I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Testosterone Total v Free

User
Posted 27 Jun 2014 at 17:13

Just got the results of my last blood test and my PSA has shot up from 0.21 to 0.58 ng/mL. This is over a period of only 8 weeks. I stopped taking Casodex 9 weeks ago to see if my man boobs would reduce in size and I’m disappointed to say there has been no change. So it looks as though I’ll have resume taking the Casodex. I had been on 50mg for almost 18 months.

I had my testosterone checked, which I don’t normally do, and there are two readings TOTAL which 4.5 ng/mL (15.6 nmol/l) and FREE which is 12.3 pg/mL. Can anyone tell me what is the difference between the Total & Free, I’ve never come across this before, with regards to Testosterone, PSA yes.

Cheers,

Stu

User
Posted 28 Jun 2014 at 14:16

Hi Stu,

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7525125

As both readings are above castrate level and psa appears to be rising, then it looks like you may need to resume something. Casodex blocks uptake of testosterone, not the production. So levels will be higher.

If psa rises whilst on Casodex then a different form of HT is required. Eventually, Casodex starts to work as a fuel for P.Ca. and has to be stopped ( in most cases ).

User
Posted 29 Jun 2014 at 08:17
Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply, I guess I'll have to wait a couple months before having another blood test and then see how the land lies. In the mean time I'll go and see my Urologist, haven't had a chat with him since last October. But he does respond to my emails, most times. The language doesn't help, he doesn't speak English and my Italian is rubbish.

Cheers,

Stu

User
Posted 29 Jun 2014 at 15:22
Hi Stu,

A couple of years ago I opted for Casodex 150 after my PSA started rising during a hormone holiday (from the Zoladex jabs).

It was a mistake. Although the Casodex got my PSA right down again, when it became time for me to take another 'holiday' my PSA shot off a rate that shocked me. From 0.1 to 12 within three months.

As for my testosterone levels while I was on Casodex? They got to the highest levels I had ever seen, reaching 37.4.

Personally, I won't be touching casodex again. I had the breast side effects too,

Anyway, to get out of trouble, I chose Prostap monthly injections for the first time ever.

They worked brilliantly in getting PSA down very quickly, but I became anaemic and had few other side effects, so went back to Zoladex (which coninued the good work started by Prostap).

You can see the weird figures from my time on Casodex on my profile here.

All the best,

George

User
Posted 29 Jun 2014 at 22:53
Hi George,

That's for your reply, I believe I've read elsewhere on past posts that PSA can take a big bounce when coming off Casodex, I hope that it's the same in my case. I often wonder if my Urologist has anything else in his cupboard other than Casodex.

I often look at your thesis of a profile to see how you are getting on, since you don't appear so much these days.

Cheers,

Stu