I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Want to know more about the stages of the illness

User
Posted 04 Aug 2014 at 10:36

worriedwife: Hello there. I hope there's someone there to read my text and have an answer for me. My husband has been having to pass urine during the night for the past few years (I have no idea when it started but has been like this at least for 3 years). Then a couple of weeks ago one night he had difficulty emptying his bladder all night. Come morning he was fine and it didn't happen again. Then last week he felt sour one when he was passing urine. That hasn't happened again either. But it's a while (perhaps several months) that he has started leaking urine after he's been to the toilet. This seems to have got worse recently. Also in the last couple of weeks he has lost weight for no reason.

He has been working very hard and especially last week has been a hard week for him. He has a back pain and pain in his elbow which has got worse lately. he is 63 years old. Last week he saw his GP and was sent for a blood test. The hospital called home which I answered and they told me to ask him to book an appointment to see his GP. It was 6:30 on Friday and I couldn't do that. I called this morning and booked him for the first available appointment which is 1 and a half weeks later. I'm worried to death and need to know what's happening. I have read a lot of articles on line since Friday and finally found this one. Please can any one tell me if it's cancer what stage it might be? I'm very worried a sI think when you start losing weight that the cancer has started developing. Am I right? Please advise me I'm very worried.

There are no members currently in this chat

User
Posted 04 Aug 2014 at 11:59
Hi Worriedwife

Firstly welcome to the forum. The symptoms you describe can be cause by several condition, enlarged prostate, infection etc so don't panic, I know it's easy to say but hard to do, as we have all been there. I would definitely press for a earlier appointment, and if need be, be very forceful, as sometimes the receptionists don't understand your concerns, so don't take no for an answer. Did your husbands GP do a DRE where they feel the prostate by the insertion of a finger and if so did they comment, ie was it enlarged or irregular, before he had his blood test. I am sure others will come along to answer your questions as they are a great bunch on here, but your main goal should be to get to see your GP for the results so you know what you are dealing with, which I hope is not sinister, but if it is then the sooner treatment is started the better.

Good Luck

Roy

Edited by member 04 Aug 2014 at 12:01  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Aug 2014 at 12:06
Hello worriedman's wife.

First of all, it is not necessarily the case that your husband has prostate cancer - he may have an enlarged prostate or something called BPH. There are tablets for this which usually help reduce the night weeing etc. However, the hospital is clearly concerned about his PSA level (a measurement taken from his blood sample) so they will want him to have some more tests perhaps including maybe a biopsy and/or some scans.

In the circumstances, I think you should phone the GP back and insist on an appointment sooner than 1 1/2 weeks away. I imagine that the hospital person who rang you has also contacted your GP to advise him or her that they need to see you. Push for that appointment to be brought forward to the next couple of days. It sounds like he has gone into urinary retention a couple of times which can damage the kidneys if it goes on too long and the last thing you need is a middle of the night trip to A&E to get his bladder emptied!

The GP might want to refer your husband to the local hospital's urology department. Go along to the doctors with him and make sure to write down what his PSA score is. Did the GP stick a finger up your husband's bottom when the blood test was done? Did he make any comment about whether the prostate felt larger than usual?

It might not be cancer at all but the symptoms your husband is having are debilitating and unnecessary and need sorting out.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Aug 2014 at 12:07
Sorry Roy, my reply crossed with yours!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Aug 2014 at 12:55
Thank you so much LynEyre and Roy for replying to my worries. After posting the questions I found the live chat option and had a good chat with Nurse Meg who was most helpful and and her angelic voice calmed me down a lot. She advised me to all the GP again and ask for PSA levels and also like you both said to insist and get an earlier appointment. I found out the my husband's PSA is 4.7 and i managed to book him to see his GP this Wednesday, thank God. I'm still very worried as I was checking again and found out that 4.7 for his age (63) is not a good sign. What do you think? is it alarming? what's going to happen next? Thank you so much for being so kind and answering my questions.

User
Posted 04 Aug 2014 at 12:58
Oh I forgot to tell you that no the GP hasn't examined him yet.
User
Posted 04 Aug 2014 at 13:15
Hi

A PSA of 4.7 is not that bad, to put it into context I was 57 at diagnosis with a PSA of 94.4, but with your level of PSA it would be prudent to have a DRE if not already done followed by an MRI to the prostate prior to a biopsy to ascertain the grading if cancer is found, and possibly a bone scan so you have the full picture. A MRI is not always performed prior to a biopsy but it is becoming more widely available as it is seen to allow a better targeting by the needles. PSA reading alone is not necessary an indication of cancer but an indication that it needs investigating so your GP should refer your husband for the further tests and then you will know what you are dealing with.

All the best

Roy

User
Posted 04 Aug 2014 at 13:19

Hello Worried man's wife,

I agree with Roy and Lyn, much better to get an earlier appointment. Sometimes you need to be forceful. I am glad that you have had a chat with one of the nurses and this has eased some of your worries. As Lyn and Roy have said this may not be pca related but still needs looking into.

A psa of 4.7 is not terribly high for his age but it is always better to get things checked, it does sound as if your GP was on the ball getting the apropriate  tests done.

Easy to say but try not to worry to much.

BFN

Julie

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 04 Aug 2014 at 13:22
Thank you for your reply. If cancer is found with this level of PSA is it likely to be at initial stages?
User
Posted 04 Aug 2014 at 13:25

Thank you Trevor. I'm so g;ad I found this website. Everybody here is so kind and helpful. I feel better now that I have found you guys and some of my questions have been answered. I managed to get him an appointment for this wednesday and will definitely let you guys know how we get on. A million thanks. 

User
Posted 04 Aug 2014 at 15:26

Hi Worried mans wife,

The PSA doesnt necessarily have a bearing on the stage of a mans disease, some PCas never give out a high PSA. You will need the full range of diagnostic tests to establish whats going on, a horrible time for all of us, both men and their partners. As others have commented, it may be another prostate related condition so try not to jump to conclusions, hard as this is !

Regards, Fiona.

User
Posted 04 Aug 2014 at 17:07
Hi

Just one more bit of advice, accompany your OH on his consultations and write down your questions beforehand, then either write down the answers, or record them on your phone or tablet, you can get free apps for this, as at this stage it is easy to forget to ask the questions or get confused by the replies.

All the best

Roy

User
Posted 04 Aug 2014 at 18:58
I haven't seen it mentioned that BPH which is a benign enlargement of the prostate can cause the psa to rise .

There are many men who now take a tablet which reduces inflammation / enlargement to help with flow. Far more than are diagnosed with more serious problems.

User
Posted 05 Aug 2014 at 16:09

It may also help to know that PSA levels are higher after exercise - men are usually advised to refrain from exercise (and sex!) for 48 hours before PSA test is done.  That may not have happened before your husband's.  Good luck for tomorrow.