I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Worried.

User
Posted 06 Jun 2015 at 14:42

Hi, my name is Jack 63 years, i just recieved a letter about an hour ago on the result from my biopsy 'Found the presence of prostate cancer' it says i am at the lower scale of aggressiveness. i have already had a mri and bone scans which were clear,you just think after the biopsy right whatever the results i'm ready for this but as i opened the letter and started reading i was shaking and all i could think about was my family and how it would affect them,i'm a bit calmer now after going online for information,thanks.

User
Posted 06 Jun 2015 at 20:12

Hello Jack,

You've come to the right place. Sorry you are here but since you are here then Welcome !

We are all with you. We've all got PCa.

First of all I would recommend that you get THE TOOLKIT. It's free and will help you to understand more about your condition.

Go to the publications page.

Then to let you know that I was diagnosed with PCa in 2008 and I'm still around and since I am eighty eight I'm thinking I might die of old age first, so you are not in any immediate danger. I must warn that  tests diagnosis and chioce of appropriate treatment usually takes a long time. You just have to wait. Be patient.

Keep us up to date as things progress. It will help to share.

Ray

User
Posted 06 Jun 2015 at 20:13
You're in the right place jack for help and advice , I can absolutely assure you. I'm surprised u got that awful news by letter ! It's normally a one-to-one. I'm a new person too but have had endless support from people here. It seems u have time to step back and make choices which is vital. Best wishes Chris.
User
Posted 06 Jun 2015 at 20:24
Hi Jacko, sorry to hear how upset you are at the moment but you are on the right site for information and support.

I am 65 and was diagnosed with aggressive cancer confined to my prostate and it was a shock to have the diagnosis confirmed but am at the stage of being on Hormone Therapy for 4 months now with RT in 2 months time after I have a TURP procedure next week to enable me to have a good flow of urine.

I am taking all information on board and looking at life with open eyes and an with outlook that says what will be will be but do not dwell on the grim side of life's bum deal. Be positive about what is happening and not negative as I am sure it will help you through this.

There are bound to be others on here that will give more advice and possibly better views than mine but you are at the start of treatment with loads of options and ways to go as well as statistics being on your side with PC being so treatable. Try to keep the emotions under control and think logically, even though HT does make you more emotional on occasions and tired, it will be a long road so no point in being down in the dumps.

Hope you feel better after this as it helps me to stay on top of things by being positive..

Regards Chris/woody.

User
Posted 07 Jun 2015 at 09:17

Jacko,

most of us have been where you are now, this is an excellent site for getting good info and support....use it !
dont be worried about asking questions, there are some very knowledgable people here who can offer help
I recommend you tell yourself survival first, and the rest take it as it comes....good luck

User
Posted 07 Jun 2015 at 09:40
Jack

Hi and sorry you find yourself here, this is the place for support we are a caring bunch. You will get replies and support from both men and women so don't be surprised when one of the ladies like me pops in to chat!

I agree with Chris that it is really unusual to get this diagnosis in a letter and really quite uncaring. The normal is to have a one to one with a consultant urologist or sometimes with a clinical nurse present too. They would normally suggest you bring a partner, wife, family member or friend with you. After all being told you have cancer is a shock no matter how good the outlook might be.

From the limited info you have given it sounds as though your diagnosis puts you in the "cure" camp.

You should have been given a Gleason score and staging something like 7 (3 +4) and T2N0MO as well as your initial or subsequent PSA readings. This info is helpful to share.

From what you have said you will get several options to consider and a reasonable amount of time to consider these thoroughly.

Ray has given you the steer to get the toolkit from here which everyone finds helpful and informative.

If you have a consult coming up try and take someone with you as they can make notes or ask questions on your behalf if you get a bit overwhelmed by it all.

You will get replies from men who are in a very similar situation to you who have found the waiting for results, decisions on treatment etc. Both frustrating and difficult. You can read their profiles by clicking on their avatar.

In the meantime until you know more avoid googling as the answers you get will be generic about all stages of PCa many of which will be irrelevant and quite frankly scary.

Best wishes

Xx

Mo

User
Posted 07 Jun 2015 at 10:39

He lives on a small island - perhaps the Scottish NHS has a slightly different approach to providing test results to people who live in remote areas?

