Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

It's a Start!

User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 19:08

Hi All,

This is all new to me, writing thoughts down, asking for opinions, online discussions, looking for help and cancer, so here goes.

I am a 49 year old man and thought in good health with good genes. Life good, work good and succesful, enjoying long walks, holidays, good food and wine. Used to smoke a good few years ago and had the odd one here and there. Was recently single and had started seeing a new lovely lady.

Then after being to a rugby match in Nov 2014, where we lost yet again, I found in needed to pee all the time and annoyed the row of people when I had to get up and down every 10 mins. I had thought I was peeing a bit more perhaps over the previous year but not enough for me to query it. I thought it was because I was getting older. Anyway went to doctors who checked prostate and told it was fine and he made an appointment for a flow check. This I did and again results fine. I basically then forgot about it and as a man didn't like going to doctors anyway, although there's 4 in the family circle.

In Feb I thought the problem was back and went to doctors again. Checked prostate and he wasn't concerned and suggest a PSA check. was told it was a bit controversial as you can get false positives and positive falsies. I though, well its not worth getting, what would it tell me and again left it. In March I was reminded by my ex partner that my dad was treated for it (which I'd forgotten) and so felt I should have the test. On 22nd April I had the test and next day the doctor phoned to say it was 294, which was high and he was making an appointment in Dundee for further tests. On 29th April I had biopsy taken and on 12/5/15 it was confirmed 12 out of 12 affected and a Gleason of 8. Even at that time I thought it was a bladder problem and the words Prostate Cancer came out of the blue. I was shaken obviously and appointments were made for the trinity of scans- Bone, MRI & CAT. Just got on with things and tried not to think about it as what can you do. I don't have all the information, which I always like to have. Had appointment with consultant who confirmed T3 Locally advanced in bones. Bugger.

Started  Pills 56 Cyproterone Acetate on 15/5/15 and Triptorelin Injection on 29/5/15. Next injection on 29/8/15. The consultant has said it will be very likely I'll start chemotherapy in November. That's it really. Luckily so far no side affects apart from being a bit tired which I put down as not sleeping well. I guess probably too early?

I've been looking at the posts and everyone seems to know so much and helpful on passing on the information. There's a lot of information to take in and sometimes hard to follow all the threads. I've had the tool pack which I found very helpful and a good bedtime read.

You know, I don't really know what to ask or say. I've got that mental attitude that, ok this is the next step I've got to take- injection, chemo and see what goes. I've to eat better all in moderation, exercise a bit more, long walks, keep working and get on with it. Of course then physiological, I get the odd bang and think what the bugger, this isn't fair. I've told my brothers and sister and a couple of very good friends and my business partner and of course everyone is very supportive. Having a doctor in the family helps as well. Also have to say Tayside NHS has been good with everything falling into place.

So what I am my asking. I don't really know but I am sure I'll get the hang of asking questions and looking for opinions.

My first and only question for now is for partners of diagnosed.

When I was diagnosed, my first reaction was to stop seeing the lovely lady I had just started seeing. She has two wee girls and she didn't need someone who was ill in her life, after all what could I ever give her but be a burden. She agreed and that was it. Then just recently I met her again and we got on so well and had many, many conversations about family, future and all things cancer. She has say she would like us to pick where we left off. My question is to partners is- This is going to be difficult isn't it? I know no one can tell me and everyone's reaction can be so different. My view is I'll take what comes and going to fight for everything and time I have. But its going to be difficult for and her children and that I cannot bear.

Anyway that is enough rambling for now and many thanks in advance for your kindness, help and opinions I know I'll get from this community.

Thank Yo

Steven

User
Posted 22 Jul 2015 at 16:28
Hi Steven,

welcome aboard the ship nobody really want to sail on, having found yourself here though I wanted to add my hellos from the Ladies bench.

Where to start on your post ..the drugs you are on are not the commonest ones we hear about being prescribed although they are both in a common group of drugs often used for T3 PCa as a combination hormone treatment. The first Cyproterone acetate (we tend to use brand names its easier so Cyprotax maybe?) is a drug to stop or seriously curtail the production of testosterone which is the main food that PCa thrives on, Initially it is usually given as a one off course of tablets to be taken before and after your first injection of a hormone therapy drug that works in a slighty different way. The tablets help to prevent a condition called tumour flare which is basically the cancer going crazy because it does not like anyone trying to mess with it and it fights back big time. It is a very painful experience and one you will be glad not to have.

Once the injection takes effect the cancer should start to calm down, shrink and with a great result, be stopped in its tracks for as long as the injections keep working. For some men that can be ages as in several or many years. The tablets are usually discontinued after the first injection ..well at least for the time being. If at any stage you show signs that you are becoming resistant to the single HT then a drug like Cyprotax or Casodex can be re introduced.

Recent trial results have shown that Men with bone Mets and a T3 staging benefit from hitting the PCa really hard at the outset and so chemotherapy is given as soon as it can be. What happens after that is really dependent on how well things have gone to that stage. You should read Kev IRUN's proflie and also SiNess as they both have similar start ups to yourself. I am delighted to say that both are doing great and are active here on the forum, Kev has already posted for you, he is an inspirational man to say the very least. I am sure Si will post when he has a quieter time, he has just been the maestro behind a hugely successful charity event for his twin daughter's school. We all call him Si Superman stay with us, read his profile and you will understand why.

I am wondering if you are receiving private treatment here in UK or NHS? it shouldn't make too much difference but experience would make me say that in some regions it really does. I ask because of the drugs you are getting and also because of the early chemo which is yet to manifest in all areas on the NHS.

as for SEs well they vary so much if you are incredibly fortunate you may retain some libido for a while, but that is quite rare it tends to just fade along with other things coming into play like man boobs "moobs" hot flushes and tiredness/muscle wastage etc. There are drugs to minimise the moobs and breast soreness, keeping fit and healthy helps with tiredness and weakness but I am afraid not much works for the libido if anything. However read another profile Alathays, there is always an exception to every situation.

Your new lady friend may be someone who sees you as a great bloke to be with, someone she can share happy times with and someone who provides a fun and caring environment for her children. If you find you can really talk to each other about everything and that you can be 100% honest with each other about how things are, and might be going forward in terms of your developing relationship, then that is a great start.

