Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostap side effects

User
Posted 27 Jul 2015 at 19:46

Hi - my first post...

I am 55 years of age and currently on a 2 year clinical trial having Prostap injections every 3 months - I am around 17 months into the treatment. I am interested to know of anyone else who has been on Prostap for a similar duration and to enquire about any side effects experienced...

The main symptom that hits me is probably best described as a 'malaise', a general feeling of being unwell - it affects your state of mind and motivation at times, limiting what I am able to undertake during the course of the day. Other side effects include hot flushes and weight gain (although my wife says I look better for that) and of course libido and sexual function.

Apart from enquiring about any side effects that members may be experiencing, I would be very interested to establish what steps are being taken to minimise any symptoms as a result of Prostap.

cheers

Edited by member 28 Jul 2015 at 18:23  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Jul 2015 at 22:13
Hi

I've been having Prostap injections since January 2013, 1 month interval at first, thereafter 3 monthly. I've certainly put on weight around the middle, have developed 'moobs' but not causing a problem for me.

I feel lethargic at times but that may be due to Radiotherapy, I get hot flushes from time to time, they were more often at the beginning of the treatment but are much less so now.

Arthur

User
Posted 04 Aug 2015 at 23:29

Hello
Just found your post.
I've been on Prostap now for 7 months. And stampede J for 6 months
Side effects are:
Hot flushes still every hour and affect my sleep - hopefully they reduce later.
Bloated tum and some diahorea , I'm also putting inches on my waist.
Bit more weary - I run and my times are significantly worse.
I think my ankle is becoming a little swollen

In terms of what one can do I try to wear loose clothing and try to keep cool, I run as much as I can and I find this helps with my stomach and weight (I'm saying steady with my weight).
I keep in touch with my onco who are open to varying doses to ease some of the worst discomforts.

Hope this helps

Paul

User
Posted 05 Aug 2015 at 07:25

I only had prostap for a short while, caused a rash and constant itching, moved me on to zoladex no rash or itching but more hot flushes and headaches

nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 05 Aug 2015 at 07:41

Hello Silver Lining.
Just to say Welcome really as we have no experience of Prostap.
Hope things settle down for you soon

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 05 Aug 2015 at 14:09

Bazza, you drink sherry??????

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Aug 2015 at 23:37

I've been on Prostap for 2 years and haven't as yet been tempted to reach for the sherry bottle.

Side effects: impotence, minor hot flushes, weight static overall but maybe a bit of increase around the waist. My current worry is the risk of cognitive impairment, but I think it's a more of a risk than current reality.

Haven't done much to try to alleviate specific symptoms, but have made usual dietary changes - more greens, minimal dairy, less red meat, more plant protein and more oily fish, less alcohol. Still trying to take more exercise in an organised way. Take POMI-T.

User
Posted 12 Aug 2015 at 18:13

oh, by the way, where do u get the POMI-T from...not used it yet due to prohibitive cost

cheers

User
Posted 12 Aug 2015 at 18:28
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 27 Jul 2015 at 22:13
Hi

I've been having Prostap injections since January 2013, 1 month interval at first, thereafter 3 monthly. I've certainly put on weight around the middle, have developed 'moobs' but not causing a problem for me.

I feel lethargic at times but that may be due to Radiotherapy, I get hot flushes from time to time, they were more often at the beginning of the treatment but are much less so now.

Arthur

User
Posted 04 Aug 2015 at 23:29

Hello
Just found your post.
I've been on Prostap now for 7 months. And stampede J for 6 months
Side effects are:
Hot flushes still every hour and affect my sleep - hopefully they reduce later.
Bloated tum and some diahorea , I'm also putting inches on my waist.
Bit more weary - I run and my times are significantly worse.
I think my ankle is becoming a little swollen

In terms of what one can do I try to wear loose clothing and try to keep cool, I run as much as I can and I find this helps with my stomach and weight (I'm saying steady with my weight).
I keep in touch with my onco who are open to varying doses to ease some of the worst discomforts.

