User
Posted 01 Oct 2015 at 08:25
Hi

I am only at the very start of this journey and looking for any assistance

Always regarded that didn't eat too bad

Probably too much meat but always pretty healthy

Now I wonder what I can do to improve my diet to help with prostrate

Drinking wise I drink alcohol but not too much

My main drink is black tea which I drink an awful lot of can't put precise figure as always seem to have cup in my hand

Coffee 3-4 cups a day with milk

Glass of milk 3-4 days a week

Do have a large intake of fluid but mainly black tea

Eating do have meat everyday but eat alot of veg and fruit

Yoghurts eat at least 2 a day sometimes more

Choc ice my indulgence of one a day but any ice cream

Why is dairy bad ?

Have cut down on bread

Seen about tomatoes broccoli and almonds all which I already eat

Gonna try green tea but why is it better than black tea ?

Wonder if anyone can help

Why cut caffeine down as decaff tea and coffee uses cancer causing chemical to remove caffeine?

Pomegranate juice tried it OK but can drink if would help - why does it ?

Why would cutting down on dairy help?

Any other things should eat drink or avoid

User
Posted 01 Oct 2015 at 08:44

Hello again Garry

I won't do the definite answers bit as there are many on here following diets just what we do (which if based on info gained here and on the web)

You could try increasing the amount of soya you take in.
Swap your cows milk for something like soya, again the same with yoghurt. (Alpro do a few flavoured ones and they aren't bad.

Swap at least some of your red meat for chicken and fish

Increase the amount of red fruits you eat. ie instead of green grapes have red, yellow grapefruit have red etc

Increase the amount of tomatoes you eat, add tomato puree to most dishes that will take it, as well as increase turmeric

I'm not sure there is much difference between black and green tea. If you look on the internet some say there isn't any difference, some say black is good some say green is good.
IF you are drinking a lot of tea perhaps cut down and substitute some of it for pomegranate.

I'm sure there will be many waiting to answer your question and they'll be along at some stage.

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 01 Oct 2015 at 10:34
Dear Garry

It depends how far that you want to go, in terms of changing your diet.

Some members on here follow the Jane Plant Diet ( she has written several books ) This is very plant based with 1 egg per week and no dairy.

I have read the book but found it too difficult to follow.

The advice above from Sandra is followed by a lot of us on here, mainly cutting back or out dairy.

Reducing red meat.

Lots of fruit and veg, especially broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage.

Increase red foods, like tomatoes, kidney beans, strawberries. ( small amount of red wine).

Drinking or taking pomegranate supplements.

Avoid burnt foods, like from a barbecue.

Lots of spices and black pepper.

This is just what we do, others will be able to give more pointers.

The reasons behind these recommendations are numerous and based upon research and opinions, such as dairy contains lots of hormones etc that have been fed to the cows or it is not natural to drink another animals milk.

Green veg contains lots of antioxidents that help fight the cancer cells.

many of these theories are not medically proven, but improving diet can only help you to get fitter and maintain a healthy weight, which helps in the fight against this disease.

Lots of talk about taking an aspirin too, so maybe something to discuss with gp at next appointment.

Good luck!

Alison

Edited by member 01 Oct 2015 at 10:35  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Oct 2015 at 16:56

Hi Garry

I (and my wife ) have gone Dairy free.

We decided to do that, having read "The Plant Programme" by Prof. Jane Plant CBE. a Cancer sufferer herself.

Have a look in Amazon, it is well worth a read, you have nothing to lose,and its filled with loads of info. and many recipes.

It is perhaps a bit contraversal in as much that she cuts out "anything thats Dairy" which in itself means big adjustments in the kitchen, but once you get into it, it gets easier.

As far as we are concerned I feel that we are doing something as well, which if it feels good, it probably is doing you good !

But as Alison has said it depends how far you want to go.

Best wishes, and "welcome to the club," there are some fantastic people on here, I have been helped no end, and hope that will continue.

User
Posted 01 Oct 2015 at 17:52

Hi Garry
I tend to follow as close as possible the recommendations from "the Rainbow Diet" by Chris Woollams.
No red meat no dairy, minimal sugar
Much fruit, nuts, lots of vedge, no wheat etc etc.
I occasionally have a glass or two of wine and some meat maybe once per 3 weeks.
Lots of sunshine for vitamin D and supplements in winter when the sun has gone into hibernation.
Anything to help the liver and immune system.
I try to balance my diet for health but also for my running so sometimes have to eat carbs.
You don't mention exercise but this is also very important particularly as time goes on.

