I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Husband diagnosed

User
Posted 07 Sep 2015 at 23:09
Hi all. My husband has just been diagnosed with PC withPSA 133. DRE done and doc said it's spread so no cure. Sent him for bone scan on 16th September and he's been put on hormone therapy. I am so worried. Not sure what to expect. Treatment and prognosis. Not got that much confidence so far as GP phoned him at home. When he was alone to tell him he had cancer! Any comments would be appreciated. X
User
Posted 07 Sep 2015 at 23:09
Hi all. My husband has just been diagnosed with PC withPSA 133. DRE done and doc said it's spread so no cure. Sent him for bone scan on 16th September and he's been put on hormone therapy. I am so worried. Not sure what to expect. Treatment and prognosis. Not got that much confidence so far as GP phoned him at home. When he was alone to tell him he had cancer! Any comments would be appreciated. X
User
Posted 08 Sep 2015 at 01:05

Hi Eileen,

I'm really sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis.  It must be very worrying for you. 

You have come to the best place to find information and support, there are some wonderful people here who are always ready to listen and offer good advice.

I just wanted to welcome you and send you my best wishes.

Steve x

User
Posted 08 Sep 2015 at 07:16
Hi Eileen, sorry you need to be here.

Firstly although not easy to do but don't panic. Download the toolkit from the PCUK site as that will give you most of what you need to know, don't Google around though as that has lots of misleading info on it .

I was diagnosed last October, I have had treatment and will remain incurable but for some time my quality of life has been and should be good so do not despair. Until your husband had the results of scans and biopsies you will not really know where he is.

Post ( and encourage your husband to post) anything here, questions ( there are no silly ones), thoughts rants and fears, we will all muck in to help when we can.

Take care, my thoughts are with you both.

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 08 Sep 2015 at 07:22
Hi Eileen,

I would echo what Kevin said, download the toolkit or order online here and do wait until you get the full diagnosis. Some tough times ahead for both you and your husband but us ladies can be there all the way for our men, make sure you go to all appointments and take a notebook and pen with you and write everything down as sometimes when you are worried/shocked everything can go in one ear and out the other. You will find some huge support on this forum so do keep posting.

Best wishes,

Trish xx

User
Posted 08 Sep 2015 at 07:29
Hi Eileen

Sorry that you find yourself here. As Trish mentioned, there are plenty of wives on this forum - my husband doesn't post but he's quite happy for me to pass on advice that I've received on here.

A notebook and pen at meetings, that's excellent advice - listening skills that's what women are good at - it's amazing that I can sit in at the same appointment as my husband yet hear completely different advice / prognosis!!

Remember that the is no such thing as a stupid question.

All the best

Maureen

"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think." A A Milne
User
Posted 08 Sep 2015 at 10:19

Hello Eileen
I was diagnosed with a high psa (234) in January and told it had spread and was therefore incurable. My GP phoned me at home too to tell me and referred me to a Urologist (later an Oncologist).
Medication is Hormone Therapy (prostap) injection every 3 months.
I'm also on an NHS Stampede Trial with some new drugs (Enzalutamide). The objective is to hit the PCa hard early on.
My PCa is currently at 0.03 so it is working.

I know it's easy for me to say don't worry because I and all my family did but as time goes on we now just get on with life.

I agree that it's good support to go with your husband to the appointments because I don't always pick up on everything and appreciate my wife's view on things.

You will get lots of support on here.

All the best
Paul

User
Posted 08 Sep 2015 at 10:37

Hi Eileen,

With a PSA of 133 it is likely that the cancer has moved outside of the prostate and so to start hormone therapy to slow down the cancer is a wise thing to do. An MRI scan and bone scan will determine how far the cancer has reached. As others have said, and you'll read in the toolkit, there are further treatments available to keep the cancer at bay, so although I understand that this is a worrying time, things are not as black as you fear.

Flexi

User
Posted 08 Sep 2015 at 13:18

Hello Eileen.

Another wife here.

The others have said it all really but I just wanted to welcome you.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 08 Sep 2015 at 14:30

Hi Eileen,

Good advice already given ! Difficult time waiting for outcomes of tests but then you will have more idea of treatment options. You will get lots of support here, I send you my best wishes,

Fiona.

User
Posted 16 Sep 2015 at 21:57
Hi Eileen,

Sorry to read your news. The start of this journey is always the worst, it does get somewhat easier as you see responses to your treatments.

My husband has high grade incurable prostate cancer(see my profile) and it has been 5 yrs since diagnosis. He continued working full time and leading a very active life. We still have treatment options in the box so please don't despair and stay positve.

I know there are others on here who Have been responding to treatment longer than us.

Don't lose hope.

Lesley xx

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 08 Sep 2015 at 01:05

Hi Eileen,

I'm really sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis.  It must be very worrying for you. 

You have come to the best place to find information and support, there are some wonderful people here who are always ready to listen and offer good advice.

I just wanted to welcome you and send you my best wishes.

