Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dad suspected Prostate Cancer

User
Posted 11 Jan 2018 at 20:55
Hi,

Following a very sudden UTI with bladder retention over Christmas my Dad as been told Prostate Cancer is suspected. His PSA was 108 and his Prostate felt ‘hard’ on examination. He was discharged on Sunday with a catheter and had a full bone scan today.

I know this will vary but generally how long do results take and how were you informed? Will we be called in or receive results in a letter?

Dad has since admitted he has had problems with his flow for around 6 months - worse first thing in morning or after being sat down for a while.

It’s all very sudden and worrying - until this point he has been a very healthy 72 year old.

Also we are using Harrogate Hospital, not sure if anyone on here has any experience of it?

Many thanks in advance,

Kirsty x

User
Posted 11 Jan 2018 at 21:51

If he is diagnosed he will possibly be referred to St James' hospital in Leeds where they have a urology / oncology centre of excellence.

He may be invited to an appointment for a biopsy and MRI scan although if they have gone straight to a bone scan they must be fairly sure that it is prostate cancer.

Download the toolkit from this website or call the number at the top of the page and order a copy - it will help you to get all the language and the meanings of the different stages & possible treatments into your head before he sees the urologist or oncologist.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Jan 2018 at 21:59

good luck kirsty,i was treated at st james in leeds they were excellent.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 11 Jan 2018 at 21:51

If he is diagnosed he will possibly be referred to St James' hospital in Leeds where they have a urology / oncology centre of excellence.

He may be invited to an appointment for a biopsy and MRI scan although if they have gone straight to a bone scan they must be fairly sure that it is prostate cancer.

Download the toolkit from this website or call the number at the top of the page and order a copy - it will help you to get all the language and the meanings of the different stages & possible treatments into your head before he sees the urologist or oncologist.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Jan 2018 at 21:59

good luck kirsty,i was treated at st james in leeds they were excellent.

User
Posted 11 Jan 2018 at 22:17
Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I felt the same about the bone scan. When visiting at the weekend I was asked to stay with my dad while the doctor spoke to him and although they said nothing was certain I got the feeling they were preparing us.

I’m still in shock and very worried x

User
Posted 11 Jan 2018 at 22:18
Thanks for replying. Good to know about Leeds - thank you. X
User
Posted 12 Jan 2018 at 16:35
Hi Lynn,

Dad has been told he has an appointment on the 24th January. The letter hasn’t arrived yet so not sure who it is to see but I’m hoping the fact it’s almost two weeks away is a good sign?

Kirsty x