I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Ever Decreasing Circles part three

User
Posted 23 Sep 2015 at 21:52

This is so weird but I had a premonition that you were going to say this Paul, I can totally identify with your saying that the Cancer was like some silent partner like a sleeping tiger that was just letting you make choices irrespective of your diagnosis and know it has shown you that IF IT WAKES just what it is capable of . I totally get your decision life is about choices and when our choices are made because of outside factors then they are not so easy to swallow. Remember our dear friend TG "Life is about living" well whatever makes you happy is the right choice.

BFN

Julie x

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 23 Sep 2015 at 23:50

Have been out for the evening so not been able to respond to some lovely and challenging posts. I won't retire until April, ample time to get my head round retirement possibilities and I do have a novel to finish as Lyn correctly reminds me. I have not got a great financial deal for my retirement but for lots of reasons the time seems right. I have been given time at work over the next eight months to do some academic writing projects and focus on a new role I have been elected to, Chair of the national Probation Institute and this is very much around my professional experience and knowledge.

I stepped down as head of the Research Centre I have run for 13 years on Monday which was strange and difficult but which creates the space to do other things, the uni have been great at helping me with this so feel quite privileged. Once I have got used to these changes I think I can enjoy the next few months and probably feel less tired.

Sandra talked about putting the more strenuous, physical tasks at the top of the list which made me smile. My biggest challenge is physical tasks of any kind, even walking anywhere has become more and more difficult. I guess I will be prioritising those things which don't demand much physical activity as unlikely to be able to manage those. So maybe cricket scoring is on, Lyn though did that for so long I think I might just watch.

I suppose my job which is mainly using my mind has allowed me to work longer than a more physically demanding job could have done. I have found my physical weaknesses have challenged me more and more and there are things I simply cannot do now. My image of 'ever decreasing circles' applies here. I accept restrictions and over time these might increase. I do not worry about this as I expect this to happen but as long as I can keep myself mentally active then I can remain engaged and fulfilled.

Yes lots to do and family and friends to create memories with. I hVe rambled on not because I am depressed about the change just to draw out my strategy and thinking aloud helps.

I really appreciate all the thoughts and ideas. Thanks!

User
Posted 24 Sep 2015 at 01:47

Paul,

I just wanted to wish you all the best for your future plans.  I'm sure you will be happy when you get used to your new lifestyle after April.

You've made a good decision.  I only wish I could only make my mind up about an important step in my life, it too easy to put it off till another day.  I'm sure I'll regret the delay very soon. 

Take care.

Steve

User
Posted 24 Sep 2015 at 17:39

Paul, I apologise, I didn't realise that ANY physical activity was challenging.

At the risk of offending you (again) would you be totally against zipping around on a scooter so that you can really conserve what energy you have?

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 24 Sep 2015 at 18:51

Please don' t apologise Sandra, I wasn't offended at all. I have found walking challenging something I used to enjoy so much. Some of that problem has eased with the improvement in my right leg but there is still pain when I walk. I have joked with my son about a motorised scooter so not a far fetched idea at all. I am more mobile than that for now and can do a credible impression of being fine when I am in company. I tended to lecture sitting down when in Hong Kong recently but when I give a speech I am still on my feet moving around. I may pay for it the next day but I get more adrenalin for the speech when standing.

I have managed my issues ok so far. I get around in the car a lot and now have a blue badge which helps. I struggle up hills and upstairs but I get there. One thing that keeps me going is when I visit my 92 year old Mum who has just had a hip operation. She is unaware of my situation so I suddenly have to appear completely ok, the other day she said to me that I could use her blue badge when coming to the hospital with her, I decided not to tell her I already have one!

Luckily lots of the things I like - reading, dining out, watching sports, theatre and films, seeing the countryside, being with family and friends - can mostly be accomplished without too much physical activity. But if and when the scooter becomes necessary I will embrace the freedom it might give me to 'walk' rather than drive!

User
Posted 24 Sep 2015 at 21:28

Paul you know what is right for you and you have made your decision. I know you will make sure you will continue to make many happy memories and do the things you love....I saw this quote by Bob Marley....

