I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Swollen balls.

User
Posted 18 Apr 2016 at 19:54

I'm now into my 9th week post op, and the usual post op swelling has resolved. However I have had pain and swelling, consistently worse than before, at the left testicle, since the op. As if ED wasn't bad enough, I am very reluctant to let my partner anywhere near the tender area.

Last week, at post op follow up,  it was a challenge to get my consultant to take the matter seriously. Eventually he gave  'You have had testicular surgery in the past and there is some scarring, you have cysts on your epididymis and the surgery may have affected this, wear supportive underwear' He had noted I was already doing this, but it took another 3 restatements by me of the effect it was having on my sleep patterns, sitting and walking, return to work, sex life etc before he suggested I could have the epididymis removed surgically. He will refer me back to me GP and the GP will then refer to a Urologist here in Wales since the prostate consultant seems to feel he has done his bit.

Now I understand that many men of prostate cancer age have epididymal cysts. If they are not very active, it may be that wearing supportive underwear is sufficient. I also understand that inflammation of the epididymis is regularly noted after prostatectomy and may  be managed with antibiotics - and supportive underwear! I can also surmise that the oft quoted ' after surgery your sperm have nowhere to go so die and are reabsorbed' probably means the sperm hit the roadworks along the vas deferens, which is now a dead end, and back up causing swelling. I guess the body readjusts and shuts down sperm/ fluid production at the testicle.

So I have 2 main questions

1. After the  prostatectomy and initial recovery, did anyone else have a new pain, specifically testicular and vas deferens ( where the front of the groin joins the scrotum)? What happens and how was it managed?

2. Did anyone have an epididymectomy ( removal of th epididymis) because of this pain. Did it work?

User
Posted 18 Apr 2016 at 21:11

Hi Walnut,
Sorry to hear about your pain and about the surgeon failing to listen and take seriously what you re saying.
Things getting in the way of sex make all this experience much worse.
God knows what happens to sperm post prostatectomy! I have often wondered.
Your surgeon has dived in with a suggested surgical treatment because he is a surgeon. I think it would be good to go to the GP. If not done already, I would think they might want to investigate you for an infection somewhere down there first, and if you have one you may need antibiotics.
Someone should also make sure you have pain killers to limit discomfort and help sleep.
I hope you can find something that helps.
All the best,
Henry

User
Posted 18 Apr 2016 at 21:22

I cannot describe the pain my testicles were in post-op for upto 5 months. No swelling , no bruising but excruciating. Bathing and showering was a very very delicate procedure indeed. I had already had a vasectomy a year before the op. It is major surgery and you have to give it time , however having said that I am still suffering with so much bladder pain 10 months on that I am being re-referred to Urology after a PET scan

User
Posted 19 Apr 2016 at 00:16

In all the years I have been on here, I can't think of anyone that has ever posted that they developed epididymal cysts and, apart from Chris, I can only think of 3 or 4 members that have complained of serious scrotal pain so long after the op.

As you say, the shooting pain & inflammation is a common after-effect of vasectomy but on a recent rough straw poll of members, a significant proportion on here had their vasectomies long prior to diagnosis so are unlikely to experience the problem a second time. In fact, an awful lot of men on here are unaware that the RP will include 'having the snip' - I don't think urologists always explain it and it isn't mentioned in the toolkit.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard