I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

after the operation

User
Posted 22 Feb 2016 at 15:11

Hi I would not normally do this kind of internet thing but have just had operation robotic assisted to take out prostate after diagnosis in october 2015. It has been surreal I had little symptoms apart from urinary issues - so as no symptoms it was weird decided to have robotic surgery as just wanted to be rid of it. Had this last week in recovery been hard, quite painful, have now wear catheter for few days rather undignified but must needs be. The emotional impact of this is now hitting home in a way it did not before - swing between optimism as despair. glad to her from anyone else really who may experience this. 

User
Posted 22 Feb 2016 at 21:05

Peter

From my experience every day got a bit better, I never really thought of it as major surgery, but of course it is. I was back at work 4 weeks post op, but do not base your own recovery on others, the text book for Da Vinci says back to work in two- six weeks, it's only a guide we are all different, do it at your own pace. Getting rid of the catheter will be a relief and the start of the next stage. I wore pyjamas to keep all the bits together and had a strap around my ankle holding the pipe to the night bag. I used a small squirt of instillagel  down the end of the penis to ease any discomfort. No running marathons but keep mobile.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 25 Feb 2016 at 09:40

Hi Peter

Hows things? Iam 60 now and I had robotic oct 2013. it went very well and just had latest 6 monthly test and all clear still. 99% dry but ED still a problem. But overall made great recovery and feel fine.

Some good advice already been given here so i just wanted to share some of my post op experiences. 

The first week i was very tired and did very little. Felt tired and slept alot. But no pain except from when getting out of bed from incisions. I think i was more worried about the catheter than the op but i accepted it was only for 10 days and of course i didnt have anything to do. if i had been going to work i think i would have found it very difficult. The second week i did some walking each day and slowly increased this. At the time i was working as a gardener and was just finishing for the winter so the op came at a good time. I was lucky enough to be able to wait until february to return to work and also my wife was working to support us.

Everyone is different with their recovery so take your time. It was a big op but apart from the tiredness i felt fine afterwards. I go to the gym alot and my doctor had asked me to go as much as possible before the op. He said i would recover quicker and he was right. Apart from the pain from the incisions getting out of bed i had no other pain. i really expected alot of internal pain but there was nothing. it seemed so strange as if i had just been in for a minor op.

The first 3 weeks after diagnosis i was very low . No symptoms and no family history. I couldnt understand why me. I am slim, fit , eat carefully and dont drink much alcohol and go the gym 3/4 times a week. I am the only one in my family who does this and am quite proud of my fitness( last year i took up walking football and i play every week...can totally recommend this to anyone..women included as we have 3 female players). but then after speaking to macmillan nurse, doctor and local support group that i was lucky enough to be at the early stages. i got my head around it and accepted it and got really positive. But Peter i see your point about the trauma of it all. its scary!! you try to be positive but thoughts are in the back of your mind. But each day gets easier but it takes time.its early days yet so be patient.

have you been in touch with a local support group? luckily there is one i go to and it has been a great help , especially before the op. reassuring to speak to others who had been through the op and also issues relating to post op. 

two and a half years on and i feel great. I am probably doing more exercise than ever and i have changed my job so that i do not do as much physical work. all my tests have been clear but i still have two and half years of tests left. So i hope you have the same success too peter and please keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

User
Posted 25 Feb 2016 at 18:26
Hi Peter my husband had surgery just after Christmas. Incontinence issue improving daily just started take meds for ed. Had a positive post op meeting two weeks ago but still have the first psa next month. He started back to work Monday part time and is v tired but is happy to be getting back to some sort of normal. As others have said it does take time there is no quick fix but you do have to do things in moderation while you recover had this conversation with husband many times. As for mixed feelings v much so it is normal please speak to one of nurses they are great and of course there is us for when you have a bad or good day. Jayne x
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 22 Feb 2016 at 16:23

Hi Peter

We are the same age so at least we start off with something else in common as well as the fact we have both been through the robotic surgery even though mine was 6 months ago. It is perfectly understandable that you are feeling as you are as you been through some invasive surgery and despite everything you have read and been told it is only when it has been done that you know how you feel. The catheter is a necessity at the moment and I appreciate that it all feels a bit weird but hopefully you have a date when it will be removed which normally isn't too long. Keep drinking plenty of water to keep your system flushed through as this can help prevent blockages. I looked on this as a time when I had the luxury of not having to worry about making lots of trips to the bathroom. You will possibly feel tired so listen to your body and rest when you need to but try to balance this with ensuring that you get some exercise. I tried to pay more attention to what I could do rather than things I couldn't during this period and then trying to find ways around the things that seem as easy as before.

Be prepared for the day you have the catheter removed as nobody knows what your continence levels will be like until the day. I am sure that you have been advised to take some men's incontinence pads with you and ensure that you have a supply at home. There are various types available but I experimented with what felt best for me and although it all seems a bit surreal at the time, I looked on them as the means of me getting out and about and trying to get things back on track. Six months further down the line I almost back to normal but I accepted that it would take as long as it would take. 

