Show search

Notification

Error
12>

Never give up

User
Posted 01 Mar 2018 at 22:42
Hi All

For those of you who do not know me, I was diagnosed November 2014, Gleason 9 PSA 342 T4n1m1a aged 49.

I was asked by someone to post good things here as it is too easy when diagnosed to think the world is ending (understandably) and too often this site looks only and the sad things about Pca.

I wanted to tell you about my latest situation and (in my opinion) epic challenges over the next 7 weeks.

I have been on abiraterone for over 2 years, my PSA as of Monday was 0.1, I had early chemo, radiotherapy and was briefly on biclutamide.

On Saturday, I leave for the Canadian Arctic as I am competing in an ultra marathon like none I have done before.

This race called the 6633 ultra (6633 is the latitude of the Arctic circle). I start the race next Thursday and then have a non stop 380 mile race north pulling a sledge. I am on my own against 26 other competitors. It is one of the toughest foot races in the world, some years no one finishes.

I then get back to the UK 22nd March and two weeks later go to the Sahara to run 250k in the Marathin Des Sables. The temperatures are likely to go from -50c to +50c over the two races.

Why am I doing this? it's a challenge (I have no idea how far I will get), it makes me feel alive (and will scare the pants off me regularly), I want to show everyone with prostate cancer or who have any bad things in their life that you don't have to give up and finally, I want to raise funds and awareness for Prostate Cancer Uk so that this site we all use can exist, they can fund research into a better test and cure so by the time my teenagers are at the risk pca will be tamed.

Don't get me wrong, I know I am lucky that I can still contemplate these events and many are unable to even get out of their house but everyone has the capacity to push themselves in some way, it may only be a smile even though one may feel rubbish.

Whilst I have raised a fair few quid for PCUK since diagnosis I also understand the power of many so I have encouraged many of my friends, colleagues and their friends do things to raise funds too, perhaps you know someone who is able to do something in this regard even if you are sadly unable.

If you want to follow the Arctic race the website is www.6633ultra.com , I will let you know on this post the Sahara race details when (hopefully) get back from the Arctic. If you feel able to sponsor me (i.e. PCUK ) the my JG site is www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Kevin-webber6 . I also have a website in which I try to encourage people to live for the day, www.makethemostof.it

I apologise if I have offended or upset anyone in what I have written here but hope that I may have motivated and encouraged many to never give up and make the most of it.

Thanks Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 01 Mar 2018 at 22:42
Hi All

For those of you who do not know me, I was diagnosed November 2014, Gleason 9 PSA 342 T4n1m1a aged 49.

I was asked by someone to post good things here as it is too easy when diagnosed to think the world is ending (understandably) and too often this site looks only and the sad things about Pca.

I wanted to tell you about my latest situation and (in my opinion) epic challenges over the next 7 weeks.

I have been on abiraterone for over 2 years, my PSA as of Monday was 0.1, I had early chemo, radiotherapy and was briefly on biclutamide.

On Saturday, I leave for the Canadian Arctic as I am competing in an ultra marathon like none I have done before.

This race called the 6633 ultra (6633 is the latitude of the Arctic circle). I start the race next Thursday and then have a non stop 380 mile race north pulling a sledge. I am on my own against 26 other competitors. It is one of the toughest foot races in the world, some years no one finishes.

I then get back to the UK 22nd March and two weeks later go to the Sahara to run 250k in the Marathin Des Sables. The temperatures are likely to go from -50c to +50c over the two races.

Why am I doing this? it's a challenge (I have no idea how far I will get), it makes me feel alive (and will scare the pants off me regularly), I want to show everyone with prostate cancer or who have any bad things in their life that you don't have to give up and finally, I want to raise funds and awareness for Prostate Cancer Uk so that this site we all use can exist, they can fund research into a better test and cure so by the time my teenagers are at the risk pca will be tamed.

Don't get me wrong, I know I am lucky that I can still contemplate these events and many are unable to even get out of their house but everyone has the capacity to push themselves in some way, it may only be a smile even though one may feel rubbish.

