Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

What now - any advice?

User
Posted 31 Jan 2019 at 15:59

Hi Rafael,

I hope the other party is not or has never been involved in any criminal activity if your DNA is a “100% match” with his, as you’ll be hauled in for any crimes linked to him (and you)! That’s if he hasn’t died of prostate cancer by now. Were you separated from an identical twin at birth?

Try and keep a brave face on it all, and think of how many trips to Barbados you will be able to enjoy with your inevitable compo, which you richly deserve.

Best wishes as ever.

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 31 Jan 2019 at 16:02  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 31 Jan 2019 at 19:18
I'm so sorry to hear about this Rafael. Sometimes we hear about stuff like this but nobody believes it could happen to us. Sending you my best wishes and hope you get this sorted out without too much stress.

Maria

User
Posted 31 Jan 2019 at 21:42

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

I hope the other party is not or has never been involved in any criminal activity if your DNA is a “100% match” with his, as you’ll be hauled in for any crimes linked to him (and you)! That’s if he hasn’t died of prostate cancer by now. Were you separated from an identical twin at birth?

why are you wittering about criminals and twins? Rafael’s DNA was used to confirm that he is the patient with the wrong result :-/ 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Feb 2019 at 02:26

“why are you wittering about criminals and twins? Rafael’s DNA was used to confirm that he is the patient with the wrong result :-/“

OK, Matron and Rafael, sorry, I misread the post. He’s a 100% match with his own DNA.

Cheers,  John.

Edited by member 01 Feb 2019 at 02:28  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Feb 2019 at 14:52
🤣🤣🤣

I read an interesting article yesterday about all these gene testing kits people are buying each other as Christmas gifts, etc. Apparently, a new phenomenon is emerging - an unexpectedly high number of people discovering they are no a match to their parents, only a half match to a sibling and / or that a stranger on the databank is an unknown close relative. It seems that for £63 people are getting rather more than they bargained for, so Rafael is probably relieved that he is a match to himself :-/

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Feb 2019 at 14:36

John - you're hilarious! 

Lyn - yes, good to know I'm a match with my own  biopsy cores involved in the mixup. Since it appears that they have sorted out the mess, I am awaiting response from them to my question asking if they can give me the correct biopsy results and report using my cores. I will push them if I do not hear from them by next Wednesday.

Rafael

He who lives, loves and knows what it means to die - Jiddu Krishnamurti 

User
Posted 02 Feb 2019 at 15:28

Interestingly one of our former forum member has recently found exactly that from a DNA test. Not a relation to the father, bit of a shock. Beware! Not relevant to your story Rafael. Good luck.

Devonmaid

User
Posted 03 Feb 2019 at 07:00
Maybe that old wives tale about toilet seats was true after all!
User
Posted 27 Feb 2019 at 10:43

The SIRI saga goes on and on. Normally the investigation takes 3 months but it is now entering its 5th month. I got an email this morning saying they hope to hand the final report to the CCG  on 19 March. It would take the CCG 3/4 weeks to ratify the report before I can have sight of it. They say it is a very complex case... hmmm.

I have everything prepped on my side bar the report to embark on a battle.

It now seems I will have to wait till mid-April before I get the report.

Rafael

User
Posted 16 Mar 2019 at 17:03

It is over 6 weeks since I requested a corrected copy of my histophathology report now that they appear to have sorted out the mix-up. I am being kept in the dark about it. On top of that, the SIRI saga is dragging on beyond its normal 60-day investigation period and the situation is getting frustrating.

I am concerned I may never receive a copy of my true biopsy results due to the mix-up. Does anyone here have any advice for me as to what I should do next to obtain the corrected  biopsy results before I get their SIRI report on the mix-up situation? Any advice would be much appreciated and hopefully there is a lawyer or two amongst you on the PCUK community.group.