"Money is numbers and numbers never end.
If it takes money to be happy, your search for happiness will never end".

Speak soon

Bri

User
Posted 24 Sep 2015 at 22:02
nice one Bri

xx

Mo

User
Posted 25 Sep 2015 at 20:16
Paul

Personally I'm very pleased to read that you have decided to retire from your post, I know how much your work means to you but I also know that you will continue to contribute in so many other ways. Like many have said, it won't be long before you'll wonder how on earth you found time to go to work.

A sensible choice. John left work almost immediately upon diagnosis (he had spent 46 years in the RAF and didn't even get a thank you). In truth he hasn't felt well enough for much of that time to do anything other than potter, he had great plans of course, but the HT caused such severe fatigue that he has not been able to do the things he had hoped to do, he is though, concentrating on his model train set now at last, I can't wait to hear the sound of the train on track after 25 years of collecting the makings of it.

Lots of love

Allison

User
Posted 26 Sep 2015 at 10:50

Thanks Allison I appreciate your thoughts. I do have over seven months to begin to wind down, to build up other things to do and get used to the idea in my head. I just hope I can stay reasonably well until next Spring so I can enjoy a bit of 'me' time. I do have the novel to work on and will stay involved in a voluntary capacity with some work which helps the transition. But after months of deliberations the dye is cast. So onwards and upwards.

User
Posted 06 Oct 2015 at 10:40

Had urology appointment today with a new person after the problems earlier in the year! Although my PCa treatment is now under an oncologist I wanted to maintain links with urology for my anciliary issues around urinary tract infections and self catherisation. So as if on cue, on Saturday for the first time in about four months I get a UTI! So back to the anti biotics. This led to a useful conversation with my new uro, who I liked a lot, about the issue of becoming resistant to the anti biotics over time. I take a prophylactic dose daily and now seemingly every three to four months I get a UTI and thus a full blast of the same anti biotic. He is worried that over time resistance will grow. We agreed to trial coming off the prophylactic dose in the new year once my visits to Hong Kong are over as the last thing I want is the drag down that UTI's bring me when I get one. But then might try it to see if UTI becomes more frequent again.

intermittent self catherisation to remain as twice a day for now and he was happy with that regime. So a good road test for my 'uro' complaints and someone who gave me time and discussed the issues in some depth. Just got to get rid of this UTI now before returning to HK in late October.

Edited by member 09 Oct 2015 at 18:29  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Dec 2015 at 11:34

Ok oncologist check up today and I saw yet another one in the team, this time a man! Bad news is PSA has begun to rise from a steady state of mid twenties up to 38 which takes it back to what it was like a year ago when I started casodex. So the casodex journey is over, the onco considers me as hormone refractory. Bit of a blow just before Christmas but not unexpected. I am having a CT Scan and further PSA to create a baseline before enzalutimide starts in about five weeks. Enzo chosen because of my diabetes. Xmas slows down the CT scan process so a short wait but PSA has only returned to what it was a year ago so I do not think a few weeks will make a difference.

I suppose I was expecting this with some increased pain in the last few weeks and increased tiredness and he has given me some oramorph if the pain returns. At the moment when I rest well it's not too bad but I got too tired at the Euston Flyer and the discomfort of the seats led to a bad reaction and I really had a bad week after that. I could have done with better pain relief then so it's good to have some in reserve.

So can I wish everyone a great Christmas wherever you are on your journey. My circles have narrowed a bit more but let's hope the new drug will give me a back in the new year.

User
Posted 22 Dec 2015 at 11:41

Hi Paul
So sorry you've received this news at this time of the year , not untypical heh . I just want to wish you well also and hope the Enzo works a treat . I guess I may be teaching you to suck eggs , but you can take codeine , ibuprofen and paracetamol all together every 4 hours as stated on the packets . I realise your pain is probably surpassing that but it works for me when I suffer .
All the best
Chris

User
Posted 22 Dec 2015 at 17:07

Thinking of you Paul and hoping the pain becomes manageable, especially at this seasonal time.

