 2014 at 10:52

Photo posting loophole is in the bug tracking system and won't get lost, I promise. It's just not top of the list but will be fixed.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 05 Jun 2014 at 19:36
Denden, I have replied on the other one ..... you have to be patient!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Jun 2014 at 20:01

Would that Mobile Coffee Van business be conducted in a converted VW campervan by any chance?http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif

Edited to add:  OK, so it's not a VW (looked in at the Facebook page) but what is it?

Came across this photo online some time ago which reminded me of the evenings I spent hanging around Johnson's Cafe on the A20 which was the hangout for us "Rockers" who lived in Sarf London.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a171/rogcal/johnsonsforecourt2_zps6f6fbf91.jpg

Edited by member 05 Jun 2014 at 20:20  | Reason: Not specified

Roger
User
Posted 05 Jun 2014 at 20:20
Liked

Bri

User
Posted 05 Jun 2014 at 20:24

Whoops , Hi Lyn! 

...and sorry about that.

I blame this forum - I write something and can never find it again!

Rogcal - It's an Aixam Megavan no less - 500cc diesel (twin cylinder) with a Towability Coffee Catering conversion!... chassis made in !France - body made in Nottingham -  top speed 45mph!

Great photo by the way!

Bri - Thanks for that!

ps How on earth do you insert photos here?

Edited by member 05 Jun 2014 at 20:26  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Jun 2014 at 20:33
Inserting photos couldn't be simpler. Just upload the image URL of the photo you wish to display from your favourite photo store (mine's Photobucket) and Robert's your father's brother!
Roger
User
Posted 05 Jun 2014 at 20:47

Got It ! Thanks Roger !

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t1.0-9/s720x720/1526857_564185340344458_1875344925_n.jpg

Edited by member 05 Jun 2014 at 21:05  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Jun 2014 at 20:53

It will need this at the beginning: [URL

and this at the end: URL]

Edited by member 05 Jun 2014 at 20:58  | Reason: Not specified

Roger
User
Posted 05 Jun 2014 at 20:59

Liked . Well done. http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gifhttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 05 Jun 2014 at 21:59
I maybe a spoilsport but I am sure photos were banned, they really could cause problems. Sadie please advise.

Barry (alias Barrington)

User
Posted 05 Jun 2014 at 22:01
count me in
User
Posted 05 Jun 2014 at 22:29

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I maybe a spoilsport but I am sure photos were banned, they really could cause problems. Sadie please advise.
Barry (alias Barrington)

Would you prefer it if I removed my photograph now so as to avoid said problems.

However, I did read through the forum's house rules and the websites t&c's before uploading it and I could find no mention made on the subject so went ahead on the assumption that the previous concerns that photographs would cause problems had been dismissed.

In some ways the uploading of a couple of images will test the system i.e. affect the speed of page uploads, page stability, etc and if it does cause problems of that nature then I would be the first to agree that images be barred due to technical reasons.

On the other hand, if a picture of a few Rockers causes a problem for anyone I'll see them at Margate next Bank Holiday!http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif

Scooters suck.http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif

Roger
User
Posted 06 Jun 2014 at 00:21

Sun Headline

PCa Mods v Rockers Create Clacton Catastrophe. (or Make Margate Mayhem)

(Sorry - best I could do!)

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 06 Jun 2014 at 01:43
Hi Roger,

I will leave it up to Sadie to decide. I remember that there was some debate about it and the decision then was not to allow photos. That may have changed, hence I am happy to leave it up to Sadie. My concern is that everybody and his mate will start sending in their holiday snaps etc. and we might get away from what the site is all about, the support, care, advice etc. that we but particularly those newly diagnosed look for. Perhaps it's me being, as I said, a bit of a spoilsport .

Life is for living

PS a lovely day yesterday and one when I thought "I wish I still had my Suzuki GSX-R" and then I remembered my very painful backside!

User
Posted 06 Jun 2014 at 02:27
The implications are too horrendous to contemplate ....