Whilst I have raised a fair few quid for PCUK since diagnosis I also understand the power of many so I have encouraged many of my friends, colleagues and their friends do things to raise funds too, perhaps you know someone who is able to do something in this regard even if you are sadly unable.

If you want to follow the Arctic race the website is www.6633ultra.com , I will let you know on this post the Sahara race details when (hopefully) get back from the Arctic. If you feel able to sponsor me (i.e. PCUK ) the my JG site is www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Kevin-webber6 . I also have a website in which I try to encourage people to live for the day, www.makethemostof.it

I apologise if I have offended or upset anyone in what I have written here but hope that I may have motivated and encouraged many to never give up and make the most of it.

Thanks Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 23 May 2018 at 21:33

I always feel a little uncomfortable writing good stuff when I know that many are having a tough time of it but i hope that those new to advanced prostate cancer or worried that there is no future but currently treading water read this and take some hope.

T4n1m1a Gleason 9, I have been on abiraterone now for 28 months and today  my PSA was it’s lowest ever at 0.06 

my onco has always said that as my PSA was 342 on diagnosis an increase in PSA will be the signal that stuff is not going right so a further drop this month (0.08 last and a few months ago the lowest was 0.11) has left him speechless and me happy. 

Those who have been here a while know that I run (well shuffle) ultramarathons, I have done a few this year already and have loads more lined up. they All raise funds and profile  for Pcuk (my change in avatar is me running in the Sahara this year) so my lower score just means I can carry on doing so for a bit longer. I know it won’t last forever but I feel I am making the most of it every day, even the rubbish ones.

hope those that can don’t waste the days now. I was presenting recently and said, on my demise, I won’t wish I watched more tv, felt sad or was selfish but I may wish I worked harder to keep  the friends I had,  went out and enjoyed life every day and did something to help others. If you can make the latter a reality as I try to then when the sad day comes we may not have so many or any regrets.

hope you all have a great day tomorrow, no matter what, never give up.

kev

User
Posted 18 Apr 2018 at 21:16
Hi all, thanks for your kind words. Well I finished the MDS for a third consecutive year. I don't think anyone with any T4 cancer has done that before. Loved every second, hope that others go for it whatever their own personal "it" is. Even the bad days are a gift and it would be wrong to not make the most of any gift received.

I have also raised over £20k for Pcuk this time around so thanks to all who support this great charity.

Sadly I did not get a place at Sunday's London marathon but I will be at mile 13 to cheer on all those with a Pcuk vest on the charity cheering station as money raised will stop families like all of ours not having to go through what ours are in years to come.

Kev

Ps, I have more races planned for 2018, never give up! Www.makethemostof.it

User
Posted 05 Mar 2018 at 19:44
Not only is Kev an amazing ambassador for PCUK he has been a great support to me since my diagnosis. It truly is amazing what Kev has been able to do since his diagnosis and it proves that we are all affected by the treatment in different ways. I’m also a runner, probably a good bit faster than Kev at our prime, but I’m now finding the running a constant battle. I’m taking on the London Marathon and raising funds for PCUK and training has been seriously tough. Pre diagnosis and treatment I was still banging out half marathons at sub 1.40 aged 60. I’ve done two since starting treatment in 1.56 and 1.57 but yesterday had a massive battle to complete a 13 mile training run in 2.22. Just praying that Kev comes back safe and sound
User
Posted 02 Mar 2018 at 07:45

We will be watching your progress with the magic of Facebook Kev - it would be great though if you could also post here the links to your most recent BBC interview, etc for those who don’t have you on social media.

Good luck, carry on being amazing xxx

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Mar 2018 at 08:18

Irun,

This is just fantastic.

Your positivity is just inspiring.

Regards

Dave

"Incurable cancer does not mean it is untreatable and does not mean it is terminal either"
User
Posted 02 Mar 2018 at 09:00
Thanks Kev, very motivating and inspirational and I agree we need the positive stories. Please keep on telling us of your challenges, we really do need the balance.

