I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

no dexa scan

User
Posted 30 Nov 2016 at 18:29

hi,while i was on zoladex ,i asked my gp if i could have a dexa scan for my bones,because my back was aching every now and then,i was coming up to about  2yrs on zolodex,he said i havent been on it long enough,anyway i had my last jab of ht 4th april 2016 thats just over 2yrs on ht,and my psa was undetectable,my oncologists idea to stop it,i was supposed to be on it 3yrs. anyway i have just had my 6month review with urologist psa still ok,i asked him for a dexa scan he said no because i have stopped ht,i was led to believe ht will be still working for a long time even after finishing ht,us small guys are more prone to osteoporosis,the middle of my back still aches,any thoughts please.

User
Posted 30 Nov 2016 at 20:06

Hi Radar, I don't know what to say to you about the de a scan - it certainly seems your health team is reluctant for you to have one (I assume they are very expensive)

HT is not particularly well known for carrying on working after you stop taking it. That is why it is so important that men have their injections exactly 3 months /12 weeks apart or 1 month /4 weeks apart (depending which one you are on). It is radiotherapy that carries on working after it is finished.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Nov 2016 at 20:12

The other thing is that you were given RT with HT so they were aiming to cure you - you might find that you never need to go back on the hormones :-). You said the PSA is still okay - what was the actual number?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 30 Nov 2016 at 21:36

thanks lyn,the urologist did not say what my psa was he just said undetectable,he did not know that my last ht jab was 11th april,but said dont be surprised that your psa rises with stopping ht,i give up with dexa scan,i try and keep my bones strong with light weight training and 5000iu vit d&k2.cheers.

User
Posted 30 Nov 2016 at 21:52

undetectable is very good news.

Is there some confusion in that HT side effects can last many months after it ends which can be taken as HT is still working yet testosterone is actually increasing which will help stop any further bone lose?

Ray

Edited by member 30 Nov 2016 at 21:53  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Nov 2016 at 22:20
Prior to my last Prostap injection in November 2015 the oncologist arranged a dexa scan for me, when I saw her in January 2016 it showed a slight thinning of my bones. She prescribed Adcal D3 for me. My next appointment is on Thursday 1st December, I'll be interested to see if she arranges another scan or keeps me on the tablets.

Arthur

User
Posted 30 Nov 2016 at 23:01
Thanks. I am high risk so I can't see me been off ht for long. Before i was dx i was on testosterone for 6yrs so my own testosterone will be shut down.cheers.
User
Posted 01 Dec 2016 at 13:33

hi,just been talking to macmillan nurse regarding dexa scan she said to ask my gp,and she said my psa is still good since finishing ht , july 4th 2016,and that my psa is 0.05.cheers.

User
Posted 01 Dec 2016 at 16:33
Hi

We discussed this with our oncologist, my husband has been having prostap three monthly for five years plus a Dalit bicalutamide tablet. But, she said that it was not normal practice for someone undergoing that particular treatment. I also mentioned that he waxtaking calcium tablets plus vitamin d3 to help his bones and she said that it was a good idea.

He does have aches and pains in his bones but he puts it down to old age! His bone scans are clear so we must be doing something right although his PSA is creeping up