Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Riding a Bike with Locally Advanced PC

User
Posted 08 Aug 2014 at 12:34

Hi

Since my diagnosis of locally advanced PC (cancer has broken through side of the prostate), I have totally changed my diet to avoid all the bad foods.  As a result, I have already lost a stone and a quarter in weight (to twelve and a half stone) in about two months.  I'm on hormone therapy at the moment and due to have radiotherapy in October.  I'm trying to get fitter by walking between 3 and 5 miles a day and would very much like to get my bike out and go on some bike rides with the family.

This maybe a stupid question but if you ride a bike, is there any chance that the pressure on your bum (if you've ever be saddle-sore after riding a bike you know what I mean) could increase the risk of spreading the cancer in view of the fact that the side of the prostate is already damaged?

Steve

User
Posted 08 Aug 2014 at 13:04
Science is undecided right now. Things generally accepted as true in the UK:-

- competitive and regular cyclists often have a higher PSA than other men even though they don't have PCa

- cycling in the couple of days prior to a PSA test can make the result about 10% higher than it would otherwise have been (thereby risking false positives, unnecessary biopsy etc in a non-PCa man or undue concern and sleepless nights for a man already being treated who suddenly gets an inexplicable rise)

- men that have had the op are often advised not to cycle for a while afterwards to give the nerve bundles a chance to repair and reduce the risk of ED becoming permanent

- some people now believe that men who do a lot of cycling in their younger years may be at higher risk of developing PCa later on. We once had a thread going on here where everyone contributed their hobbies, professions etc and there were certainly a LOT of bike-owners but science has not been able to prove a link and let's face it, if 80% of 80 year olds have prostate cancer and most littlle boys own a bike at some time, it is really no great surprise!

- while having RT/HT it is really important to keep active and attempt to maintain muscle

John's bike was out of bounds for 6 months post op but by the time he had RT/HT he was cycling regularly we spent the 3 weeks between his RT tattoo / planning appointment and his first zapping cycling in France :-)

Perhaps best yo check with your onco before you buy any new Lycra

Edited by member 08 Aug 2014 at 13:08  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Aug 2014 at 13:21

Thanks, Lyn.

As usual, good info.

I may not risk it.  I plan run the Reading Half Marathon next March to raise money for Prostate Cancer UK.  I used to be a regular runner until recent years but I feel I need to get back to doing it again (treatment permitting).  I need a goal to aim for.  If I can't run it, I'll walk it.  Riding the bike was my next step towards getting fitter before starting running but I may play safe.

Thanks.

Steve

User
Posted 08 Aug 2014 at 16:35
You surprise me - if I was your OH I would be pushing you out of the door with your bicycle clips! Just do it my friend, life is too short to waste time pondering the unknown and it is to late to worry that cycling might give you cancer, you've already got it!

Edited by member 08 Aug 2014 at 16:37  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Aug 2014 at 18:19

Don't worry, Lyn, if I don't cycle I will be running instead. 

I going to do the exercise but as I said if cycling could possibly aggrevate the damaged prostate and cause the cancer to spread then I would rather not take the chance.  I prefer to run anyway.  

I used to run 45 -50 miles a week and hope to get back to doing about half that if I can.  The cycling was just a preparation for that.

Have a good weekend.

Steve