I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

I am a reluctant newby here

User
Posted 08 Jul 2021 at 20:29
Apparently, you can get a signed copy directly from Irun although it will cost a bit more because he doesn't have the buying & negotiating power of a multi-national distribution company 🤷‍♀️
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Mar 2023 at 21:25

Hi, it’s been a while since I posted but I wanted to share where I am and maybe inspire people to make the best of every day no matter where they are on the pca journey .

So it’s 8.5 years now since I was told I may only have 2 ,  I decided to run lots  through chemo and just never stopped (bit like Forest Gump). 

I remember thinking that my situation was hopeless but it dawned on me that at my end whenever that may be I won’t say “I wish I spent more time being sad and staying in” but I may regret not pushing life to the max every time I could .

first the scores, T4N1M1A on diagnosis , PSA 342 . Today , PSA 0.12. I had a blip last September when it rose yo 0.28 in a month. That followed 6 months when I did not run much due to injury , double hernia and food poisoning . 
why the drop again ? Obviously I dont know but I started running every day again in December (minimum 3.3 miles for the 33 men who die every day in the uk of this bu@@er of a disease) and average about 6. 
I gave up alcohol on 31/12/22. Why ? Because I wanted to run for as long as I can and I thought it may help . Do I feel better ? Not much BUT , I have lost 13 lb, sleep like a baby opposed to having broken sleep before and my “motions” have improved greatly and my running is getting better .

I have run over 15,000 miles in the last 8 years . Next up is the Brighton Marathon in 4 weeks and then off to Bhutan for a 200k race with 35,000ft of ascent. 

I have been on abiraterone since January 2016, I have been lucky , it appears to be working still , not everyone is as lucky I know .

I hope anyone reading this will realise that what you do can be up to you to some extent . I am no athlete , never very good but every day as my wife says.  “If I feel ok it’s going to be a good day” and just do stuff .

From almost day 1 , PCUK , this forum, fundraising , speaking , writing a book etc have given me a sense of worth and purpose so i guess my messages are live life the best your situation allows  every day , don’t worry about what you can’t change and so something to stop others being where we all are in time to come .  Thanks for reading 

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 07 Mar 2023 at 22:23

Hi irun 

Your update has prompted me to post my first post! The reason being that I want to say a massive thank you to you for everything you are doing. I got diagnosed last November and it has been a bit of a roller coaster so far as I think it is for most on this forum immediately after diagnosis.  As someone who has always run a bit through adulthood though, I have found reading about what you have done massively uplifting and a big help to me in keeping up my running, which in turn has helped me to get through the first few months of this new path I am on. 

Interesting to hear you have given up alcohol all together. I have been tempted, but enjoy a few beers watching sport etc., and is such a big part of my social life so have gone for moderation post diagnosis rather than cutting it out all together. That being said I can imagine cutting it out entirely some day for similar reasons to you.

Anyway, thanks for the update, keep up the good work and good luck with Brighton - a cracking Marathon - and then Bhutan.

User
Posted 08 Mar 2023 at 00:22

Thanks for the post irun. Whatever your doing you're doing it right.

P822 Welcome aboard.

Dave

User
Posted 08 Mar 2023 at 16:55
Great to hear Kevin your still doing your crazy challenges. Positive mental attitude you have it in spades.
User
Posted 10 Mar 2023 at 09:00
Gives us all hope and thanks for updating. Such an uplifting post thanks Irun. Keep on running x
User
Posted 12 Mar 2023 at 21:52

Thanks for the update. It’s inspirational to hear how well you are doing. 

Ido4

User
Posted 07 May 2023 at 19:34
Another update , took on the three Yorkshire Peaks with Ian (prosectomy 5 years ago) , Paul (stage 4 diagnosis 2 years ago) , yours truly (stage 4 diagnosis 2014) and met Aiden (prosectomy March 2023!) for a few miles too . We covered the 24 miles and 5,200 ascent of climb in under 10 hours (and I ran 3.3 miles first thing as well keeping my 2023 daily running streak alive. Why 3.3 miles minimum? Because 33 men will die today of prostate cancer in the UK alone.

We raised over £4k, got a double page feature on what and why in the Daily Express plus loads of other local media coverage .

Our average age 55 all ordinary guys .

So if we can do that please believe in what may be possible for you ? Anything anyone can do to raise funds, awareness and personal joy with a sense of purpose and worth has got to be worth it .

None of know how long we have, be it fitness or friends so don’t waste a minute and try any of those aims above to help no man ever have to be stage 4 again . Live for the day .

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 07 May 2023 at 20:11
Well done chaps, a truly inspirational effort and an example of how you can show how life goes on unfettered by PCa.
Roger
User
Posted 07 May 2023 at 20:30
Congratulations Kev ét al. Truly inspirational and so helpful for the cause. Many of us have been so lucky with an initial T4. Keep going brother !
User
Posted 07 May 2023 at 20:34

Hey Irun, 

What an achievement!  Well done to you and your mates.  Thanks for all you do for the cause.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 08 May 2023 at 00:06

Thank you for all the work you do Kev, and thanks to the other runners. Our men deserve the best. 

User
Posted 09 May 2023 at 12:29

Very well done to you all. A true inspiration, you should all feel so proud. 

I think I’m doing well just going to the gym 🤣but what you did was amazing. 

I bought your book Kev and after reading it bought another copy for my friend with PCa. Being a runner himself he truly understood the remarkable achievements you have made. 

Phil

User
Posted 10 May 2023 at 13:10

Great to read this, well done to all. 

Ido4

User
Posted 18 Sep 2023 at 17:15

Update , PSA has stabilised at 0-22 ish for the last year with no change in meds , zoladex, abbi and prednisone. 

Weekend just gone rowed 22 miles along the Thames in the Great River Race Saturday , walked Jeff’s football marathon march Sunday and went for a 6k run today .  I know I am lucky to be here but firmly believe exercise that makes you sweat bashes the cancer in conjunction with NHS stuff , more veg less meat , no booze (gave up 31/12/22) and a positive attitude . Even made BBC breakfast today ! Nearly 9 years from a T4 n1m1a diagnosis .

User
Posted 18 Sep 2023 at 17:33

Absolutely amazing you are an inspiration and give hope to so many people 

best wishes Ann

User
Posted 19 Sep 2023 at 07:36
Loving the updates Irun.
User
Posted 19 Sep 2023 at 08:19
Nice update Kev. I do plenty of exercise but not at your level. And give up booze ? Not for me. I think it’s preserving me. I’ve just passed 8 yrs G9T4 also.

Nice to hear from you

User
Posted 19 Sep 2023 at 08:51

Kev, good to hear things are going relatively well. A great attitude and an inspiration to us all.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 19 Sep 2023 at 09:06

Great stuff Kev, you are indeed and inspiration to us all. I agree that exercise and positivity is key to fighting this disease. As for the booze? Well I had certainly cut back but I do sti.l enjoy a G&T at the weekend.

Derek

User
Posted 19 Sep 2023 at 11:54

Fantastic update Irun, you are amazing and give so much hope to all.

Ange x