The Rainbow Diet explains all the reasons some foods are good and others bad, I would recommend you read it, it is my constant companion as a reference book.

All the very best

Paul

User
Posted 01 Oct 2015 at 17:53
Alan b 45252

I understand it to be that the hormones placed in the cattle food are passed through to the milk, and that this is no good for anyone, especially in terms of cancer.

Anybody else, please correct me if I have misunderstood this.

I have read so much about dairy that it is hard to say accurately why, but is a consensus of opinion.

Just another pointer, that reducing dairy means that you have to up your calcium uptake in other ways, through other foods, as the HT can cause some bone density loss.

Good point about the vitamin D too Paul, I forgot that. Sunshine on your body for 10 minutes a day in summertime, but maybe a supplement too?

Apologies this is brief.

Alison

Edited by member 01 Oct 2015 at 17:55  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Oct 2015 at 19:42

Hi Alan, the oncology team at our hospital advise a reduced dairy intake for prostate cancer, breast cancer and others that are hormone dependant. Milk is filled with growth hormones to help baby whatevers to develop heathy and strong. It is believed that the growth hormones encourage cancer cell growth. Same reasoning for red meats ( it is only the muscle meats that are bad as they are stuffed with hormones - kidney, liver etc is fine) and eggs.

In the UK the scientific research has been done by the Prostate Cancer Research Foundation - their findings were reasonably close to Jane Plant's claims but not quite as extreme - PCRF recommends limiting the amount of dairy, meat, processed foods rather than cutting them out completely.

Garry, you could look at it another way. Soya seems to help the body fight prostate cancer so reducing dairy has two benefits - you are reducing the hormones that feed the cancer cells and increasing the soya in its place.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Oct 2015 at 19:50

The following is quoted from this site's "Your diet and physical activity" on the Living with Prostate Cancer section

Which foods should I limit in my diet?

There is some evidence that certain foods may increase the risk of prostate cancer growing or advanced prostate cancer. As with foods which might help, the evidence is limited.

Dairy products and calcium. Eating very high levels of calcium or dairy may increase the risk of advanced prostate cancer. Calcium is important for strong bones and overall health and you need to include some in your diet.
Red and processed meat. Eating too much red and processed meat may raise your risk of aggressive and advanced prostate cancer. Red meat includes beef, pork or lamb and processed meat includes ham, bacon, sausages and burgers.
Well done meat. Meat cooked at very high temperatures or very well done, such as barbequed or fried meat, might also increase your risk of advanced cancer, particularly if it's red or processed meat
Fat. You need some fat in your diet for your body to function properly. However, eating too much fat can make you put on weight which may increase your risk of advanced prostate cancer.
Diet and physical activity for men with prostate cancer

This fact sheet is for men with prostate cancer and who want to improve their health. It describes how a healthy diet and regular physical activity may help you manage the effects of prostate cancer and its treatment.

Download PDF

Edited by member 01 Oct 2015 at 19:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Oct 2015 at 20:46

Hi
Well going to try cutting dairy.Today must be first time ever not had some kind of dairy.
Have got soy milk plain,soy milk with strawberry and one with vanilla tried them they seem ok
Got some almond milk to try

Pomegranate juice quite nice bit sweet.How much should I drink per day ?

Also got some green tea to drink just as a change from normal black tea

Willing to try any food except beetroot can't stand the smell the texture or the taste

Regarding exercise I like walking, gardening and at work though a lot of time is sat do have to climb an awful lot of stairs

Edited by member 01 Oct 2015 at 20:48  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Oct 2015 at 08:14

As my profile shows a balanced diet which includes some red meat and dairy, no supplements . I've now done 11 years since diagnosis so if diet matters my choice works for me.

As Bri said don't forget the quality of life

Good luck on your journey

Ray

User
Posted 02 Oct 2015 at 10:18

Alan, John is the complete opposite - it wouldn't enter his head to associate a PSA rise with what he has or hasn't done or eaten. It is me that does the worrying about it. He cheats whenever he can - especially if I am away on business. John has changed his diet to keep me happy, not because he thinks it makes any difference! But like you, I have some serious concerns about the environmental hazards so I never eat microwaved food or food that has been pre-wrapped in plastic, I will not eat barbecued food with burnt bits and never store my phone near my major organs - nothing to do with PCa but because of the links between these things and other cancers such as brain tumours. And I always hold my breath all the way through the Tyne tunnel but I don't know why 😏

