Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Rarp preparation, help required!

User
Posted 17 Dec 2017 at 16:10

Hi

My husband is due to have surgery on 5th January(Rarp).I wonder if anyone could offer any practical advice or tips for post op i.e things I should get.He has started pfe.

Any help gratefully received

User
Posted 17 Dec 2017 at 19:45

Basic shopping list:
- a bucket to stand the night bag in
- underpants (not boxers) in a size larger than usual
- tracksuit bottoms or joggers in a dark material and preferably with a drawstring waist or elasticated (M&S do some in sweatshirt material)
- a waterproof sheet (Dunelm do one which feels like material rather than plastic or rubber) or disposable waterproof pads ... you might not need them but best to have them just in case

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Dec 2017 at 07:16

Some level 4 and level 2 incontinence pads for when the catheter comes out 10 days later. Again snug underpants are needed rather than boxers to hold them in place.

User
Posted 18 Dec 2017 at 13:39
Make sure he does not get constipated,a hard motion going past a newly stitched urethra is not advisable. Some hospitals apparently issue laxatives. Pain killers are renowned for causing constipation.

Some instilagel gel in case the Catheter makes the end of the penis sore.

Spare leg and bag straps for the Catheter so they can be changed after showering.

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 18 Dec 2017 at 17:51

Will second the bucket and the extra leg and bag straps

Flexi

User
Posted 19 Dec 2017 at 07:58

Don't forget a box set of the full Star Trek series that you missed first time round.

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.