Christmas makes everything so much worse doesn't it, and yet the situation is the same.

As you say, your circles may be decreasing but the ripples on the pond that reflect your journey with PCa can only have inspired others given your determination and optimism in the past. Indeed, into the future too since you are already thinking in terms of a new year.

Best Wishes and as Happy a Christmas as you can have with this hanging over you

User
Posted 22 Dec 2015 at 17:28

Thanks Chris. It all started about four years ago so there is a certain symmetry to developments. A year ago I started casodex so if this holds maybe I'll get a year out of enzo, we live in hope! I am aware of the combination for pain killing and tried something similar when it would not shift but it wasn't enough. So not intending to use the oramorph unless I get into pain I cannot shift but good to have the back up.

User
Posted 22 Dec 2015 at 17:48
Paul

I am saddened to hear this but not at all surprised. You looked to be in significant pain when you came for dinner the other Sunday.

Talking of pain, the theory in the hospice is that once the pain gets a hold it is really hard to shift it. The consultants there advise patients to ask for more pain relief if the pain reaches a level 5 on a 1 to 10 scale.

Also be mindful that once oramorph is opened it has a fairly short shelf life (90 days rings a bell)

Our pharmacy used to dispense it in smaller bottles when Mick first started using it.

I know you well enough by now to know that you will just carry on as you always do with amazing fortitude and a significant dollop of stoicism.

All my best wishes

Xx

Mo

User
Posted 22 Dec 2015 at 18:02

Thanks Sandra. It will not impact upon my Christmas. It has always been a poignant time for me for mainly good (so many wonderful memories of Christmas with my two children and my own childhood) occasionally a bit challenging (I was in hospital having RT for testicular cancer Xmas 1982 and my dad was taking seriously ill Christmas Eve) but we have always managed to get stuck into the day and make the best of it. This year is no exception. Whilst it is always difficult to move on in this journey I have no illusions that moving on will take place. The timetable has key events on it even if the actual timing is at the will of my body against the cancer. So I have reached the next twist in the road and I always start hopeful I get a bit of time before the next twist. But I do know other twists will arrive and I am comfortable with that. Meanwhile it's time to enjoy Christmas. Have a good one Sandra.

Thanks Mo. The pain is manageable most of the time with ordinary pain killers but occasionally it becomes more severe and so the oramorph will help that as it is relatively quick acting. If I rest and do not spend too much time in seats which aggregate my pubic bone I am ok. So I will take care but am hoping to have a peaceful time over the next month and see if this enzo will help when it starts in late January.

User
Posted 22 Dec 2015 at 20:02
Paul

Sorry to hear about your latest development,your calm attitude to the situation never ceases to amaze me. I know you will have a good Xmas and I will raise a glass to you on Xmas day.

Love Chris and Dawn

User
Posted 22 Dec 2015 at 20:11

Sorry that the PSA has crept up Paul. But you obviously had an inkling.
I have no doubt you will shelve this until the new year and not let it spoil your xmas. Hopefully you will get any pain under control now you have been prescribed the pain killer.

See you in the new year

Bri

User
Posted 22 Dec 2015 at 21:22

You have responded well so far, I hope the enzo is long-lived and without too many side effects.

Have a wonderful Christmas my friend xxx

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Dec 2015 at 21:41

Hi Paul sorry to hear your news hope all goes well in Jan have a great xmas and new year Andy

User
Posted 22 Dec 2015 at 23:02
Paul

I'm so sorry to read this, I was hopeful you'd get longer on Casodex but John only lasted 3 horrible months and yet 2.5 years on Stillbestrill - there's no rhyme or reason sometimes is there? Rest and pain relief is part of the answer, I know your enquiring mind will be reading and enjoying some down time after so long working, not many men make it to four years and working with advanced cancer. I'm pretty sure the Enzo will give you significant relief my friend. Here's to a lovely festive season, surrounded by family and friends.

Much love

Devonmaid xxx

Edited by member 08 Jan 2016 at 18:39  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Dec 2015 at 11:39
Sorry to read this Paul , I have everything crossed that the Enzo will work for a long time to come as Alison says quite why some drugs seem to work for years and others not is a mystery.

