Show search

Notification

Error
<12

Spirituality and diet

User
Posted 12 Aug 2022 at 00:25

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I’ve come in on the tail end of this conversation and realise David that it’s tailing off now. However I just wanted to say thank you for starting the thread. As a 74 year old ex businessman (who’s far too overweight) this thread has proved both useful and encouraging. I was diagnosed a few weeks ago and am on a steep learning curve. For myself, spirituality is a very positive dimension to my life but diet… a new discipline I find hard to adhere to. Again, thanks for the encouragement.

We changed our diet completely when my husband was diagnosed. It wasn’t easy for him as he always had a lot of dairy (2 pints of milk a day, lots of butter, cheese etc) and a fair amount of red meat. He’s always been a bit fussy with food too. We took all the dairy and red meat away and he just wanted to eat whatever he thought might make a difference. I guess none of us really know whether diet can impact the cancer, but when we get told this week from the consultant that my husband might be an exception to the rule as he was expecting him to have more treatment by now, then I want to believe that it could have made some difference. Who knows what can be achieved when you believe it! I think we’ll always feel we did everything we could aswell. We’re certainly not as strict now as we once were but I try to make sure I only cook healthy (no meat/dairy) meals at home.

Best of luck to you

User
Posted 14 Aug 2022 at 09:55
Thanks Elaine. I don’t want to take the thread off course because the focus is spirituality and diet but perhaps someone can point me in the right direction.

I notice from your post Elaine and others here that there seems to be frequent reference to what seems like open dialogue between many patients (or whatever we’re called) and their consultants.

My experience last Friday at the NHS seemed to indicate “‘you’ve had your consultation, my team will be in touch”. I realise they’re busy people and can’t be phoning patients all the time for continuing consultations but can anyone point me to where I might find out what a reasonable level of dialogue with a consultant is? I’ll look elsewhere on this forum but any quick pointers would be much appreciated.

Please don’t let this question detract from the main theme of this discussion thread though. Thanks.

User
Posted 14 Aug 2022 at 12:06

My experience with the NHS is there is not a constant dialogue with the consultant. The frequency of intervention is dependent upon the stage of your treatment. You have to remember that the timelines of treatment can be long and drawn out, people are simply compressing those timeline down to key points.

Since March I have seen a urologists 3 times and had 1 phone call. But that is because I was going through diagnosis.

I believe everyone should be assigned a uro-oncology nurse. I have 2. One at my initial local hospital and one at my treatment centre. They both are very good at answering questions and providing advice.

User
Posted 14 Aug 2022 at 12:31

Hi Romans, You could start a new thread with a different title. I do accept it is a bit awkward starting threads on this site, but it is a good topic and one people may wish to find in future.

Dave

User
Posted 14 Aug 2022 at 17:27

Well I've read this whole thread carefully and I'm not convinced that Barcud's posts are a real account of someone dealing with prostate cancer, though I could be wrong of course.

Jules

User
Posted 24 Aug 2022 at 14:42

I'm not really into Wim Hof, apart from 365 wild swimming, but this is an encouraging account from a guy who's gone from stage 4 to cancer-free https://youtu.be/rlbIseil1TE OK it wasn't PCa, but liver cancer, from what I've heard, will kill you a whole bunch quicker.