I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

osteoarthritis

User
Posted 31 Mar 2016 at 14:26
I have arthritis in my right knee over last week it is getting more painful,also my left hip where a cancer node was diagnosed is also more painful I have co cordomol but it is becoming less affective
Whilst on chemo had no issues
Just wondered if anyone else had similar
Going to make appointment with GP

regards
Nodge
run long and prosper
'pooh how do you spell love'
'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'
User
Posted 31 Mar 2016 at 17:08
B

We have gone different treatment routes so I do not think my experience is relevant. My pre-op scan did show OA in joints and I do suffer with gout which is a form of arthritis.

Since going on regular daily sildeafil my gout and joints have become more painful. If I stop the sildeafil the pain goes and the incontinence gets worse. My Urology nurse said bone involvement was unlikely at a PSA of 0.07.

Hope you get a quicker appointment with your GP, I made an appointment today, first available 27th April.

Thanks Chris
User
Posted 31 Mar 2016 at 17:36

Hi Nidge,

I had arthritis long before I was diagnosed with PCa.

One day I might struggle to walk down a flight of stairs, but on a good day I can walk 10 miles, there is no ryhme nor reason to it.

I have had two treatments suggested by different doctors over the years and they both work to a limited extent.

The first is to go to the chemists and buy a pack of the biggest strength ibruprophen you can get, you have to ask and get them from under the counter, I believe they are 200's or maybe 500's.  You take 2 of these per day for a week, and then stop, repeating every couple of months, but no more than half dozen times a year.  The important thing is to take them for a whole week, to get rid of inflamation in the joints.

More recently a docor has suggested 2 x paracetamol every evening, and that works well, ensuring a good nights sleep.

The big question, of course, once we have PCa, is how to tell the difference between arthritis and bone mets?  On one occassion my GP sent me for an X-ray, saying that she wouldn't normally bother, but with my history, she wanted to be sure.  So presumablly they can tell the difference between arthritis and PCa mets by looking at X rays?

The other thing is to be aware that the standard 'joint care' tablets sold in chemists have a mixture of glucosamine and condritine, one of them and I am not sure which, has been linked with a higher risk of PCa.

:)

Dave 

User
Posted 31 Mar 2016 at 17:39
Chris....

Four weeks wait for a GP appointment is disgraceful!

I must be lucky with my GP centre... but can usually get an appointment within two days or so.

Just googled and see that national average is rising to 13/14 days.

Nidge/Dave... IBUPROFEN MAXIMUM STRENGTH - they are 400mg tablets.

Edited by member 01 Apr 2016 at 08:09  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 31 Mar 2016 at 20:57

Hi Bladerunner

I'm guessing with your pedigree in running you've covered the basics. However, sometimes the over-riding concern about cancer can get in the way of looking at some basic biomechanical analysis.

Of course the anxiety about bony mets needs to be addressed via your GP, but what else can you do in the meantime?

Others have suggested anti- inflammatories.

You mention 'arthritis; in your knee- that means different things to different people. I'm guessing you mean osteoarthritis (OA)   ( i.e chronic (long term) wear and tear arthritis). This is distinct from rheumatoid arthritis  ( the individual's own immune system creating inflammation at  joints). You could also mean a traumatic arthritis- essentially you have overloaded a previously asymptomatic joint and inflamed it so it hurts. Do it repeatedly and the changes become chronic i.e. OA. There again, you might also just mean that your knee hurts - for all sorts of reasons.

I would be wondering  if the opposite lower limb's hip pain ( which presumably predates your knee pain)  has led to you becoming at all unbalanced in the way you line up or load the right knee. Also , have you changed any training loading recently? You probably already know this sort of stuff,  but I would always check the basics before the spectre of malignancies clouds logical thinking. When I say that, I do not mean ignore any well founded concerns , particularly as you report the L hip hotspot exists. I'd guess you have asked about  running on that, no doubt aware that  increased loading on a hip bone with metastases can induce a pathological fracture? Are you trying to offload the hip and in doing so load the other knee?

Online advice can  never trump a detailed assessment. 

Can you self- refer to an NHS physio' in the meantime? Might turn out to be an irrelevance, you can always cancel if it is.

User
Posted 31 Mar 2016 at 21:22
Hi nidge sorry can't offer any advice but really hope you get support very soon. Jx
User
Posted 01 Apr 2016 at 05:33

Hi walnut
Pain in left hip is where my largest cancer node is, the right knee has suffered with OA for years but last few weeks has got worse pain wise
My training runs are miles less then i ever ran see GP next monday
Did wonder if my HT injection has any relevance due next one on monday
Will make a note

run long and prosper
'pooh how do you spell love'
'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'
User
Posted 01 Apr 2016 at 09:25

Hi Nidge & Walnut,

First to clear up ambiguity, my arthritis has always been osteo arthritis, and the doctors recommendation for week long blasts of ibruprophen was to reduce inflamation in joints caused by wear and tear to cartilage and bone etc.

Secondly you make a very good point about HT, I had never thought of HT as agravating OA as a side effect.  However I am in process of coming down off HT, had my last jab was in November, and lately my OA hasn't been so bad.  It might of course be a coincidence, because I have lost a bit of weight and have been pretty regular taking paracetamol, but you may have a point, it may be that now my hormone levels are getting back to normal, my OA is getting better?

There must be plenty of blokes on this website with OA, it would be interesting to hear of others experiences.

:)

Dave