Regards

Rafael

He who lives, loves and knows what it means to die  - Jiddu Krishnamurti 

User
Posted 16 Mar 2019 at 17:24

You don’t need a lawyer. Write to the hospital and the NHS trust stating that you are making a Subject Access Request and set out exactly what information you want ... the corrected biopsy report, all records relating to the investigation of the error, and anything else that you think you may need. As long as you are specific about what you want and you are only requesting records relating to yourself, the hospital and Trust have a limited period of time to respond and cannot argue that the request was too broad or that it would take too long to gather the information. If they do not reply within time they have breached their statutory duty and you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office.

There is good advice on the ICO website about how to make a SAR https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/your-right-of-access/

The relevant hospital and trust should both provide information on their website about who to send a SAR to but the law says that even if you sent it to the wrong person or department, that does not affect their duty to give you the information within one month. If they cant provide it in one month, they must write explaining to you why they need more time.

Interestingly, the vast majority of cases being investigated by the ICO relate to NHS organisations.

Edited by moderator 23 Oct 2023 at 15:14  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Mar 2019 at 01:31

I got a copy of my records from the very same Royal Surrey County Hospital in short order, without any problem.

Not because I had anything to complain about, just that I am nosey and like to know what’s what. It took them over six weeks to deliver my post-op pathology report, and when I looked through the records it seems Tommy the Tumour was stuck in a freezer for over four weeks before they even got round to examining him. I was told the path lab there is hopelessly short-staffed, which no doubt contributed to the confusion in your case.

The records - a file about an inch thick - are mostly boring, with my daily temperature and BP readings, which medications I was given, what I had to eat, etc.,  etc.

Cheers, John.

Edited by member 17 Mar 2019 at 01:33  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Mar 2019 at 11:07
But Rafael will specifically request all emails and other records relating to the investigation of his case rather than asking for his medical records.

User
Posted 17 Mar 2019 at 13:29

Thank you Lyn for your helpful reply. I am in touch with the investigation team and I was assured by them that the investigation would be completed by the end of next week. The report will then be handed to the CCG to be ratified before they can give me a copy. However, they still failed to mention anything about my request for a copy of the corrected biopsy report despite me asking for it on two occasions. The team urged me to wait for the report and they would then invite me to discuss it with them. My dilemma is that since I shall be expecting the report within 4/5 weeks now, is it worth waiting before I take the SAR route which may take 4 weeks? I will follow your advice and look into the SAR situation and I will consider writing to them tomorrow via email.

I am finding the situation frustrating and in some ways stressful. It is clear that the investigation team will have covered almost all aspects of what need to be looked into with the exception of my request for the corrected biopsy report, if ever they have attended to that task.

Thank you Lyn for your advice and suggestion on the SAR route, which I was not aware of in the first place.

Regards

Rafael

User
Posted 17 Mar 2019 at 13:56
This is an absolute disgrace. Rafael. I know that money can't make up for the fact that you've had life-changing surgery which was very likely completely unnecessary, but I sincerely hope that you get a VERY sizeable pay-out from this to allow you to enjoy many more holidays in Barbados!

All the best,

Chris

User
Posted 17 Mar 2019 at 14:42

I have made a SAR request for the corrected  biopsy result just now via email to my hospital's  SA team and received an automated response confirming that my email has been received.

All I can do now.is to sit back and wait. I will certainly let you know if I managed to get a copy. By the way Mane has just scored for Liverpool...

Regards

Rafael

User
Posted 17 Mar 2019 at 15:35

....By the way Mane has just scored for Liverpool...

Regards

Rafael

Pleased you have got your priorities right 😉

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 17 Mar 2019 at 15:43
And Millwall is doing well, hammering poor Brighton...

Regards

Rafael.

User
Posted 17 Mar 2019 at 16:58
I think it is absolutely right to put in the SAR as well as waiting for the official report and meeting. By the official report and meeting, they can control what information is provided to you and my guess is that their legal team will be involved in the wording. The SAR gives you the raw data which may be important when it comes to taking legal action.