And good luck.

All the best, Janet

User
Posted 02 Mar 2018 at 09:07

Quote"
"I apologise if I have offended or upset anyone in what I have written here but hope that I may have motivated and encouraged many to never give up and make the most of it.
Thanks Kev"

Offended? Never Kev !
OK, so there may be some on here who when they are really down will not be able to look at your post positively, they may even take the view "It's alright for you" and tat is understandable but..............

Having followed you for a little while now I know how much you put into these races, not just financially (I don't think you actually mentioned that you fund all the training and the expenses for these races yourself) but the sheer physical aspect of forcing yourself to train when you really don't feel up to it.

There is also the impact on your family as they don't see so much of you because you are always preparing/training for a race.

I would urge the members here to support you in any way they can, even a a couple of quid counts if many of us do it. It all mounts up.

Mostly I urge people to take heart from your posts. To read your profile for those who haven't met you before, so that they can gain an element of a member who tests himself constantly in order to never let this disease get the better of him and to make his life worthwhile by doing what he can to help others in the long run (no pun intended!)

Look out for bears and wolves and goodness knows what else. We are with you all the way as usual.

Good luck, I know whatever the outcome, you will have done your best. If the challenging conditions beat you then so be it. I have a feeling it will take a lot before you accept that the weather is bigger and better than you are!!

Keep strong

If you just reach the 120 mile point and leave it at that it is still a brilliantly, wonderful achievement and disappointing as that will be for you, I know that it is so much more than the average fit and healthy runner is capable of.

Best Wishes

Sandra

Edited by member 02 Mar 2018 at 09:25  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 02 Mar 2018 at 09:08

Absolutely amazing Kevin, I just don’t know where you find the energy and strength. If I try to run 50 meters I’m out of breath.

All the best for both runs. I’ll follow you on 6633.

Stu.

Edited by member 02 Mar 2018 at 09:10  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Mar 2018 at 10:30
Good luck mate I will be following your epic journey but from the warmth of my house 😀👍
Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 02 Mar 2018 at 11:00

Hi Kev,

I intend following your progress and am about to head over to your justgiving page.

Although a good few years older than you I like to think I’m pretty fit but I’ve had to stop for a breather just reading about your forthcoming adventures 😀

All the best

Dave

User
Posted 02 Mar 2018 at 11:12

Sounds fantastic Kev. Keep inspiring us all ! And the best of luck on your adventure.

User
Posted 02 Mar 2018 at 14:50

Keep going Kev you’re an inspiration to us all ,
Best wishes
Debby

User
Posted 02 Mar 2018 at 16:03

Good Luck ! Will be following your progress and adventure with huge interest.

User
Posted 02 Mar 2018 at 16:09

Wishing you the best of luck.

Just had an appointment this week which we need a lift from and reading this has done just that!

User
Posted 03 Mar 2018 at 02:33
Good Luck, Kev.

Stay safe.

Steve

User
Posted 03 Mar 2018 at 08:55
Morning Kev,

Not long ago another gentleman on this site inspired me to get myself down to the gym after I'd read his story. After I've finished this message I'm out of bed, kit on, then a long walk in the snow. Thanks for the inspiration, and all my best wishes to you mate on your epic quest.Take care.

Paul

User
Posted 04 Mar 2018 at 09:13

Well done Kevlaa

Makes my Sat morning parkruns pale into insignificance lol

Hope you manage to finish as I know how gutted you will be although there wouldn’t be any reason to be at all.

Take care and enjoy it

Bri

User
Posted 04 Mar 2018 at 10:36

Good luck Kev on your journeys now and in the future.

Ray

User
Posted 04 Mar 2018 at 16:57

Good on you Kevin.

Good luck with every thing you do.

Chris.

User
Posted 04 Mar 2018 at 22:24

For you, its a walk in the park.