Garry, if you do a search on here, you will find a thread where Julie (Trevor Booth) describes how she includes turmeric in absolutely EVERYTHING. You don't need to add a lot - just a sprinkling - so it doesn't actually make a difference to the taste. Learning from her, I now add a pinch of turmeric to things like scrambled eggs, casseroles, stir fries - but not enough to be able to taste it.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Oct 2015 at 15:29

All this is cheering me up a bit . And I could do with that right now !!
Me personally ( for all my faults ) will never stop drinking my gorgeous red wine -- either my home made or Tempranillo.
Bacon , steak ( fillet , rib-eye ) or burgers will never leave my side .
Oh and some blue cheese on a cracker before bed .
Feeling hungry now .
Some of the responses and members I know on here ( and beginning to know ) are leading me to believe that Turmeric is actually a Class A drug in disguise , and i'm personally setting off to Tesco now for a tub to add to my curry tonight !!
Chris

User
Posted 02 Oct 2015 at 23:39

Ah, I forgot about talc - no, we haven't had any of that in the house for 25 years but that was to do with asthma as far as I can remember.

I never drink water out of plastic bottles (brain tumours), we haven't had a chip pan since 1990 (bowel cancer) and no-one in our family is allowed to use anti-perspiration sprays either (breast cancer)

Now, I must go and have a quick cigarette before John comes home x

User
Posted 04 Oct 2015 at 12:51

Gary

Green tea :) :) after 11 years I've finally tried it. I quite like it and the version with mint.

You have had a load of different views to consider. Whatever path you take enjoy your food and drink as it could be a very long journey.

Ray

User
Posted 05 Oct 2015 at 08:26

Yes I think luck of what genes you inherit and from then whatever causes some to mutate.

However some folks gain more comfort in blaming something. As occupation or lifestyle, smoking etc, doesn't seem to fit in the prostate world diet is the one that gets blamed. How true that is for each to make their own mind up.

Ray

User
Posted 09 Oct 2015 at 11:35
Breast milk is meant for human babies, and cows milk is meant for baby cows, both contain the hormones etc required for their own species, rather than for each other.

Alison

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Oct 2015 at 08:44

Hello again Garry

I won't do the definite answers bit as there are many on here following diets just what we do (which if based on info gained here and on the web)

You could try increasing the amount of soya you take in.
Swap your cows milk for something like soya, again the same with yoghurt. (Alpro do a few flavoured ones and they aren't bad.

Swap at least some of your red meat for chicken and fish

Increase the amount of red fruits you eat. ie instead of green grapes have red, yellow grapefruit have red etc

Increase the amount of tomatoes you eat, add tomato puree to most dishes that will take it, as well as increase turmeric

I'm not sure there is much difference between black and green tea. If you look on the internet some say there isn't any difference, some say black is good some say green is good.
IF you are drinking a lot of tea perhaps cut down and substitute some of it for pomegranate.

I'm sure there will be many waiting to answer your question and they'll be along at some stage.

Sandra

User
Posted 01 Oct 2015 at 10:34
Dear Garry

It depends how far that you want to go, in terms of changing your diet.

Some members on here follow the Jane Plant Diet ( she has written several books ) This is very plant based with 1 egg per week and no dairy.

I have read the book but found it too difficult to follow.

The advice above from Sandra is followed by a lot of us on here, mainly cutting back or out dairy.

Reducing red meat.

Lots of fruit and veg, especially broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage.

Increase red foods, like tomatoes, kidney beans, strawberries. ( small amount of red wine).

Drinking or taking pomegranate supplements.

Avoid burnt foods, like from a barbecue.

Lots of spices and black pepper.

This is just what we do, others will be able to give more pointers.

The reasons behind these recommendations are numerous and based upon research and opinions, such as dairy contains lots of hormones etc that have been fed to the cows or it is not natural to drink another animals milk.

Green veg contains lots of antioxidents that help fight the cancer cells.

many of these theories are not medically proven, but improving diet can only help you to get fitter and maintain a healthy weight, which helps in the fight against this disease.

Lots of talk about taking an aspirin too, so maybe something to discuss with gp at next appointment.

Good luck!

Alison

Edited by member 01 Oct 2015 at 10:35  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Oct 2015 at 16:56

Hi Garry

I (and my wife ) have gone Dairy free.

We decided to do that, having read "The Plant Programme" by Prof. Jane Plant CBE. a Cancer sufferer herself.

Have a look in Amazon, it is well worth a read, you have nothing to lose,and its filled with loads of info. and many recipes.

It is perhaps a bit contraversal in as much that she cuts out "anything thats Dairy" which in itself means big adjustments in the kitchen, but once you get into it, it gets easier.

