I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

The million dollar question

User
Posted 22 Feb 2024 at 15:48

Hi Phil, wondering how you got on with the second round of Chemo ? Hoping its going well and the danged Cancer has been forced back into hiding.

Had my blood test today , see consultant next week. Bit nervous as my PSA went up last time … 😬

Take care

Phil

User
Posted 23 Feb 2024 at 07:38

Hi there 

Tend not to give to many updates on thread but do keep my bio up on profile.

Had 3rd session a couple of days ago,coping well thanks,oncology appointment with PSA results in about 3 weeks should find out more then.

Thanks for getting in touch and good luck with your results,it's a stressful time waiting to see if your PSA is up or down.

Regards Phil 

User
Posted 14 Mar 2024 at 16:11

Hi guys

Update time..4th chemo (docetaxel)done and coping well,had onco appointment today.PSA down to 23 from 26 expected it to be more but my last PSA blood test was about a month before treatment started so it would have probably risen more,I'm led to believe that PSA lowers slowly with chemo and at least it's going down not up,onco seems to think that because I'm coping so well with the treatment that he may up the cycles to 10 rather than the 6 I was initially put on,is this normal?

I'm thinking the more poison they pump into me the longer it will keep it at bay,am I right in thinking that?your thoughts would be welcome.

Stay strong everyone regards Phil 

User
Posted 14 Mar 2024 at 17:01

Hi Phil. I would take a reduction any day, it’s a good indication. Don’t know about the increase in cycles , but must be good if he thinks you can cope with it ok. 
Best of luck , fingers crossed for a nice reduction next test. 

Hope you’re coping ok emotionally as it’s a roller coaster ride. Me and the missus had a rare cry together last night . Sometimes you just need to let it out . 

Take care Phil, 

Phil

User
Posted 14 Mar 2024 at 20:59

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I'm led to believe that PSA lowers slowly with chemo and at least it's going down not up

onco seems to think that because I'm coping so well with the treatment that he may up the cycles to 10 rather than the 6 I was initially put on,is this normal?

Sometimes, the PSA actually rises on chemo - think of it as the cancer screaming as it dies.

Yes, 10 sessions for men who are tolerating it well. We have had men here who went on to do it again - so 20 sessions in total - and one member who said he had done docetaxel 4 times over a period of a few years (so 40 infusions!) 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Apr 2024 at 08:31

Hi guys

Just a quick update,5th chemo (docetaxel)cycle completed yesterday,just waiting for the steroid crash/fatigue,metal mouth and few aches and headaches to kick in but should be passed by Tuesday/Wednesday of next week if the other 4 cycles are anything to go by,next onco appointment and PSA results day after next cycle (in 3 weeks).

It was confirmed yesterday that my original 6 cycles has been up to 10 cycles,onco feels that I'm coping well with the chemo and thay want to blast it with the full 10 and I'll second that.

User
Posted 04 Apr 2024 at 09:25

Good luck Phil. Let’s hope this gives the cancer a bash on the head. Also hoping you feel ok through the side effects this time. πŸ‘

Phil

User
Posted 04 Apr 2024 at 09:57
Nice one Phil. Some hope for us following behind you. Keep on gunning
User
Posted 04 Apr 2024 at 10:07

It's your strength Phil, that is an inspiration to us all. Thank you.

User
Posted 25 Apr 2024 at 18:25

Hi all

It's update time,6th cycle of chemo done (docetaxel) 4 to go,PSA down from 21.5 in march to 16 so heading in the right direction so pleased with that,QOL pretty good.

Advice other people to keep a diary of symptoms and how to pace yourself for the 1st week after treatment I find that it helps.

Asked the question today with an appointment with my chemo chemist if the option when the time comes if I could repeat the docetaxel route again if I am coping with it so well and it is lowering my PSA she said it's not the norm and cabazitaxel is the next route but that may change when the time comes because new treatment are being released all the time,I shall ask the question again at my next oncologist appointment and may request a repeat course not ask.

Stay strong all and keep fighting the fight 

Regards phil

User
Posted 25 Apr 2024 at 18:48
Thanks for update Phil. You’re doing remarkably well and keeping the faith for those of us behind you. I congratulate you for that on its own. All my very best to you and all fingers and toes crossed for you and a new treatment. πŸ’ͺ
User
Posted 25 Apr 2024 at 19:48

Asked the question today with an appointment with my chemo chemist if the option when the time comes if I could repeat the docetaxel route again if I am coping with it so well and it is lowering my PSA she said it's not the norm and cabazitaxel is the next route

That might be the stance at that particular hospital. However, we have a number of members of this forum who have had 2 or 3 goes at docetaxel and one member who says he has had 10 lots of 6 rounds! 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Apr 2024 at 21:39

Can only echo CJ's comments Phil. great update my man and so glad to hear your PSA has dropped.

Stay as cool as you always can and will be.

Lots of love brother.

Jamie.

User
Posted 26 Apr 2024 at 08:34

Thanks for the comments guys and I wont  drop the discussion with my oncologist about giving docetaxel another bash if after completing my 10 cycles the cancer has been put to sleep for now,why shouldn't I be given the chance to try it again if it worked the first time round?if it doesn't work fine I'll take that and we move onto cabazitaxel.why should I throw this tool away never to be used again when it has preformed well and move onto to the next (which there isn't a lot left in the box)!!

Phil

User
Posted 26 Apr 2024 at 09:00

Hi Phil. Great news the Docetaxel is reducing your PSA so soon. And also excellent you are coping well with it. 
We are all rooting for you πŸ‘. 

Take care

Phil