I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PCa surgeon sacked

User
Posted 17 October 2014 23:08:57(UTC)
Article in Telegraph today - Surrey and Sussex Healthcare Trust have set up a helpline for men treated by urologist Paul Miller who has been dismissed after it was identified that 27 patients had 'come to harm' under his care. Five patients died and review letters have been sent to 1200 patients. If you were under Mr Miller but haven't received a letter (house move maybe) the helpline number for east Surrey hospital patients is 0808 168 7754. Spire are also reviewing his private patient lists and offering telephone advice to men or their relatives on 0800 093 7551

Case has been referred to the Royal College of Surgeons although Mr Miller is appealing against his dismissal
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Thanked 2 times
User
Posted 17 October 2014 23:08:57(UTC)
Article in Telegraph today - Surrey and Sussex Healthcare Trust have set up a helpline for men treated by urologist Paul Miller who has been dismissed after it was identified that 27 patients had 'come to harm' under his care. Five patients died and review letters have been sent to 1200 patients. If you were under Mr Miller but haven't received a letter (house move maybe) the helpline number for east Surrey hospital patients is 0808 168 7754. Spire are also reviewing his private patient lists and offering telephone advice to men or their relatives on 0800 093 7551

Case has been referred to the Royal College of Surgeons although Mr Miller is appealing against his dismissal
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Thanked 2 times
User
Posted 01 July 2015 10:41:36(UTC)

Hello Marianne.
I've just read through your history and just wanted to say I feel for you and all that your husband went through.

It's bad enough that we lose loved ones to cancer but now you have the added stress of knowing Paul Miller may not have been the one to seek treatment from.

However, hindsight is a wonderful thing. You went into HIFU and TURP with this man trusting him. If he purported to have the skills you needed then why wouldn't you trust him.

I wish you well and hope that you have found some kind of peace in the time since you lost your husband in 2011

All the best
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
Thanked 2 times
User
Posted 28 April 2017 21:17:17(UTC)

Thank you for clarifying that Lyn. As we say here sometimes, consultants tend to favour their own specialty but it seems Paul Miller took this to the extreme. It may be that a MDT treatment view was not provided or passed to the patients. Patients normally believe what a consultant tells them and it is therefore imperative that all options along with risks and possible side effects are made clear to a patient so a more informed decision can be made.

Barry
Thanked 2 times
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 July 2015 09:13:06(UTC)

In November 2014, I was shocked to hear, on SKY news, that Paul Miller had been suspended.
Cutting a very long, sad story short, my husband was treated by Paul Miller from 2006-2010 both at Spire Gatwick (HIFU + TURP) and East Surrey hospitals (TURP) and I have serious criticisms of Mr Miller. My husband sadly died in January 2011.
I never received a letter from Spire Gatwick Park or East Surrey hospitals, perhaps I didn't fall into their catagory. I rang both help lines and my name and details were taken for return phone calls.
I still don't really know all the details of Paul Miller's suspension, only that it was for performing HIFU.
I have looked on the GMC web site but nothing seems to have happened since Paul Miller's suspension in 2013.

User
Posted 01 July 2015 10:41:36(UTC)

Hello Marianne.
I've just read through your history and just wanted to say I feel for you and all that your husband went through.

It's bad enough that we lose loved ones to cancer but now you have the added stress of knowing Paul Miller may not have been the one to seek treatment from.

However, hindsight is a wonderful thing. You went into HIFU and TURP with this man trusting him. If he purported to have the skills you needed then why wouldn't you trust him.

I wish you well and hope that you have found some kind of peace in the time since you lost your husband in 2011

All the best
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
Thanked 2 times
User
Posted 01 July 2015 17:57:21(UTC)

Maz, he was dismissed. Phone the helpline number again and ask them to send you the formal letter that your husband should have received. Then maybe get some legal advice or at least Google to find out which legal firm is acting on behalf of claimants. You may not have a case but I would want the reviewers to know your husband's story.