Happy Xmas X

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 23 Dec 2015 at 13:46

We do feel for you, Paul; Tony's cancer started romping away beyond the reach of hormones by October. At this stage the pain had returned and was getting quite severe. He had been taking various analgesics in a rather haphazard, as-needed way, but eventually phoned the GP who was great. She prescribed Solpadol (paracetamol plus codeine) plus ibroprofen, four times a day, no messing about. Within a day or two he was pain-free.

He started Enzalutamide, but continued taking the pain relief for a month more, until he was sure it was working. When his PSA went down again, he phased out the painkillers and is still pain-free. He had a few nights when he felt a bit strange and jumpy, probably because of stopping the codeine, but that was brief. Today he is in the middle of shifting two tons of gravel from our gate to the far end of the garden by wheelbarrow (not all today, this is a work in progress!). He doesn't have the energy he did, and needs to sleep more, but we can live with that. Otherwise he feels and looks well, and is enjoying his food and drink. We know we're on borrowed time, but that will do nicely for now and will at least allow us a Christmas that is something like normal.

I hope the "magic beans" work as well for you, when you get them In the meantime, be kind to yourself and keep taking the tablets to stay on top of the pain.

Marje

User
Posted 23 Dec 2015 at 14:26
Marje

I know this is Paul's conversation but I also know he won't mind me using it to say how really pleased I was to read that Tony is doing so well again. A real boost for you both ..brilliant news

all the best

xx

Mo

User
Posted 23 Dec 2015 at 14:52

Thank you, Mo. The support and understanding on this forum, from you and others, has been really valuable to us during this last 15 months, and I'm sure this will continue in the difficult times ahead. But for now, let's all enjoy Christmas in the best way we can.
Season's greetings to all,
Marje

User
Posted 23 Dec 2015 at 15:36

Marje, this is wonderful news - I hope we have similar great feedback from Yorkhull in a couple of months' time x

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Dec 2015 at 15:43

Thanks everyone for your kind messages, I am feeling ok really. It's just another keg of this journey. Thanks too to Allison I seemed to jumped a bit in my journey but you are right I have had four great years working and this year will be retirement and new opportunities. And let,s hope I can report back in 2017!

User
Posted 23 Dec 2015 at 15:47

Just seen your comments Marje, most encouraging. I was thinking that if it works then I should get a bit of pain relief but most of the time I am ok, particularly if I rest properly. great to hear the positive impact on Tony though I hope I don't start moving gravel, not really something I have ever wanted to do! Have a good Christmas all.

Edited by member 23 Dec 2015 at 17:35  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Dec 2015 at 18:26
Bugger where did than come from probably mo roast pork

No need to say put it to the back of your mind I know you to well it's in the back of your mind out the door and down the road

Have a great Christmas mate and look forward to seeing you in the new year

Si ness and the girls

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 23 Dec 2015 at 20:59
Hi Paul

sorry to hear your news but in true Paul style you wont dwell on this.

I hope the Enzo gives you more quality

time on your retirement.

Sending best wishes to you

Carol

User
Posted 23 Dec 2015 at 21:13
Hi Paul

Sorry to hear of your latest psa rise, I do so hope enzalutamide works for you in Jan.

Bob did well on abiraterone, stilbestrol then a bit of radiotherapy after becoming hormone resistant in Nov 2013.

Have a great Xmas with the family.

Lesley x

User
Posted 24 Dec 2015 at 02:31
Hi Paul,

Enjoyed being able to have a brief chat at the Flyer.

Hope things improve for you in the New Year.

Have a Good Christmas with family and friends.

Steve

User
Posted 24 Dec 2015 at 08:03
Hi Paul, sorry I am late with this but like everyone else I wish you well and hope that whatever the quacks try next has a successful and lasting outcome. It was great to be with you at the Flyer and look forward to seeing you at the Mill in the summer!

Like you Xmas is a time I love, l hope you have a great one.