Run Kevin Run.

x

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 04 Mar 2018 at 22:57
Hi Kevin, best of luck in your races, sounds fantastic. Everyone needs a boost of positivity from time to time , and this does the trick. I am a keen runner and have completed a number of marathons , but lately the tiredness has taken its toll ,and motivation levels are low at the moment. Your endeavours over the next few weeks and months are truly inspirational and just what I need to get running again and get a decent level of fitness again.

Best wishes to you

Keithyboy

User
Posted 13 Mar 2018 at 08:38

Hi Kev,

Thanks for the email and the news of your remarkable achievement at the 6633. It was only when I actually looked up what 120+ meant a couple of days ago that I realised that you had intended to go the full 380!! You shouldn’t even be thinking that you may have let anyone down. I’m in tears here just at the thought of you feeling that way...it’s the hormones 😀😀

All the best and take care

Dave

User
Posted 05 Apr 2018 at 16:13
I am a high level cyclist and have found Kev’s Post very helpful to clarify my position on competing and training. I am 66 Gleason 9, PSA 38 T2c.
User
Posted 05 Apr 2018 at 20:35
Thanks for all of your kind words, so for my next trick, I am off to the Sahara tomorrow to run in the Marathon Des Sables, 250k self sufficient for a week. It will be 50c at times in the sun, over 40c in the shade.

Three years ago I never thought I would run again and now I am competing in this race for a third time.

If you want to follow my tracker or send me messages then you can once the race starts Sunday morning my name is Kevin webber, race number 658 www.live.marathondessables.com/waatracking/en-us/mds2018

I hope that it will encourage you all to chase your dreams no matter what.

Thanks

Kev

User
Posted 05 Apr 2018 at 20:50

All the very best Kev. I still don’t know how you do it. 30 yrs mostly manual labour has ensured I can’t even run at 51 anymore. I even struggle to kneel fully at the care home I work at. I don’t fully understand it having been a gym bunny for 20 yrs at least. I was a marine engineer officer for 7 yrs. I remember 40 C average for six months in the engine room , 60C if at the top of the boilers — you couldn’t pick a spanner up even.
I can’t even believe you are doing what you do Kev. Keep it up.

User
Posted 05 Apr 2018 at 20:54

We will be watching your progress and cheering you on Kev xxx

And for anyone that hasn't sponsored him but wants to, here is the link again :-) www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Kevin-webber6

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Apr 2018 at 20:56
Kevin

Best wishes for the trip hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 05 Apr 2018 at 21:29

You continue to inspire us all ,all the very best .
Debby

User
Posted 05 Apr 2018 at 21:37

Good luck with everything you do, inspirational to say the least !!

Viv
X

The only time you should look back is to see how far you have come
User
Posted 05 Apr 2018 at 22:31
Good luck with everything. You are an inspiration. My husband isn’t on here but I will definitely be telling him your story

Denise x

User
Posted 05 Apr 2018 at 22:36
Kevin,

Hope it goes well. Keeping on running!

Best wishes, Arthur

Edited by member 06 Apr 2018 at 08:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Apr 2018 at 23:00
Good Luck, Kev.

Stay safe. We want to see you run many more races.

Steve

Edited by member 05 Apr 2018 at 23:04  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Apr 2018 at 11:42

You are an inspiration!

Best wishes

User
Posted 07 Apr 2018 at 20:50

So, Kev the "NutteRunner" is off again?

Blimey.

I don't know how you do it?

I don't know where you get the strength?

I don't know how you brain it?

+ FFS, I don't care. Just keep at it, just keep doing it.

You are an (not quite) ordinary bloke doing ydoolb extraordinary things. Respect. And a smattering of AWE!! Or WHY!! :-)

I'll be watching and monitoring you to make sure you don't slack! Get it done.

x

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 17 Apr 2018 at 20:25
Thank you. You are an inspiration. Its good to hear your positivity and encouragement.
User
Posted 18 Apr 2018 at 21:26

Many congratulations Kevin on a splendid personal achievement.

Well done young man !!