Sometimes when a woman finds someone who she thinks could become her soul mate and best friend having a full on sexual relationship is not the be all and end all. Nature is the mother of all invention and there are things that can become an acceptable substitute if necessary. A lot depends on how valued the other components of the relationship are.

One thing I would add, and this is entirely my personal point of view, If I met someone who made me happy, who's company I enjoyed, whose friendship I truly valued, who made me feel good about myself, who accepted and cared for my children as if they were his own, and who told me at the start (or at least as soon as he was aware) that he had cancer or another terminal or very serious illness which meant the relationship may not develop fully sexually, or may have a rocky road ahead in terms of well being. I would first and foremost be absolutely thankful for his forthrightness and honesty, also for his selflessness as it would make me feel that this ia a man who I can trust and who would be loyal to me and my children , I would most definitely want to try and make that relationship prosper any way that I could providing support and love in the good times and the bad.

As for chemo and working, If you are able to be flexible It can be done but most people tkae the time off so that they are under no real pressure from that source. If your business partner is happy for you to work when you can and maybe from home that might work. Some men sail through chemo like nothing was happening others have a much more tiring and debilitating time. It may depend on the type of chemo, doasge for each session and the total number of sessions. The normal is Docetaxel 75mg given as an infusion every 3 weeks for anything from 6 - 10 cycles along with steroids. The general trend on well being during treatment tends to be one week ok, one week iffy and one week ok again. It does vary as with all these things.

I hope I have not been too voiciferous, those that know me will tell you I am one wordy lady!!

a warm welcome from me

xx

Mo

edited for typos and I may still have missed some!!

Edited by member 22 Jul 2015 at 16:37  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Dec 2015 at 20:44
Steven

Hi

First things first 4 chemos down the line with any PSA drop is ok. When the cancer actually responds to any treatment it fights like mad to re-establish itself and can push PSA up.

As to hair loss, it is common to lose all body hair and retain head hair..no idea why but someone will know.

Tiredness is also common your blood work might show anomalies all of which cause fatigue.

As long as you feel reasonably well most of the time then little else is important right now.

Best wishes

Xx

Mo

User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 19:08

Hi All,

This is all new to me, writing thoughts down, asking for opinions, online discussions, looking for help and cancer, so here goes.

I am a 49 year old man and thought in good health with good genes. Life good, work good and succesful, enjoying long walks, holidays, good food and wine. Used to smoke a good few years ago and had the odd one here and there. Was recently single and had started seeing a new lovely lady.

Then after being to a rugby match in Nov 2014, where we lost yet again, I found in needed to pee all the time and annoyed the row of people when I had to get up and down every 10 mins. I had thought I was peeing a bit more perhaps over the previous year but not enough for me to query it. I thought it was because I was getting older. Anyway went to doctors who checked prostate and told it was fine and he made an appointment for a flow check. This I did and again results fine. I basically then forgot about it and as a man didn't like going to doctors anyway, although there's 4 in the family circle.

In Feb I thought the problem was back and went to doctors again. Checked prostate and he wasn't concerned and suggest a PSA check. was told it was a bit controversial as you can get false positives and positive falsies. I though, well its not worth getting, what would it tell me and again left it. In March I was reminded by my ex partner that my dad was treated for it (which I'd forgotten) and so felt I should have the test. On 22nd April I had the test and next day the doctor phoned to say it was 294, which was high and he was making an appointment in Dundee for further tests. On 29th April I had biopsy taken and on 12/5/15 it was confirmed 12 out of 12 affected and a Gleason of 8. Even at that time I thought it was a bladder problem and the words Prostate Cancer came out of the blue. I was shaken obviously and appointments were made for the trinity of scans- Bone, MRI & CAT. Just got on with things and tried not to think about it as what can you do. I don't have all the information, which I always like to have. Had appointment with consultant who confirmed T3 Locally advanced in bones. Bugger.

Started  Pills 56 Cyproterone Acetate on 15/5/15 and Triptorelin Injection on 29/5/15. Next injection on 29/8/15. The consultant has said it will be very likely I'll start chemotherapy in November. That's it really. Luckily so far no side affects apart from being a bit tired which I put down as not sleeping well. I guess probably too early?

I've been looking at the posts and everyone seems to know so much and helpful on passing on the information. There's a lot of information to take in and sometimes hard to follow all the threads. I've had the tool pack which I found very helpful and a good bedtime read.

You know, I don't really know what to ask or say. I've got that mental attitude that, ok this is the next step I've got to take- injection, chemo and see what goes. I've to eat better all in moderation, exercise a bit more, long walks, keep working and get on with it. Of course then physiological, I get the odd bang and think what the bugger, this isn't fair. I've told my brothers and sister and a couple of very good friends and my business partner and of course everyone is very supportive. Having a doctor in the family helps as well. Also have to say Tayside NHS has been good with everything falling into place.

So what I am my asking. I don't really know but I am sure I'll get the hang of asking questions and looking for opinions.

My first and only question for now is for partners of diagnosed.

When I was diagnosed, my first reaction was to stop seeing the lovely lady I had just started seeing. She has two wee girls and she didn't need someone who was ill in her life, after all what could I ever give her but be a burden. She agreed and that was it. Then just recently I met her again and we got on so well and had many, many conversations about family, future and all things cancer. She has say she would like us to pick where we left off. My question is to partners is- This is going to be difficult isn't it? I know no one can tell me and everyone's reaction can be so different. My view is I'll take what comes and going to fight for everything and time I have. But its going to be difficult for and her children and that I cannot bear.

Anyway that is enough rambling for now and many thanks in advance for your kindness, help and opinions I know I'll get from this community.

Thank Yo

Steven

User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 19:37

Hi Steven,

Welcome to the site, though as we always say, no one really wants to be here. I can reassure you about the wealth of advice, experience and support here that will come your way. A cancer diagnosis turns your life upside down and it is hard initially to find any equilibrium. Good your medics are considering early chemo, much recent research seems to suggest this is this is the best way forward for cancer that has spread outside of the prostate and into other organs or bones especially if you are fit and able to tolerate chemo.

