How interesting to read of the 37% prediction... I find this most unusual, especially when the medical profession tends to avoid putting this in black and white. I was never quoted a percentage with regard to my prostate cancer situation.
However, way back in 2011 when I collapsed with pulmonary embolism following a Hellux Vaglus (bunions to you and me!) operation, I was put on warfarin. After 3 months I informed the hospital I am stopping the course. One lady of fearsome proportions who was dealing with my case was not pleased. She said it was safer to stay on it for life - to which I responded "No way." She scribbled gown on a piece of paper (cos I could not lipread her when she was moving her lips in anger) "You have 22% chance of recurrence of blood clots within 5 years if you stop warfarin now." I wrote back on the same piece of paper "Thank you for being helpful and giving me confidence to stop warfarin. Having 78% chance of not getting it within 5 years is great news." I just walked out. Warfarin interfered with my lifestyle and had to go. My GP was not pleased but it was my choice.
I did raise the question at my meeting on 3rd April whether the cancer will eventually return. He simply said to me to read the pathology report and accept it. If it says all clear, then it is all clear.
I think all the good doctors actually try to be impartial and factual, not giving patients any false sense of hope. The urology doctors in Guildford seem to fit that mould and they have my respect.
I believe that in all reality every person on planet earth has a daily 50-50 chance of living another day, so any suggested percentage greater than this is very welcome (sic)!
I would not read too much into percentages because they are always based on generalisations, not tailored for an individual. Ignore the 37% and think about the 63%, it looks better doesn't it?
He who lives, loves and knows what it means to die - Jiddu Krishnamurti.
Edited by member 05 Apr 2018 at 10:56
| Reason: Not specified