I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Steroids and Chemo

User
Posted 27 Jul 2014 at 13:53
Can anybody out there who has gone through chemo clarify something for us? Do you just take steroids for three days over the start of each chemo session or is there a low dose taken throughout treatment? We have been told different things by the onco's registrar who first said it was only over three days then came back and said she was sorry she had got it wrong and it was throughout the treatment at low dose and higher dose three days. At the pre assessment last week the nurse said it was only over three days?? I would like to know exactly what we should be expecting.

Thanks in advance.

Max

"You can only play the hand you're dealt"

User
Posted 27 Jul 2014 at 14:54

Hi Max,

Mine was ; Dexamethasone 2mg

take 4 tablets twice a day for one day starting 24 hours before chemo, then 4 once a day for two days then one tablet once a day for the next 5 days.

Hope that helps

Si

PS good luck with the chemo

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 27 Jul 2014 at 14:58
Hi my husband is on chemo he has twelve steriods to take the day before treatment

Four twelve hours before ,four three hours before and four one hour before, during this time he

Has more energy and his mobility is better I'm wondering weather it would be better for him

If he could have a smaller dose on a daily basis so he would be better overall whilst on chemo

Hope all goes well for you I'm sure it will all become clear .sue.

User
Posted 27 Jul 2014 at 15:18
Hi Eric was on peonislone 5mg twice daily .Erics legs became worse unable to take a few steps but he did have bad bone mets.Onco said the steriods were making his mobility worse so was told just to have one.

Best wishes to you both with your new treatment.

Carol

User
Posted 27 Jul 2014 at 16:31
Hi Max,

There seems to be quite a variation between oncologists. Whilst on chemo I took dexamethasone 24 and 12 hours before chemo and then prednisone twice daily during the whole period I was having chemo. Now chemo has stopped this has been reduced to once daily in order to "wean" me off it. Our in house expert on this is Allister (Alathays) who you may wish to email.

Life is for living

Barry (alias Barrington )

User
Posted 27 Jul 2014 at 17:51

Similar to TG, Neil was on Predniselone twice daily and dexa 4 tabs twice a day on the day before, the day of, and the day after chemo.

Now totally confused because of him having RT for spinal cord compression, he had had to stop the predniselone and is having dexa, 4 tabs twice a day and we will review on Tuesday. I agree that different oncos seem to do things differently as demonstated by differences in other treatment regimes for PCa.

Fiona.

User
Posted 28 Jul 2014 at 19:37
Thanks for all of your replies. My spouse had chemo today and the result was:

Dexamethasone for three days just before and after chemo and then two prednisalone per day for the rest of the time. Its amazing how many different methods there are.

Max

"You can only play the hand you're dealt"

User
Posted 29 Jul 2014 at 12:11

My husband is now on 2nd bout of chemo - inbetween he was on Abby tabs - he has been on daily steroids right throughout with extra

dose given IV during the chemo.

best wishes to all

Eileen

http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif

User
Posted 29 Jul 2014 at 21:29
Max that routine is the same that Mick had through 8 cycles of chemo.

Fiona SCC or early preventon of it always complicates the steroids as thy have to really load them in to reduce inflammation, if the SCC happens during chemo it can get very tricky to balance them to achieve desired results.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 01 Aug 2014 at 16:56
Hi all, as I mentioned earlier my OH had been having twelve steriods prior to treatment and

He was at his best around this time ,the chemo has not been much of a problem just his legs

Were and still are stiff and aches, I had been saying to him if you had a smaller dose of steriod all

Of the time it may help you all of the time,

Just been to hospital appointment and guess what he should have never been taken off his daily steriod ,this happened when he was discharged from hospital so he has gone without it for sixteen weeks! So back on a daily dose but with added dose prior to chemo ,hopefully he will back on track now , you always have to trust your instincts I knew this should have been the case . Sue.

User
Posted 12 Aug 2014 at 13:29
Just had first of 6 chemo sessions yesterday, had to take 4 steroid tablets 12,3 & 1 hour before chemo started. as well as continuing on twice daily of perdinsolone 5mg along with domperidone 10mg anti sickness tablets

Steve

User
Posted 12 Aug 2014 at 20:34

I take 24mg of Dexamethasone as 3 x 8mg  on the 12,3 & 1 hour regime before infusion. In between it's 5mg of prednisolone twice daily http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif

When not on a Chemo cycle (10 sessions in my case) I have to take 2 x 5mg of prednisolone or 1.0mg Dexamethasone daily as my adrenals are banjaxed due to all the steroids!  http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif

Edited by member 12 Aug 2014 at 20:43  | Reason: Not specified

Nil desperandum

Allister