User
Posted 18 Apr 2018 at 22:23

Very well done mate.

dave

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 18 Apr 2018 at 22:55

Our very own marathon man ! So very proud of all your achievements .
Best wishes
Debby

User
Posted 19 Apr 2018 at 07:19
Kevin

Congratulations and well done on your recent achievements and all the fund raising you do.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 08 May 2018 at 16:11
I certain admire what younhave achieved in the face of severe adversity. I’m Gleason 4:5 T2c and once I get radiotherapy over with I would like to emulate your fundraising efforts, albeit in a reduced scale, cycling, as I cannot run due to degraded discs caused by too much road running in my 30’s!

My problem would be the incurred costs of entering and travelling on state pension.

User
Posted 23 May 2018 at 21:47
Thanks Kev as always wise words and hope .

Gary had his 8 weekly app yesterday and the PSA is still undetectable,fatigue is the main factor but he’s still managing to work full time and enjoy our 4th grandchild born on Sunday (4 in 22 months !)

Best wishes

Debby

User
Posted 24 May 2018 at 05:46
Hi Irun

Dont feel "uncomfortable writing good stuff" its encouraging and your achievements are absolutely amazing and inspirational.

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 24 May 2018 at 09:26
Good to hear about your news Kevin,

Keep on shuffling.

dave

User
Posted 24 May 2018 at 11:17

Brilliant news Kev,

It is great to read your positive posts.

I will soon be on Abbi and can only hope that my results are as positive as yours

Regards

Dave

"Incurable cancer does not mean it is untreatable and does not mean it is terminal either"
User
Posted 24 May 2018 at 21:08

Great to read your treatment is keeping your PSA amazingly low Kevin.

You are so right about making the most of each day. 

Thanks for your inspirational post and the positive news.

Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 24 May 2018 at 22:15
Thanks Kev.

I have been very negative but your posts are inspiring.

User
Posted 25 May 2018 at 18:37
Well said Kev.

Paul

User
Posted 26 May 2018 at 11:06

Superb stuff. Really inspirational and the more stories like yours the better. 

User
Posted 26 May 2018 at 19:54
Never feel guilty Kev for trying to encourage others to make the most of their lives.

You are leading by example.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 02 Mar 2018 at 07:45

We will be watching your progress with the magic of Facebook Kev - it would be great though if you could also post here the links to your most recent BBC interview, etc for those who don’t have you on social media.

Good luck, carry on being amazing xxx

User
Posted 02 Mar 2018 at 08:18

Irun,

This is just fantastic.

Your positivity is just inspiring.

Regards

Dave

User
Posted 02 Mar 2018 at 09:00
Thanks Kev, very motivating and inspirational and I agree we need the positive stories. Please keep on telling us of your challenges, we really do need the balance.

And good luck.

All the best, Janet

User
Posted 02 Mar 2018 at 09:07

Quote"
"I apologise if I have offended or upset anyone in what I have written here but hope that I may have motivated and encouraged many to never give up and make the most of it.
Thanks Kev"

Offended? Never Kev !
OK, so there may be some on here who when they are really down will not be able to look at your post positively, they may even take the view "It's alright for you" and tat is understandable but..............

Having followed you for a little while now I know how much you put into these races, not just financially (I don't think you actually mentioned that you fund all the training and the expenses for these races yourself) but the sheer physical aspect of forcing yourself to train when you really don't feel up to it.

There is also the impact on your family as they don't see so much of you because you are always preparing/training for a race.

I would urge the members here to support you in any way they can, even a a couple of quid counts if many of us do it. It all mounts up.

Mostly I urge people to take heart from your posts. To read your profile for those who haven't met you before, so that they can gain an element of a member who tests himself constantly in order to never let this disease get the better of him and to make his life worthwhile by doing what he can to help others in the long run (no pun intended!)

Look out for bears and wolves and goodness knows what else. We are with you all the way as usual.

