I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Doxetel

User
Posted 14 Jul 2014 at 19:28
Hi my husband started chemo after three half years on HT he suffered spinal cord compression and

Was admitted to hospital it has only been four months and my husband is walking with an aid and sometimes a crutch

Which all his professionals are so impressed with we are so determined to get through this we know he has the cancer in his bones but have been told there's still loads of treatment .

Our concern is this muscle stiffness is it the chemo and when it finishes will his legs be loads better? he is nearly half way through his 10 lots of treatment . Thanks sue.

User
Posted 20 Jul 2014 at 13:12

Hi Sue

SCC is very serious and I'm impressed at how well your husband has coped http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif. I've just finished my 15th session of Docetaxel and I know how hard it can be. I did 10 lots last year and am doing a further 10 this year after my PSA started rocketing again. It's very difficult to predict the side effects of Docetaxel as it varies enormously from man to man. I get a few but overall I'm probably more fortunate than most. What I did notice though, after my last ten sessions, was that my strength definitely improved and the tiredness faded. Now back into another ten, I can confirm that the tiredness has returned http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif. My cancer is widespread to bone and I have been fortunate to get Radium 223 (Alpharadin) on a trial. There are several Radium trials on the go and it would do no harm to ask your oncologist http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

Nil desperandum

Allister

User
Posted 20 Jul 2014 at 20:37
Hi sue

I am sorry to have missed this post, thank you to Allister for bringing it to the fore. His thoughts are spot on since he has such a breadth of experience of chemo and it's side effects. He is a remarkable man (I expect he is blushing now) and a wonderful support on this forum.

My husband hasn't begun chemo yet, though it is very much around the corner for us. His diagnosis must have been around the same time s your husband's. Our dear friend Edamo on this forum has very direct experience of SCC, as her husband had this unfortunate experience, he didn't do as well as your husband, so it is very pleasing to hear that some recovery is possible.

Anyway I only wanted to say hello, and let you know that people had read your story though I suspect that the lack of replies is down to the structure of this new forum and the fact that we old timers are finding it hard to adjust to rather than anything else.

Please let us know how you get on.

With love

Allison

User
Posted 21 Jul 2014 at 18:07
Hi Alison Thankyou for all your kind words ,I'm glad you think sharing my husbands recovery from scc is encouraging I was hoping

That I can show there is a positive outcome to this situation we find ourselves in.

My husband Ray was diagnosed three half years ago with PC spread to bones but was told there's lots of treatments out there ,

We have always been a very positive couple and carried on running our own fish and chip shop which kept my husband focused and helped him physically, at this point his treatment was zoladex injections and a steriod once a day this was working great.

He started to complain about back pain and I could kick myself for not acting on my instincts I'd read all about scc .

We were booked to go to lanzarote with our grandson and I suppose I didn't want to spoil things as we were all looking forward to the trip as we love our hols,

With my concerns I rang the hospital and after a little chat we agreed we were seeing the oncologist straight after the hol so we would leave it at that,

On the day before we were to come home my husband started to lose his legs if you like no balance etc

How we got home I don't know we had four hour flight and he then drove home from the airport.

When we arrived home he was straight in hospital for three weeks and he made more than good progress I must add I'm a very bossy wife and have pushed him we gave excercises everyday and we are now four months on and today we gave been out and he only had a crutch he has had to learn to walk keep his balance amongst other things he was fully dependant on me when he came home from hospital,

He has done so well and I think keeping positive and just taking it day by day is the key.

We are half way there now with the chemo and he gas managed that very well no sickness or hair loss just very stiff legs which

Is worse sometimes than others. I hope this positive attitude helps as I know he can't be cured but we going to face all what is thrown at us the best we can ,we have just got him insured for holiday insurance as we are hoping to go away for Christmas

Kind regards sue.