Steve x

User
Posted 08 Sep 2015 at 07:16
Hi Eileen, sorry you need to be here.

Firstly although not easy to do but don't panic. Download the toolkit from the PCUK site as that will give you most of what you need to know, don't Google around though as that has lots of misleading info on it .

I was diagnosed last October, I have had treatment and will remain incurable but for some time my quality of life has been and should be good so do not despair. Until your husband had the results of scans and biopsies you will not really know where he is.

Post ( and encourage your husband to post) anything here, questions ( there are no silly ones), thoughts rants and fears, we will all muck in to help when we can.

Take care, my thoughts are with you both.

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 08 Sep 2015 at 07:22
Hi Eileen,

I would echo what Kevin said, download the toolkit or order online here and do wait until you get the full diagnosis. Some tough times ahead for both you and your husband but us ladies can be there all the way for our men, make sure you go to all appointments and take a notebook and pen with you and write everything down as sometimes when you are worried/shocked everything can go in one ear and out the other. You will find some huge support on this forum so do keep posting.

Best wishes,

Trish xx

User
Posted 08 Sep 2015 at 07:29
Hi Eileen

Sorry that you find yourself here. As Trish mentioned, there are plenty of wives on this forum - my husband doesn't post but he's quite happy for me to pass on advice that I've received on here.

A notebook and pen at meetings, that's excellent advice - listening skills that's what women are good at - it's amazing that I can sit in at the same appointment as my husband yet hear completely different advice / prognosis!!

Remember that the is no such thing as a stupid question.

All the best

Maureen

"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think." A A Milne
User
Posted 08 Sep 2015 at 09:23
Hi Eileen and welcome

As others have said you will find a lot of help, support and encouragement here, I certainly have.

When you say the doctor said there was no cure - was it your GP or the Oncologist? Has your husband had a biopsy? has radiotherapy or have other forms of treatment been mentioned? Sorry for the questions but these may help you focus or direct your thinking process.

Keep posting as people will help you with your walk through this

Best wishes, Arthur

Edited by member 08 Sep 2015 at 15:47  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Sep 2015 at 10:19

Hello Eileen
I was diagnosed with a high psa (234) in January and told it had spread and was therefore incurable. My GP phoned me at home too to tell me and referred me to a Urologist (later an Oncologist).
Medication is Hormone Therapy (prostap) injection every 3 months.
I'm also on an NHS Stampede Trial with some new drugs (Enzalutamide). The objective is to hit the PCa hard early on.
My PCa is currently at 0.03 so it is working.

I know it's easy for me to say don't worry because I and all my family did but as time goes on we now just get on with life.

I agree that it's good support to go with your husband to the appointments because I don't always pick up on everything and appreciate my wife's view on things.

You will get lots of support on here.

All the best
Paul

User
Posted 08 Sep 2015 at 10:37

Hi Eileen,

With a PSA of 133 it is likely that the cancer has moved outside of the prostate and so to start hormone therapy to slow down the cancer is a wise thing to do. An MRI scan and bone scan will determine how far the cancer has reached. As others have said, and you'll read in the toolkit, there are further treatments available to keep the cancer at bay, so although I understand that this is a worrying time, things are not as black as you fear.

Flexi

User
Posted 08 Sep 2015 at 13:18

Hello Eileen.

Another wife here.

The others have said it all really but I just wanted to welcome you.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 08 Sep 2015 at 14:30

Hi Eileen,

Good advice already given ! Difficult time waiting for outcomes of tests but then you will have more idea of treatment options. You will get lots of support here, I send you my best wishes,

Fiona.

User
Posted 11 Sep 2015 at 21:09
Thank you
User
Posted 11 Sep 2015 at 21:18
Hi Arthur it was the urologist that told us there was no cure. He aaid that radiotherapy can be used if it's spread to bones. No biopsy done as he said treatment would be rhe aame anyway si not worth risk of infection. Thanks for your help
User
Posted 16 Sep 2015 at 21:21
Can't thank you all enough for your suppor. Means so much. X
User
Posted 16 Sep 2015 at 21:57
Hi Eileen,

Sorry to read your news. The start of this journey is always the worst, it does get somewhat easier as you see responses to your treatments.

My husband has high grade incurable prostate cancer(see my profile) and it has been 5 yrs since diagnosis. He continued working full time and leading a very active life. We still have treatment options in the box so please don't despair and stay positve.

I know there are others on here who Have been responding to treatment longer than us.

Don't lose hope.

Lesley xx

User
Posted 16 Sep 2015 at 23:13

I also wanted to say Hi and welcome it is pretty scary when you get the first news, hang on in there we are all here to help you or at least to give a shoulder to lean on.

We are still here 2 and a half years on with a much higher psa , come back and talk when you need to.

BFN

Julie x

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 19 Sep 2015 at 13:25
Thanks for your support. Consultant now going to operate after good news that the bone scan is clear . However only taking core out of tumour. Its blocking blasser so hubby admitted aand had catheter bin as kidneys were packing up. Anyone know anything about this procedure and recovery/outcome?