Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Nausea After Surgery

User
Posted 22 Feb 2017 at 09:42

Hi all,

Thank you in advance to offering replies to my query. This is my first time posting on here after lingering around and taking on board everyone's advice.

My dad was dianosed with prostate cancer a few weeks ago and had an open prostectomy on Monday evening (it's now Wednesday morning.) He's still in hospital now but is having a lot of trouble with nausea. Although he has pain, it seems to be a woozy feeling he gets whenever he tries to stand. I don't know if this is the anaesthetic still or maybe the morphine? He stopped taking the morphine this morning. Yesterday he had soup and yoghurt so hoping he will eat more today. My dad is 55 and pretty fit and this has really knocked him for six. He was expecting it to be bad but not this bad he says. He really is struggling to move around even when repositioning on the bed.

Just after some encouraging words to show him later really - that it will ease and get better.

Thanks in advance

B

User
Posted 22 Feb 2017 at 10:20

Oh dear. He has had major surgery and it is going to take some time to heal. He is still in the very early days.
As a woman I clearly haven't had this surgery but I have had two c-sections where they cut into your abdomen. My understanding is that open prostate surgery is more invasive than a c-section and 3 days after my surgery I was still in a lot of pain just shifting position in bed. If I sneezed I had to physically hold the scar as it felt like it was going to pop open. I would say it took about 2 weeks to be able to move freely and some pain still for a couple more weeks.
Make sure the nurses show him how to sit up. I.e. roll onto his side and use arms to push up into a sitting position. Also stay on top of the pain meds don't wait until it gets bad before taking more.
Finally did he lose a lot of blood? Is his blood pressure ok and what about iron levels. If these are not right could make him feel dizzy as he stands up.
Wishing him a speedy recovery.

User
Posted 22 Feb 2017 at 10:41

Morphine does cause nausea (my OH has been knocked for six while taking it) and so does the anesthetic for the op. So hopefully each day will be a little better as the drugs leave his system. But do ask the nurses/consultant - it might be that an antacid will help him with the trapped wind in the meantime. Also, we were told to eat little and often which seems to help.

Do hope he's feeling stronger soon.

Best wishes

Eleanor

User
Posted 22 Feb 2017 at 12:01
Hi B

Hopefully he is up and feeling a lot better today.

I had da vinci . So can't directly compare.

I was physically sick when I had just water and as if the stomach didn't want anything. . However once that over I was eating small easy portions and up and about on ward and home next day..

My wife has had severe reactions to aesthetics years back and notes on med. file. However I don't know exact name of drugs used. So any pre med I need to ensure all bases are covered. .she's penicillin allergic also. Thankfully she very fit and well.

Just make sure with dad he's improving, it's a major op. Low BP. etc will give whoozy. . its a difficult one as obviously very strong drugs used and inter reactions.

Gordon

User
Posted 22 Feb 2017 at 15:34

BS

Like Gordon I had Da Vinci so not a direct comparison, I was given tramadol and they made me sick. I was then given an anti sickness tablet that was very effective.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 22 Feb 2017 at 17:16
Hi B

Very similar dx to myself. All on my profile

Yes agree. Very odd feeling when going into a major op. When don't feel at all unwell.

Tell him basically take it steady yet keep active .. ie don't sit around .

Took me 2 weeks to tie my own shoe laces !

Keep basic water throughput and don't let him get constipated.. no joke.

Take meds. To get bowel active. I think the drugs had a major impact on mine. Lol

Gordon

User
Posted 22 Feb 2017 at 22:12
Bluebell

I had da Vinci and not open. I'm 46. I couldn't even sit on the chair beside my bed without feeling seriously faint. The night after my operation I decided that I was well enough to take a short walk. I completely passed out. Now, I laugh about it but at the time it wasn't funny. It just passed with time. Hopefully your dad will waken up one morning and just feel loads better - that's the way it happened with me.

Ulsterman

User
Posted 22 Feb 2017 at 23:09
Hi B

I realise now that there are 3 types of open. I assumed probably incorrectly it was via the abdomen.

As mine was keyhole. I had no medication after 24hrs at all other than fragmin. For anti dvt. Post op.

Practically zero pain. A drain was removed after 6 hrs post op.

Obviously a catheter for at least 7 days.

I know my dad had perineal open in 1976 and he was over a week in hospital. The thought of that route did make my eyes water.

I don't know what is offered or preferred these days. Once off drugs I'm sure he will improve dramatically; hospital isn't the best place to get a good sleep either.

Gordon

Edited by member 22 Feb 2017 at 23:10  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Feb 2017 at 09:36
Hi B

Arrr. I realise and can emphasise even more now. I have appendectomy 25 yrs ago. Hosp week. Staples on wound. A lot of pain and difficult to sit and walk for some time. I was expecting similar re. Prostectomy.

