I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

What is Stampede

User
Posted 23 Apr 2015 at 07:14

Goodmorning, yesterday I got the news that I have advanced PC, so I am still processing all that I was told, one thing I could do with is a bit of help with, is Stampede was mentioned, I know it is a trial, but thats about it, it would help if I could be directed to some infomation, or if someone who has been there could give me a brief outline. LL&B Dave

User
Posted 23 Apr 2015 at 16:05

Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear your news, we are also not in the cure camp I just wanted to let you know that you are not on your own. I can't give advice about Trials but I wanted to bring your post back up to the top where more people will see it. There are quite a few guys on here that have experience of trials so I am hoping that they will see your thread.

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 23 Apr 2015 at 18:15
Hello Dave

I am sorry to see you here, but you are in the right place for information.

Stampede is a trial that tests the use of drugs, that are usually used later in treatment, earlier - alongside standard treatment.

It is a random trial so you may get standard treatment ( like you would get anyway) or you may get some additional drugs to go with it, like abiraterone or/and Enzi, which are the 2 new drugs for P ca that is more advanced.

The trial means that you may get to try these drugs earlier in your treatment, in the hope that they will work better, this is what they are testing.

If you are on the trial you will get more appointments and monitoring than you might if you do not enrol. You will have to fill in questionnaires and have more blood tests, but in the hope that the drugs will work better.

There is a lot to think about as there are side effects of the drugs and a lot more appointments to attend.

This is a brief overview, you will be given a lot of information to read.

My OH was on this trial for 2 years and completed it last summer. he had the standard treatment plus abiraterone. His side effects were raised Bp and reduced potassium but they monitored him extremely carefully and had other drugs to counter these side effects. The trial nurses were exceptional and very informative.

There is a little more to it though , in that NICE have decided that if you take certain drugs that you cannot have others later on but this is a minefield and may change before you ever need the other drug. I do not wish to confuse you as you are at a very difficult point at the moment and should try to think about things one step at a time.

Others on here will comment soon I am sure! but we would recommend the trial if you feel up to the additional appointments and side effects that you may or may not get.

Best wishes

Alison

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 23:24

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Very interested to read your comments ref the stampede results, I will look out for those.

thank you.

Alison

Here is the analysis of the control group results so far. Heartening for men with node + cancer who have had ADT and RT to both prostate and lower pelvic region. http://www.stampedetrial.org/pdf/ESMO_M0_Radiotherapy_Control_Arm_Results_V1.pdf

The forthcoming results of some combination treatments will be presented at Tackle's annual conference on 16th June. The results will be published before that date. The "treatment changing" words I used came from an eminent oncologist.

Edited by moderator 06 Jul 2023 at 10:39  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Apr 2015 at 15:43

Hi Davlyn

I hope that the scan and appointment goes okay.

This is the worst time waiting to find out how far it has spread.

I would certainly recommend the trial. If it does not agree with you then you can withdraw from it at any time.

Most men that have been on it have agreed with this point of view.

Keep us posted with your results as someone on here will be in a similar position to advise further.

All the best.

Alison

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 23 Apr 2015 at 16:05

Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear your news, we are also not in the cure camp I just wanted to let you know that you are not on your own. I can't give advice about Trials but I wanted to bring your post back up to the top where more people will see it. There are quite a few guys on here that have experience of trials so I am hoping that they will see your thread.

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 23 Apr 2015 at 18:15
Hello Dave

I am sorry to see you here, but you are in the right place for information.

Stampede is a trial that tests the use of drugs, that are usually used later in treatment, earlier - alongside standard treatment.

It is a random trial so you may get standard treatment ( like you would get anyway) or you may get some additional drugs to go with it, like abiraterone or/and Enzi, which are the 2 new drugs for P ca that is more advanced.

The trial means that you may get to try these drugs earlier in your treatment, in the hope that they will work better, this is what they are testing.

If you are on the trial you will get more appointments and monitoring than you might if you do not enrol. You will have to fill in questionnaires and have more blood tests, but in the hope that the drugs will work better.

There is a lot to think about as there are side effects of the drugs and a lot more appointments to attend.