I admire that you have thought already about the impact this will all have on your relationship because there is no doubt it will have an effect but of course , you can't know the progress or outcome of your disease and there are many men here who are surviving, living good quality lives and continuing relationships though change is inevitable.

You are already doing the best possible thing by being honest with your lady friend. The disease and treatment may well effect how much you can give to the relationship and it sounds as if you have already decided you want it to have a minimal effect on her and her children.

I don't like cliches but the phrase 'taking one day at a time' springs to mind ! You can't know the future, but then none of us can. I lost my partner to PCa last September, but his was a particularly agressive variant of the disease and we had some rotton luck along the way. It turned our relationship upside down, I will be honest, but we were living together , different from your situation. All you can do is to be upfront with your friend, so she has the option of making choices along the way about how to proceed, it is great you are able to talk about your situation and relationship as your post says, that, to me, is the most important thing. I wish you the very best with your treatment, do keep us updated.

Fiona.

User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 19:53

Hello Steven and welcome from me too.

You've been looking through posts so know what a lovely bunch of people there is on here so I won't bother to repeat it.

There is a wealth of information on here from people who have been where you are now and when you have formulated your questions somebody will know the answer.

I admire your honesty with your lady friend. I hope you can work something out between you. She knows the score (as  it is at the moment admittedly) and hopefully will be fully supportive of you further down the line when you know exactly where you stand. In any case, you have the knowledge that she cares enough not to have run away when you told her your news so that's positive.

I do understand though that as she has children you won't want to cause her and them any stress.
As Fiona says, one day at time.

Good luck with the treatment path you've chosen.

Keep posting and asking questions - it's what we do best
Sandra

Edited by member 21 Jul 2015 at 19:55  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 20:00

Hi Steven
Sorry that you found yourself on here mate , and have been burdened with PCa as I we all have , both men and women realistically. You can ask ANYTHING on here and will get really good honest opinions and support. The ladies on here know more about prostate cancer than the men put together it seems.
I read your post twice , and my biggest fear was that you and your lady could adjust the relationship along the way depending on how poorly you may or may not become. But it's hard for kids especially young ones to make those adjustments. So maybe you did the right thing. But she is a grown woman , and they tend to put their children first as we know , so she has made the decision mate that it feels right for her and the family. So best of luck and good wishes
Chris

User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 21:26
Hi mate , your situation is not a million miles from mine, diagnosed age 49 last November , PSA 342. I have had chemo, radiotherapy, continued hormone injections plus biclutamide since. Got through chemo and RT with minimal physical side effects although mentally I sm now finding things tougher. I have run a couple of marathons plus a 62 mile race 10 days ago so it's not the end by a long way. It sounds like you are on the same path so hopefully you will get through it fine. My only real advice is be and do what you want as initially I allowed myself to feel down on fear of what was happening where as in reality I could make myself happy just by thinking I was!!! Lots of good people on this site, if you have any questions ask away.

Take care, kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 22 Jul 2015 at 05:37

hi toast

already lots of info and support, the biggest thing I seem to notice that we will all have a different reaction to the treatment even if some folks are very similar in diagnoses, you seem to be a very caring, thoghtful person with a terrific will to lets get on with life, if this is what you are going to chuck at me then I will handle it

good to read you have rallied some support around you, its difficult for them as they dont always seem to know what to say, so if one of them makes a comment a bit out of place dont take the hump with em

all the best with the treatment and dont forget to update

nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 26 Jul 2015 at 23:40

You have been open with your lady friend and her with you. That's the best possible way to continue. It sounds as though she cares, about you. Whether as friends or more, you can have a future together. I hope it works out for you both and her children.

Remember, you should still have a good many years ahead of you, and the children will soon be adults. Good luck!

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 08:29

Freeze chunks of fresh pineapple to suck on during infusions - it helps protect your taste buds from too much damage.

Good news on the PSA front :-)

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 08:45

Good luck with the rest of the chemo toast.
Hope the SE remain very low

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 09:44
I've not posted mush recently and missed this post. I'm so sorry to read your story, I'm glad you've been able to sort things out with your now partner, many of us feel the need for someone to talk to, someone who loves us and cares about our wellbeing and it sounds like you have found someone who can be that person, good news.

The drop in PSA is magnificent, delighted to read that. I think the consultant is right to order chemo as soon as possible, you need that PSA to get right down and as soon as possible. I think you are lucky to still have some libido and function, my OH lost his right away on HT but after 39 years of marriage, it hasn't caused a rift just a feeling of sadness from us both. I'm sure Alahays will advise on any helpful tactics to keep it going.

On the subject of chemo, people have given you great advise and it's true that no one can predict how you'll cope with it but being younger will stand you in good stead.

My OH has advanced cancer too, it might help to know that even with a Gleason score of 10 he's approaching his five year point, something we thought we'd never see. Keeping positive is a good thing, but I must admit that when people said that to us at the outset I would secretly want to punch them! It's about quality of life though, enjoying every day and appreciating the good things, that's positivity and its wholly beneficial.

Anyway just popped by to say hello and wish you well on your treatment.

Devonmaid

User
Posted 20 Sep 2015 at 17:06
Steven

good to hear from you again and to hear things are moving on at a pace and in the rght direction. PSA down by so much is a really great start. Going onto the early chemo is also considered to be the best move for someone with your diagnosis and staging. Some NHS areas have started to adopt this gold standard treatment as recommended from recently published trial results even though it has not got through the formal approval. Others sadly have not.

Several Men who post quite regularly have been through this irun and Siness are two and both of them are doing great. You could check out their profiles if you want to read more.

It sounds like you and your partner have found a really good way of talking about the PCa when either of you feels the need. I think it is good and healthy that you have times when you just don't need to.

I wish you all the very best

xx

Mo

User
Posted 20 Sep 2015 at 17:45

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Many thanks for the tips all
Deveonmaid- who or what is alahays?

Steven

alathays is a member on here toast and is often mentioned as a member whose profile is beneficial.