We shouldn''t automatically criticise and be shocked by a hospital or medical practice before we have all the information - for all we know, Jacko could have said at the biopsy appointment "please send me the results by post because I hate having to come on the ferry boat"

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Jun 2015 at 11:37
Lyn

You are absolutely right I had not picked up that Jack resides in the outer islands sorry. I still would have thought a phone call might be a bit more empathetic than just a letter which gives no chance to ask questions at the time when you most need to.

Jack it would be interesting to hear how you get along and how your location affects your care.

Best wishes

Xx

Mo

User
Posted 09 Jun 2015 at 06:54

hi jacko

just popping in to say hello, Isle of Lewis what a place I love watching wildlife you must get loads

you have got past some of the hard bits that is getting results, its all about what happens next dont be rushed into anything.

take care

nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 09 Jun 2015 at 18:18

Hello Jacko and welcome from me too.

We are a nice bunch of people and everyone helps everyone else.
There are no questions off limits, no matter how personal so feel free to ask.
All the best
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 10 Jun 2015 at 10:09

Hi Jack,

I just wanted to wish you well and wish you the best of luck with your treatment.

Keep posting.

Steve 

User
Posted 23 Sep 2015 at 01:53
Hi Jack

just a thought I know that Glasgw Hospitals will admit you the night

before your op due to your location.

Maybe worth while contacting them. Wishing you all the best for your op.

Carol.

User
Posted 23 Sep 2015 at 07:04

Good luck with the seed implant Jacko.

If you want you could click on my name and read my husband's journey with the implants.

It's over a year now and all seems well

User
Posted 10 Nov 2015 at 22:30
Jackie

Good to hear all is going well, long may that continue.

Xx

Mo

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 06 Jun 2015 at 20:12

Hello Jack,

You've come to the right place. Sorry you are here but since you are here then Welcome !

We are all with you. We've all got PCa.

First of all I would recommend that you get THE TOOLKIT. It's free and will help you to understand more about your condition.

Go to the publications page.

Then to let you know that I was diagnosed with PCa in 2008 and I'm still around and since I am eighty eight I'm thinking I might die of old age first, so you are not in any immediate danger. I must warn that  tests diagnosis and chioce of appropriate treatment usually takes a long time. You just have to wait. Be patient.

Keep us up to date as things progress. It will help to share.

Ray

User
Posted 06 Jun 2015 at 20:13
You're in the right place jack for help and advice , I can absolutely assure you. I'm surprised u got that awful news by letter ! It's normally a one-to-one. I'm a new person too but have had endless support from people here. It seems u have time to step back and make choices which is vital. Best wishes Chris.
User
Posted 06 Jun 2015 at 20:24
Hi Jacko, sorry to hear how upset you are at the moment but you are on the right site for information and support.

I am 65 and was diagnosed with aggressive cancer confined to my prostate and it was a shock to have the diagnosis confirmed but am at the stage of being on Hormone Therapy for 4 months now with RT in 2 months time after I have a TURP procedure next week to enable me to have a good flow of urine.

I am taking all information on board and looking at life with open eyes and an with outlook that says what will be will be but do not dwell on the grim side of life's bum deal. Be positive about what is happening and not negative as I am sure it will help you through this.

There are bound to be others on here that will give more advice and possibly better views than mine but you are at the start of treatment with loads of options and ways to go as well as statistics being on your side with PC being so treatable. Try to keep the emotions under control and think logically, even though HT does make you more emotional on occasions and tired, it will be a long road so no point in being down in the dumps.

Hope you feel better after this as it helps me to stay on top of things by being positive..

Regards Chris/woody.

User
Posted 06 Jun 2015 at 22:42

Chris,Ray,Woody thank you,thank you,this forum is a life saver for me and my family,thank you.

User
Posted 07 Jun 2015 at 09:17

Jacko,

most of us have been where you are now, this is an excellent site for getting good info and support....use it !
dont be worried about asking questions, there are some very knowledgable people here who can offer help
I recommend you tell yourself survival first, and the rest take it as it comes....good luck

User
Posted 07 Jun 2015 at 09:40
Jack

Hi and sorry you find yourself here, this is the place for support we are a caring bunch. You will get replies and support from both men and women so don't be surprised when one of the ladies like me pops in to chat!

I agree with Chris that it is really unusual to get this diagnosis in a letter and really quite uncaring. The normal is to have a one to one with a consultant urologist or sometimes with a clinical nurse present too. They would normally suggest you bring a partner, wife, family member or friend with you. After all being told you have cancer is a shock no matter how good the outlook might be.