You do not say what support you have from family or friends but if you talk about it and dare I say try to see the funny side of it, things feel just that bit better. You are at the very early stage of the healing process and I hope that you will take heart from the fact that there is light at the end of the tunnel and I am sure that things will improve but you need to be kind to yourself and you will get there.

There are many on this site who are able and willing to support you and who are far more knowledgeable about this disease than I am so don't be afraid to talk on this forum about anything that might be bothering you.

I wish you all the very best with your recovery.

Kevan 

User
Posted 22 Feb 2016 at 19:15

Hello Peter and welcome to the site.

Very good advice from Kevan and I'm sure there will be the same from other members too.

Re the pads for the removal of the catheter don't forget that close fitting pants would be a better option than loose boxers as they will hold the pads in place better.

Try not to fret if you have to wait a while for continence to settle, it seems to vary from man to man, even of they've had the same treatment.

These are very early days for you so please don't expect too much too soon, let your body heal - it has been through massive trauma after all.

Kevan says try and see the funny side and that may seem a bit odd to you in your current state but humour does help.
I got my husband some incontinence pants from Asda for when he came home after his procedure but didn't look at them beforehand.
He came home from hospital all groggy and a bit uncomfortable although no catheter as he had brachytherapy, but he had used the pads for the journey home.

His face when I gave him the pants as he was getting ready for bed was a real picture. They turned out to have elasticated legs which looked like a frill so he looked like a male version of Gorgeous Gussy Moran, but after the initial shock and a good laugh he put them on with no further comment.

I wouldn't go so far as to say laughter is the best medicine, but it helps to lift the gloom !

Good luck with your recovery which I hope is speedy

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 22 Feb 2016 at 20:23
Thank u much appreciated hope your husband is doing well
User
Posted 22 Feb 2016 at 20:25
Thanks for taking time to reply yes feel bit battered and bruised only just getting mobile and getting used to trying sleep with this catheter bit uncomfortable bu thanks for advice
User
Posted 22 Feb 2016 at 21:05

Peter

From my experience every day got a bit better, I never really thought of it as major surgery, but of course it is. I was back at work 4 weeks post op, but do not base your own recovery on others, the text book for Da Vinci says back to work in two- six weeks, it's only a guide we are all different, do it at your own pace. Getting rid of the catheter will be a relief and the start of the next stage. I wore pyjamas to keep all the bits together and had a strap around my ankle holding the pipe to the night bag. I used a small squirt of instillagel  down the end of the penis to ease any discomfort. No running marathons but keep mobile.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 25 Feb 2016 at 09:40

Hi Peter

Hows things? Iam 60 now and I had robotic oct 2013. it went very well and just had latest 6 monthly test and all clear still. 99% dry but ED still a problem. But overall made great recovery and feel fine.

Some good advice already been given here so i just wanted to share some of my post op experiences. 

The first week i was very tired and did very little. Felt tired and slept alot. But no pain except from when getting out of bed from incisions. I think i was more worried about the catheter than the op but i accepted it was only for 10 days and of course i didnt have anything to do. if i had been going to work i think i would have found it very difficult. The second week i did some walking each day and slowly increased this. At the time i was working as a gardener and was just finishing for the winter so the op came at a good time. I was lucky enough to be able to wait until february to return to work and also my wife was working to support us.

Everyone is different with their recovery so take your time. It was a big op but apart from the tiredness i felt fine afterwards. I go to the gym alot and my doctor had asked me to go as much as possible before the op. He said i would recover quicker and he was right. Apart from the pain from the incisions getting out of bed i had no other pain. i really expected alot of internal pain but there was nothing. it seemed so strange as if i had just been in for a minor op.

The first 3 weeks after diagnosis i was very low . No symptoms and no family history. I couldnt understand why me. I am slim, fit , eat carefully and dont drink much alcohol and go the gym 3/4 times a week. I am the only one in my family who does this and am quite proud of my fitness( last year i took up walking football and i play every week...can totally recommend this to anyone..women included as we have 3 female players). but then after speaking to macmillan nurse, doctor and local support group that i was lucky enough to be at the early stages. i got my head around it and accepted it and got really positive. But Peter i see your point about the trauma of it all. its scary!! you try to be positive but thoughts are in the back of your mind. But each day gets easier but it takes time.its early days yet so be patient.

have you been in touch with a local support group? luckily there is one i go to and it has been a great help , especially before the op. reassuring to speak to others who had been through the op and also issues relating to post op. 

two and a half years on and i feel great. I am probably doing more exercise than ever and i have changed my job so that i do not do as much physical work. all my tests have been clear but i still have two and half years of tests left. So i hope you have the same success too peter and please keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

User
Posted 25 Feb 2016 at 18:26
Hi Peter my husband had surgery just after Christmas. Incontinence issue improving daily just started take meds for ed. Had a positive post op meeting two weeks ago but still have the first psa next month. He started back to work Monday part time and is v tired but is happy to be getting back to some sort of normal. As others have said it does take time there is no quick fix but you do have to do things in moderation while you recover had this conversation with husband many times. As for mixed feelings v much so it is normal please speak to one of nurses they are great and of course there is us for when you have a bad or good day. Jayne x