Edited by member 20 Sep 2015 at 19:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Oct 2015 at 08:26

Hi Toast
I hope it continues to go well for you . Sounds like you're being very brave to me. Patrick Stewart has no hair and he commanded the Enterprise . So if he can do it .
Sandra I do the weekly ironing every Sunday . you could slip yours into the never ending bottom of the basket x
Chris

User
Posted 26 Jan 2016 at 16:21
Hi Steven

glad to hear the chemo has progressed pretty well, PSA less than 10 from a 3 figure start looks good too.

I am not up to date with latest Oncology post chemo, your post got caught up in weekend traffic so I am replying to move you back up the board hoping that one of our members will post you something more meaningful.

My very best wishes

xx

Mo

User
Posted 04 Feb 2016 at 13:26

Hi Toast
That was a brilliant post and totally sums up your bravery and feelings and lifestyle choices. I think we are all suffering just as much mentally as you say , as well as physically with the cancer. You have echoed how I feel inside. Yes there are others worse off than you , but at the moment you are worse off than me ?? We are all here to help and support each other so please keep posting.
I salute you and hope the best for you
Chris

User
Posted 04 Feb 2016 at 14:02

Toast it doesn't really matter who is worse of than anyone else does it, because really you can only worry about yourself.

Yes it may seem as if you are luckier than others and perhaps you are but all you can do is concentrate on what is happening in your life.

There may showers along the way, perhaps some will be heavier than others, but with the umbrella of love and care that will be opened over you, you'll get through it.

The next two months are going to seem so long for you but no point in worrying over what might be going to happen in the future (futile to say that I know since it's very hard to get an idea out of your head once it's in there - especially during the sleepless times) but you spoil the "today" that you have.

Fingers crossed for you for an excellent result

User
Posted 04 Feb 2016 at 18:22
Steven

thanks so much for your update which is really honest and open as your posts always are.

So chemo is over for now and you have managed to work right through it, keep active in the bedroom, not lose your head hair and feel pretty good in yourself. That is fantastic and probably is reflected in the tumbling PSA figures you have had.

The two month wait must be a mental torture, I can't say I understand because that is not possible but I can say I try to imagine just how difficult it is. One way to look at it is that your body has just had the equivalent of a major battle going on inside it, so two months of relative peace and re mustering is essential to prepare for whatever comes next. To give you the best chance to force the enemy to retreat for a good long while. That could mean any number of treatment options and a timespan that seems to be as individual to each man as this disease itself. So second guessing is not really productive.

The scans will show just how much the chemo and HT have affected the actual tumours. Many men see a really big difference post chemo with fewer and smaller tumours and others see no real change but no progression at all. Remember as well that chemo continues to work for a little while after that treatment ends so waiting a month or so for the scans is not unusual. I believe SiNess' Oncologist says that there are two things that he counts as success in any treatment. No progression or some regression and/ or a reducing PSA and to get both is a really good result.

So enjoy your Italian wines (I am extremely partial to a glass or two of Amerone myself) keep up the sensible diet and exercise and have as much fun as you can with that lovley lady of yours and also with your families. Then the time might go by much quicker than you expected. I do hope so.

My very best wishes as always

xxx

Mo

User
Posted 04 Feb 2016 at 18:36

Hi Steven,

Great update, bet your glad it is finished.

When i finished Chemo i went straight on to Abbi, i think my Onco felt the need with the amount of spread i had. If i was to do it all again i would have done what Mo said, take a break and recharge the batteries.

Si

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 19:37

Hi Steven,

Welcome to the site, though as we always say, no one really wants to be here. I can reassure you about the wealth of advice, experience and support here that will come your way. A cancer diagnosis turns your life upside down and it is hard initially to find any equilibrium. Good your medics are considering early chemo, much recent research seems to suggest this is this is the best way forward for cancer that has spread outside of the prostate and into other organs or bones especially if you are fit and able to tolerate chemo.

I admire that you have thought already about the impact this will all have on your relationship because there is no doubt it will have an effect but of course , you can't know the progress or outcome of your disease and there are many men here who are surviving, living good quality lives and continuing relationships though change is inevitable.

You are already doing the best possible thing by being honest with your lady friend. The disease and treatment may well effect how much you can give to the relationship and it sounds as if you have already decided you want it to have a minimal effect on her and her children.

I don't like cliches but the phrase 'taking one day at a time' springs to mind ! You can't know the future, but then none of us can. I lost my partner to PCa last September, but his was a particularly agressive variant of the disease and we had some rotton luck along the way. It turned our relationship upside down, I will be honest, but we were living together , different from your situation. All you can do is to be upfront with your friend, so she has the option of making choices along the way about how to proceed, it is great you are able to talk about your situation and relationship as your post says, that, to me, is the most important thing. I wish you the very best with your treatment, do keep us updated.

Fiona.

User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 19:53

Hello Steven and welcome from me too.

You've been looking through posts so know what a lovely bunch of people there is on here so I won't bother to repeat it.

There is a wealth of information on here from people who have been where you are now and when you have formulated your questions somebody will know the answer.

I admire your honesty with your lady friend. I hope you can work something out between you. She knows the score (as  it is at the moment admittedly) and hopefully will be fully supportive of you further down the line when you know exactly where you stand. In any case, you have the knowledge that she cares enough not to have run away when you told her your news so that's positive.

I do understand though that as she has children you won't want to cause her and them any stress.
As Fiona says, one day at time.

Good luck with the treatment path you've chosen.

Keep posting and asking questions - it's what we do best
Sandra

Edited by member 21 Jul 2015 at 19:55  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 20:00

Hi Steven
Sorry that you found yourself on here mate , and have been burdened with PCa as I we all have , both men and women realistically. You can ask ANYTHING on here and will get really good honest opinions and support. The ladies on here know more about prostate cancer than the men put together it seems.
I read your post twice , and my biggest fear was that you and your lady could adjust the relationship along the way depending on how poorly you may or may not become. But it's hard for kids especially young ones to make those adjustments. So maybe you did the right thing. But she is a grown woman , and they tend to put their children first as we know , so she has made the decision mate that it feels right for her and the family. So best of luck and good wishes
Chris

User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 21:26
Hi mate , your situation is not a million miles from mine, diagnosed age 49 last November , PSA 342. I have had chemo, radiotherapy, continued hormone injections plus biclutamide since. Got through chemo and RT with minimal physical side effects although mentally I sm now finding things tougher. I have run a couple of marathons plus a 62 mile race 10 days ago so it's not the end by a long way. It sounds like you are on the same path so hopefully you will get through it fine. My only real advice is be and do what you want as initially I allowed myself to feel down on fear of what was happening where as in reality I could make myself happy just by thinking I was!!! Lots of good people on this site, if you have any questions ask away.

