I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Weight gain

User
Posted 24 Jan 2018 at 21:16
Hi,,I finished radiotherapy and hormone treatment beginning of october 2017,had blood test 1/Dec and everything looking good.Is it normal to still be putting on weight,over 14 lbs since before Xmas,I watch my diet and am reasonably active but very difficult to lose weight,anybody else had this problem,thanks tony
User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 19:28

I managed to gain about 10 pounds over 9 months, even though I watched what I was eating, and walked a few miles everyday. Managed now to lose a few pounds, roast chicken and salad. Never eaten salad before in my life, but seems to be working.

toad

User
Posted 25 Jan 2018 at 17:37

I disagree with Andrew. The hormones stay in your body for up to nine months, so I think this is the standard lethargy/weight gain phenomenon we all find with ADT. There is simple physics behind this. Energy in equals energy out for a stable system. Eat too much, don't exercise enough and the energy in converts to weight gain. Correct the imbalance by adjusting your intake of food (and drink, sorry!) and exercising more until you get back to your target weight. But don't go mad - a pound of two off per week is plenty fast enough.

I write from experience. I too allowed a stone to creep on but I got it off, painlessly. Amazing how much more energetic you feel minus the flab!

AC

User
Posted 25 Jan 2018 at 18:01

A change of that amount of weight in a short time frame is worth a check with GP just to be sure it's just down to the body trying to readjust.

Pre HT weight was self balancing -diet was not in my head. Whilst on HT and since (some 9 years) I have to take charge of my weight. No big deal but does long term HT with its weight issues change the way the body regulates itself or just coincidence?

Ray

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 Jan 2018 at 07:14

Hello Fedup, can't help with your query but I'm sure somebody else an so bumping you

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 25 Jan 2018 at 17:37

I disagree with Andrew. The hormones stay in your body for up to nine months, so I think this is the standard lethargy/weight gain phenomenon we all find with ADT. There is simple physics behind this. Energy in equals energy out for a stable system. Eat too much, don't exercise enough and the energy in converts to weight gain. Correct the imbalance by adjusting your intake of food (and drink, sorry!) and exercising more until you get back to your target weight. But don't go mad - a pound of two off per week is plenty fast enough.

I write from experience. I too allowed a stone to creep on but I got it off, painlessly. Amazing how much more energetic you feel minus the flab!

AC

User
Posted 25 Jan 2018 at 18:01

A change of that amount of weight in a short time frame is worth a check with GP just to be sure it's just down to the body trying to readjust.

Pre HT weight was self balancing -diet was not in my head. Whilst on HT and since (some 9 years) I have to take charge of my weight. No big deal but does long term HT with its weight issues change the way the body regulates itself or just coincidence?

Ray

User
Posted 25 Jan 2018 at 18:41

Are your ankles swollen?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Jan 2018 at 21:17
Thank you, I have never had a weight problem before,so will just have to work harder to get rid of it,thanks
User
Posted 25 Jan 2018 at 21:27
Hi,thanks for the reply,no my ankles are fine,all the weight is around my stomach,I have started a low carb diet and continue to exercise and see what happens,thanks tony

User
Posted 26 Jan 2018 at 19:28

I managed to gain about 10 pounds over 9 months, even though I watched what I was eating, and walked a few miles everyday. Managed now to lose a few pounds, roast chicken and salad. Never eaten salad before in my life, but seems to be working.

toad