Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dads Biopsy

User
Posted 10 Jan 2016 at 01:52
Hi All.

Just wishing to gain some info & support I suppose.

My 3 uncles have all been successfully treated for PC. Now my dad who's a really fit 73 has just had a prostate biopsy carried out.. We've a 3 week wait now for results. Last PCA was 17. Prostate appears to be very hard when examined PR.. and ultrasound shows it to be irregularly shaped.

So just a waiting game now.

Thanks

Cathy 💗💗💗💗
User
Posted 10 Jan 2016 at 10:32

Try and hang tight for the results if you can , and if your uncles were all successfully treated ............
Heres hoping he doesn't need any treatment

User
Posted 10 Jan 2016 at 10:36

Hello again Cathy,
I forgot to say in my post in the other conversation that we have something called "The Toolkit" her on the site which can be downloaded from publications or ask one of the nurses to order it for you.

It might have information in there that your dad could use to formulate questions next time he sees somebody.
As usual, the advice is for him to take somebody with him as a second pair of ears.

Horrible as it seems to say it, at least your dad has his three brothers (or in laws) to compare notes with.

You want Support? Well you'll have it on here, that's for sure

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 10 Jan 2016 at 15:56

Hi Cathy, not a good feeling having to wait all that time, we,have all been there and it drags so much.

Having gone through it with three uncles and seen that there can be a positive outcome it is no less daunting for you, let's hope the outcome of the tests are good for you and your dad.

Please keep us updated as to the results, if it is PCa there are lots of folk on this site to help and support you both through this as there are no taboo subjects so,ask away.

Regards Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint

User
Posted 10 Jan 2016 at 16:39

Hi Cathy

As a matter of interest has your dad been told he might need a bone scan and/or MRI scan. I had them but my PSA was a lot higher - 41.7. It may well be that taking into account his PSA and depending on the biopsy results, he may not need the scans at this stage. In any case the scans are much easier and more comfortable then the biopsy.

With very best wishes

Richard

User
Posted 11 Jan 2016 at 02:30
Hi Steve

Thanks for your reply. Just read your bio. OMW! You've been through the mill...Shocking. bless you.

I really Hope 2016 is a much better year for you.

The best people come from N. Ireland. Lol.

Go easy on yourself. Depression is very tough..

Cathy 💗💗💗💗
User
Posted 26 Jan 2016 at 07:37

Hi Cathy
It's an awful time after diagnosis and I feel for you.
The bone and MRI scan should determine the coarse of action.
I had a Gleason 3+4 score with spread to pelvis so couldnt have an operation.
I've been on HT + Enzalutamide for last 13 months and life is good, just get hot flushes and fatigue. Doesn't stop me enjoying life though.

I hope your Dad gets the best treatment.

Paul

User
Posted 26 Jan 2016 at 09:09

At least you have this first lot of waiting over.

3+4 is better than 4+3 at least.

They'll be plenty of advice for you from members once the MRI/scans results are given.

In the meantime, try and keep strong and brave and come back to us when/if it all gets too much.

Sandr

User
Posted 26 Jan 2016 at 20:51

Hi Cathy,

Just to say I thinking of you and your dad at this difficult time.

I agree with Sandra that it's good that the diagnosis is 3+4 rather than 4+3.  I hope that the scan results go well for you. 

Not knowing is sometimes worse than knowing the facts, the worry can be very difficult to handle, I know to my cost.

Steve x

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 10 Jan 2016 at 10:14
Hi Cathy

Sorry to hear about your Dad and I understand how worrying this must be for you.

Waiting for results is always difficult but I have found that what helps me has been coming to terms with the fact that I cannot do anything in the meantime so just carry on enjoying all the positives. I cannot speak for anyone else, but taking things a step at a time and dealing with the here and now has been helpful to me as I don't worry myself about what might happen in the future.

My brother is 70 and I am 66 and we were diagnosed with PCa within 3 months of each other. We both had RALP but our experiences post op have been fairly different. I am sure that your uncles will offer what help and advice they can but your Dad's experience will be unique to him.

He has your support and that will be invaluable to him.

Try to enjoy each day and then deal with each step when you reach it is all I can advise.