Take care, kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 22 Jul 2015 at 05:37

hi toast

already lots of info and support, the biggest thing I seem to notice that we will all have a different reaction to the treatment even if some folks are very similar in diagnoses, you seem to be a very caring, thoghtful person with a terrific will to lets get on with life, if this is what you are going to chuck at me then I will handle it

good to read you have rallied some support around you, its difficult for them as they dont always seem to know what to say, so if one of them makes a comment a bit out of place dont take the hump with em

all the best with the treatment and dont forget to update

nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 22 Jul 2015 at 07:35

Hi Steven reading your post really annoys me that Doctors do not do the psa test when someone comes with symptoms of pc, , wish you all the best with your treatment Andy

User
Posted 22 Jul 2015 at 11:43

Hi All,

It's only been overnight and to get such  positive and thoughtful reply's is humbling and so overwhelming. It already looks like I've made to right choice to come into this circle of people thrown together.

Been thinking overnight of what to ask and wasn't sure weather to reply individual or out there, guess I'll probably do both.

Its only been two months but so far I haven't had any, what id term expected side affects. No real tiredness, hot flushes, sweating and libido appears to work when required. So all good so far. But I keep thinking is it too early and will it be more likely to happen following next injection?

Other concern is Chemotherpay. I've been advised by doc that whilst no one knows what reaction will be that they can give injections on the Friday and just wee what happens. I am a sole practitioner in an office within a group and although would love to win the lottery and retire, I need to keep working not just for a living but also keep me focused. Has anyone had little or no side affects from Chemo or should I expect time off. My business partner is very supportive and  I know that everyone will help out. I think Iam expecting that I'll have to take time off anyway.

Anyone any idea?

Thanks again all

Steven 

User
Posted 22 Jul 2015 at 11:49

Hi Teddy,

Good to meet you. I think that that may have been me. When I first went in he did mention it and gave me a leaflet to read. I immediately thought I would bother because of the false negative's suggestion and at that stage Pca wasn't even a thought. I should have read the leaflet more closely but I think that's just me.

Steven

User
Posted 22 Jul 2015 at 11:52

Hi Nidge,

A good point at not taking the hump. As things settle down I will expect my family to have loads of questions and well meaning advise, which I have always tried to ignore in the past. I'll remember to think that the mean well, which they do!

Steven

User
Posted 22 Jul 2015 at 11:55

Hi Kev,

Thanks for your wishes. Not sure if I could do sort mileage but looking forward to starting getting on the bike again after so long. I know Iam to exercise and do resistance training and my new friend does yoga - so something else new. Look forward for exchanging views. steven

User
Posted 22 Jul 2015 at 11:59

Hi Chris,

Your right when it comes to womankind and that they know what they want and how to achieve it. My friend is a strong, funny and caring woman, which is going to be fun to find out about.

Thank you for taking time out to reply and I hope in the future that I will be able to pass my experience on. Steven.

User
Posted 22 Jul 2015 at 12:01

Hi Sandra,

Many thanks for welcoming me to the fold and kind words. I think I have many conversations ahead! Steven

User
Posted 22 Jul 2015 at 12:04

Hi Fiona, and gosh I am so sorry for what you have gone though. It has sounded a horrible time and was a distressing read. Once again thank you for your kind words and I will keep you updated. Steven

User
Posted 22 Jul 2015 at 16:28
Hi Steven,

welcome aboard the ship nobody really want to sail on, having found yourself here though I wanted to add my hellos from the Ladies bench.

Where to start on your post ..the drugs you are on are not the commonest ones we hear about being prescribed although they are both in a common group of drugs often used for T3 PCa as a combination hormone treatment. The first Cyproterone acetate (we tend to use brand names its easier so Cyprotax maybe?) is a drug to stop or seriously curtail the production of testosterone which is the main food that PCa thrives on, Initially it is usually given as a one off course of tablets to be taken before and after your first injection of a hormone therapy drug that works in a slighty different way. The tablets help to prevent a condition called tumour flare which is basically the cancer going crazy because it does not like anyone trying to mess with it and it fights back big time. It is a very painful experience and one you will be glad not to have.

Once the injection takes effect the cancer should start to calm down, shrink and with a great result, be stopped in its tracks for as long as the injections keep working. For some men that can be ages as in several or many years. The tablets are usually discontinued after the first injection ..well at least for the time being. If at any stage you show signs that you are becoming resistant to the single HT then a drug like Cyprotax or Casodex can be re introduced.

Recent trial results have shown that Men with bone Mets and a T3 staging benefit from hitting the PCa really hard at the outset and so chemotherapy is given as soon as it can be. What happens after that is really dependent on how well things have gone to that stage. You should read Kev IRUN's proflie and also SiNess as they both have similar start ups to yourself. I am delighted to say that both are doing great and are active here on the forum, Kev has already posted for you, he is an inspirational man to say the very least. I am sure Si will post when he has a quieter time, he has just been the maestro behind a hugely successful charity event for his twin daughter's school. We all call him Si Superman stay with us, read his profile and you will understand why.

I am wondering if you are receiving private treatment here in UK or NHS? it shouldn't make too much difference but experience would make me say that in some regions it really does. I ask because of the drugs you are getting and also because of the early chemo which is yet to manifest in all areas on the NHS.

as for SEs well they vary so much if you are incredibly fortunate you may retain some libido for a while, but that is quite rare it tends to just fade along with other things coming into play like man boobs "moobs" hot flushes and tiredness/muscle wastage etc. There are drugs to minimise the moobs and breast soreness, keeping fit and healthy helps with tiredness and weakness but I am afraid not much works for the libido if anything. However read another profile Alathays, there is always an exception to every situation.

