Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

New guy

User
Posted 21 Sep 2016 at 17:07

Hi,

Just been diagnosed today. All the anxiety over the last 2 months, with raised PSA (5) & inconclusive MRI results, is behind me now that Prostate Cancer has been confirmed. I now need to deal with new anxiety of coping with Prostate Cancer & I'm sure this forum will be an excellent tool.

I'm 63, reasonably fit, married with a great family & I have localised prostate cancer with a Gleason score 3+3. My Father died from the disease 19 years ago due to not acting on the symptoms & I could have gone the same way had it not been for a routine blood test for something probably unrelated. I regard myself as very fortunate that it's been found early with a 'low' Gleason score & hope I've got many years left.

I'm probably going to have a prostatectomy sometime in the next few months so any advice, support from the forum will be greatly appreciated.

All the best

Nick

User
Posted 22 Sep 2016 at 06:26

Hi,
As far as I'm aware it's stage 1 & T2 N0 M0, and with a gleason score 3+3 so I'm very fortunate that it's been found this early.I need see the surgeon in a couple of weeks so should find out more. I've opted for surgery as I just want to get rid of it but am quite anxious about the after effects, particularly possible incontinence.
All the best
Nick

User
Posted 22 Sep 2016 at 06:57

hi nick

still remember the day I was told so we all understand everything you may be dealing with

am sure other members who have had a similar score will advise you on how they have dealt with any surgery, its certainly something you need to be sure is the right one for YOU.

you don't say much in your profile but am guessing you have family, always take someone with on DR/hospital visits

regards

nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 22 Sep 2016 at 07:39

Welcome tot he site Nick.

I know you feel that surgery will suit you but have you checked out any other options. Obviously you will discount Active Surveillance as you want rid of the b****r. If you look at the Toolkit available from publications it may give you other options.

Even if they don't appeal, then the Toolkit may help you form questions to ask your consultant when you see him.

No two men are guaranteed to have the same side effects, long term or otherwise, from the same treatment. All we can do is tell you what it was like for us (in my case my husband).

PSA of 5 Gleason 3+3 is good! Should give you other good options as well as surgery.

Now that you have your confirmation your new outlook on life begins and so does your new "normal"

With a loving supportive family you will get through this, especially with us behind you to!

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 22 Sep 2016 at 07:57
Hi Nick,

You have very similar stats to mine.. check out my profile for more info'

I have also sent you a private message.

Good luck with whatever treatment you choose.

KRO...

Edited by member 22 Sep 2016 at 08:04  | Reason: Not specified