I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

When will it end

User
Posted 09 Jun 2014 at 17:43
Having been going back and forwards to the clinic for 4 years I have had 2 MRI scans the first 2 years ago resulted in me having 30 biopsies which came back clear. However I was told that I had an enlarged prostate my PSA at the time was in the range from the lowest 6 to 14.5. In January my PSA went up to 24 and I went for another MRI followed by more targeted biopsies. I was told 2 weeks ago that they were clear apart from extensive BPH. Great relieve after 4 months of hell. I have now been told that they want me to go for a bone scan when will the nightmare end?

Gordon

User
Posted 10 Jun 2014 at 11:14
Hi Gordon

Sorry to hear of your trials and tribulations. Funnily enough I was chatting about this aspect yesterday with my husband. He was diagnosed with PSA 25, Gleason 10, spread to lymph and bones three and a half years ago. We thought it was game over, but hey it wasn't. He is still here and still ok. However, the constant testing and results anxiety has been difficult to live with and this makes absolutely no difference really whether you have a full on cancer or just a suspicion. I think the only thing you can do is have the tests, hopefully they are to eliminate possibilities rather than confirm, and try to get on with your life in between. In truth, once you have any such issues in your life, then your life is never really the same again. Sad to say but true.

One of our key contributors to this site (Topgun) has a tag line that says "Life is for living" and he is so right.

Please let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Allison

User
Posted 10 Jun 2014 at 14:37
Hi Gordon,

It is not easy to comment on your present position without knowing who interpreted the second lot of biopsies and who told you that all of this is down to BPH. If you have been asked to go for a bone scan it is possible that someone else has looked at the biopsy results, or your case went before a Multi Disciplinary Team meeting, and, for whatever reason, they want to be sure that it is BPH which is causing your raised PSA level.

Why not give tour Nurse Practitioner of CNS a call and ask why a bone scan is needed? Whatever answer is given it is important at this stage that they get your diagnosis right.

A suggestion ... it is best for continuity if you keep all your update postings on the same thread.

I am free on Mondays and Tuesdays for a pint in town!

Alan

User
Posted 15 Jun 2014 at 22:19
Hi Alan did you get my reply do you have my phone number?

Gordon

User
Posted 16 Jun 2014 at 07:44
Hi Gordon,

Firstly let's look at all the news you have been given. With regard to PCa it has all been good. A follow up bone scan even following negative biopsies is not unusual and again is good in that your team haven't just abandoned you.

Waiting for results is always a worrying time and for many that never ends. If unfortunately you are diagnosed with PCa you will find that waiting for results, trying to work out which treatment is best for you can become a very worrying time. If that becomes the case you must remain positive and try to change your mindset in that worrying won't change anything. Life goes on and it is best to enjoy it .

Hopefully the bone scan will be fine and that will set your mind at rest.

Best of luck

Life is for living

Barry (alias Barrington )

User
Posted 22 Jun 2014 at 11:51
Hi Allison

I replied to your massage several days ago but for some reason it has not been posted. Very pleased that your husband is still so well had the bone scan on Friday so should get the result some time next week will post when I do.

Regards

Gordon

User
Posted 22 Jun 2014 at 14:20
Hi Barry

Thanks for the reply it was good to hear that it's not that unusual to have a bone scan when they can not find any cancer. I had the scan on Friday so should hear something next week will post again when I do.

Thanks

Gordon

User
Posted 28 Jun 2014 at 00:11

Gordon

Not sure of your age but a work mate age 64 has had similar route to you. Not quite so may biopsies, had PSA up in the thirties at times, three weeks ago he was discharged and told not to worry.

We do need a better method of diagnosis.

All the best chris

User
Posted 28 Jun 2014 at 08:54
Thanks Christ that is really good to know still waiting for result by the way I am 62

Regards

Gordon