Your new lady friend may be someone who sees you as a great bloke to be with, someone she can share happy times with and someone who provides a fun and caring environment for her children. If you find you can really talk to each other about everything and that you can be 100% honest with each other about how things are, and might be going forward in terms of your developing relationship, then that is a great start.

Sometimes when a woman finds someone who she thinks could become her soul mate and best friend having a full on sexual relationship is not the be all and end all. Nature is the mother of all invention and there are things that can become an acceptable substitute if necessary. A lot depends on how valued the other components of the relationship are.

One thing I would add, and this is entirely my personal point of view, If I met someone who made me happy, who's company I enjoyed, whose friendship I truly valued, who made me feel good about myself, who accepted and cared for my children as if they were his own, and who told me at the start (or at least as soon as he was aware) that he had cancer or another terminal or very serious illness which meant the relationship may not develop fully sexually, or may have a rocky road ahead in terms of well being. I would first and foremost be absolutely thankful for his forthrightness and honesty, also for his selflessness as it would make me feel that this ia a man who I can trust and who would be loyal to me and my children , I would most definitely want to try and make that relationship prosper any way that I could providing support and love in the good times and the bad.

As for chemo and working, If you are able to be flexible It can be done but most people tkae the time off so that they are under no real pressure from that source. If your business partner is happy for you to work when you can and maybe from home that might work. Some men sail through chemo like nothing was happening others have a much more tiring and debilitating time. It may depend on the type of chemo, doasge for each session and the total number of sessions. The normal is Docetaxel 75mg given as an infusion every 3 weeks for anything from 6 - 10 cycles along with steroids. The general trend on well being during treatment tends to be one week ok, one week iffy and one week ok again. It does vary as with all these things.

I hope I have not been too voiciferous, those that know me will tell you I am one wordy lady!!

a warm welcome from me

xx

Mo

edited for typos and I may still have missed some!!

Edited by member 22 Jul 2015 at 16:37  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Jul 2015 at 21:51

Sorry you are here but this is where you need to be for really great support. I'm not going to offer any relationship advise but can reassure you the region you are in provides excellent care from the top down.  I was diagnosed 10 months ago, we likely have the same consultant, she (hint) & her team are fantastic and that's also the feedback I get from the entire local support group I now attend in Perth. If I can help on this front PM me.

Mike

User
Posted 26 Jul 2015 at 20:56
Hi Mo,

Thanks for all the advise. I'll try and get to grips with medical terms. The pills were cyprotrat and injection decapeptyl sr, all this done by Tayside NHS. So far the consultant has been great and answering all the questions. As for SE's as I say so far so good with none really, touch wood, but just waiting and see what happens. The chemo worries me though.

And yes, I think she has to be a very special woman to take me on, despite the dx.

Thanks for now.

Steven

User
Posted 26 Jul 2015 at 23:40

You have been open with your lady friend and her with you. That's the best possible way to continue. It sounds as though she cares, about you. Whether as friends or more, you can have a future together. I hope it works out for you both and her children.

Remember, you should still have a good many years ahead of you, and the children will soon be adults. Good luck!

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 08 Sep 2015 at 13:21

Just thought I 'd do a quick update as its been almost six weeks since last being on - time does flyby. I wasn't sure about it but then I realised that no news is good news.

Have had my second decapeptyl SR injection last week. So far side affects have been minimal with only mild flushes 3-4 times a day but not every day. Sex drive, I think, has dipped but partner thinks its more psycholgical than physical, but think it maybe both. Physically no change, and I am keeping up fitness and work. Sometimes I even forget about the Pca, and its not the main topic of conversation over a glass of red with my partner!
Meant to mention that PSA had dropped to 214.9 after I had a test for the last consultation in July. Had blood test on Friday.

Next is hurdle is consultation this week.

I am crossing everything at the moment!

User
Posted 08 Sep 2015 at 17:45

Good to hear from you toast.

Good luck with next week's consultation

Edited by member 08 Sep 2015 at 18:56  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 07:26

Feeling like it's a bit real now. Had appointment with consultant and told PSA is at 40. We agreed to start chemo earlier than planned and first session started 9th October. As my SE have been minimal so far, touch wood, have been worried about next step but having been having lots of discussions with others decided that there's nothing to do but keep positive, fit and well.
I've found when I need to talk with partner about Pca, I do and when she needs to talk about it, we do and when we don't, we don't and get on with it. Trying to tidy Pca in a little corner of my brain and pull it out when I need to. I know i need to reduce work, which has been agreed with my partner and my business partners have been great and supportive. I know I need to keep strength up to reduce any tiredness and anything else that arises. Looking forward to doing more chores round the house!!

Anything else I should do? Anyone any advise on starting chemo and its effects?

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 08:29

Freeze chunks of fresh pineapple to suck on during infusions - it helps protect your taste buds from too much damage.

Good news on the PSA front :-)

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 08:45

Good luck with the rest of the chemo toast.
Hope the SE remain very low

User
Posted 18 Sep 2015 at 09:44
I've not posted mush recently and missed this post. I'm so sorry to read your story, I'm glad you've been able to sort things out with your now partner, many of us feel the need for someone to talk to, someone who loves us and cares about our wellbeing and it sounds like you have found someone who can be that person, good news.

The drop in PSA is magnificent, delighted to read that. I think the consultant is right to order chemo as soon as possible, you need that PSA to get right down and as soon as possible. I think you are lucky to still have some libido and function, my OH lost his right away on HT but after 39 years of marriage, it hasn't caused a rift just a feeling of sadness from us both. I'm sure Alahays will advise on any helpful tactics to keep it going.

On the subject of chemo, people have given you great advise and it's true that no one can predict how you'll cope with it but being younger will stand you in good stead.

My OH has advanced cancer too, it might help to know that even with a Gleason score of 10 he's approaching his five year point, something we thought we'd never see. Keeping positive is a good thing, but I must admit that when people said that to us at the outset I would secretly want to punch them! It's about quality of life though, enjoying every day and appreciating the good things, that's positivity and its wholly beneficial.