Good luck, I know whatever the outcome, you will have done your best. If the challenging conditions beat you then so be it. I have a feeling it will take a lot before you accept that the weather is bigger and better than you are!!

Keep strong

If you just reach the 120 mile point and leave it at that it is still a brilliantly, wonderful achievement and disappointing as that will be for you, I know that it is so much more than the average fit and healthy runner is capable of.

Best Wishes

Sandra

Edited by member 02 Mar 2018 at 09:25  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Mar 2018 at 09:08

Absolutely amazing Kevin, I just don’t know where you find the energy and strength. If I try to run 50 meters I’m out of breath.

All the best for both runs. I’ll follow you on 6633.

Stu.

Edited by member 02 Mar 2018 at 09:10  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Mar 2018 at 10:30
Good luck mate I will be following your epic journey but from the warmth of my house 😀👍
Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 02 Mar 2018 at 11:00

Hi Kev,

I intend following your progress and am about to head over to your justgiving page.

Although a good few years older than you I like to think I’m pretty fit but I’ve had to stop for a breather just reading about your forthcoming adventures 😀

All the best

Dave

User
Posted 02 Mar 2018 at 11:12

Sounds fantastic Kev. Keep inspiring us all ! And the best of luck on your adventure.

User
Posted 02 Mar 2018 at 14:50

Keep going Kev you’re an inspiration to us all ,
Best wishes
Debby

User
Posted 02 Mar 2018 at 16:03

Good Luck ! Will be following your progress and adventure with huge interest.

User
Posted 02 Mar 2018 at 16:09

Wishing you the best of luck.

Just had an appointment this week which we need a lift from and reading this has done just that!

User
Posted 03 Mar 2018 at 02:33
Good Luck, Kev.

Stay safe.

Steve

User
Posted 03 Mar 2018 at 08:55
Morning Kev,

Not long ago another gentleman on this site inspired me to get myself down to the gym after I'd read his story. After I've finished this message I'm out of bed, kit on, then a long walk in the snow. Thanks for the inspiration, and all my best wishes to you mate on your epic quest.Take care.

Paul

User
Posted 04 Mar 2018 at 09:13

Well done Kevlaa

Makes my Sat morning parkruns pale into insignificance lol

Hope you manage to finish as I know how gutted you will be although there wouldn’t be any reason to be at all.

Take care and enjoy it

Bri

User
Posted 04 Mar 2018 at 10:36

Good luck Kev on your journeys now and in the future.

Ray

User
Posted 04 Mar 2018 at 16:57

Good on you Kevin.

Good luck with every thing you do.

Chris.

User
Posted 04 Mar 2018 at 22:24

For you, its a walk in the park.

Run Kevin Run.

x

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 04 Mar 2018 at 22:57
Hi Kevin, best of luck in your races, sounds fantastic. Everyone needs a boost of positivity from time to time , and this does the trick. I am a keen runner and have completed a number of marathons , but lately the tiredness has taken its toll ,and motivation levels are low at the moment. Your endeavours over the next few weeks and months are truly inspirational and just what I need to get running again and get a decent level of fitness again.

Best wishes to you

Keithyboy

User
Posted 05 Mar 2018 at 19:44
Not only is Kev an amazing ambassador for PCUK he has been a great support to me since my diagnosis. It truly is amazing what Kev has been able to do since his diagnosis and it proves that we are all affected by the treatment in different ways. I’m also a runner, probably a good bit faster than Kev at our prime, but I’m now finding the running a constant battle. I’m taking on the London Marathon and raising funds for PCUK and training has been seriously tough. Pre diagnosis and treatment I was still banging out half marathons at sub 1.40 aged 60. I’ve done two since starting treatment in 1.56 and 1.57 but yesterday had a massive battle to complete a 13 mile training run in 2.22. Just praying that Kev comes back safe and sound
User
Posted 11 Mar 2018 at 10:57

Hi Kevin,

Guess you won’t see this for a while but I have been using Trackleaders to follow your progress. I hope all is ok as that suggests you were still heading along the Dempster Highway instead of in to Fort McPherson.

