Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Alternative therapies

User
Posted 16 Jul 2014 at 12:52

hi

Does anyone have any experience of using alternative therapy i.e acupuncture, meditation, self healing etc to treat prostate cancer?

I would be interested to hear your story.

Scaro

User
Posted 17 Jul 2014 at 01:02
Hi Scaro,

Some members feel that they have been able to slow the advance of PCa by modifying their diet. How much difference this can make is difficult to quantify as this is based more on what those affected men feel rather than through independent trials. Generally speaking, those posting on non medically proven therapy have tended to be very sceptical - after all if there was effective alternatives such as you mention, this would save patients radical treatment which would also be a saving for the NHS. But those tending to use diet or alternative medicine usually also have recognised treatment. Many of us feel it is good to remain positive and motivated and to research treatment and be aware of what is continuing to become available to combat PCa. Volunteering to go on trials can result in men being closer monitored and benefiting from the latest advances and be especially beneficial for those with more advanced PCa.

PCa is very unpredictable and it is not impossible that some alternative therapies might reduce tumours or indeed in a few rare cases these might shrink without any treatment. But it is generally accepted that at present the best chance of combating PCa is with recognised medical treatment. Maybe some day a more natural treatment may be found - hopefully.
Barry
User
Posted 17 Jul 2014 at 06:29
Good answer Barry

Bri
User
Posted 17 Jul 2014 at 19:46
Hi Barry

Thank you. I've recently been diagnosed with PC (Gleason 7) and am I'm still trying to decide whether it should be surgery or radiotherapy. The doctors don't recommend one or the other very strongly and basically say its down to 'my personality'. I just wanted to know if there were any alternatives.

Scaro
User
Posted 17 Jul 2014 at 21:54
Hi Scaro.

An immediate thought on being told that the choice between surgery and radiotherapy is down to the patient might be, "why wouldn't the consultant suggest what might be better for me?" There are pros and cons of each of these therapies which need to be considered. One patient may wish to avoid surgery because at worst there is a risk of permanent incontinence whilst another prefer it because in some cases it can be followed up with RT statistically giving a better overall chance of combating the cancer. There are other reasons why a man might favour one method of treatment over another. Incidentally, there are 3 methods of surgery and at least 3 types of RT available in the UK though not all are available in all UK hospitals. An informed decision is best made after a comprehensive study of treatments and potential side effects. A good place to start is the 'Toolkit' from this charity.

Barry
User
Posted 11 Oct 2014 at 01:45

Let's be clear, there are no alternative or complementary therapies that can cure cancer. 

Alternative therapies are those which are proposed as replacements for conventional treatment. There are many of them, all spinning much the same line: chemotherapy is poison, radiotherapy is worse than nuclear fallout, and surgery is just butchery - but if you follow this "natural" treatment instead, then all will be well - provided you pay a mere $300 a month.  No doubt some practitioners are well meaning quacks who genuinely believe the twaddle they're pushing, but most are cynically exploiting the fears of the sick at a time when they're most vulnerable. 

On the other hand, there are Complementary treatments, which aim to support the patient while they're going through conventional cancer treatment. Personally, I have had acupuncture many times over the last 35 years and found it useful. At times when I'm feeling generally unwell, a few pins in strategic places seems to make all the difference - but whether it's really the pins or just the placebo effect working I still can't say. I will say that having 8 or 10 needles stuck in you week after week is a sure and certain cure for needle phobia, which is handy when you're a prostate cancer patient. 

I've also used meditation now and again. I find it helpful when I'm getting stressed out, such as waiting for the latest PSA result. There's a really useful video on YouTube called "One-Moment Meditation: How to Meditate in a Moment" which is great for a quick fix. 

Edited by member 11 Oct 2014 at 01:46  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Oct 2014 at 16:17

Thanks. Interesting and comforting that there really is no support for the idea of 'alternative' remedies for PC and that the 'conventional' treatments are the only way forward. Helpful also to read suggestions re acupuncture and meditation.