Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Latest PSA After RT

User
Posted 08 Jul 2014 at 11:08
Hi

Just seen my latest results online, which were only taken yesterday so thought I would share them with everyone. It is approx 9 weeks since I finished my RT consisting of 66gy and the results has come back at 0.05 so i am going the right way, i will be seeing my Oncologist on thursday to talk through the results and plan the next stage as i know due to the Casodex 150 i have been taking for the last several months, it will have had a bearing on the score, so the decision will need to be made whether to stop the hormones and see where we end up or continue to suppress the remaining cells, any advice would as always be welcomed, so i am armed with as much info as i can for thursday.

Cheers

Roy

Edited by member 08 Jul 2014 at 18:50  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Jul 2014 at 18:52
As you say Roy it's the downward trend that's important. I guess it's always difficult to know what's doing what when on the HT BUT it's going down.

I can't really advise regarding the ongoing HT. But it's not going to harm having that discussion with the Onco.

Bri

User
Posted 09 Jul 2014 at 01:59
My understanding is that is becoming more common for HT to be continued often for anything between 1 to 3 years post RT as this is believed to be more effective. I was not offered this after my RT back in 2008 and apparently I will not be offered HT now until my PSA rises significantly (have been unable to glean what figure this will be for certain). Although HT can have unwelcome side effects, as I know from experience, I feel that if I was just finishing RT now, I would ask for the HT to continue in line with the present trend. It is of course a decision for the individual and some men might wish to see how their PSA progresses before perhaps needing to resume HT.
Barry
User
Posted 09 Jul 2014 at 11:44
Roy,

I started HT 9 nearly 9 mths before RT (37 fractions, total 74Gy). PSA was never high - 5.2 on diagnosis and dropped to around 0.1 with HT. Just before RT it was 0.097 and immediately post RT (mid-May 2014) fell to 0.024. There has been no suggestion by the oncol that I should cease HT, in fact I've been strongly advised to continue...indefinitely.

As the medics keep saying, we're all different. One big difference between us is that I haven't had RP. While HT has side effects, I've come to terms with them and will continue with RT.

Viv

User
Posted 09 Jul 2014 at 18:29
Hi Guys

Thank you for your comments, it certainly is going to be a hard decision to make, just like it was at the start of this journey. I must admit the HT does take its toll on me, but the thought of the alternative is a lot worse, so I will take your comments on board and discuss things with the Oncologist tomorrow.

Thanks

Roy

User
Posted 10 Jul 2014 at 18:23
Hi Guys

Saw my Oncologist today and decided to take a break from the hormones, so I have cancelled the bra fitting, and will have a PSA test in 3 months time to see if it is the RT or hormones that is holding the PSA down.

Cheers

Roy

User
Posted 10 Jul 2014 at 20:52
Fingers crossed Roy....but likelihood is that it won't do any harm to check this out. No point suffering the toxicity if no need

Bri

User
Posted 10 Jul 2014 at 21:13
Thanks Bri

Just took my last tablet, now to get myself fit again, as the tablets were making me lethargic, with the resulting increase of half a stone in weight.

Thanks

Roy