However so different re. Da vinci. 6 incisions just glued each about 0.5 inch.

He sounds his doing fine. All down to skill and experience of surgeon as long term outcomes very similar. Send my best wishes.

Gordon

User
Posted 23 Feb 2017 at 20:17
Hi B, I had open rp a year ago aged 54, I too suffered from nausea but my appetite slowly recovered over a couple of weeks. I think a combination of anesthesia, morphine, diamorphine, tramadol and paracetamol all contributed to this. It is a long process to recovery particularly with open surgery but it will get better,get some gentle exercise and try not to overdo it in the early days (a compromise I found very difficult).

All the best to you and your dad.

Cheers AL

User
Posted 23 Feb 2017 at 20:42

It's a big old scar for open RP - John's is about 4.5 inches. Plus they cut through the stomach muscles so turning, rising and laying back are all very difficult for a while. Make no mistake, the general advice is that it will take 10 - 12 weeks to recover and get back to normal ... John was 50, still playing rugby etc and he needed the full 12 weeks (he was doing emails etc from home before that but the insurance company wouldn't cover him to drive and he certainly couldn't have lifted anything or gone to the gym).

Bluebell, he has also had a vasectomy even if he wasn't told that. If he had a vasectomy when he was younger he may still remember how painful that is for a while - John's testicles were HUGE for a couple of weeks. Dad should wear proper pants rather than boxers when he comes out of hospital if he is hurting there, boxers don't give enough support.

Some people have a very extreme reaction to anaesthetic, fortunately John and I both seem to breeze through!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Feb 2017 at 22:28

Hey Bluebell that is great news.
My husband had robotic RP but he was also very worried by the blood in his urine. It did largely clear up by day 7 or 8 unless he over did it. Yesterday, day 10, he walked about 3 miles and had some blood after but stopped after a couple of hours rest.
Catheter out today and so far been completely dry.😀

User
Posted 24 Feb 2017 at 20:21

We had this pattern of red overnight and clear daytime. We wondered if it was because he had the blood thinning injection in the evening.

User
Posted 27 Feb 2017 at 15:42

Bluebell

Glad your dad is feeling better and more positive.

Catheter removal and staple removal really was no hassle for me.  It didn't hurt at all.  I know we are all individuals, but he has no reason to be worried.  

I had a lot of blood in my urine whilst the catheter was in and even had to go to A&E one evening.  I was concerned, but the urologists weren't.  I think the catheter was the worst part of this whole thing thus far and life gets much better without it, even if you do have a bit of a fight with incontinence.

Ulsterman

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 22 Feb 2017 at 10:20

Oh dear. He has had major surgery and it is going to take some time to heal. He is still in the very early days.
As a woman I clearly haven't had this surgery but I have had two c-sections where they cut into your abdomen. My understanding is that open prostate surgery is more invasive than a c-section and 3 days after my surgery I was still in a lot of pain just shifting position in bed. If I sneezed I had to physically hold the scar as it felt like it was going to pop open. I would say it took about 2 weeks to be able to move freely and some pain still for a couple more weeks.
Make sure the nurses show him how to sit up. I.e. roll onto his side and use arms to push up into a sitting position. Also stay on top of the pain meds don't wait until it gets bad before taking more.
Finally did he lose a lot of blood? Is his blood pressure ok and what about iron levels. If these are not right could make him feel dizzy as he stands up.
Wishing him a speedy recovery.

User
Posted 22 Feb 2017 at 10:30

Thank you so much for your reply.
I will definitely ensure that he rolls into his side to lift himself up on the bed - I think the nurses showed him but he hasn't done it. I think he is just overwhelmed at the moment.

Also peppermint tea was recommended for both the nausea and trapped gas he says is causing him pain. I'm going to get him some of that today.

My dad has sarcoidosis as well but hasn't had a flare up in two years. His platelets came back just a little low on a post op blood test so they are checking that again today.

Thank you for your encouraging words.

Edited by member 22 Feb 2017 at 10:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Feb 2017 at 10:41

Morphine does cause nausea (my OH has been knocked for six while taking it) and so does the anesthetic for the op. So hopefully each day will be a little better as the drugs leave his system. But do ask the nurses/consultant - it might be that an antacid will help him with the trapped wind in the meantime. Also, we were told to eat little and often which seems to help.

Do hope he's feeling stronger soon.

Best wishes

Eleanor

User
Posted 22 Feb 2017 at 12:01
Hi B

Hopefully he is up and feeling a lot better today.

I had da vinci . So can't directly compare.

I was physically sick when I had just water and as if the stomach didn't want anything. . However once that over I was eating small easy portions and up and about on ward and home next day..

