I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

When Abby fails

User
Posted 14 Jun 2014 at 11:22

Well after 8 months of abiraterone my symptoms reared their ugly heads and whilst my PSA has risen throughout the months, it started to rocket at 50 points a day reaching 3600.

Still waiting on the official reporting but a quick look at a skull Mri has suggested something is pressing on my optic nerve, which explains the occasional distorted vision and swelling I am experiencing, but hopefully it is just a skull met which a blast of RT will deal with. The worst symptoms were in my right hip which prevented  sitting or standing in the same position for more than 20 mins but 4Gy blast of RT has sorted that out.

By far the most debilitating episode was my constipation as my softners and pushers failed to keep up with the breakthrough usage and then the inevitable blockage and vomiting came on, I would urge anyone starting on opiods to learn keep a very close monitor on the laxatives v opiods so they can learn what their body needs.

As always my fantastic palliative care consultant saved the day, and in the space of a couple of days I went from my mood being in my boots with a deep black cloud over my head, back to some sort of normality... swapping my zomprph to oxycodon and upping my dex to 4mg daily. happier days returned and I could get on with listening to everyone telling me how well I looked.

So with no abby it is back to a second round of chemo...
Being transfusion dependent and with visceral disease (1 met in 1 lung) limits my treatment options. Onco preffered a different drug to the 1st time chemo (taxotere) so mitoxantrone is our choice.... meant to be palliative with no published benefit to life expectancy, QoL is the only target.

Just had my second dose yesterday and we will wait on the 3rd or 4th before making any judgement. Personally I am not sure it makes much difference in my circumstances, the key for me is getting regular zolodronic acid in the hope of keeping my Alk phos from rising and high doses of dexamethasone to keep me happy and mobile.

I have deserted most forms of exercise the last few months and the downside in muscle wastage and lack of fitness shows, so for the summer months my target is to get out and exercise whenever best I can.

unfortunately due to a family wedding I can't make Leicester, I would have enjoyed meeting up with so many of you, but hope you all have a great time.

User
Posted 14 Jun 2014 at 11:47
Good luck with the rest of the chemo SK. I've got everything crossed that you have a great summer and beyond

Take care

Bri

User
Posted 14 Jun 2014 at 12:48
Sounds like you have had a tough time over the past few months and as so often we hear about the need to get dosage right for maximum effects. Hope you can feel ok with the chemo and get some quality of life back. Shame not to see you in Leicester but hope you can enjoy the family wedding.
User
Posted 14 Jun 2014 at 17:01

SK,  I have no experience of war you are going through, luckily for me.  But, I am sorry to read that you are in need of further intervention.  I hope it all goes well for you.

Dave

User
Posted 14 Jun 2014 at 20:47
scotkiwi

You are such a positive person, I am glad the oncologist had something else up his sleeve. I've been following your story for a good while and have always admired your resilience.

Such a shame we won't get to meet you at MOS but have a good time at the wedding and enjoy every minute.

Lots of love

Allison

User
Posted 14 Jun 2014 at 21:57
Sorry you won't be at the Mill but wishing you the best with the Chemo. In the same boat myself except I don't have any real problems from the Docetaxel.
Nil desperandum

Allister

User
Posted 14 Jun 2014 at 22:15

Also wishing you all the best and fingers crossed for chemo. Neil finished second cycle a few days back,

Regards, Fiona.