User
Posted 18 Mar 2019 at 19:13

I filled in the SAR form online this morning and attached copies of papers they requested me to email. I got back a response this afternoon from the SA team saying that all is in order and they are proceeding with my request. Boy, that was quick and it is thanks to Lyn and PCUK that the ball is rolling.

One of the attachments I forwarded to the SA team was a copy of my email dated 5 February last month to the consultant urologist asking for a copy of the corrected biopsy results. It was 7 weeks ago and has remained unresponded. I can't wait to see how things develop.

Regards

Rafael

User
Posted 18 Mar 2019 at 19:44
Good luck

User
Posted 11 Apr 2019 at 10:45

Today I received a copy of the corrected TRUS biopsy report via SAR. I was, and still am, shocked to read the one line comment on the 20 cores (10mm - 18mm lengths) "Histological slides show prostatic tissue with a few foci of high grade PIN."

What a vast difference my actual TRUS biopsy report is compared with the wrong biopsy report indicating that I had 40 - 70% adenocarcinoma in 14 cores, which led me to make a decision to remove my prostate gland.

While I am aware that high grade PIN is a precursor to prostate cancer, there would be no need for me to make a Gadarene rush to take drastic action. I would have had several choices available to me, such as active monitoring, watchful waiting, surveillance, etc. Even though pathological examination of my prostate gland revealed two ardenocarcinoma spots measuring 2mm and 3mm, these formed only less than 1% (1cc.) of the volume of my prostate gland.

I could have kept my prostate gland for much longer, maybe for a good number of years, but there I go. I am now waiting for the SIRI report. It is at present in the hands of the CCG. I expect to receive it next week.

I need to sit down, have a cup of coffee and reflect on the situation, especially on what could have been but never will be.

Rafael

Edited by member 11 Apr 2019 at 11:26  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Apr 2019 at 13:03
Hi Rafael,

Of course, they can’t tell you about the other guy who got the all-clear(ish) biopsy, who was probably skipping around on AS until the balls-up was identified. He must be devastated too.

Do I think anyone will get the bullet for this heinous error? Doubt it. Has a formal investigation been started to save others falling into the same trap?

I hope you get all the rest of the information soon and an apology ££££?, so you can achieve some form of closure and move on.

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 11 Apr 2019 at 17:50
I am so sorry Rafael, how devastating this news must be. You seem to be remarkably pragmatic about it - are you screaming in private?

User
Posted 11 Apr 2019 at 22:18

Screaming in private? No, I am hissing and containing my fury. I am taking note of what my mother, God rest her soul, told me years ago - "It's done and there's nothing you can do. Get a move on." It was true for her era but times have changed.

At the same time, it is important to keep a cool head and gather all information that I need in  preparation to sue the hospital. I am not by nature a spiteful or vindictive person but in this case I am truly hurt and angry. My wife is very upset too, knowing she encouraged me to take the RP path based on the results.of another patient's biopsy. She shares the feeling of regret and dismay with me.

Once I get hold of the SIRI report, I will be in a good position to make my move.

Regards

Rafael

User
Posted 11 Apr 2019 at 22:39

Hi John, I have not got the foggiest about the other guy. Although I do feel for him, I am blocking him out.

The SIRI report should tell us what happened and what steps they are taking it from future re-occurrence. I have been informed it will not refer to the victims of the mixup and how they propose to compensate them. Let's wait and see what the report says.

Regards

Rafael

User
Posted 12 Apr 2019 at 08:16
You've been the innocent victim of a devastating error, Rafael. It's bad enough being diagnosed with cancer; I can't even begin to imagine how you must be feeling about having had life-changing surgery that's turned out to be completely unnecessary. Your anger is completely understandable.

All I suppose anyone can say is that there's nothing that can be done to reverse it, so it's important not to let it dominate your life. Take the compensation - which I hope will be a LARGE sum - and have a damned good time with it.

Very best wishes,

Chris

User
Posted 12 Apr 2019 at 13:12

Chris,

You're taking the same approach as my wife! I agree entirely that I need to get compensated for the mixup that led to my situation.