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 24 Dec 2015 at 10:38

Thanks Simon, Lesley and Carol. It's Christmas now and it's 2016 soon and that is worth celebrating, four years and counting. The rest will take care of itself.

User
Posted 24 Dec 2015 at 10:52

I just want to offer a little about my way of coping. I blogged to my close friends in a private blog I have kept since this all started. I wanted to share that with you as a contribution to 'ways of thinking' about this disease. Here it is........................

It was a fascinating day just a couple of days before Xmas and just about four years on from my original diagnosis. Although it started with a bit of a jolt. My journey is clear, which overall I accept or at least have become accustomed to, even if the time it will take is unpredictable. The uncertainty of the certainty gives plenty of scope for living and this has already given me four very good years. So when the oncologist reported a rise, a spike, in my PSA, whilst disappointed, I did think well this was not unexpected. I had gone a year since the last spike and in that time the additional drug I was given from last January did its job and kept my PSA stable for a year, longer than average for that drug as my onco mentioned today. So yes that journey is over but the boy done good! In five weeks time after a precautionary CT Scan to check if there has been any soft tissue development I will start a newer more heavy duty drug called enzalutimide. My journey continues.

I have used the image of 'ever decreasing circles' as my strapline. I think it acts as a metaphor for my life, maybe for anyone's life. We start life with horizons broad and options many. As we make life choices those options begin to narrow though plenty of scope remains if our life is reasonably successful. This analogy works too for those whose life options are less malleable as their circles sadly decrease more rapidly. The timing of change, the next circle is difficult to determine. We do not get a rehearsal in life so cannot go back and tweak the journey to our own prescription. Each circle is experienced anew with all its unpredictably, naivety, hope and expectation. Even as a young child the fact is that death will be the ultimate outcome even though we cannot imagine it unless misfortune intervenes. As adults we struggle to imagine it too and many have this sense of immortality because it can be intellectually challenging to imagine non-existence. We can do it logically but not through the senses. I find that the image of decreasing circles allows possibilities of moving on as well as restrictions. Sure the circles will reduce and each failure of treatment leads only one way. But on that way we can have lots of fulfilling times. I choose to enjoy my survival and not focus on the regret the decrease in my life circles might engender.

So after getting the news and letting people know and receiving some lovely and kind thoughts from my dear friends and family and especially on the forum I spent the day completing a project I have been working on for a few weeks now. I was inspired by one of the Man Booker shortlist books to sort out my disused and frankly depressing study to get it back in shape. The passage which influenced me was from Tom McCarthy's Satin Island.

I decided that I needed to recreate a space for me to get back to my writing. I had been too busy doing other things that I had ignored my novel. So after my onco meeting I went with my son and we collected my books from work, over 500 and I brought them home and we set about filling the bookcases, tidying, clearing and generally finishing a job we had started five or six weeks ago. The study in my house is now fully restored. I sat down and found myself almost feeling euphoric with this final effort and the result. The whole day had gone quickly and the ideas for the future use of the room had stayed uppermost in my mind. Each circle has possibilities if you seek them out even if they have boundaries!

Today could have been such a s*** day but I knew my circles would decrease and so that happened whilst another circle was opened. I can celebrate four years of survival and do not need to count the future time. It will take care of itself. The circles will continue to narrow and eventually end of life will be reached. I feel happy that i can understand this process without rancour or regret and be able for now to live with it and enjoy my life. I will enjoy Christmas and new year and look forward to trying to ensure that 2016 is not my last circle. After all it's just as feasible that the new drug will last a year or more and whatever is waiting in future circles will grant me more time. Nobody knows the pathway for certain as it is a once only journey but one I am happy to be on! Happy Christmas to all!

User
Posted 24 Dec 2015 at 11:40

Happy Christmas Paul and thank you for sharing

Bri

User
Posted 24 Dec 2015 at 12:22

A really great and inspirational post Paul.
Thanks for writing it.

My best Christmas wishes to you and everyone who uses this forum.

Batholith

User
Posted 24 Dec 2015 at 13:26

Merry Christmas to you and yours Paul.