As far as we are concerned I feel that we are doing something as well, which if it feels good, it probably is doing you good !

But as Alison has said it depends how far you want to go.

Best wishes, and "welcome to the club," there are some fantastic people on here, I have been helped no end, and hope that will continue.

User
Posted 01 Oct 2015 at 17:52

Hi Garry
I tend to follow as close as possible the recommendations from "the Rainbow Diet" by Chris Woollams.
No red meat no dairy, minimal sugar
Much fruit, nuts, lots of vedge, no wheat etc etc.
I occasionally have a glass or two of wine and some meat maybe once per 3 weeks.
Lots of sunshine for vitamin D and supplements in winter when the sun has gone into hibernation.
Anything to help the liver and immune system.
I try to balance my diet for health but also for my running so sometimes have to eat carbs.
You don't mention exercise but this is also very important particularly as time goes on.

The Rainbow Diet explains all the reasons some foods are good and others bad, I would recommend you read it, it is my constant companion as a reference book.

All the very best

Paul

User
Posted 01 Oct 2015 at 17:53
Alan b 45252

I understand it to be that the hormones placed in the cattle food are passed through to the milk, and that this is no good for anyone, especially in terms of cancer.

Anybody else, please correct me if I have misunderstood this.

I have read so much about dairy that it is hard to say accurately why, but is a consensus of opinion.

Just another pointer, that reducing dairy means that you have to up your calcium uptake in other ways, through other foods, as the HT can cause some bone density loss.

Good point about the vitamin D too Paul, I forgot that. Sunshine on your body for 10 minutes a day in summertime, but maybe a supplement too?

Apologies this is brief.

Alison

Edited by member 01 Oct 2015 at 17:55  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Oct 2015 at 19:42

Hi Alan, the oncology team at our hospital advise a reduced dairy intake for prostate cancer, breast cancer and others that are hormone dependant. Milk is filled with growth hormones to help baby whatevers to develop heathy and strong. It is believed that the growth hormones encourage cancer cell growth. Same reasoning for red meats ( it is only the muscle meats that are bad as they are stuffed with hormones - kidney, liver etc is fine) and eggs.

In the UK the scientific research has been done by the Prostate Cancer Research Foundation - their findings were reasonably close to Jane Plant's claims but not quite as extreme - PCRF recommends limiting the amount of dairy, meat, processed foods rather than cutting them out completely.

Garry, you could look at it another way. Soya seems to help the body fight prostate cancer so reducing dairy has two benefits - you are reducing the hormones that feed the cancer cells and increasing the soya in its place.

User
Posted 01 Oct 2015 at 19:50

The following is quoted from this site's "Your diet and physical activity" on the Living with Prostate Cancer section

Which foods should I limit in my diet?

There is some evidence that certain foods may increase the risk of prostate cancer growing or advanced prostate cancer. As with foods which might help, the evidence is limited.

Dairy products and calcium. Eating very high levels of calcium or dairy may increase the risk of advanced prostate cancer. Calcium is important for strong bones and overall health and you need to include some in your diet.
Red and processed meat. Eating too much red and processed meat may raise your risk of aggressive and advanced prostate cancer. Red meat includes beef, pork or lamb and processed meat includes ham, bacon, sausages and burgers.
Well done meat. Meat cooked at very high temperatures or very well done, such as barbequed or fried meat, might also increase your risk of advanced cancer, particularly if it's red or processed meat
Fat. You need some fat in your diet for your body to function properly. However, eating too much fat can make you put on weight which may increase your risk of advanced prostate cancer.
Diet and physical activity for men with prostate cancer

This fact sheet is for men with prostate cancer and who want to improve their health. It describes how a healthy diet and regular physical activity may help you manage the effects of prostate cancer and its treatment.

Download PDF

Edited by member 01 Oct 2015 at 19:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Oct 2015 at 20:46

Hi
Well going to try cutting dairy.Today must be first time ever not had some kind of dairy.
Have got soy milk plain,soy milk with strawberry and one with vanilla tried them they seem ok
Got some almond milk to try

Pomegranate juice quite nice bit sweet.How much should I drink per day ?

Also got some green tea to drink just as a change from normal black tea

Willing to try any food except beetroot can't stand the smell the texture or the taste

Regarding exercise I like walking, gardening and at work though a lot of time is sat do have to climb an awful lot of stairs

Edited by member 01 Oct 2015 at 20:48  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Oct 2015 at 21:20

Hi Garry,

Further to the above, I try and follow Dr Jane Plant's advice, cut out dairy and eat lots of veg.

