Show search

Notification

Error

PSA results and off to a Urologist

User
Posted 27 Feb 2016 at 11:14
Hi,

I'm new to this site.

Did the first 2 London to Amsterdam Charity Cycles, so go to be aware of Prostate Cancer.... Identified with a few symptons and just had 2 PSA readings of 3.6, then 3.5.....doctor has suggested we 'get the ball rolling' by seeing a urologist .

What normally happens from here?

Have a good day all,

Cheers,

Mark

User
Posted 27 Feb 2016 at 13:39

Hello Mark B and welcome to the site.

I am assuming that by "doctor" you are referring to a GP?
Next step is the Urologist who will give you a Digital Rectal Exam (DRE) which you may have already had from your GP.

Depending on what he feels, and thinks, he may arrange for an MRI and Biopsy, hopefully in that order otherwise the results can be skewed if the MRI is done afterwards and too soon.

Your PSA is pretty low (we have members with PSA in the hundreds and thousands) so has he checked you for an infection?

There is also the possibility of an enlarged prostate.

PSA is a good indicator but not a definitive result for Prostate Cancer

Assuming you're given a biopsy and the results show cancer then it will be "scored" on the Gleason scale which will tell the experts at a multi disciplinary team (MDT)  what kind of treatment is suitable for your stage.

Treatments range from Active surveillance (AS)  (ie doing nothing except monitoring you with regular PSA, MRI and occasional biopsy) then there is also the operation, Radio Therapy, Hormone Therapy etc. It just depends on how advanced your consultant thinks the cancer is. Not everyone can cope with AS and the thought of cancer inside them and want it out asap.

Whatever treatment you go for is likely to have side effects, not always permanent but there is no guarantee.  It seems from the members on this site that no two men will react to exactly the same treatment in the same way

If you go to Publications on this website there is a handy set of booklets regarding diagnosis, treatments available etc. called THE TOOLKIT . Ring one of the nurses to order a set.
They are very handy to have by you so that you have a reference for forming any questions you may want to ask the consultant.
Always take a notebook and pen with you or better still somebody else,  as two pairs of ears are better than one and threre may be a lot of information to take in.

One thing to avoid is panic, although you don't seem panicked !

With such a low PSA it may well be that if this is indeed Prostate Cancer then it is caught early and many options will be open to you. It isn't always the case but I think it's quite rare to have low PSA and aggressive cancer though we do have a member like that.

It's excellent that your Doctor is on the ball and being proactive on your behalf. Believe me, not all doctors are that helpful.

Any questions you have please ask. Somebody is bound to have practical experience of it.

I should perhaps warn you that among the fantastically helpful folk on this website,there are also wives and partners.

The one thing we all have in common is Prostate Cancer so we support each other to the best of our abilities.

Best Wishes for a great outcome. Somebody else will be along to add anything I may have left out

Sandra

Edited by member 27 Feb 2016 at 13:45  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 27 Feb 2016 at 15:31

Sandra has put it very well.

I would have expected your GP to have done tests to rule out a urinary infection though in a few cases it can be difficult to completely exclude this and sometimes requires various treatment with antibiotics. Then there are other reasons why PSA can be raised, an enlarged prostate (Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia BPH) or PIN which is a precancerous condition being some of them. If it is PCa, a low PSA on diagnosis usually means the cancer has been found at an early stage and hopefully treatment will be offered with curative intention.

An initial biopsy where given is usually a TRUS one where Prostate cores, often 8 to12, are taken through the rectum. Many men agree this is like being flicked with an elastic band. It stings for a short time and there can be a trace of blood in urine and semen for a couple or more days after the procedure. A course of antibiotics it routinely given to help combat any infection. Personally, I would rather have this done than have a tooth filled but some men find it more traumatic. There is another type of biopsy called a Transperineal template biopsy where more needles are inserted for cores to be taken using a grid and not through the rectum but this is more involved and often done with the patient anesthetized, so you would be made aware of this in advance.

If you have shown your true surname in your Profile, you may wish to edit it out as sometimes it can attract unwanted attention.

Do let us know how you get on.

PS. Well done with the Charity bike rides.

Edited by member 27 Feb 2016 at 15:32  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 27 Feb 2016 at 23:30

Thanks Sandra & Barry for your quick replies.

The GP did a DRE and suggested I had an enlarged prostate but said it was 'smooth', in his words this is normally a better sign.

Not has my urine tested, I don't really get up in the night, sometimes but not every night to pass water. Have been struggling with ED the last 2 months though.

Is this of any meaning?

User
Posted 28 Feb 2016 at 09:45

Normally when there is a raised PSA and the GP does a DRE he will comment that it feels "lumpy or irregular" so smooth sounds better than that.

It may well be that your problem is an enlarged prostate but you won't know until you've seen the urologist and had the tests.

ED can be caused by a number of things not necessarily cancer. 55 isn't old by any manner of means but you're not 25 any more either are you and sometimes age can be a hindrance.

The other thing I would point out, is that you say you have done two charity cycle rides so presumably you cycle on a regular basis.
How close to your blood test was the last cycle ride? I think there is a possibility that cycling can raise a PSA although I don't think that has been catagorically proven yet but might be worth putting into the equation.

It's very early days for you and if indeed this is cancer, and it is contained within the prostate, then you are one of the "lucky" ones.

Let's hope you are even luckier eh, and that it is something like an enlarged prostate.

Edited by member 28 Feb 2016 at 09:46  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 28 Feb 2016 at 10:23

I do spin twice a week too but avoided the classes for a week before each test.......
Yes, not 25 anymore (sadly) but starting to realise that as we get older and our heads get together our bodies can start to fall apart!!
I've also had sleep Apnea, which can cause ED, I'm finding the more I try to find out about this, the more complex it can be.
My Dad had PC 25 years ago, had an operation which knocked him for six but he's alive & very healthy today.
Time will tell but thanks again for your replies, they all help, in this world we are never along in anything and community help like this is great to have.