I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

After Prostatectomy, how long before Radiotherapy can be started?

User
Posted 13 Jul 2014 at 13:29

I know this probably depends on individual healing processes, but does anyone know what the recommended wait time is from the hospitals? (To begin radiotherapy treatment) I read somewhere, you have to wait at least 90 days. Thanks, Sid.

What matters is not the years in your life, but the life in your years!
User
Posted 13 Jul 2014 at 17:05
Hi Sid,

It's something that's been on my mind too. How is following radiotherapy or treatment determined? I understand after RP, we have to take a further PSA test & see the results of the biopsy on our removed prostrate?

Does this determine If Radiotherapy is required? I'm worried about recovering from the op, returning to work and then potentially having to have radiotherapy and have more time off or disruption.

Setting aside the getting better bit, we still have to feed the family & put a roof over our heads. I'm worried about my employer getting fed up with it & flirting me when the next round of job losses comes in. It's been a battle surviving the recession in construction. These young, keen fellas are chomping at the bit to step up to my position & pay grade. I was there too a few years ago & to get the 'senior' bit inserted before the manager on the job title blokes will stop at nowt. Being only 44, I'm in the thick of the financial burden with kids at uni, a stay at home wife , cars all round and jack Russell terrier that has a liking for fine quality dog chews & loses tennis balls like nobody's business.

Off for a run to take my mind off it lol.

Carlos.

Life's a Marathon. Run in peace.
User
Posted 13 Jul 2014 at 18:44

Carlos you shouldn't need to worry too much about your job,as a cancer patient you are protected from discrimination.

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Livingwithandaftercancer/Workandcancer/Supportforemployees/Workcancer/Your%20rights/Protectionfromdiscrimination.aspx

Edited by member 13 Jul 2014 at 18:47  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Jul 2014 at 19:52
Hi

I can only share my experience having had a RP and follow up RT.

They are trying to determine if RP followed by RT is the best way foreword for high risk men.

Usually at the moment they will see what the histology is and the PSA at around 7 weeks. This will usually determine the best course of action. They always look for an undetectable PSA. (whatever that is). Some medics may suggest RT based upon histology alone but other will wait to see if the PSA increases across three successive tests.
My PSA was 0.06 following RP but rose to. 0.089 after 4 months so we agreed to RT. My PSA 5 months after RT was 0.048 so fingers crossed. Carlos I worked all the way through it and still do :)

RT, usually within 6 months of the RP, and without a recurrance is adjuvent RT. Rt given after a recurrance is known as salvage RT

Hope that helps

Bri
User
Posted 13 Jul 2014 at 21:37
Thanks Guys,

I'll take each day as it comes:-)

Life's a Marathon. Run in peace.