I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

new Small cell prostate cancer

User
Posted 02 Mar 2017 at 02:23

Hi everyone i am new here and my 84 year old father was recently diagnosed with small cell prostate cancer , which from my understanding it is a very rare and aggressive cancer :-(  i am heartbroken and don't know what to expect !! i don;t know if he should go for Chemo treatment or is that just going to kill him before the cancer ? 

he is alone and has no one , i am the only care giver as my brother is not very helpful and at the moment as a blessing in disguise i am unemployed. 

Any words of wisdom or experiences would be so so very appreciated. 

Tanks

User
Posted 02 Mar 2017 at 10:29
I'm sorry to read this. I don't have any experience of this but I'm sure someone else with more knowledge will come along soon.

Also if you type small cell in the search box at the top previous posts should come up and give you something to read in the meantime.

Julie

User
Posted 02 Mar 2017 at 13:16

Thank you so much for your message. I am having a hard time finding the thread here but i will keep trying. 

User
Posted 02 Mar 2017 at 13:41

Hi torehb,the problem with small cell is that normal treatments don't work very well - for example, most prostate cancers need testosterone to survive so hormone treatment to stop testosterone production tends to be quite successful. But small cell PCa doesn't respond to hormones very well. The best line of defence is chemo, if he can cope with it. My father-in-law was a little younger when he had chemo (I think he was 80) but he didn't really have any problems with it apart from a horrible taste in his mouth and not being allowed to go to the pub in case he got a bug. Have they already ruled out radiotherapy? Has it spread outside the prostate? Here is what you should have found through the search function - some specific threads but also all posts where small cell has been mentioned:- http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/search?query=small+cell+cancer&advanced=false#refine-results-panel

Edited by member 02 Mar 2017 at 13:42  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Mar 2017 at 13:46

Lyn thank you so much for your reply. 

yes it has spread outside because for the past 6 months they were treating it with hormone therapy since my father refused to do a biopsy he was so afraid. But we finally had to do TURP surgery cause he could not urinate and during that procedure they got a sample and found out it was small cell prostate cancer :-( I am heart broken and he is scared.  He always said he does not want to have Chemo but now i think he is scared to die and is open to it. I just want to make sure he had quality and if going through Chemo means he will be bed written and in pain then i don't know if i want him to do this? but i think it should be his choice. 

I am so thankful to have found this site even if i live in the United states it helps to hear from people here. 

thank you again Lyn.xoxo

User
Posted 02 Mar 2017 at 14:09

Good lord! I don't think chemo would leave him bedridden ... some men on here have continued working right through it (although they weren't 84). And dying of prostate cancer is probably more painful than the side effects of chemo although both should be made bearable by good use of pain relief.

If he goes for one or two chemo sessions and finds it too difficult, he can presumably stop and who knows, that little bit of chemo might just slow it down a bit.

Have they done scans to see where the spread is? Can you tell us? Small cell sometimes goes to lungs, brain or liver rather than bone or lymph nodes, and that makes a big difference to how he might get on.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Mar 2017 at 14:15

LynEyre,
the scans show bone mostly the last one said some spots on live but they can not confirm. I thought the same that we can do some chemo and see how he responds. But my father is very sensitive and thinks all these treatments will kill him. and you know how mental frame of mind can make or break your treatment.
Any way i really hope for the best but expecting the worst :-((( so so sad and crying daily when he is not around just to be strong in from of him.

User
Posted 02 Apr 2017 at 16:35

Lyn , 

It has spread to bone and lymph nodes last scan showed no liver or brain. 

User
Posted 25 May 2017 at 08:18

Hiya
How is your Dad doing now? Did you go for the chemo?
My husband is in a similar position without the SCC diagnosis as yet.
Sally