... a member uploading a photo of his member with the question "does this look normal to you?"

... post-op scar comparisons

... various states of flaccidness (perhaps with a scoring system)

... photos of Tommy the teddy bear with an armadillo

User
Posted 06 Jun 2014 at 07:43

See what we've started Roger!

A blooming Suzuki Gixxer rider too! They are all not right in the head as you well know!

Seriously Barry has a point - I wouldn't like to see endless holiday snaps ( especially of cruises - that's the only holidays anyone seems to take on here - once you've seen one snap you've seen them all ) .

In fact Lyn I would honestly prefer to see the flaccidity pictures than Sid and Doris playing quoits on the "MV Caribbean Princess" or whatever. 

However I  remember that in the old forum some would complain at any "banter" or "hilarity" in threads, offended that we did not strictly stick to a) diagnosis, b) treatment and c) research. 

Surely a forum such as this needs some hilarity, bonding and banter somewhere - surely it is more than a cold . medical discussion board - otherwise why have a section entitled "Social"?

Many people here, including Barry and Lyn, have done sterling work on this forum over many years that puts me to shame and they have the full right to question - I don't have any answers because I understand both sides and understand there has to be limits. The question is where are those limits drawn?

So I guess the best solution is to let Sadie and the PCUK staff decide.

I would hate to see a cold, factual, humourless site and I'm sure that is not what Barry is suggesting at all.

Meanwhile I have a stock of "flaccid" shots, taken whilst on a cruise, ready to load up once we get the green light!

Ross

Edited by member 06 Jun 2014 at 07:44  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Jun 2014 at 08:23

A snippet from my email to Sadie asking for her to deliberate on the matter:

"whereas those images that are solely of family members, favourite pets, holiday snaps, etc could become, dare I say it, tiresome and irrelevant for the majority of readers."

OMG, seems that I am singing from the same songsheet after all.  Help, I've become an old fuddy duddy and didn't realise it!http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cry.gif

Roger
User
Posted 06 Jun 2014 at 09:31
Hi Ross & Roger,

Somebody else asked the question about having a laughter/jokes page. That on the old site had the most number of postings. Perhaps Sadie could try and get that up and running again with the possibility of having photos there. My own thoughts are that if there are to be photos they should have a thread of their own. I joined the old codgers club when 4 years ago at 65 I sold my Suzuki Gixxer having almost lost it doing 140 on the only bit of dual carriageway we have near Weymouth ....my ar*e twitched that day......now it's just painful😪

Life is for living

Barry (alias Barrington)

User
Posted 06 Jun 2014 at 10:12

Hi all!

In all the conversations up to this point about photos we've said we didn't want photos to appear automatically. It looks like the forum software we're using converts image URLs to inline images by default, so we'll ask our developers to change that so it just shows a link to the image as it would if you added a non-image URL. 

Then you can of course still share images by following the instructions above - it would just show a clickable URL instead of the image itself, so people could decide whether or not they wanted to see. (I will certainly be clicking to see any 'motorcycley' ones)

It's not a rule to be broken, just a decision about how the software is meant to work -- so feel free to have fun with this in the social topic area while it's still possible (i won't say 'do your worst' :) )

Best,

Sadie

User
Posted 06 Jun 2014 at 11:24

Thanks Sadie!

Spared the cruise photos!

Edited by member 06 Jun 2014 at 11:25  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Jun 2014 at 12:24

Excellent solution. Thanks Sadie.

User
Posted 06 Jun 2014 at 12:37
Hi Sadie,

Thank you for coming back so quickly, if it works your solution seems reasonable although I hope there won't be too many photos being posted as being a nosy old git I will undoubtedly open them all to see what they are.

Life is for living

User
Posted 06 Jun 2014 at 15:27

My parting shot before the plug is pulled (well Sadie said we could).