Or was that a requirement to get the mileage in before reaching Fort McPherson?

All the best

Dave

Edited by member 11 Mar 2018 at 17:53  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 13 Mar 2018 at 08:38

Hi Kev,

Thanks for the email and the news of your remarkable achievement at the 6633. It was only when I actually looked up what 120+ meant a couple of days ago that I realised that you had intended to go the full 380!! You shouldn’t even be thinking that you may have let anyone down. I’m in tears here just at the thought of you feeling that way...it’s the hormones 😀😀

All the best and take care

Dave

User
Posted 05 Apr 2018 at 16:13
I am a high level cyclist and have found Kev’s Post very helpful to clarify my position on competing and training. I am 66 Gleason 9, PSA 38 T2c.
User
Posted 05 Apr 2018 at 20:35
Thanks for all of your kind words, so for my next trick, I am off to the Sahara tomorrow to run in the Marathon Des Sables, 250k self sufficient for a week. It will be 50c at times in the sun, over 40c in the shade.

Three years ago I never thought I would run again and now I am competing in this race for a third time.

If you want to follow my tracker or send me messages then you can once the race starts Sunday morning my name is Kevin webber, race number 658 www.live.marathondessables.com/waatracking/en-us/mds2018

I hope that it will encourage you all to chase your dreams no matter what.

Thanks

Kev

User
Posted 05 Apr 2018 at 20:50

All the very best Kev. I still don’t know how you do it. 30 yrs mostly manual labour has ensured I can’t even run at 51 anymore. I even struggle to kneel fully at the care home I work at. I don’t fully understand it having been a gym bunny for 20 yrs at least. I was a marine engineer officer for 7 yrs. I remember 40 C average for six months in the engine room , 60C if at the top of the boilers — you couldn’t pick a spanner up even.
I can’t even believe you are doing what you do Kev. Keep it up.

User
Posted 05 Apr 2018 at 20:54

We will be watching your progress and cheering you on Kev xxx

And for anyone that hasn't sponsored him but wants to, here is the link again :-) www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Kevin-webber6

User
Posted 05 Apr 2018 at 20:56
Kevin

Best wishes for the trip hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 05 Apr 2018 at 21:29

You continue to inspire us all ,all the very best .
Debby

User
Posted 05 Apr 2018 at 21:37

Good luck with everything you do, inspirational to say the least !!

Viv
X

The only time you should look back is to see how far you have come
User
Posted 05 Apr 2018 at 22:31
Good luck with everything. You are an inspiration. My husband isn’t on here but I will definitely be telling him your story

Denise x

User
Posted 05 Apr 2018 at 22:36
Kevin,

Hope it goes well. Keeping on running!

Best wishes, Arthur

Edited by member 06 Apr 2018 at 08:19  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Apr 2018 at 23:00
Good Luck, Kev.

Stay safe. We want to see you run many more races.

Steve

Edited by member 05 Apr 2018 at 23:04  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Apr 2018 at 11:42

You are an inspiration!

Best wishes

User
Posted 07 Apr 2018 at 20:50

So, Kev the "NutteRunner" is off again?

Blimey.

I don't know how you do it?

I don't know where you get the strength?

I don't know how you brain it?

+ FFS, I don't care. Just keep at it, just keep doing it.

You are an (not quite) ordinary bloke doing ydoolb extraordinary things. Respect. And a smattering of AWE!! Or WHY!! :-)

I'll be watching and monitoring you to make sure you don't slack! Get it done.

x

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 17 Apr 2018 at 20:25
Thank you. You are an inspiration. Its good to hear your positivity and encouragement.
User
Posted 18 Apr 2018 at 21:16
Hi all, thanks for your kind words. Well I finished the MDS for a third consecutive year. I don't think anyone with any T4 cancer has done that before. Loved every second, hope that others go for it whatever their own personal "it" is. Even the bad days are a gift and it would be wrong to not make the most of any gift received.