Her books are ever so cheap on websites like Amazon etc, just Google 'Jane Plant'.

Also I take a supplement, endorsed by a doctor who gave a talk to our support group, it's called Pomi-T.

It's British and gives you your recommended daily dose of Pomegranate, Turmeric, Broccoli and Green tea.

You can get it in the Internet, just search Pomi-T

:)

Dave

User
Posted 02 Oct 2015 at 07:06

It's whatever works for you I guess.....in the early days I changed my diet quite radically. But I've decided that I needed to allow myself some quality of life so I will have some red meat, a bacon sarnie with brown sauce and a few beers.
When I asked the oncologist she said there are arguments for reducing dairy...but I had to ask....likewise the urologist suggested eating lots of tomatoes.
I am at the point of considering having a PSA test as it is now 7 months since I had one....I enjoy the breaks away from the tests/waiting for the results.
So are my decisions based upon complacency or striving to lead a normal life....I reckon it's the latter.

Take care
Bri

User
Posted 02 Oct 2015 at 08:14

As my profile shows a balanced diet which includes some red meat and dairy, no supplements . I've now done 11 years since diagnosis so if diet matters my choice works for me.

As Bri said don't forget the quality of life

Good luck on your journey

Ray

User
Posted 02 Oct 2015 at 09:28

What about a broccoli smoothie ?

How do you include tumeric in your diet ?
Know can be put in curry but if your not a fan of curry what else can you do with it

Just had a look at Pomi T which was on The Food We Eat on ITV - did anyone see it ?

Is anyone else taking it apart from Dave?

Edited by member 02 Oct 2015 at 10:27  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Oct 2015 at 10:18

Alan, John is the complete opposite - it wouldn't enter his head to associate a PSA rise with what he has or hasn't done or eaten. It is me that does the worrying about it. He cheats whenever he can - especially if I am away on business. John has changed his diet to keep me happy, not because he thinks it makes any difference! But like you, I have some serious concerns about the environmental hazards so I never eat microwaved food or food that has been pre-wrapped in plastic, I will not eat barbecued food with burnt bits and never store my phone near my major organs - nothing to do with PCa but because of the links between these things and other cancers such as brain tumours. And I always hold my breath all the way through the Tyne tunnel but I don't know why 😏

Garry, if you do a search on here, you will find a thread where Julie (Trevor Booth) describes how she includes turmeric in absolutely EVERYTHING. You don't need to add a lot - just a sprinkling - so it doesn't actually make a difference to the taste. Learning from her, I now add a pinch of turmeric to things like scrambled eggs, casseroles, stir fries - but not enough to be able to taste it.

User
Posted 02 Oct 2015 at 10:27

alanb41252, I have very often had that thought after having seen my favourite food or whatever, "just once won't do any harm"

but thankfully I resist the temptation, like you I would never forgive myself if i did.

I do enjoy a glass of wine [or two] you have to have some enjoyment ! but see your point.

There is no definitive answer to this horrible disease, we all have to do what we think is right, and get on with it (easily said}

I am bemused when leavened a Appt. with the Onco. his parting words are "best of luck" perhaps thats what it boils down to !!
....... even my GP now shakes hands when saying goodbye, is he trying to tell me something !!!!!!!!!!!

I"m sure the odd strawberry vodka milkshake wouldn't do any harm !!

Edited by member 02 Oct 2015 at 10:28  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Oct 2015 at 10:30

Hi Garry,

You ask 'how can I include turmeric in my diet?'.

See my previous post, Pomi-T tablets are easy, take one each morning and you have had your daily dose of everything good to be found in pomegranate, broccoli, turmeric and green tea.

Before I started taking them I used to keep asking my self, have I had broccoli twice this week, when did I last have turmeric etc.

Dave

User
Posted 02 Oct 2015 at 10:37

Gerry,

having had prostate cancer and had it surgically removed last year, I met many highly educated medics, professors and the like

no one ever said avoid this food and eat that, read so and so's book and you'll be cured etc, go on this diet because you've been eating the wrong foods for the past 50+ years etc. but they did ask do you drink, do you smoke, IMO I really don't think it matters so much as to what genes you've inherieted, maybe ask yourself where's the hard scientific evidence !  meanwhile enjoy your life.....

