I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

grading

User
Posted 16 Jul 2015 at 14:09

I realise l am asking a question, you cant answer!  but could you please tell me how it went for you!

My husband was diagnosed last month...

T2c
Gleason 3+3/3+4 PSA 10
13 cores were taken and there was cancer in 12 of those cores.  5 of which were 3+4
Maximum tumour length 7mm

DRE was confirmed as 'Hard and suspicious' at first urology appointment 70g+

PSA 10
Cancer in both sides of glands

The latest letter says.... His MRI scan shows the tumour on the right abutting the capsule but 'possibly' not penetrating.
When l was diagnosed with breast cancer, each of my 3  operations were 'worse' than they thought!  with regards to grading/spread!
is this the case with pc?

We are seeing a surgeon at the UCHL tomorrow, who will give us a date for his radical prostatectomy. 
just wanted your feedback please
Thank you
Sandra x

User
Posted 16 Jul 2015 at 15:57
Hi Sandra

I think that I have posted to you on a previous thread, but I think you need to get the opinion of the urologist tomorrow and an oncologist who may discuss the possibility of having hormone therapy with radiotherapy as an alternative.

Of course I do not have all of your results, nor am I a doctor, but just get all the info you can, as each man is different and treatment options can differ depending upon his current age, state of health and possible side effects.

The nurses on the helpline here may be able to assist you.

As for the grading - who knows. If prostate removed the pathology could be lesser or more aggressive than previously stated. Will that really matter if it is all gone???? They may get in there, and if it has spread abort the operation, it really depends how confident they are from the scans, I don't think there is a 'usual' circumstance.

It's not easy.

Good Luck

alison

Edited by member 16 Jul 2015 at 16:01  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Jul 2015 at 16:42

Hi Sandra,

I'm pretty sure Gleason grading and T staging can normally be only fully accessed in the lab after the prostate has been removed?

Gleason grading is open to an individuals interpretation to some extent, and it can be uprated or down rated. The same goes for the T staging.
With the whole sample to examine they will get a much better picture.

The histology report after surgery will be the most reliable assessment as to the extent of the tumour(s) etc.

I was assessed with a G6 ( 3+3 ) T2b before surgery..... ( check out my profile )

The surgeon explained to me  that in his experience it's very rare for the histology report to come back as a T2b ....it usually ends up as a pT2c...... and he was right in my case! They found a very small tumour in the other lobe which was not found on MRI or biopsy.
Also my Gleason score was uprated to G7 (3+4) as they also found a "minute focus of glandular fusion suggestive of pattern 4 " 

I went into surgery knowing there was a chance that the PCa may have spread microscopically just outside the prostate, but was very pleased to learn that my histology confirmed that that was not the case.

Best Wishes
Luther

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 Jul 2015 at 15:57
Hi Sandra

I think that I have posted to you on a previous thread, but I think you need to get the opinion of the urologist tomorrow and an oncologist who may discuss the possibility of having hormone therapy with radiotherapy as an alternative.

Of course I do not have all of your results, nor am I a doctor, but just get all the info you can, as each man is different and treatment options can differ depending upon his current age, state of health and possible side effects.

The nurses on the helpline here may be able to assist you.

As for the grading - who knows. If prostate removed the pathology could be lesser or more aggressive than previously stated. Will that really matter if it is all gone???? They may get in there, and if it has spread abort the operation, it really depends how confident they are from the scans, I don't think there is a 'usual' circumstance.

It's not easy.

Good Luck

alison

Edited by member 16 Jul 2015 at 16:01  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Jul 2015 at 16:42

Hi Sandra,

I'm pretty sure Gleason grading and T staging can normally be only fully accessed in the lab after the prostate has been removed?

Gleason grading is open to an individuals interpretation to some extent, and it can be uprated or down rated. The same goes for the T staging.
With the whole sample to examine they will get a much better picture.

The histology report after surgery will be the most reliable assessment as to the extent of the tumour(s) etc.

I was assessed with a G6 ( 3+3 ) T2b before surgery..... ( check out my profile )

The surgeon explained to me  that in his experience it's very rare for the histology report to come back as a T2b ....it usually ends up as a pT2c...... and he was right in my case! They found a very small tumour in the other lobe which was not found on MRI or biopsy.
Also my Gleason score was uprated to G7 (3+4) as they also found a "minute focus of glandular fusion suggestive of pattern 4 " 

I went into surgery knowing there was a chance that the PCa may have spread microscopically just outside the prostate, but was very pleased to learn that my histology confirmed that that was not the case.

Best Wishes
Luther

User
Posted 16 Jul 2015 at 18:16

Hi Luther
Thank you for your reply, that is what l am thinking, the histology report is 'nearly' always 'slightly' worse than predicted.  I am a 'need to know' person, my  husband is 'head in the sand' l am sure he will raise his head before the op!

Sounds like you are doing really well, pleased to hear there was no spread outside the prostate.
Thank you
Sandra