This is a brief overview, you will be given a lot of information to read.

My OH was on this trial for 2 years and completed it last summer. he had the standard treatment plus abiraterone. His side effects were raised Bp and reduced potassium but they monitored him extremely carefully and had other drugs to counter these side effects. The trial nurses were exceptional and very informative.

There is a little more to it though , in that NICE have decided that if you take certain drugs that you cannot have others later on but this is a minefield and may change before you ever need the other drug. I do not wish to confuse you as you are at a very difficult point at the moment and should try to think about things one step at a time.

Others on here will comment soon I am sure! but we would recommend the trial if you feel up to the additional appointments and side effects that you may or may not get.

Best wishes

Alison

User
Posted 24 Apr 2015 at 09:42

Trevor, thankyou for taking the trouble to post on my question, I am at the start of my journey and knowing that there are people out there is realy helpful. LL&B    Dave

User
Posted 24 Apr 2015 at 09:46

Alison many thanks for your help, it also helped my OH, I am just getting used to the system. It has sent me six E mails to let me know I have mail, another 3 have come through whilst typing this. LL&B  Dave

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 11:45

I joined STAMPEDE during September 2013. I was randomised (selected by a computer not a human) to the control group. I am on Prostap (ADT) injections every 12 weeks and had radical radiotherapy (74 Gray over 37 fractions) to my prostate a year ago.

When I joined the control group I was given a consultation schedule for 5 years: 6 weekly intervals for the first 24 weeks, then 12 weekly for 18 months, then every 6 months. The routine is that you have a blood test before each consultation. This, together with weight and blood pressure checks, gives the oncologists detailed information on your progress. I believe that patients assigned to other treatment arms have more frequent consultations due to the nature of the drugs being taken.

To my mind joining STAMPEDE was a complete no-brainer. Joining is voluntary as is leaving if you are dissatisfied. I have found the regular and frequent consultations very reassuring and helpful. I now know my oncology team well which helps build mutual confidence.

For more information read the comprehensive website: http://www.stampedetrial.org/

Click on the "patients homepage" link towards the bottom of the home page.

Stampede published some control group results last autumn which are very encouraging for patients. I understand that a major announcement is to be made in about a month's time on the results of some other arms. These are described as "treatment changing" which could be exciting for us patients!

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 16:38

Very interested to read your comments ref the stampede results, I will look out for those.

thank you.

Alison

User
Posted 27 Apr 2015 at 23:24

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

thank you.

Alison

Here is the analysis of the control group results so far. Heartening for men with node + cancer who have had ADT and RT to both prostate and lower pelvic region. http://www.stampedetrial.org/pdf/ESMO_M0_Radiotherapy_Control_Arm_Results_V1.pdf

The forthcoming results of some combination treatments will be presented at Tackle's annual conference on 16th June. The results will be published before that date. The "treatment changing" words I used came from an eminent oncologist.

Edited by moderator 06 Jul 2023 at 10:39  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Apr 2015 at 07:53
Thank you dart view. I have scanned these but need to sit down to try and decider it all.

Looks interesting ref the node involvement point.

Had a look at your profile, my OH was similar with some node involvement then stampede trial, but he got arm g abiraterone.

Hope all going okay for you. We are a couple of years ahead of you.

Alison

User
Posted 28 Apr 2015 at 08:00

Many thanks for your reply, I had a CT scan on Sunday and have an appointment with Oncoligist and McM nurse in about a week so I should know then the full extent of the spread of my new best friend. I am keen to go on a trial, it might help me, it will help someone in the future. I am still trying to get my head round all the possible treatments that may slow things down, just started on the begining of Hormone Treatment. Sorry I am rambling again, sure sign that I still dont have a path yet, must try to be patiant.

Dave

User
Posted 28 Apr 2015 at 15:43

Hi Davlyn

I hope that the scan and appointment goes okay.

This is the worst time waiting to find out how far it has spread.

I would certainly recommend the trial. If it does not agree with you then you can withdraw from it at any time.

Most men that have been on it have agreed with this point of view.

Keep us posted with your results as someone on here will be in a similar position to advise further.

All the best.

Alison