Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Blood in Dads Urine 3 years after Prostate removal

User
Posted 24 Mar 2016 at 08:01

HI, Wondering if anyone can help. 

Dad had prostate cancer and was left with a 'positive margin' after the surgery but PSA remains 0.02 which they say is very good.  In the last 3 weeks he was urinating more and it was stinging.  He went to the doctors who said there was blood in his urine (as he hadn't noticed) and put him on antibiotics.  He went back a week later and he changed the antibiotics.  My Dad said the symptoms are still there but better than they originally were.  He went back to the doctors yesterday who said there is still blood in the urine and referred him to oncology for bladder cancer. 

Any advise please?  Praying its not that........

User
Posted 24 Mar 2016 at 10:38

Bladder cancer doesn't usually cause stinging so hopefully the GP is just being cautious. More likely to be a persistent infection that might need one of the less common antibiotics.

Re the blood that dad didn't notice. Blood in the urine is not always visible and red as you might imagine, it can only be picked up by the doctor testing it.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Mar 2016 at 11:06

Thanks so much for your reply. Its all very worrying, just want the appointment now so we don't have this hanging over our heads.