Not aimed at anyone in particular, honest!http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a171/rogcal/rogeronM10.jpg

Roger
User
Posted 06 Jun 2014 at 18:13

On a serious note and I'm sure others will share my thoughts on this day, I'd like to give my thanks to all those that gave their lives on this day 70 years ago to ensure our freedom from tyranny and subjugation.

RIP John

John, my late father-in-law drove his M10 (pictured above) up Juno Beach in support of the Canadian Infantry.

Roger
User
Posted 15 Jun 2014 at 14:43

Just out of curiosity.  Has the image loophole been closed?

Doesn't seem like 2 decades have passed since I parted with my favourite bike!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a171/rogcal/RogVirago_zpsbfb513ea.jpg

">

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a171/rogcal/RogVirago_zpsbfb513ea.jpg

Two for the price of one.  Don't know how that happened.

Sadie, the loophole allowing images to be uploaded is still present.http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cry.gif

Edited by member 15 Jun 2014 at 14:47  | Reason: Not specified

Roger
User
Posted 15 Jun 2014 at 15:11
Driving bach up the M6 yesterday, we were overtaken by a bike with pillon passenger. Let's just say my good lady was driving slightly in excees of 70 - this bike must have been dong a ton. Why would anyone want to drive a bike that fast on a public road?
Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 16 Jun 2014 at 00:56
"Why would anyone want to drive a bike that fast on a public road?" Maybe for the same reason as your good lady would want to drive in excess of 70mph. LOL! Speed limits are arbitrary and the 70mph limit takes no consideration of weather, road conditions or rider skills. It was introduced as a measure to reduce fuel consumption and we have been stuck with it. Some of us rode bikes at over 100mph on A roads before M roads were available and where there was no upper limit on them back in the fifties. This was with drum brakes and skinny tyres. Few Bikes in those days could struggle to above 110mph but some of the bikes today can reach up to 160-170mph so have much more speed in reserve. The Government view that 70mph is the main answer to reducing road accidents is contentious but it certainly does make an excuse to collect a lot in fines, which are about to be increased to potentially punitive levels. Makes you wonder why the Germans are still allowed to drive so fast on some roads, some of which are just as crowded as those in the UK as I know from experience!
Barry
User
Posted 16 Jun 2014 at 01:06
Hi Ross,

Congratulations on getting the venture up and running. I take it this is what you had in mind when we met in Essex some considerable time back now.

Regards,

Barry
User
Posted 16 Jun 2014 at 06:44
Hi,

I agree with Barry today's speed limits, on the motorway at least, are purely punitive. In Germany there are some minimum speeds you must keep to on their autobahn with very few upper speed limits.

The 70 mph speed limit on the motorway was indeed brought in to reduce fuel consumption under the guise of health & safety. Since then cars and bikes have been so upgraded on the safety side of things, ABS, power steering, etc.etc with tyres and brakes in particular so far advanced since the early days of the motorway. Ride, drive to the road and weather conditions and you won't go far wrong.

As for why you would want to ride at 100 mph guess it's the thrill element which without it you wouldn't have fairgrounds, Alton Park etc. I will admit though as I said on an early post when common sense has to take over. That in my case was when I almost lost it on my Gixer doing 140 on an empty stretch of dual carriageway....I was 65 then and my poor old ar*e twitched like mad and the bike was sold pretty soon after albeit very reluctantly. It was in true Rizla/Crescent racing colours, a bike I really loved and a bike so well balanced that when I did hit the grass verge on that bit of dual carriageway it was the bike that righted itself rather than the skills of a doddery 65 year old.

Going back to the "why" question where would mankind be if we never had the risk factor built into us? Seas never crossed, mountains never climbed, it would be a poor old life without that bit of adventure that lies within us all which of course leads me to say.....

Life is for living,

User
Posted 16 Jun 2014 at 08:20
I understand the answers - personally it's not for me.
Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 16 Jun 2014 at 10:52

Photo posting loophole is in the bug tracking system and won't get lost, I promise. It's just not top of the list but will be fixed.