User
Posted 02 Oct 2015 at 15:29

All this is cheering me up a bit . And I could do with that right now !!
Me personally ( for all my faults ) will never stop drinking my gorgeous red wine -- either my home made or Tempranillo.
Bacon , steak ( fillet , rib-eye ) or burgers will never leave my side .
Oh and some blue cheese on a cracker before bed .
Feeling hungry now .
Some of the responses and members I know on here ( and beginning to know ) are leading me to believe that Turmeric is actually a Class A drug in disguise , and i'm personally setting off to Tesco now for a tub to add to my curry tonight !!
Chris

User
Posted 02 Oct 2015 at 17:06

hi.dont post a lot but i read what you guys are saying looking for tips along the way,i have locally advanced with seminal vessicles involvement t3b,diet wise when first diagnosed i was googling everything further down the line i know it was the wrong thing to do,at first i did not know what to eat but now i have got my head round it ,the only thing i have cut out is red meat and dairy but some foods have got dairy in now i think what the hell,on a weekend i go out for a drink sometimes too much but i am okay at the moment except for flushes with ht,regards turmeric i also put it on nearly everything,i also use a good probiotic ,vit d3 and k2 and krill oil,i like to think i am doing something to help me.cheers.

User
Posted 02 Oct 2015 at 19:42

Hi Guys,

I remember reading a newspaper column written by Keith Waterhouse a few years ago at the height of the mad cow disease - CJD panic.

He said that he hoped to celebrate his 100th birthday, eating undercooked beef on the bone, drinking more than the recommended units of red wine, smoking a large cigar, and enjoying unprotected sex, all at the same time!

I guess a little of what you fancy does no real harm?

Dave

User
Posted 02 Oct 2015 at 19:58

Hello
I have to say that even though diet is a serious topic that reading this post has had me in tears but not the sad type because of losing my favourite meals but because of some of the posts.

I imagined Alan holding his breath whilst filling up his car with petrol.

I imagined Lynn holding her breath going through the Tyne Tunnel ( that's got to be like swimming the Tyne underwater)

I imagined a number of us stuffing ourselves with goodies when our wives are away.

I take diet very seriously but this stream is just cracking me up, that's what I love about this site you can laugh or you can cry but the posts are never derided.

Paul

User
Posted 02 Oct 2015 at 21:15
This post is a hoot !!

As a wife, I try to keep my OH on the strict diet, and for ease I do it too.

But when he is out, I am the one scoffing the goodies, so that he does not know!!

I also hold my breath when passing smokers in the street, near exhaust fumes, and in our renovation project of a house where asbestos was removed 2 months ago!!

I do not use talc, eat sausages or burgers, and floss twice a day.

Alison

User
Posted 02 Oct 2015 at 21:34

You eat floss ??? Candyfloss right ??

User
Posted 02 Oct 2015 at 22:54
Ha ha, floss teeth for health benefits but can't remember what they are now!!
User
Posted 02 Oct 2015 at 23:39

Ah, I forgot about talc - no, we haven't had any of that in the house for 25 years but that was to do with asthma as far as I can remember.

I never drink water out of plastic bottles (brain tumours), we haven't had a chip pan since 1990 (bowel cancer) and no-one in our family is allowed to use anti-perspiration sprays either (breast cancer)

Now, I must go and have a quick cigarette before John comes home x

User
Posted 03 Oct 2015 at 09:16

I remember reading a post on here from a past member who is sadly no longer with us. I think he lived with PCa for quite a few years. He'd also changed his diet to non dairy etc.....I read just before he died he'd said something about one thing he'd missed or would love was a piece of his favourite cheese......as one guy on here always hammered home...life is for living.

Bri

User
Posted 03 Oct 2015 at 09:18

Today finding time for my Cannock Chase walk (Hednesford to Rugeley to those who know the area). Depending on the walk that's about 5 - 6 miles so in the theory it's good for my health then I read some more of this thread

Journey: 1 mile walk to bus stop - 3 miles on bus - train 30 mins. So I breathed in diesel fumes plus who knows what on public transport plus the mast at Cannock plus Rugeley Power Station stacks pouring out who knows what.

I'm slowing down with age so that walk is about 90 - 100 mins. But this time I'm popping into supermarket getting some Turmeric putting two spoons of that in my BPC free water bottle to see if can fly to Rugeley.

Alison: 3rd property ago took first load of asbestos all bagged up to authorised site. The guy knew me so said go get the other load and pay then. So i went back only to find guys tipping bags out and offering them back. So yes some of it can be dangerous but please do breath as not doing so can damage your health.

Ray

User
Posted 03 Oct 2015 at 09:42

You've got me thinking about many running now because I run on the streets (albeit Rural West Yorkshire) but there are a few cars and buses pass me. It's a bit difficult to hold my breat because by this time I'm gasping for every bit I can get.

