Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostap and psa rise

User
Posted 02 Mar 2017 at 09:59
Hi all

Does anyone know if Prostap should still cause a flare in symptoms after being administered? As this happened last month we are nine months in and the original symptoms are starting again and does the psa normally rise just before next jab is due? Thanks in advance

User
Posted 02 Mar 2017 at 14:01

It should be becoming less marked as time goes on. Are you exact about getting it every three months or is the appointment slipping a few days each time? Is he having his testosterone tested at the same time as his PSA to check that the Prostap is doing its job? Bazza had to change to the 3 month dose every 10 weeks to keep his testosterone down but he is quite rare I think. http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t10950-Prostap-side-effects#post133443

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Mar 2017 at 18:21

Unlucky, the testosterone is too high which means that either the dose isn't right or the hormone treatment is failing. It should be 0.69 or lower. I would want to discuss that at the next appointment; with that much T in his body the cancer is still able to feed.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Mar 2017 at 11:17

I am sorry to see your post. Did they check his T again? Has his HT now been changed? Did they add bicalutimide?

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 02 Mar 2017 at 14:01

It should be becoming less marked as time goes on. Are you exact about getting it every three months or is the appointment slipping a few days each time? Is he having his testosterone tested at the same time as his PSA to check that the Prostap is doing its job? Bazza had to change to the 3 month dose every 10 weeks to keep his testosterone down but he is quite rare I think. http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t10950-Prostap-side-effects#post133443

User
Posted 02 Mar 2017 at 14:45
Hi Lyn

Thanks for your reply. It's being done on the right dates,testosterone is being tested the last one came back as 2. The psa has doubled in 4 weeks from 5 to 10. But at diagnosis it was only just over 7 with metastasis.

Kind regards

User
Posted 02 Mar 2017 at 14:56

Bazza here

I'm now on Prostap three monthly dose given every six weeks plus Enza. Just had bloods today and the dreaded appointment to come on Monday. PSA has fluctuated mostly up but funnily enough, my CNSsuggested giving it in the tummy as opposed to arm resulting in lower PSAs. Could be coincidence. Ask your onco to suggest a regimen to address the high T count such as higher dose/more frequently and you may, just may see a fall.

Good luck brother

Bazza

User
Posted 02 Mar 2017 at 15:07
Hi Bazza

Thanks for the advice will pass it on to dad. He definitely has the Prostap in his tummy! He has another appt next month so I'll make sure they ask.

User
Posted 02 Mar 2017 at 18:21

Unlucky, the testosterone is too high which means that either the dose isn't right or the hormone treatment is failing. It should be 0.69 or lower. I would want to discuss that at the next appointment; with that much T in his body the cancer is still able to feed.

User
Posted 02 Mar 2017 at 18:38
Thanks Lyn i really appreciate the information,the doctor last week apparently said the testosterone rise was nothing to worry about and that the psa wasn't that high! But with him feeling now like he did with aches and pains last year it's concerning. I have read about casodex being added sometimes maybe that's an option,I'll ask him to ring the Macmillan nurse.

Look for something positive in each day even if some days you have to look a little harder

User
Posted 19 Mar 2017 at 10:08
Fortunately after a call to the Macmillan nurse dads appointment has been brought forward to this week. His mobility has declined rapidly in the last fortnight,appetite has reduced and painkillers not working as well as they should. He doesn't look well at all.

Look for something positive in each day even if some days you have to look a little harder

User
Posted 25 Mar 2017 at 09:24
Well after a trip to oncology yesterday it seems they think dads cancer is spreading after all the pain and the psa doubling yet again this month(from 10 to 22). He is now booked in to have further scans,dad is angry as they asked about having scans after chemo and were told the blood tests showed everything was ok so they weren't needed!

User
Posted 25 Mar 2017 at 11:17

I am sorry to see your post. Did they check his T again? Has his HT now been changed? Did they add bicalutimide?

User
Posted 25 Mar 2017 at 11:25
Hi Lyn,They did check T but didn't give the result,no changes to HT yet apparently they have to wait for results of scan,all they were told was that the outlook is not as good as it was but there will be more treatment he can have,things are escalating much faster than I'd hoped but I always worried with low psa and mets.

User
Posted 18 Apr 2017 at 17:43
After seeing the consultant today my parents have been told that unfortunately my dad's condition is now terminal. He said to them it was a lot more aggressive than first thought,and has given my dad a prescription for steroids,with a further scan next week. This has hit us like a ton of bricks didn't expect to be where we are after a year.

Look for something positive in each day even if some days you have to look a little harder.