Anyway just popped by to say hello and wish you well on your treatment.

Devonmaid

User
Posted 20 Sep 2015 at 12:41

Steven

User
Posted 20 Sep 2015 at 17:06
Steven

good to hear from you again and to hear things are moving on at a pace and in the rght direction. PSA down by so much is a really great start. Going onto the early chemo is also considered to be the best move for someone with your diagnosis and staging. Some NHS areas have started to adopt this gold standard treatment as recommended from recently published trial results even though it has not got through the formal approval. Others sadly have not.

Several Men who post quite regularly have been through this irun and Siness are two and both of them are doing great. You could check out their profiles if you want to read more.

It sounds like you and your partner have found a really good way of talking about the PCa when either of you feels the need. I think it is good and healthy that you have times when you just don't need to.

I wish you all the very best

xx

Mo

User
Posted 20 Sep 2015 at 17:45

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Steven

alathays is a member on here toast and is often mentioned as a member whose profile is beneficial.

Edited by member 20 Sep 2015 at 19:07  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Oct 2015 at 02:05

Well that's a start this week. Had my pre assessment mid week at the hospital which strangely brought it all home to me that it's all real. Nurse was great at explaining things, then it hit at the hair loss. I know it's a side affect and consultant said there maybe some thinning but nurse said, no it's going to go but you could try I cold cap. Showed me it and I thought way not. Also mentioned all other SE's which I now try seriously. Didn't really like the shape of the day ward and didn't imagine myself there for one moment.My mood wasn't great for next couple of days in build up although OH tried best not to show her stress too. I did buy some very good hats though.

First session was Friday and once I got there and in position it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. Linked up and swilled around was fine and myself and OH just talked nonsense for 3 hours. The cold cap was the most uncomfortable thing ever and by end didn't want to do it again but have thought what's 3 hrs discomfort if it's my choice, so will continue. It been a couple of days now and no SE or anything and had good day mucking around with kids, doing chores, walking dogs, etc and trying to be positive. Kids went to bed, cooked tea, OH de-stressed will a couple of glasses of wine and in bed, me too much in head and can't sleep. I should be positive, my 21 day check list is all zero's at moment, no SE, psa down to 21.6 although was advised some hot spots on bones and CT scan was clear. So all good, right? Just can't help feeling it's all going too well and something is lurking round the corner. Think I'll do some ironing.

User
Posted 11 Oct 2015 at 06:02

Early days yet toast, and as usual for our members, a horrible position to be in but you are already looking into the positives.

Do you take the frozen pineapple sticks with you that Lyn often mentions? My grandson didn't lose his hair it thinned a bit and went like a brillo pad but it improved in time.

It's understandable that your wife was distressed, she'll hate seeing what you have to go through. You'll support each other I'm sure.

Good luck with the rest of it. Think of the end game, and what's a bit of hair (which will come back) if it helps kill the b****r.

All the best

Sandra

(PS my ironing builds up as it's a job I hate - I'll bring it round shall I ?)

User
Posted 11 Oct 2015 at 08:26

Hi Toast
I hope it continues to go well for you . Sounds like you're being very brave to me. Patrick Stewart has no hair and he commanded the Enterprise . So if he can do it .
Sandra I do the weekly ironing every Sunday . you could slip yours into the never ending bottom of the basket x
Chris

User
Posted 11 Oct 2015 at 09:53

Hi Steven,

Glad to hear the first chemo has gone well, stick with the cold cap it worked for me, but agree with you very uncomfortablehttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif

Looking at the time you posted that is one side of chemo i didn't like, wandering round the house at silly o'clock.

now i think i have spotted a link, i do the ironing on Sundays. so for all you guys that get asked to do the ironing you can now say NO it gives you metastatic prostate cancerhttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif

Hope it continues to go well for you

Si  

User
Posted 11 Oct 2015 at 10:49

Hhhhhmmmm, John has ironed on Sundays for our whole life.

Toast, my father-in-law had no major problems apart from his wife not letting him go to the pub in case he picked up an infection. Fingers crossed you have an easy time of it too

User
Posted 11 Oct 2015 at 13:18

Hope it continues to go so well as this start has revealed. It varies so much person to person.

I wash on Sundays but let the streaks naturally fall from my clothes and only iron if I really have to!

User
Posted 16 Oct 2015 at 19:54

I didn't do the frozen pineapple Johsan as I couldn't face it with the cold cap but will try next time. OH happy that the ironing fairies appear to have worked sometime during the night, she's hoping the vacuuming pixies will also appear sometime.
I know it's early but my SE checklist are all zero's at the moment. Happy days. Off to Northumberland for mid week break for birthday. I feel a good cigar (one only) but several good malts to celebrate!!

User
Posted 17 Dec 2015 at 18:14

Hi All,

Appears that Christmas is coming upon us and all the festivities are about to start. First Christmas with pca and almost seven months since dx - time sure flies in doesn't it when you have times on your mind! Thought I'd try and get a few issues out of my head before next week.

Had my fourth chemo session last week which has gone fine. Still got hair on my head, although seems to almost have disappeared elsewhere. My PSA has been dropping but only came down 0.5 to 14.7 from previous. Dr W says its nothing really to worry about as its still dropping and still in treatment. I am worried it should be lower. anyone any thoughts?

Getting tired now but think a lot to do with the hot flushes and night sweats which keeps me awake and interrupts the sleep, then I start to think about things when then keeps me awake more! Anyone know how to control the sweats, apart from keeping cool during the night with light covers, fan, cold water?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated and wish everyone well over the festive period

Steven

User
Posted 17 Dec 2015 at 20:44
Steven

Hi

First things first 4 chemos down the line with any PSA drop is ok. When the cancer actually responds to any treatment it fights like mad to re-establish itself and can push PSA up.

As to hair loss, it is common to lose all body hair and retain head hair..no idea why but someone will know.

Tiredness is also common your blood work might show anomalies all of which cause fatigue.

As long as you feel reasonably well most of the time then little else is important right now.