I note that the compensation range that the NHS have given for people in my situation or similar is between £30,000 to £135,000 according to one website. This kind of offer is way below what I have in mind as I have included the impact on my wife as a part of the package for my claim. I just need a good solicitor and he/she is hard to find at the moment.

I will wait for the SIRI report and take it up from there. Thank you for your support.

Regards

Rafael

User
Posted 12 Apr 2019 at 16:46
Rafael,

There are a plethora of medical negligence solicitors, so one shouldn’t be too hard to find. Go for a big firm on a contingency fee basis as you are bound to win. Slater and Gordon spring to mind.

Yes, get Mrs Rafael to describe the detrimental effect of your present condition on her life. Her Loveliness, in contrast, seems quite relieved that I have total ED following Professor Whocannotbenamedhere’s ministrations.....She always had karate elbows anyway😉.

You could be looking at a suite at Sandy Lane in perpetuity at this rate!

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 12 Apr 2019 at 17:21

Hi John, of course there are numerous solicitors around - many good, many bad, many greedy and many charitable. I am not interested in taking on contingency solicitors as it would often mean a loss of 25% of compo and often that 25% is not fully recoverable.

I am prepared to pay a solicitor on hourly basis with the provisio that I recover costs on winning the case. At the very moment, the NHS has practically put its hands up but it has not got around to sending me a letter of apology and offering compensation. I somehow have a confident feeling that I can settle the matter directly with the NHS without needing a solicitor. A solicitor would be needed if the NHS compensation offered is derisory. Wait an see when I start to make the move.

I will let PCUK know of my progress.

Rafael 

User
Posted 12 Apr 2019 at 22:53

I am about to put a spanner in the works. Your mother was absolutely right. It’s happened, get on with life. Will you honestly feel better after receiving a huge compensation payout? Yes, you have endured unnecessary surgery but at the end of the day you still have your life ahead of you. I would be grateful for just that! 

User
Posted 13 Apr 2019 at 15:00

Mona,

My mother was also well known for telling people that "Money is not everything but it helps." However, for me I would give good money to have my pre-RP condition back. Knowing that it is not possible, I now live in the knowledge that the quality of life ahead is not much better than the one I anticipated before the op (for me at least). You and others may hold different views and I will respect your views.

Regards

Rafael

User
Posted 13 Apr 2019 at 15:52
Like many others, I despise the ambulance chasing culture whereby individuals are encouraged to sue GPs, NHS trusts or professionals in other sectors due to perceived wrongs, hurt feelings and quite minor errors. However, the NHS compensation scheme exists to acknowledge the suffering caused by major failings in practice or procedure and there can be no doubt that there has been a major failing with serious implications in your case, Rafael. This is demonstrated by the fact that it met the threshold for a SIRI and you & your family deserve every penny you get.

User
Posted 13 Apr 2019 at 16:09

Rafael

Like Lyn, I too despise those who sue the NHS for nonsensical reasons, but in your case I would totally support it. What has been done to you is nothing short of horrendous. I hope you get loads of money, nothing could compensate you for what you and your wife have lost, not really. But you do deserve to get a decent pay out to reflect this huge loss. My heart goes out to you both. 

Love to you both 

Devonmaid xxxx

User
Posted 13 Apr 2019 at 18:50

My husband and myself would be b****y raging if this had happened to us. Although yes the NHS shouldn't be having to fork out for compensation I don't see how else they can be held accountable. Surely if no one claimed they wouldn't be as bothered about making mistakes.

Sometimes it's only by hitting them in their pockets that gets things improved for future patients. After all the NHS seems to be run by bean counters these days. It does not seem a waste of money when I just read today in the papers that HS2 may not go ahead when 4 billion pounds has already been spent so far. (Including large chunk on buying a famous comedian's mansion )

Hope you get a decent payout. 