Just an aside tho I'm sure the exercise over balances out the pollution and parts of the run are in fresh Yorkshire air.

I'm in Argeles sur Mer in southern France at the moment and we used to drink the water from the tap until a friend had it analysed (lots of fertiliser in there from the vineyards) so we've all gone onto plastic bottled water.
I could probably collect the weeks rations today tho cos it's raining cats and dogs.

Paul

User
Posted 03 Oct 2015 at 13:01

I have noticed recently that more and more runners in London wear smog masks. I saw a young mum last week pushing her pram to the shops and wearing a mask.

User
Posted 03 Oct 2015 at 16:05

Just had an alpro yoghurt very sweet

Checked ingredients in yoghurt and their alpro milk.Both contain sugar.Now is it good for you ?
Or is it bad as are we not supposed to avoid sugar ?

Chicken stir fry cooked in one cal and tried coating chicken in tumeric with bit sprinkled on veg.Not bad could eat that again

Having small French stick today 1/2 with dinner 1/2 with salad for my break at work tonight.No butter

Now is bread good or bad ?

Tis a bit of a minefield this eating lark :-)

Edited by member 03 Oct 2015 at 16:08  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Oct 2015 at 16:16
Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I have noticed recently that more and more runners in London wear smog masks. I saw a young mum last week pushing her pram to the shops and wearing a mask.

Just a thought

But had the baby got one also ?

Edited by member 03 Oct 2015 at 16:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Oct 2015 at 17:34

Garry

Changing your diet won't alter events. Yes, it can make you healthier but as a six and half year survivor, my personal philosophy is to eat and drink what I want in moderation. I've done the wheatgrass, turmeric and chewed enough apricot stones to sink a battleship. They didn't make an iota of difference. Enjoy!

User
Posted 03 Oct 2015 at 17:50

Shame u don't live round the corner Bazza !! Could have a steak and get s**t- faced ( sorry ladies ) watching the rugby later. Maybe a couple of lines of Turmeric ? Then meet up in the morning with the dogs for a greasy spoon. My kind of man haha

User
Posted 03 Oct 2015 at 17:53

Sorry Garry -- being flippant. Each to their own. Best wishes to you.

User
Posted 03 Oct 2015 at 19:05
Chris, only if it's a full fry up. The works! My kind of fella too. Garry, good luck brother dealing with the Demons we all have to face at some stage throughout this terrible process. You WILL get through this.

Bazza

User
Posted 03 Oct 2015 at 21:29
Going to throw a spanner in the works as to dairy.

Eric has not had any dairy since primary school(6) not in any type of cooking.As for tomatoes he has always eaten them like someone would eat a bag of grapes.We spoke about this on the old site and Barry(TG) told me they must be cooked so no dairy didn't help Eric.

As for smoking he did asked onco should he stop she said all his other problems heart collapsed lung yes smoking as for Pca smoking did not affect his condition.

The only time he had dairy was when he had chemo seamed to crave icecream.

Carol

Edited by member 03 Oct 2015 at 23:38  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Oct 2015 at 21:54
I'm feeling naughty now after all of the healthy eating talk. We've just had fish and chips for tea so to even things out we've followed it with an Alpro caramel dessert.

I must say that we've swapped to a lot of Alpro products and our daughter said that she prefers the new custard as "it's much more creamier"! Steve does miss his cheese though😥, can anyone suggest a decent dairy free one?

Maureen

"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think." A A Milne
User
Posted 03 Oct 2015 at 22:51

Just had copious amounts of real ale and cheese and biscuits while watching the Aussies destroy us at rugby :(

Oh well...can't have everything in life

Bri

User
Posted 04 Oct 2015 at 06:42

Sorry Garry -- being flippant. Each to their own. Best wishes to you.

Chris no worries about being flippant.We either laugh or cry and I know which I would rather do :-)

User
Posted 04 Oct 2015 at 06:53

The reason behind me asking.

Not yet had biopsy so don't know anything yet.So feel at moment I am fighting shadows

Do I think changing diet will help Dunno
Do I think getting bit fitter would help Dunno

Will eating healthier benefit in long run probably
Will getting fitter help -again in long run probably

Basing this on can't do any harm

Thing is got to be doing something positive can't just sit around letting it run riot in my head.So let's do something :-)

As my wife said consultant said probably 80% cancer - you heard CANCER
So immediately you dead buried and bought the ham
She right about that one lol

Edited by member 04 Oct 2015 at 07:10  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Oct 2015 at 08:20

Yes lol

It is frustrating waiting but
you have to ask yourself is there is a difference between eating healthy and going on a restrictive diet that might cause harm .