From the limited info you have given it sounds as though your diagnosis puts you in the "cure" camp.

You should have been given a Gleason score and staging something like 7 (3 +4) and T2N0MO as well as your initial or subsequent PSA readings. This info is helpful to share.

From what you have said you will get several options to consider and a reasonable amount of time to consider these thoroughly.

Ray has given you the steer to get the toolkit from here which everyone finds helpful and informative.

If you have a consult coming up try and take someone with you as they can make notes or ask questions on your behalf if you get a bit overwhelmed by it all.

You will get replies from men who are in a very similar situation to you who have found the waiting for results, decisions on treatment etc. Both frustrating and difficult. You can read their profiles by clicking on their avatar.

In the meantime until you know more avoid googling as the answers you get will be generic about all stages of PCa many of which will be irrelevant and quite frankly scary.

Best wishes

Xx

Mo

User
Posted 07 Jun 2015 at 10:39

He lives on a small island - perhaps the Scottish NHS has a slightly different approach to providing test results to people who live in remote areas?

We shouldn''t automatically criticise and be shocked by a hospital or medical practice before we have all the information - for all we know, Jacko could have said at the biopsy appointment "please send me the results by post because I hate having to come on the ferry boat"

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 07 Jun 2015 at 11:37
Lyn

You are absolutely right I had not picked up that Jack resides in the outer islands sorry. I still would have thought a phone call might be a bit more empathetic than just a letter which gives no chance to ask questions at the time when you most need to.

Jack it would be interesting to hear how you get along and how your location affects your care.

Best wishes

Xx

Mo

User
Posted 09 Jun 2015 at 01:34

Thanks for all the kind words,as i live on the Isle of Lewis i have to travel (fly) to inverness then back home again hopefully on the same day, i recieved a phonecall from my own doctor after stopping my bus it was about the mri and bone scans telling me they had found something near the prostate which was a bit upsetting(Passengers on bus) so i decided to settle on getting a letter rather than a phonecall,thank you x

User
Posted 09 Jun 2015 at 06:54

hi jacko

just popping in to say hello, Isle of Lewis what a place I love watching wildlife you must get loads

you have got past some of the hard bits that is getting results, its all about what happens next dont be rushed into anything.

take care

nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 09 Jun 2015 at 18:18

Hello Jacko and welcome from me too.

We are a nice bunch of people and everyone helps everyone else.
There are no questions off limits, no matter how personal so feel free to ask.
All the best
Sandra

User
Posted 10 Jun 2015 at 10:09

Hi Jack,

I just wanted to wish you well and wish you the best of luck with your treatment.

Keep posting.

Steve 

User
Posted 20 Jun 2015 at 11:15

Hi Jack

Just to say I am thinking of you, have been diagnosed with gleason 8 pc

Keep stron and beat this thing 

Best wishes to you and your family

Richard H

Life is way too short to worry!
User
Posted 22 Sep 2015 at 22:16

Update guys,sorry for taking so long my gleason score is 3+3=6. My next visit is to have the prostate measured again for the brackytherapy seeds,the op for inplanting the seeds is in the begining of november.
The only bugbear is finding somewhere to stay before the night of the op at western general edinburgh because i have to catch a flight the night before and be at the hospital for 0745 in the morning.
If you have anything you want to ask about my treatment feel free,thanks again.Jack.

User
Posted 23 Sep 2015 at 01:53
Hi Jack

just a thought I know that Glasgw Hospitals will admit you the night

before your op due to your location.

Maybe worth while contacting them. Wishing you all the best for your op.

Carol.

User
Posted 23 Sep 2015 at 07:04

Good luck with the seed implant Jacko.

If you want you could click on my name and read my husband's journey with the implants.

It's over a year now and all seems well

User
Posted 10 Nov 2015 at 21:53

Hello again, well i opted for and had the 'Brachy' op a few days ago and according to the consultant everything went well, on the meds you all probably know, uptill then i was a feeling 'numb' about the whole cancer thing but always positive and still am maybe even more now that i have had the op.If any 'newbies' have questions about anything, i would be pleased to answer,don't hold back please.http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

User
Posted 10 Nov 2015 at 22:30
Jackie

Good to hear all is going well, long may that continue.

Xx

Mo