Best wishes

Xx

Mo

User
Posted 25 Jan 2016 at 19:37

Hi All,

Coming up to last chemo session and pre assessment mid week. The consultant had changed in the unit so meeting new one for first time. So ok, treatment going well, PSA down to under 10, SE flushes, sweats, tiredness and majority loss of libido but not always. Iam assuming I will get Bone scan and mri scans to checks mets etc, in fact I really want them. If all things well then it's continue HT injections and monitor PSA. I guess that the best outcome I can wish for.

However is there anything else I should be asking? Guess I'll only know once results are in. Does anyone else have recent experience of finishing chemo and then having the next step?

Anything would be helpful!

Cheers

Steven

User
Posted 26 Jan 2016 at 16:21
Hi Steven

glad to hear the chemo has progressed pretty well, PSA less than 10 from a 3 figure start looks good too.

I am not up to date with latest Oncology post chemo, your post got caught up in weekend traffic so I am replying to move you back up the board hoping that one of our members will post you something more meaningful.

My very best wishes

xx

Mo

User
Posted 04 Feb 2016 at 13:17

Well, that was the last chemo done and really don't know what I am feeling. The treatment was better then I thought, easier in fact. The chemo nurses were brilliant and actually made the days enjoyable. what's not the like sitting there chatting, having cups of tea and biscuits, lunch and reading time, very chilled. Think I am actually going to miss the routine.

Cold cap worked well and still have hair, rest seems to have disappeared, taste buds fine, no sickness, finger nails have suffered a wee bit and got tired as treatment went on but it was very manageable. Mentally going through it, was ok as it gave me focus on what is happening. OH gives me a talking to every so often when I got down and continued with a sex life albeit less than before chemo. I thought it was affecting me but then I agreed with her that most of it was head issues. I haven't changed my life style much - eating less red meat (apart for the South African restaurant I went to with friends - Mixed grill was enormous), more veg and fruit, less sugar, fruit juices and cut out other crap I would usually eat between meals. Weights gone up, but it winter. I still enjoy my italian red wine and malt whiskey, although less of it and cheese with biscuits by the fire. I am still working which is great for me and only take Fridays off, which gives a great weekend for walking, gardening and generally mucking around with kids. They haven't noticed anything going on apart from that I sweat a lot (with flushes) mostly when I've been cooking! so, all in all I can't grumble. - should I?

I now have 2 months before I see new consultant and MRI and Bone scans before that. Its a long period to go through without any information or focus. I do worry how it will affect me mentally and I will revert to what if this happens or doesn't happen, what can or can't I do. I feel its like being first dx again and having all the uncertainty. But I will cope and just get on with it, no choice really. This forum is great and has brought me a wealth information and advise from others but sometimes when I look at other peoples journeys I do wonder, shite, is that what is ahead, can I cope with that, are my strong enough. I just want the treatment to work and never have to think about it again for 10-20 years. I know some rain must fall, but I hope its just a short shower!

Just trying to get stuff out of my head and I know really that I am lucky compared to many others. Better do some work now!

User
Posted 04 Feb 2016 at 13:26

Hi Toast
That was a brilliant post and totally sums up your bravery and feelings and lifestyle choices. I think we are all suffering just as much mentally as you say , as well as physically with the cancer. You have echoed how I feel inside. Yes there are others worse off than you , but at the moment you are worse off than me ?? We are all here to help and support each other so please keep posting.
I salute you and hope the best for you
Chris

User
Posted 04 Feb 2016 at 14:02

Toast it doesn't really matter who is worse of than anyone else does it, because really you can only worry about yourself.

Yes it may seem as if you are luckier than others and perhaps you are but all you can do is concentrate on what is happening in your life.

There may showers along the way, perhaps some will be heavier than others, but with the umbrella of love and care that will be opened over you, you'll get through it.

The next two months are going to seem so long for you but no point in worrying over what might be going to happen in the future (futile to say that I know since it's very hard to get an idea out of your head once it's in there - especially during the sleepless times) but you spoil the "today" that you have.

Fingers crossed for you for an excellent result

User
Posted 04 Feb 2016 at 18:22
Steven

thanks so much for your update which is really honest and open as your posts always are.

So chemo is over for now and you have managed to work right through it, keep active in the bedroom, not lose your head hair and feel pretty good in yourself. That is fantastic and probably is reflected in the tumbling PSA figures you have had.

The two month wait must be a mental torture, I can't say I understand because that is not possible but I can say I try to imagine just how difficult it is. One way to look at it is that your body has just had the equivalent of a major battle going on inside it, so two months of relative peace and re mustering is essential to prepare for whatever comes next. To give you the best chance to force the enemy to retreat for a good long while. That could mean any number of treatment options and a timespan that seems to be as individual to each man as this disease itself. So second guessing is not really productive.

The scans will show just how much the chemo and HT have affected the actual tumours. Many men see a really big difference post chemo with fewer and smaller tumours and others see no real change but no progression at all. Remember as well that chemo continues to work for a little while after that treatment ends so waiting a month or so for the scans is not unusual. I believe SiNess' Oncologist says that there are two things that he counts as success in any treatment. No progression or some regression and/ or a reducing PSA and to get both is a really good result.

So enjoy your Italian wines (I am extremely partial to a glass or two of Amerone myself) keep up the sensible diet and exercise and have as much fun as you can with that lovley lady of yours and also with your families. Then the time might go by much quicker than you expected. I do hope so.

My very best wishes as always

xxx

Mo

User
Posted 04 Feb 2016 at 18:36

Hi Steven,

Great update, bet your glad it is finished.

When i finished Chemo i went straight on to Abbi, i think my Onco felt the need with the amount of spread i had. If i was to do it all again i would have done what Mo said, take a break and recharge the batteries.

Si

User
Posted 05 Feb 2016 at 12:12

Thanks one and all for the replies. You are right that there's not much to be done so taken your advise and head out to isle of Arran next week for a few days and also booked a week on isle of Lewis the week before results come in. Feel there's nothing like walking on the outer isle beaches in the driving wind and rain, hopefully with some sun, and cook some fresh seafood, have white wine and a laugh with the girls! Even work is beginning to take a back seat.

Again thanks for your continued posts.

Steven