I have also raised over £20k for Pcuk this time around so thanks to all who support this great charity.

Sadly I did not get a place at Sunday's London marathon but I will be at mile 13 to cheer on all those with a Pcuk vest on the charity cheering station as money raised will stop families like all of ours not having to go through what ours are in years to come.

Kev

Ps, I have more races planned for 2018, never give up! Www.makethemostof.it

User
Posted 18 Apr 2018 at 21:26

Many congratulations Kevin on a splendid personal achievement.

Well done young man !!

User
Posted 18 Apr 2018 at 22:23

Very well done mate.

dave

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 18 Apr 2018 at 22:55

Our very own marathon man ! So very proud of all your achievements .
Best wishes
Debby

User
Posted 19 Apr 2018 at 07:19
Kevin

Congratulations and well done on your recent achievements and all the fund raising you do.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 08 May 2018 at 16:11
I certain admire what younhave achieved in the face of severe adversity. I’m Gleason 4:5 T2c and once I get radiotherapy over with I would like to emulate your fundraising efforts, albeit in a reduced scale, cycling, as I cannot run due to degraded discs caused by too much road running in my 30’s!

My problem would be the incurred costs of entering and travelling on state pension.

User
Posted 20 May 2018 at 19:08
I don’t come on here very often so Ive only just seen your update mate (although I had kept up to date with your progress as you know) Just wanted to say thanks for the shout out at the cheering point during London marathon. It defo gave me a big lift!
User
Posted 23 May 2018 at 21:33

I always feel a little uncomfortable writing good stuff when I know that many are having a tough time of it but i hope that those new to advanced prostate cancer or worried that there is no future but currently treading water read this and take some hope.

T4n1m1a Gleason 9, I have been on abiraterone now for 28 months and today  my PSA was it’s lowest ever at 0.06 

my onco has always said that as my PSA was 342 on diagnosis an increase in PSA will be the signal that stuff is not going right so a further drop this month (0.08 last and a few months ago the lowest was 0.11) has left him speechless and me happy. 

Those who have been here a while know that I run (well shuffle) ultramarathons, I have done a few this year already and have loads more lined up. they All raise funds and profile  for Pcuk (my change in avatar is me running in the Sahara this year) so my lower score just means I can carry on doing so for a bit longer. I know it won’t last forever but I feel I am making the most of it every day, even the rubbish ones.

hope those that can don’t waste the days now. I was presenting recently and said, on my demise, I won’t wish I watched more tv, felt sad or was selfish but I may wish I worked harder to keep  the friends I had,  went out and enjoyed life every day and did something to help others. If you can make the latter a reality as I try to then when the sad day comes we may not have so many or any regrets.

hope you all have a great day tomorrow, no matter what, never give up.

kev

User
Posted 23 May 2018 at 21:47
Thanks Kev as always wise words and hope .

Gary had his 8 weekly app yesterday and the PSA is still undetectable,fatigue is the main factor but he’s still managing to work full time and enjoy our 4th grandchild born on Sunday (4 in 22 months !)

Best wishes

Debby

User
Posted 24 May 2018 at 05:46
Hi Irun

Dont feel "uncomfortable writing good stuff" its encouraging and your achievements are absolutely amazing and inspirational.

Cheers

Bill

User
Posted 24 May 2018 at 09:26
Good to hear about your news Kevin,

Keep on shuffling.

dave

User
Posted 24 May 2018 at 11:17

Brilliant news Kev,

It is great to read your positive posts.

I will soon be on Abbi and can only hope that my results are as positive as yours

Regards

Dave

User
Posted 24 May 2018 at 21:08

Great to read your treatment is keeping your PSA amazingly low Kevin.

You are so right about making the most of each day. 

Thanks for your inspirational post and the positive news.

Ian

Ido4

User
Posted 24 May 2018 at 22:15
Thanks Kev.

I have been very negative but your posts are inspiring.

User
Posted 25 May 2018 at 18:37
Well said Kev.

Paul