You're like an Olympian, with all your circles linked to make a striking display of endurance and courage.

I like your thinking very much although I am sad for you that such thoughts are necessary.

Get on with that novel. I await it's publication with eager anticipation.

( I craft and I have spent the last several weeks putting my room straight, finding lots of bits and pieces that got mislaid (and don't tell John, but I secretly replaced thinking they were lost forever!!)
I too am tidy and organised now and it's been so long since the room looked like it now does that I keep going in there to admire it, I'm already planning my next lot of cards so I shall keep very busy with it all in the New Year.)

With best wishes to you for successful treatment for 2016

User
Posted 24 Dec 2015 at 13:43
Hi Yorkhull, superb post, good luck with the Enzo. I will follow your posts closely. Have a lovely Christmas
User
Posted 25 Dec 2015 at 00:14

Happy Christmas Paul x

User
Posted 25 Dec 2015 at 03:04
Merry Christmas Paul

Carol x

User
Posted 25 Dec 2015 at 03:44
Happy Xmas my friend, I am sure that there are a few more circles left in you!

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 07 Jan 2016 at 16:51

Well in the new year and have had some pain in the last week or so which has left me feeling a bit down. I have been resting so hoping it calms down and using pain killers too. Anyway I was awaiting a call for CT Scan as we had agreed it could be done after Xmas and that this week was a good one as I have been on leave. So when I did not get the call I finally rang them. As always the urology nurses are really helpful and they chased down the problem. Apparently when the request went in they did not have a sufficiently recent blood test for my kidney function etc but this simply means they reject the request but it does not get filtered back to the originators.

So had I not enquired what was happening and had the nurse not searched this out I would have waited beyond my next appointment with no scan. Been frustrating but at least my call has got them going. Blood test tomorrow and will personally book my CT Scan so I can get a convenient date and then assuming everything is ok move on to enzo.

If my pain is related to some activity in the bone mets then the quicker I can get onto this new drug the better. Another circle!

User
Posted 07 Jan 2016 at 17:01

Paul

Must be a quirk of CT departments, I had almost the same with my CT scan two years ago "insufficient clinical information" was the reason for the rejection but nobody was told, I eventually had my CT on the Friday and the op at 7.30 on the Monday.

Hope it all works out for you.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 07 Jan 2016 at 17:46

Hi Paul
I've chased all the way this last 12 months , sometimes maybe unnecessarily but mostly needed. I've found that if I'm extremely polite it works wonders with people. It's not normally an individual's fault or laziness , just a system that regularly breaks down. I'm glad you got it sorted though. Lots of appointments back up over Xmas and " post holiday blues" set in.
Wishing you success on the Enzo
Chris

User
Posted 07 Jan 2016 at 18:10

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I've chased all the way this last 12 months , sometimes maybe unnecessarily but mostly needed.

We never know what needed chasing if we don't chase everything. Sounds like damn good project management to me. http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

User
Posted 07 Jan 2016 at 18:54
Paul

It is such a crazy system that allows something to be "bounced" but doesn't actually tell the originator, and also allows the originator to just let it go apparently unanswered. A double faiure in my view. It all sounds sadly familiar.

Sent PM about pain control

xxx

Mo

User
Posted 07 Jan 2016 at 19:24
Hi Paul,

We always politely chase up scan dates.Hope you get date soon.

Paul, I admire how you deal with your cancer journey. Am sorry to hear it has become hormone resistant now. Hoping you get an effective response once you start the enzalutamide.

All the best to you.

Lesley

User
Posted 07 Jan 2016 at 22:24

Thanks Lesley your kind thoughts are much appreciated. To be fair as soon as I got in touch they acted very quickly, clearly upset that this had been 'lost'. If I can get it next week though not got as much available time it won't slow the move on, as move on we must!

User
Posted 07 Jan 2016 at 22:53

Sorry to hear the pain has flared up Paul. It sounds strange that recent blood tests are required for a scan....sure there must be a reason.
We shouldn't have to chase these things but unfortunately we find all too often we have to. Good job Tina and Co are very helpful

Take care

Bri