Ann 

User
Posted 13 Apr 2019 at 19:48
The compensation scheme is run separately - each Trust pays into a membership pot and the Resolution scheme pays out. It also covers the legal bills where a trust is defending a claim. The resolution scheme also monitors cases to ensure that lessons are learned by the individuals / trust but also nationally if relevant.

Private providers delivering services on behalf of the NHS can also opt in if they wish.

User
Posted 13 Apr 2019 at 22:08
I read in the papers that in the last three years exactly half of the yearly NHS budget was immediately allocated to complaints and suing. In fact I was actively encouraged to sue the NHS by AXA for obvious misdiagnosis two years prior to my surgery. They believed I had a very creditable case. I didn’t pursue as I didn’t think I could handle the stress tbh , but a totally ignored psa of 4 to 6 at 46 yrs old, and then given testosterone for two years. We could be living in a mansion !! I try not to look backwards anymore. What is done is done
User
Posted 13 Apr 2019 at 22:13
And I detest insurance companies in general ( legalised fraud ) , so wouldn’t want them to benefit in any way from our beautiful NHS. Everyone makes mistakes , especially if they are given 1/4 of the time they need to do their job properly
User
Posted 14 Apr 2019 at 02:31
Leeds & York NHS Partnership Trust paid a £260,000 premium for the compensation scheme in the financial year 2017/18. Their total income was £141 million. The compensation scheme paid out £31 million to patients as a result of medical claims / errors in the Leeds trust.

Apparently, nationally the majority of money is paid out for maternity / obstetric mistakes leading to the death of a baby or permanent disability, or serious harm / death to the mother.

User
Posted 14 Apr 2019 at 07:32

I really do hate it when people complain and seek to make a quick £ from very stretched state services such as the NHS or our schools.  But sometimes massive injustice and incompetence occurs and sometimes people get hurt.  You have been irreversibly injured and your life, no matter how positive you try to be, will never be the same.  I even wonder if the NHS is guilty of grievous bodily harm, because that’s what’s been done to you.  Living without natural erections and with dry orgasms is not easy, but st least I can accept it was the price that had to be paid in exchange for life.  I would be driven to despair in your case.  You have every right to be angry and I think in some ways you’re being too soft with the hospital.  I’d be off to a solicitor right away if I were you.

User
Posted 14 Apr 2019 at 10:19

Thank you everyone for your comments/opinions, which have got me thinking. I still have a fondness for the NHS as their doctors saved my life in 2009 when I went down with pulmonary embolism following an operation on my foot in a private hospital. Before that, they saved my life when I was a mere 4 years old in 1953, at a time I went down with TB meningitis. This survival led to my deafness.

In my case of the mixup of TRUS biopsy results, it is clear that there is no blame attached to doctors or nurses. Only the Histopatholgy and Radiology departments must take the blame. The SIRI report should pinpoint exactly which of these departments is the culprit - it may be possible that both are to be blamed.  I will definitely sue the NHS and I shall be doing it with some sadness as I have nothing but gratitude for the NHS which has saved my life twice. Once I receive the SIRI report, I will let you know.

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and support,

Regards

Rafael

User
Posted 15 Apr 2019 at 19:53

Late this morning I received the SIRI report via email - paper one on the way to me in the post. I read the report and I am scratching my head in that the investigation team had failed to pinpoint where and how the biopsy samples got mixed up. It appears that the Histopathology and Radiology departments have somehow avoided being blamed and therefore avoided being reprimanded. The DTTO  investigation team labelled the incident as an occurence with a severity level of 5/5 and made a list of few recommendations to avoid future re-occurrence. It reads something like a whitewash.

Now, the report mentioned that the situation came to light when patient A (the other man) was given my biopsy result, he was advised to return 3 months later for another PSA test because the docs did not understand how he, with a PSA of 41, came out with my result. 3 months later, he was tested and found that his PSA rose to 59. He was then sent for MRI scan and it revealed possible signs of tumours. He was further sent for a template biopsy in March 2018 and this result revealed he had adenocarcinoma Grade Group 3, Gleason 7 (4+3) - exactly the same result that was handed to me! It was from that point the hospital became aware that there might have been a mixup of biopsy samples. Patient A gave blood sample for DNA, which later confirmed a match with his template biopsy samples but not the original TRUS samples taken on 8 December 2017. (It turned out that he had his biopsy at 5.10pm, 20 minutes before mine on the same day!)