Ray

User
Posted 04 Oct 2015 at 09:21

Just had copious amounts of real ale and cheese and biscuits while watching the Aussies destroy us at rugby :(

Bri

Oh yes you can you can  SUPPORT WALES  COME ON NOW BOYO!!!!

User
Posted 04 Oct 2015 at 10:04

Bri

Oh yes you can you can SUPPORT WALES COME ON NOW BOYO!!!!

Nnnnnoooo!!!!...good luck with the rest of the tournament...but you need to beat Australia to make it easier...

User
Posted 04 Oct 2015 at 12:18

Yes lol

It is frustrating waiting but
you have to ask yourself is there is a difference between eating healthy and going on a restrictive diet that might cause harm .

Ray

No Ray couldn't be restrictive like my food too much :-)

Just few changes as already think it pretty healthy

Drink a glass of pomegranate juice

Use soy products rather than dairy based

Eat less red meat

Green tea to replace a few of my normal black tea

So nothing major just a few alternatives

User
Posted 04 Oct 2015 at 12:51

Gary

Green tea :) :) after 11 years I've finally tried it. I quite like it and the version with mint.

You have had a load of different views to consider. Whatever path you take enjoy your food and drink as it could be a very long journey.

Ray

User
Posted 04 Oct 2015 at 14:22
I read all this with great interest. I wish my other half would read it all and take note. He refuses to change his diet whatsoever. He is a beef farmer, so eats plenty of red meat. He only has full cream milk (we have young children, otherwise I wouldn't buy it) he doesn't smoke, rarely drinks alcohol, but he eats plenty of cakes and biscuits. I can't stop him. If I make a cake he will eat it for breakfast, lunch and supper! He does work hard so he must burn it off. He eats a similar diet to his parents, they died at 89 and 93 so I just get "it never did Mum and Dad any harm" so I have given up nagging him to change.

It has nothing to do with prostate cancer, but my Dad was healthy, he rarely had alcohol, never smoked, was always on his bike as he didn't drive, he was a good weight (underweight if anything) he ate a fairly healthy diet, he was never off work sick, he died suddenly at age 56 of acute myeloma (cancer of the blood) Yet my Mum is obese, likes a glass of wine most nights, she used to smoke, has a fried breakfast every day and due to her size can't exercise. She is nearly 70 and just had a medical and told she has good cholesterol, her heart is very good for her age etc. it makes me wonder if it is just luck!

I will still be trying to persuade the OH to eat healthier.

User
Posted 05 Oct 2015 at 08:26

Yes I think luck of what genes you inherit and from then whatever causes some to mutate.

However some folks gain more comfort in blaming something. As occupation or lifestyle, smoking etc, doesn't seem to fit in the prostate world diet is the one that gets blamed. How true that is for each to make their own mind up.

Ray

User
Posted 05 Oct 2015 at 12:32

Do we just need something to blame.Mine if got it (still hoping it going to be OK.Is that called burying head in sand)is probably hereditary-which is why I was given MRI

Think diet is something we can control so use that to just have something we can do as helpless to do anything else
My folks mum 80 dad 85 eat what they want always have.Only concession to diet I think is red top milk

A lot of posters say just enjoy food and life - at moment can't do that

Posted elsewhere on here- feel a fraud coming on here looking for answers before know the questions

And feel bit of a wuss when see what other posters are going through

Edited by member 05 Oct 2015 at 12:36  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Oct 2015 at 14:04

Gary to clarify 'blame rather than just bad luck' was a general comment not directed at you.

You're not a wuss just like most of us was at diagnosis time very concerned of what might be -that's normal in my book.

As regards diet I've reduced red meat and dairy, but that was always low, and no processed food. Recently gave up bacon and sausage. That was tough will I continue? So you see I also think diet can help but I just don't go overboard about it

Ray

User
Posted 05 Oct 2015 at 14:23

Ray did understand comment wasn't aimed at me :-)

I too think I eat healthy.Lucky though don't have to give up bacon sausage etc as allergic to pork

Red meat gonna cut back a bit.My problem is the dairy.Until looked at it didn't realise how much I ate and drink of it - milk,cheese,yoghurt,ice cream

Think sensible approach is best we can do.
Gonna try the Pomi t tablets this again based on can't do any harm

See you tried the green tea.Try the one with lemon that one quite nice

Edited by member 05 Oct 2015 at 14:38  | Reason: Not specified