Hope this helps

Paul

User
Posted 05 Aug 2015 at 07:25

I only had prostap for a short while, caused a rash and constant itching, moved me on to zoladex no rash or itching but more hot flushes and headaches

nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 05 Aug 2015 at 07:41

Hello Silver Lining.
Just to say Welcome really as we have no experience of Prostap.
Hope things settle down for you soon

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 05 Aug 2015 at 11:54
Hi

I'm 53 and have been on Prostap for about the same time as you. I have weight gain of around a stone, a complete loss of libido and serious gyrocomastia which I get around by using MeFix as tit tape. I often get very fatigued around 3pm although this isn't all the time and the hot flushes that I used to get quite often only very rarely, thankfully happen. The drug began to fail me quite early on and I was put back on Casodex as a maximum androgen blockade but this only worked for a couple of months so I am just on 3 monthly Prostap injections administered every 10 instead of 12 weeks due to my bodys' predisposition to produce testosterone at the rate of a 30 year old! My PSA was, when last tested eight weeks ago, 1.55 and I await a meeting with my Onco next week to establish whether I should go on the Spartan trial.

What I can tell you is that I do not subscribe to special diets or exercise. I drink wine, beer and copious amounts of my favourite Manzanilla sherry. I travel extensively on short breaks because at the moment I can and although the future still worries me to death (because it does mean 'death') I am far more at peace with my lot than I was when first diagnosed five and a half years ago.

Go well.

Bazza

User
Posted 05 Aug 2015 at 14:09

Bazza, you drink sherry??????

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Aug 2015 at 15:05
Bone dry Hidalgo Manzanilla. Must be from Sanlucar de Barrameda. It's nothing like Granny's Christmas tipple of Harvey's Bristol Cream!
User
Posted 05 Aug 2015 at 18:11

Room temp or the trendier chilled fad?

User
Posted 05 Aug 2015 at 18:44

Thanks for your story Bazza!

Was it your PSA that started rising when you said that the Prostap failed?

Also, I have not heard of the 'Spartan' trial - what exactly is this?

You have a good sense of determination!

Kevin

User
Posted 05 Aug 2015 at 18:45

I used that quote just before toasting the Bride & Groom at my daughters wedding recently :)

User
Posted 05 Aug 2015 at 18:59
Always chilled but have been drinking it like that for 30 years!
User
Posted 05 Aug 2015 at 19:02
The only thing that can rise when on hormones is your PSA!

Spartan info: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01946204

User
Posted 11 Aug 2015 at 23:37

I've been on Prostap for 2 years and haven't as yet been tempted to reach for the sherry bottle.

Side effects: impotence, minor hot flushes, weight static overall but maybe a bit of increase around the waist. My current worry is the risk of cognitive impairment, but I think it's a more of a risk than current reality.

Haven't done much to try to alleviate specific symptoms, but have made usual dietary changes - more greens, minimal dairy, less red meat, more plant protein and more oily fish, less alcohol. Still trying to take more exercise in an organised way. Take POMI-T.

User
Posted 12 Aug 2015 at 17:55

Many thanks for the info Bazza!

Interesting article re: Spartan Trial - very best of luck with this!

cheers

User
Posted 12 Aug 2015 at 18:08

Thanks for this Dartview

I find that my thought processes have diminished somewhat (sometimes feel like a rabbit caught in a cars headlights!) - this fluctuates day to day.

For the first time, I have started to experience a stiffening (wait for it) of the joints - particularly in my fingers first thing in the morning...my wife attributes this to the hormones also (no sympathy there then)

cheers

User
Posted 12 Aug 2015 at 18:13

oh, by the way, where do u get the POMI-T from...not used it yet due to prohibitive cost

cheers

User
Posted 12 Aug 2015 at 18:28
User
Posted 12 Aug 2015 at 18:46

great - thanks for this info!

Kevin