My wife has had severe reactions to aesthetics years back and notes on med. file. However I don't know exact name of drugs used. So any pre med I need to ensure all bases are covered. .she's penicillin allergic also. Thankfully she very fit and well.

Just make sure with dad he's improving, it's a major op. Low BP. etc will give whoozy. . its a difficult one as obviously very strong drugs used and inter reactions.

Gordon

User
Posted 22 Feb 2017 at 12:12
Thanks all.

My mum is with him and I chatted with her earlier. I'll visit later today. He has had a very short walk and been up and down the stairs. He ate breakfast and is sleeping a bit now.

He is just feeling very low and very overwhelmed. He had no symptoms and was fit and well. But with a PSA of 10 and a Gleason of 7, both lobes, he elected to remove the prostate quickly. Just seems crazy you get more poorly to make you better. I hope that makes sense. I know he will recover - and it's very very early days post op. Not even 48 hours yet.

Thanks again.

User
Posted 22 Feb 2017 at 15:34

BS

Like Gordon I had Da Vinci so not a direct comparison, I was given tramadol and they made me sick. I was then given an anti sickness tablet that was very effective.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 22 Feb 2017 at 17:16
Hi B

Very similar dx to myself. All on my profile

Yes agree. Very odd feeling when going into a major op. When don't feel at all unwell.

Tell him basically take it steady yet keep active .. ie don't sit around .

Took me 2 weeks to tie my own shoe laces !

Keep basic water throughput and don't let him get constipated.. no joke.

Take meds. To get bowel active. I think the drugs had a major impact on mine. Lol

Gordon

User
Posted 22 Feb 2017 at 20:27

Thank you for your responses. Just got back from visiting dad and he's very low today. Morphine made him hallucinate and tramadol made him nauseous so I think the fact the pain relief is almost making him feel worse is getting him tearful. His pain is mostly in his bottom and the actual wound feels like a bruise and pulling.

The consultant said he was pleased with his progress though. And he also said he is not surprised dad feels so down. Psychologically it's tough and along with the anaesthetic and drugs it's not a good mix. He has gone up and down stairs and walked a bit, he's also eating a bit more. I'm very proud of him.

Hopefully tonight he can sleep a little more. And tomorrow is a new day!

User
Posted 22 Feb 2017 at 22:12
Bluebell

I had da Vinci and not open. I'm 46. I couldn't even sit on the chair beside my bed without feeling seriously faint. The night after my operation I decided that I was well enough to take a short walk. I completely passed out. Now, I laugh about it but at the time it wasn't funny. It just passed with time. Hopefully your dad will waken up one morning and just feel loads better - that's the way it happened with me.

Ulsterman

User
Posted 22 Feb 2017 at 23:09
Hi B

I realise now that there are 3 types of open. I assumed probably incorrectly it was via the abdomen.

As mine was keyhole. I had no medication after 24hrs at all other than fragmin. For anti dvt. Post op.

Practically zero pain. A drain was removed after 6 hrs post op.

Obviously a catheter for at least 7 days.

I know my dad had perineal open in 1976 and he was over a week in hospital. The thought of that route did make my eyes water.

I don't know what is offered or preferred these days. Once off drugs I'm sure he will improve dramatically; hospital isn't the best place to get a good sleep either.

Gordon

Edited by member 22 Feb 2017 at 23:10  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Feb 2017 at 09:03

Quick text from my dad this morning and his feeling a lot better. Think the medication and anaesthetic may have finally cleared his system. His pain is much better too. Last night he had a diclofenic suppository - not the most dignified way of taking a painkiller but it seems to have worked. He had this with gabapentin to help relax him. The morphine was giving too many side effects. The nurses were so kind and helpful trying to find something that worked for dad.

I've just told him not to get to ahead of himself and to take it slowly. He is going to walk a little and sit in his chair to eat today and we'll see how we go.

@robgsr I didn't know there were three types of open surgery. My dad did have open through the abdomen. Four or five inch incision. He's getting the dressing changed today so I don't think that will be a very pleasant experience. They were going to do it yesterday but he felt too sick.

@Ulsterman I think my dad woke up this morning feeling loads better. My dad will read this and realise he's not on his own in how he has been feeling.

Thanks again for the responses. I will show this to my dad when I see him later today.

User
Posted 23 Feb 2017 at 09:36
Hi B

Arrr. I realise and can emphasise even more now. I have appendectomy 25 yrs ago. Hosp week. Staples on wound. A lot of pain and difficult to sit and walk for some time. I was expecting similar re. Prostectomy.

However so different re. Da vinci. 6 incisions just glued each about 0.5 inch.

He sounds his doing fine. All down to skill and experience of surgeon as long term outcomes very similar. Send my best wishes.

