Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Psa drop

User
Posted 13 Jan 2018 at 08:21
Hi;

Husband started HT Prostap 8 weeks ago ( Gleason 3+4) T2c possible 3 no seminal vesicle involvement N0 m0 coping well with flushes. Imrt in a few months higher dose over 4 weeks.

Psa anxiety this week but results yesterday came in at 0.2 ( dropped from 16.6).

We are really pleased with this drop (I guess it shows Prostap is doing its job?) just wondering if it will go lower? How low is lowest ( if you see what I mean!)

Does this mean the tumour is shrinking/ some cells dying or does it mean the testosterone is depleted therefore the psa drops and the tumour shrinks? I know HT isn’t a cure and alongside the IMRT it’s a belt and braces treatment and we have a very very long way to go but just wanted a steer.

Thanks as ever

User
Posted 13 Jan 2018 at 10:31

Don’t overthink it Jenny - there is no definitive PSA level that he should drop to or below. It varies from man to man. He should hit his nadir (the lowest his PSA will go to and therefore the benchmark for future years) about 18 months after the RT finishes.

The PSA is a chemical given off by the cancer cells, not something that feeds the cancer cells. So the drop to 0.2 indicates that the cancer is being starved and is not being very active because it has no food / energy.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 13 Jan 2018 at 11:39

Thanks Lyn;
Yup If overthinking burnt calories I would be very slim!
:D

User
Posted 13 Jan 2018 at 19:37

Jenny, The way to look at this is that 0.2 is a very good start. With luck the nadir will be a tad lower. If it gets below 0.1 or is described as undetectable, you can celebrate. That doesn't mean the PCa may not recur, but it does offer a much more hopeful future. I hope it turns out that way for you.

AC

User
Posted 13 Jan 2018 at 19:53

Thank you AC;
And all the best to you through this rollercoaster ride. X