The hospital then recalled other patients for DNA samples to discover which patient received the wrong result. They dismissed a good number of men and it was not until late October that the hospital came to me. They noticed a pathoogy report on my prostate gland matching the biopsy report that was wrongly given to Patient A. I gave a blood sample  and from there my DNA matched my samples involved in the mixup.

Patient A was not too badly affected by the situation, according to the report, as his treatment was delayed by only 3 months and there was no significant raise in his cancer. He elected for radiotherapy.

The report turned on me, Patient B. Here is one paragraph from the report.

"Patient B, whose correct biopsy results should have been high grade PIN following biopsy obtained on 8 December 2017, decided to proceed with RP with extended lymph node dissection based on incorrect report finding of prostatic adenocarcinoma Grade Group 3 (Gleason 4+3=7) in 13/17 cores. Patient B did not require surgery and the best alternative option he could have had was to be put on active surveillance, his final pathology low risk prostate cancer Gleason 3+4 and 1% prostate volume."

These are the main bits from the report. Not good enough for me. I am more annoyed about the lack of a letter of apology from the hospital.

Rafael

User
Posted 15 Apr 2019 at 21:42

😡

User
Posted 15 Apr 2019 at 22:38

I know a Report should be factual but that almost seems dismissive. Awful Rafael.

Devonmaid xx

User
Posted 15 Apr 2019 at 23:24

You clearly should get an apology from the hospital, but that probably shouldn't be part of the factual report, as it's not the report's authors who should be apologising. Also, the hospital probably has to wait for the report before it can be sure exactly what happened and apologise.

So hopefully, it's more a case of the you haven't got the apology yet.

User
Posted 16 Apr 2019 at 08:36

Andy,

After calming down, I must say you are absolutely correct that it is not the investigators' part to apologise for the mixup.

I shall be writing to them to point out some faults in the report, especially their seemingly veiled attempt to put some possible contribution to the mixup on me due to possible communication difficulty between myself and the ultrasound operator due to my deafness. This is wrong as there were no communication problems at all. Conversation went smoothly via oral communication as I am a proficient lipreader. I cannot see how that affected the labelling of core pots by the assistant, especially when I noted each label contained at least my name, date of  birth, and hospital number.

Another letter will be addressed to the CEO to formally complain about the mixup which led to my present situation and notify the hospital of my intention to claim for compensation. The hospital website did not specify the exact person to complain to - nor did most websites.

I am getting the ball rolling.

Regards

Rafael

User
Posted 16 Apr 2019 at 08:43

Devonmaid

Yes I agree with you. It is also inconclusive and the report failed to pinpoint the cause. The report is also littered with spelling and a few grammatical errors.

At least the report recognise me as a victim of the mixup and this will be something the hospital have to accept and it will play in my favour.

To give you one idea of how professional the SIRI report is, they noted the date of incident as 8 December 2019. I am scratching my head.

Regards

Rafael

Edited by member 16 Apr 2019 at 08:46  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Apr 2019 at 12:51

Today I have starred the ball rolling. Instead of engaging a solicitor  I am proceeding as "litigation in person".

Hopefully there should be something beneficial this way for both myself and the hospital. If at the end the offer from the hospital turns out to be derisory and unacceptable, then I will bring in the legal heavyweights.

Rafael

User
Posted 17 Apr 2019 at 16:25
I believe it’s “Litigant in person”.

Best of luck with your litigation!

Cheers, John.

User
Posted 17 Apr 2019 at 16:58

Hi John, You're correct. I typed it in haste as my missus was waiting for me to go out with her. Thanks for the Good Luck wish and I am keeping my fingers crossed.

The hospital should respond within 3 days.

Rafael.