Gordon

User
Posted 23 Feb 2017 at 20:17
Hi B, I had open rp a year ago aged 54, I too suffered from nausea but my appetite slowly recovered over a couple of weeks. I think a combination of anesthesia, morphine, diamorphine, tramadol and paracetamol all contributed to this. It is a long process to recovery particularly with open surgery but it will get better,get some gentle exercise and try not to overdo it in the early days (a compromise I found very difficult).

All the best to you and your dad.

Cheers AL

User
Posted 23 Feb 2017 at 20:42

It's a big old scar for open RP - John's is about 4.5 inches. Plus they cut through the stomach muscles so turning, rising and laying back are all very difficult for a while. Make no mistake, the general advice is that it will take 10 - 12 weeks to recover and get back to normal ... John was 50, still playing rugby etc and he needed the full 12 weeks (he was doing emails etc from home before that but the insurance company wouldn't cover him to drive and he certainly couldn't have lifted anything or gone to the gym).

Bluebell, he has also had a vasectomy even if he wasn't told that. If he had a vasectomy when he was younger he may still remember how painful that is for a while - John's testicles were HUGE for a couple of weeks. Dad should wear proper pants rather than boxers when he comes out of hospital if he is hurting there, boxers don't give enough support.

Some people have a very extreme reaction to anaesthetic, fortunately John and I both seem to breeze through!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 23 Feb 2017 at 22:14

What a difference a day makes. Dad text me to say he was feeling better but I wasn't expecting to see just how much better. His pain was bearable, no wooziness and although the nausea hadn't disappeared, it was only brought on by walking. And this was only when he walked further than he should.

He was so much better he came home this evening. By no means has the pain gone (it's mainly in his bottom still) but he is smiling, joking, talking and taking things more in his stride. He has a wealth of painkillers with him although he's now managing on paracetamol for the time being. His consultant said a day like yesterday (teary and very down along with pain and nausea) is not necessarily the surgery but the lingering effects of the drugs, anaesthetic and simply being overwhelmed by it all.

Dad is a bit of a worrier. In the mornings his urine crimson but the nurses have reassured him that this is ok so soon after the operation. In the day it ranges from clear to darker urine, depending on how much water he has had to drink. We will just keep an eye on it at home now.

Dad is 58. He walks 6 miles a day, Has an active job and hikes. He went into hospital 72 hours ago with no symptoms and has returned home feeling rubbish and realising that recovery might take some time. Short term pain for long term gain the consultant said. Just hoping that progress continues however slowly that may be.

User
Posted 23 Feb 2017 at 22:28

Hey Bluebell that is great news.
My husband had robotic RP but he was also very worried by the blood in his urine. It did largely clear up by day 7 or 8 unless he over did it. Yesterday, day 10, he walked about 3 miles and had some blood after but stopped after a couple of hours rest.
Catheter out today and so far been completely dry.😀

User
Posted 24 Feb 2017 at 16:11

Visited dad at home today and he's doing ok. He feels really rotten in the mornings and still has a bit of nausea when first getting out of bed. He's sleeping in chunks of two hours at night but does get back to sleep. The big bag in the morning is red but then urine looks normal throughout the day. Not a hint of blood. It's becoming a pattern now. Any idea why this is? Is it because he's not drinking when he's asleep? It is only red overnight seemingly and dad wakes up to it. Maybe that doesn't help with the nausea!

Nevertheless he is getting himself up l, having a wash, getting dressed and sitting watching tv. He's still eating light but well and keeping hydrated. Pain was a tad worse today but he is managing it well I think. He gets up every couple of hours just to walk around downstairs for a minute. Mum is looking after him well but she also looks tired.

He is having cat naps throughout the day. I've just given him loads of dvds to watch so he doesn't have to endure daytime tv! Ha!

User
Posted 24 Feb 2017 at 20:21

We had this pattern of red overnight and clear daytime. We wondered if it was because he had the blood thinning injection in the evening.

User
Posted 26 Feb 2017 at 18:33

So my partner and I went to see dad today and I am so chuffed for him. He's up and down the stairs, walking around the house and eating healthily.

He's not pain free but has a good pain management routine now. Still feels a tad rough in the mornings, urine is still red (only on waking/overnight) and is sleeping when he needs.

Appointment for catheter removal and to have staples removed came through - Dad is nervous but realises he is (hopefully) through the worst.

User
Posted 27 Feb 2017 at 15:42

Bluebell

Glad your dad is feeling better and more positive.

Catheter removal and staple removal really was no hassle for me.  It didn't hurt at all.  I know we are all individuals, but he has no reason to be worried.  

I had a lot of blood in my urine whilst the catheter was in and even had to go to A&E one evening.  I was concerned, but the urologists weren't.  I think the catheter was the worst part of this whole thing thus far and life gets much better without it, even if you do have a bit of a fight with incontinence.

Ulsterman