Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Post Prostate Removal

User
Posted 19 Mar 2017 at 15:58
Hi

I was diagnosed about two months ago and the prostate was removed on 13th March. Due to go back for catheter removal on the 22nd March

The catheter has been so painful especially when sitting down. Walking not too bad but lying down was the best. Any suggestions as to why and what's best as apart from that I feel fine and want to walk but this just holds things back.

As regards driving is there a general consensus as to time as it was said to me whenever you feel okay and can do an emergency stop

User
Posted 19 Mar 2017 at 18:20

Re driving - you need to check with your insurers. My husband's insurer would not cover him until 12 weeks post-op unless we got a letter from the surgeon confirming he was fit to drive (which the surgeon refused to provide because he said it wasn't for him to decide something like that). In the end, they accepted a letter from our GP at 11 weeks post op. Obviously a bit frustrating if you feel well enough, but not worth the risk of driving without the confirmation of your cover and then being either convicted of driving uninsured or having an accident and them refusing to pay out.

Your catheter should not cause you pain. Are you fitting the leg bag too low down your leg and pulling on the tube? Or is it the eye of your penis that has become sore from the constant rubbing? If the latter, you could have had topical anaesthetic gel from the hospital or your GP although it is probably too late now to get a prescription. Have you tried putting plain lube (KY jelly, usually) around the tube where it leaves your body and trying to push a little bit up inside the penis?

Probably a good thing that the catheter has been stopping you from walking too far ... it is very early days still, and sounds like you might be tempted to overdo things which could slow your recovery or lead to unwanted side effects such as a hernia.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 19 Mar 2017 at 22:16

If you had keyhole rather than open surgery driving should be ok sooner than 11 weeks. My husband spoke to his insurers and they had no restrictions provided that the DVLA had no restrictions. Nothing on the DVLA website suggesting they needed to be notified so he was driving short distances at about 3.5 weeks post op. Felt generally fit and didn't feel that he would be impeded in doing an emergency stop. Back on his motorcycle at 4 weeks which was probably far less sensible but he snuck out when i wasn't looking.

User
Posted 19 Mar 2017 at 23:05

Hi, Yes, for me the catheter was a painful experience, the pain was at the point where the catheter exited the penis, I found that it helped if I held that point whilst I was discharging the bag.

User
Posted 20 Mar 2017 at 12:12

I was told not to drive for 3 months, you must take things easy even if you feel OK, I had catheter in for 3 weeks, I am now 6 months post OP 99% dry and back to normal, but I was told by my surgeon to take it easy for 3 months to let things heal, I had keyhole surgery but still took things easy even though I felt OK, there has been people on this site that started rushing around too soon and ended up back in hospital, so don't rush things, be patient, and no straining when going to the toilet,
best wishes
Paul

User
Posted 20 Mar 2017 at 16:10

Barney

With a catheter in, your bladder will not be filling, if you only get the pain when sitting I suspect the end of the catheter is just sitting in an uncomfortable position and is being squashed and pushed into the bladder wall. Instillagel – Anaesthetic, Antiseptic, Lubricant, is available from most chemist for about £3.50 and as already said it can relieve the discomfort at the end of the penis. A very large catheter caused pain in my penis. I found the worst pain was by-passing where urine is coming out between the catheter and the eye of the penis.

I had robotic surgery and was driving after 4 weeks and assumed that complying with the DVLA rules was sufficient. As Lyn rightly says it would be wise to check with your insurance company, I bet there is a clause somewhere in the small print. Following further minor surgery and the fitting of a catheter I did contact my insurance company and to be honest they did not seem interested. Just be aware of the following extract from the DVLA site if you are told not to drive for three months or more.

“You need to tell DVLA about some medical conditions as they can affect your driving.

You can be fined up to £1,000 if you don’t tell DVLA about a medical condition that affects your driving. You may be prosecuted if you’re involved in an accident as a result.

You must give up your licence if either:

Hope all goes well with the removal of the catheter, no marathons but keep mobile.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 20 Mar 2017 at 22:23

Hi Barney
It can be painful if you try to do too much too soon which happened to me and I have to agree that the Gel works on numbing the pain . The two weeks of catheter will soon go and hopefully once it's removed you'll just see it as part of the story.
You could always say that it took ages to pull out as it was so long :)
All the best you're in good company

User
Posted 22 Mar 2017 at 20:00
Barney

Hope all went well with Catheter removal today.

Driving... funny isn't it that people have had such varying advise on this.

I had open surgery and my consultant advised me to wait 2 weeks or so before driving!

In actual fact I had 6 weeks off work and didn't need to drive... so I didn't. I did drive then.. on holiday before returning to work after the 7th week.

User
Posted 22 Mar 2017 at 20:43

But did you ask your insurer?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard