I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Surprised Enlarge Prostate results

User
Posted 15 Nov 2016 at 21:05

Returned from cystoscopy last Wednesday to investigate a groin pain. During the investigation the doctor discovered that I had an enlarged prostate and show me on the display. I guess this helps resolve the issue with passing urine, difficulty starting to urinate, no pressure, dribbling urine and urinating numerous times throughout the night. Was a little surprised when prostate was mentioned, having lost my father 8 years ago to cancer (primary cancer unknown) his brother 3 days apart to cancer (primary cancer unknown) and their father my grandfather to cancer (bowel or prostate unsure) cancer is always in the back of my mind and regularly have an MOT to keep abreast of the any concerns.

Have been told that I have to wait 6 weeks until a blood test can be done as the cystoscopy will have had an effect on the blood test and it needs time to settle. Im concerned I've just turned 45 and have 3 kids, Im not spending the days worry what might be, as Im spending more time worry about wetting myself while travelling to an from work.

I'd obviously like to get all examinations done ASAP so that I can get some medication to sort out enlargement and continue eating and training to keep healthy. 

There is obviously history within my family, doctors often refuse to make any links with cancer being hereditary or genetic, has anyone here had any other family members that have suffered from a similar illness.

Look forward to hearing from you 

Lee

User
Posted 16 Nov 2016 at 09:20

Just to say hello and welcome Lee and to bump your post in case it gets lost further down the list.

I'm sure you'll get helpful information from our more knowledgeable members

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 16 Nov 2016 at 09:39

Welcome, sorry you are here.

If you look at my Bio, it was my family history that encouraged me to get checked. My father and his brother both died of it, and the male line is littered with unspecified cancers. My GP was very supportive once I had made the decision. But was reluctant as he felt that PSA tests increase anxiety.

Its the waiting I find most difficult, a lot off it in this process.

Good luck.
Nigel

User
Posted 16 Nov 2016 at 09:57
Lee

My estranged father died of prostate cancer aged 81, I was diagnosed at 62, my brother who is two years older has a very low PSA and no cancer. So although the family connection is possible it is not definite. There is sometimes talk of environmental influences, I lived 80 miles away from my father for thirty years and my brother was 12000 miles away from us both for Forty years.

Hope all turns out well for you and stay positive.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 16 Nov 2016 at 10:14

There are different kinds of prostate cancer and about 10% are genetic. Generally if you have close family members that were diagnosed with prostate cancer when young -and / or close female relatives who have had breast cancer - then your risk is much higher. The next biggest risk factor is being male - 60% of men in their 60s and 70% of men in their 70s will have some cancer in their prostate although not all are diagnosed and 2/3rds of all diagnosed men die of something else.

The youngest diagnosed member we have on this forum is 31 and sadly we are getting more and more joining in their 40s. It is right that you need to wait a few weeks to have the next set of tests - no point experiencing undue concern if a high result is simply down to the cystoscopy. But whatever the outcome in a few weeks time you are now aware and will ensure you are closely monitored in future.

As an aside, my husband had all the problems you describe from age 35 and was diagnosed with a bladder sphincter problem. We are assured that was completely unrelated to the cancer he was diagnosed with at age 50.

You could look at your dad's death certificate to see if adenocarcinoma is mentioned?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Nov 2016 at 20:12

I started with urination problems 10 years ago (mid 40's) which have got progressively worse and last year I had a PSA test (8.9), a TRUS biposy (clear with high grade PIN in one core), follow up PSA test (14.7), MRI (2 - probably not cancer), template biopsy (again clear but prostatitis), follow up PSA test (15.8), now on Finasteride to reduce size of prostate which is 60cc (double normal size). So at age 56 with a PSA of 15.8 and having had 18 months of worry, I am now pretty sure I just have BPH and prostatitis and I have decide to just get on with it and not think about it anymore. You have every reason to be worried, but enlarged prostate and high PSA does not always mean cancer, so try not to worry too much and hope for the best

User
Posted 24 Nov 2016 at 23:33

Afro Caribbean men are also at greater risk and there are other possible cancer triggers in addition to those mentioned already. Notwithstanding one brother may have PCa increasing the risk that his brother may be affected, it does not follow that this will prove to be the case. Nevertheless still worth the undiagnosed brother getting his PSA checked.

Barry