Kevan

User
Posted 10 Jan 2016 at 10:32

Try and hang tight for the results if you can , and if your uncles were all successfully treated ............
Heres hoping he doesn't need any treatment

User
Posted 10 Jan 2016 at 10:36

Hello again Cathy,
I forgot to say in my post in the other conversation that we have something called "The Toolkit" her on the site which can be downloaded from publications or ask one of the nurses to order it for you.

It might have information in there that your dad could use to formulate questions next time he sees somebody.
As usual, the advice is for him to take somebody with him as a second pair of ears.

Horrible as it seems to say it, at least your dad has his three brothers (or in laws) to compare notes with.

You want Support? Well you'll have it on here, that's for sure

User
Posted 10 Jan 2016 at 15:56

Hi Cathy, not a good feeling having to wait all that time, we,have all been there and it drags so much.

Having gone through it with three uncles and seen that there can be a positive outcome it is no less daunting for you, let's hope the outcome of the tests are good for you and your dad.

Please keep us updated as to the results, if it is PCa there are lots of folk on this site to help and support you both through this as there are no taboo subjects so,ask away.

Regards Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint

User
Posted 10 Jan 2016 at 16:39

Hi Cathy

As a matter of interest has your dad been told he might need a bone scan and/or MRI scan. I had them but my PSA was a lot higher - 41.7. It may well be that taking into account his PSA and depending on the biopsy results, he may not need the scans at this stage. In any case the scans are much easier and more comfortable then the biopsy.

With very best wishes

Richard

User
Posted 10 Jan 2016 at 18:52
Hi kevan

Thanks for your advice. Yes I Totally agree. Take each day as it comes.Hope you & your brother are doing well.

Take care.

Cathy 💗💗💗💗
User
Posted 10 Jan 2016 at 18:55
Cheers Chris.

Thanks.

Cathy 💗💗💗💗
User
Posted 10 Jan 2016 at 18:58
Hi Richard

As yet no mention of bone scan. But I will be with dad for his results. So I'll be mentioning the risk of bone Mets and requesting a scan etc.

Cheers. Appreciate your help. 😄

Cathy 💗💗💗💗
User
Posted 11 Jan 2016 at 02:21
Hi Cathy,

Wishing you and your dad luck for the biopsy results.

Everyone here are always here to support you, whatever happens.

Steve x

PS. My family originates from Belfast.

User
Posted 11 Jan 2016 at 02:30
Hi Steve

Thanks for your reply. Just read your bio. OMW! You've been through the mill...Shocking. bless you.

I really Hope 2016 is a much better year for you.

The best people come from N. Ireland. Lol.

Go easy on yourself. Depression is very tough..

Cathy 💗💗💗💗
User
Posted 26 Jan 2016 at 03:44
Hi folks

Thanks for all your support. Dads had a positive cancer diagnosis.

His Gleason score is 3+4 7. 10/12 cores were positive.

So that's Really all we know. He's got to have a bone & MRI scan to get any accurate picture 're treatment.

He has the added complication of having advanced COPD. So surgery is a last resort.

That's all I know now. Its all new & all a bit daunting.

Appreciate all the support. Even in the early hours of the morning. 😄

Edited by member 26 Jan 2016 at 03:54  | Reason: Not specified

Cathy 💗💗💗💗
User
Posted 26 Jan 2016 at 07:37

Hi Cathy
It's an awful time after diagnosis and I feel for you.
The bone and MRI scan should determine the coarse of action.
I had a Gleason 3+4 score with spread to pelvis so couldnt have an operation.
I've been on HT + Enzalutamide for last 13 months and life is good, just get hot flushes and fatigue. Doesn't stop me enjoying life though.

I hope your Dad gets the best treatment.

Paul

User
Posted 26 Jan 2016 at 09:09

At least you have this first lot of waiting over.

3+4 is better than 4+3 at least.

They'll be plenty of advice for you from members once the MRI/scans results are given.

In the meantime, try and keep strong and brave and come back to us when/if it all gets too much.

Sandr

User
Posted 26 Jan 2016 at 20:51

Hi Cathy,

Just to say I thinking of you and your dad at this difficult time.

I agree with Sandra that it's good that the diagnosis is 3+4 rather than 4+3.  I hope that the scan results go well for you. 

Not knowing is sometimes worse than knowing the facts, the worry can be very difficult to handle, I know to my cost.

Steve x