Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Bone scan shadow

User
Posted 06 Apr 2017 at 19:13
Hi there

My husband received his results today which showed a Gleason 4+3 and stage T3. But his bone scan showed something on the front of his skull so sending for another scan. The consultant has recommended complete removal which my husband is happy to go forward. But the bone scan results is frightening. Has anyone else had this ??

Kind regards m

Tarryface

15/5/2017

Update

My husband s X-ray came back fine. So very relieved. He went in for his op to remove prostate but whilst under a anaesthetic, discovered, due to scar tissue from previous surgery, were unable to continue. Ithe surgeon explained that he would of suggested brachytherapy first anyway. (Wish we had seen that surgeon). Professor raj persad. Leading in research . So feel quite confident. Dave was given, we think hormone tablets and will see someone hopefully in the next two weeks. He is feeling ridiculously well, except for the catheter , which will hopefully be out in the next 10 days.

Edited by member 15 May 2017 at 08:03  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Apr 2017 at 21:52

Hi Tarryface, you might want to edit your post to remove your real name as what we write here can be seen via google but without the Tarryface bit.

Yes it can be frightening waiting for all the results and then further tests but no-one can guess what the final diagnosis is going to be. It is rare for prostate cancer to go to the skull first so fingers crossed for you. If it turns out that he does have bone mets (spread) then the operation option will probably be withdrawn. In the meantime, order the toolkit from this charity (number at the top of the page) so that you can start reading the background information that will help with decision making. It is really not a good idea to make a decision about treatment so quickly, particularly with a T3 diagnosis - have they discussed with you the risk that the op doesn't actually get it all out? The fact that the surgeon is offering surgery suggests that it is only just outside the prostate (T3) but I would want to see an oncologist before making the final decision as radiotherapy may be more likely to get him a remission and with less side effects.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Apr 2017 at 22:35

I don't think anyone on here can give you absolute certain answers to your question but I can tell you that I was 4+5 / T3a and it had not spread outside my prostate and after my op (RARP) my PSA came back 'undetectable.' The only other thing I can add is that (I have formed the view from my study of this) that IF it spreads, it generally spreads laterally i.e. if it is not in your groin it won't be in your head.

User
Posted 07 Apr 2017 at 00:03

T3a is defined as having broken through the outer layer of the prostate, while T3b means it has gone into the seminal vesicles.

The idea that it spreads laterally is not borne out by case examples or by members here - ribs, spine and hips / pelvis are most common but the skull is apparently the 6th most common mets site. Read Andy Ripley's old threads on here, an inspirational sportsman, writer and much loved member of this forum.

Tarry, it is extremely rare (less than 1 in 20 men diagnosed) but right that the onco undertakes further investigations just to be on the safe side.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Apr 2017 at 21:52

Hi Tarryface, you might want to edit your post to remove your real name as what we write here can be seen via google but without the Tarryface bit.

Yes it can be frightening waiting for all the results and then further tests but no-one can guess what the final diagnosis is going to be. It is rare for prostate cancer to go to the skull first so fingers crossed for you. If it turns out that he does have bone mets (spread) then the operation option will probably be withdrawn. In the meantime, order the toolkit from this charity (number at the top of the page) so that you can start reading the background information that will help with decision making. It is really not a good idea to make a decision about treatment so quickly, particularly with a T3 diagnosis - have they discussed with you the risk that the op doesn't actually get it all out? The fact that the surgeon is offering surgery suggests that it is only just outside the prostate (T3) but I would want to see an oncologist before making the final decision as radiotherapy may be more likely to get him a remission and with less side effects.

User
Posted 06 Apr 2017 at 22:35

I don't think anyone on here can give you absolute certain answers to your question but I can tell you that I was 4+5 / T3a and it had not spread outside my prostate and after my op (RARP) my PSA came back 'undetectable.' The only other thing I can add is that (I have formed the view from my study of this) that IF it spreads, it generally spreads laterally i.e. if it is not in your groin it won't be in your head.

User
Posted 07 Apr 2017 at 00:03

T3a is defined as having broken through the outer layer of the prostate, while T3b means it has gone into the seminal vesicles.

The idea that it spreads laterally is not borne out by case examples or by members here - ribs, spine and hips / pelvis are most common but the skull is apparently the 6th most common mets site. Read Andy Ripley's old threads on here, an inspirational sportsman, writer and much loved member of this forum.

Tarry, it is extremely rare (less than 1 in 20 men diagnosed) but right that the onco undertakes further investigations just to be on the safe side.