Thanked 1 time
User
Posted 02 July 2015 08:47:20(UTC)

Maz

I am lost for words. I hope you can recover from your trauma one day and live your own life - maybe this will help in some way.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
Thanked 1 time
User
Posted 02 July 2015 08:55:02(UTC)

hi maz

best I can do is send you a HUG

nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'
'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'
Thanked 1 time
User
Posted 28 April 2017 15:18:17(UTC)

The Surrey consultant Paul Miller has been reinstated but only for urology work. I have just been through all my papers regarding the sacking of Paul Miller in 2013 and I came across an American article about HIFU side effects, including fistulas. My husband developed a bowel/bladder fistula in 2009/10. One of his previous consultants blamed it on the radiotherapy my husband had in 2000. I now believe it was more likely to have been caused by the HIFU + TURP my husband had in 2006, at Spire Gatwick Park, performed by Paul Miller. I see that on this web site, side effects from HIFU now include fistula. I wonder how many other men had this problem ?

Although the fistula was mentioned to my husband's doctor, nothing was done about it.

Thanked 1 time
User
Posted 28 April 2017 18:23:25(UTC)

Maz,

Very sorry you lost your husband but would like to know whether Paul Miller was dismissed because he botched HIFU or because he was not athorised to do the procedure. Fistulas were a known risk with HIFU but through refinement the incidence is now much lower.

Another surgeon, Dr Ian Paterson, is in the news today and he is unlikely to operate again having been found guilty of carrying out unnecessary ops on many women. He should have been stopped when radiologists raised concern. He did NHS and private work. Thankfully, such Drs are few.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39748246

Barry
Thanked 1 time
User
Posted 28 April 2017 19:36:06(UTC)

It wasn't for either, Barry - it was for performing HIFU on men whose PCa needed more radical treatment, not explaining that it was an experimental treatment and for not telling patients that other treatments might be more suitable. Ten of his patients died as a result of his mistreatment - some of those might still be here if they had seen another urologist, had RP or RT, or had the benefit of a MDT to review their treatment options.

Thanked 1 time
User
Posted 28 April 2017 21:17:17(UTC)

Thank you for clarifying that Lyn. As we say here sometimes, consultants tend to favour their own specialty but it seems Paul Miller took this to the extreme. It may be that a MDT treatment view was not provided or passed to the patients. Patients normally believe what a consultant tells them and it is therefore imperative that all options along with risks and possible side effects are made clear to a patient so a more informed decision can be made.

Barry
Thanked 2 times
User
Posted 29 April 2017 08:52:30(UTC)

http://www.ts-p.co.uk/news/bbc-news-interview-involving-consultant-urologist-mr-paul-miller

I am sorry to read your story Marion.

The link above indicates an inquest being held in May, and mentions a firm of solicitors involved. It may be of use to you if you were not already aware?

dave

Be content with your choice of treatment at the time you make it. Then make the best of every minute, every hour, every day.
Thanked 1 time
User
Posted 05 May 2017 08:01:49(UTC)

Yes, Miller was using HIFU as a first course of treatment. My husband had it as a second course of treatment in 2006, having had radiotherapy in 2000. We stayed with Miller after the HIFU in the NHS. 3 years after the HIFU my husband developed the fistula. He'd also had 2 rigid cystoscopies and another TURP. I'm sure all that invasive treatment didn't do the prostate & bladder much good.

Lyn, I tried sending you a private message but your in box is full.

Thank you for your input

User
Posted 05 May 2017 16:56:43(UTC)

Ah, sorry Maz - I don't do private messages as I think it is important that replies are out there to be corrected by other members if necessary.

I read back through your old posts last week though and wondered if the reason you weren't contacted by the legal firms was because your OH did his own research and sought out HIFU rather than Miller persuading him. Plus as far as I understand it, the case against him was for offering HIFU as a primary treatment to men who needed more radical intervention whereas salvage HIFU is less experimental and has had good results.

Perhaps you could contact one of the legal firms anyway and see what they say?

User
Posted 05 May 2017 19:13:30(UTC)

Thanks Lyn. You are probably right. No point me persuing it legally. It won't bring Mick back :(

Others will take legal action, no doubt, and it will be a kind of justice for me too.

How are you getting on with your OH ??

Forgive me if there is news I don't know about or have not read in one of your posts.

Mar.

User
Posted 05 May 2017 22:51:00(UTC)

It seems J's PSA tests were giving unreliable results and he may be in remission (fingers crossed for later this month) but Dad's PSA is rising more quickly and he is going on another cruise so still refusing to consider salvage treatment :-/

How are you coping with your new normal?

User
Posted 05 May 2017 23:22:53(UTC)

Maz,

Thank you for your comments, I appreciate this may be difficult for you. I also had HIFU as a salvage treatment following RT. I know HIFU has been refined in recent years with fewer men having fistulas but it still happens occasionally. It's approaching 2 years since my HIFU op and I rather thought I had got past the point where a fistula might happen. But this happening to your husband after 3 years reminds me that one can never take anything for granted.

i

h

Barry
User
Posted 06 May 2017 07:34:43(UTC)

Hi Barry,

We were not told of the possibility of a fistula and possibly in 2006, they didn't know. In USA they did know. My problem is that when my husband reported air getting into his catheter bag, nothing was done to investigate. With the 2 rigid cystoscopies and the 2nd TURP, no doubt the fistula got bigger. When we saw the "experts" at UCLH in 2010 it was too late.

Presumably you are not catheterised ?

Mar.

User
Posted 06 May 2017 07:47:22(UTC)

sorry to hear about your husband,we all put our faith in these doctors,but why could it not be treated if pc was in the seminal vessicles,i know from experience that different drs say different things,it all gets confusing.

User
Posted 06 May 2017 07:49:43(UTC)

Hi Lyn, 

I do hope J is in remission. If you dad is happy with his situation, best to go with it. I wish now we had gone with the wait and see process. We thought the HIFU would end it for good. I spoke to a man the other day who was diagnosed in 1994 with agressive prostate cancer and is still being watched ! He is on Abiraterone now. He is 81 years old.

Not sure about coping with my "new normal". There are times when I don't cope at all. This business with Miller is two steps back. Are you in the Surrey/Sussex area too ?

Mar.

User
Posted 06 May 2017 09:46:47(UTC)

Thanks Maz - no, I am 'up north'.

There is a lot to be said for active treatment but you may remember that I used to post about my 3 men, which included my father-in-law? He definitely did it his own way, refusing any treatment except the chemo and PSA monitoring, but his PSA turned out to be very unreliable in that he died suddenly with spread to the soft organs and a PSA of 1.2

So while I am okay with Dad taking a similar path and I smile nicely at the onco when he tells me John is in remission, a little bit of me retains a healthy distrust!

It is normal to go forward and then be knocked back by something, you are only human. The important thing is not to let anyone tell you how you should be "by now" or "at this stage" :-/

User
Posted 20 May 2017 18:31:47(UTC)

From reading other posts, I get the impression that a TURP can spread the cancer.
I have just been through my husband's notes and I have found that his PSA rose quite quickly after his HIFU & TURP operation in 2006.
In 2007 the PSA level went up from 3.8 to 14.4 - quite a lot. Paul Miller put it down to the cancer being in the seminal vesicle.
Was it the 2nd TURP in 2009 that spread the cancer (to adrenal glands and liver) ?
The more I try to make sense of what caused what, the more questions I have.
Mar.

User
Posted 20 May 2017 21:29:39(UTC)

I think if TURP spreads cancer, urologists wouldn't be allowed to do this procedure to patients, and NICE would not be allowing the research teams to include it in their trials as mentioned in one of the other threads yesterday.

However in your case, with an egomaniac urologist who seems to have been more interested in furthering his own aims than the welfare of his patients, who knows.

User
Posted 21 May 2017 01:56:10(UTC)

With surgery there is a very small risk of spread of the cancer as https://prostatecancerin...-spread-prostate-cancer/

The subject was also raise in another thread - Posted 20 May 2017 13:30:00

As my profile shows I opted for different meds rather than a Turps to avoid any risk of spread. This was thought to be the reason why one member, who sadly is no longer with us, came out of remission.

Did you answer a serious of questions re waterworks—as the total score can be of more importance than one or two low scores. Have you had a flow test—did that show retaining too much water even though you might feel like bladder is empty?

If via NHS they don’t spend monies lightly so can’t see them offering it if not needed but as first paragraph shows we each make choices

Good luck on your PCa journey

Ray

Posted 21 May 2017 02:25:35

Ray,

If you are thinking of the same much missed member as me, he had two turps and it may have been coincidental but this did seem to raise the rise in his PSA and I did wonder at the time whether without these the rise would have been so steep. Also, he choose his own parameters on the PSA levels to start IHT and to come off it rather than what his onco recommended. But as he used to say "Life is for Living" and he had 15 years from diagnosis.

There has to be a risk, albeit a small one, that a Turp, biopsy or Prostatectomy may in the process cause some cancerous cells to be released in the process.
Barry

Barry

©2018 Prostate Cancer UK